Uncanny X-Men: Bachalo / Anka / what the heck???

Alias99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Alias99

Okay, one reason that I began reading the new Bendis run of Uncanny is that I fell in love with the artwork of Bachalo. But every few issues or so, they have Anka do the artwork, which I really do not care for at all. But what artwork is better is subjective and not even my point, it's just feeling (or lack of feeling) of continuity between the issues when the artwork keeps changing issue to issue that really bothers me. Anybody know why they are doing this???

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Because Bachalo can't draw twenty issues all by himself in a short amount of time, that's why Anka or Irving sometimes help him, but he remains the main artist anyway. The same happened with most of other Marvel titles, except for X-Factor that will keep Carmine di Giandomenico for the entire first year an over.

Alias99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veitha said:

Because Bachalo can't draw twenty issues all by himself in a short amount of time, that's why Anka or Irving sometimes help him, but he remains the main artist anyway. The same happened with most of other Marvel titles, except for X-Factor that will keep Carmine di Giandomenico for the entire first year an over.

Funny,that's exactly what one of the guys at my local comic book shop said ... that Bachalo in particular is known for being a very slow artist and so others need to back-fill him from time to time. But man ... I really do love his work!

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As much as i enjoy Bachalo's art, Emma, Magik and Dazzler in the same location require name tags with all the head shots and i foresee this happening in the future

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alias99: yeah many of the best artists are slow(take Quitely or Cassaday for example)

Lena_Dante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veitha said:

Because Bachalo can't draw twenty issues all by himself in a short amount of time, that's why Anka or Irving sometimes help him, but he remains the main artist anyway.

99% certain that Anka's actually the main artist now. IIRC he was saying on his tumblr that it's why he's no longer on art duties for Adjectiveless and he's said he's got the art done/going up through at least issue #24.

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veitha said:

Because Bachalo can't draw twenty issues all by himself in a short amount of time, that's why Anka or Irving sometimes help him, but he remains the main artist anyway.

99% certain that Anka's actually the main artist now. IIRC he was saying on his tumblr that it's why he's no longer on art duties for Adjectiveless and he's said he's got the art done/going up through at least issue #24.

then I didn't know that, I thought that Bachalo would have come back after Original Sin

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

@veitha said:

@alias99: yeah many of the best artists are slow(take Quitely or Cassaday for example)

J.H. Williams too. He often spends about two months on an issue, but the results are always pretty special. :)

Alias99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bachalo has done the art for this week's release (issue #22) and also for the first issue of #23 (Xavier's last will and testiment) with Anka set for art on #24.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@veitha said:

J.H. Williams too. He often spends about two months on an issue, but the results are always pretty special. :)

And Alex Ross, he takes forever too.

Alias99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Alias99

@koays said:

As much as i enjoy Bachalo's art, Emma, Magik and Dazzler in the same location require name tags with all the head shots and i foresee this happening in the future

*LOL* can't argue that one!

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alias99 said:

@koays said:

*LOL* can't argue that one!

hahaha yeah, now we have four blondes hanging in the same title with Bachalo, it's going to be hard to recognize everyone.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#13 god_spawn  Moderator

@veitha said:

@lena_dante said:

@veitha said:

then I didn't know that, I thought that Bachalo would have come back after Original Sin

It's kind of been a confusing ordeal. We've had Bendis say in response to a rumor that Anka taking up art duties and Bachalo leaving "why not both". But that is Bendis and he's often ambiguous with things he's said. I've heard that Bachalo will stay on til issue 25 (He's on the cover anyway) with Anka taking over after that as the main artist, but I heard that Bachalo would still be doing covers.

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veitha said:

@lena_dante said:

@veitha said:

It's kind of been a confusing ordeal. We've had Bendis say in response to a rumor that Anka taking up art duties and Bachalo leaving "why not both". But that is Bendis and he's often ambiguous with things he's said. I've heard that Bachalo will stay on til issue 25 (He's on the cover anyway) with Anka taking over after that as the main artist, but I heard that Bachalo would still be doing covers.

I hate the "Bendis mysteries". You can never know if he's lying or saying the truth both on Tumbrl and interviews lol

Anyway Bachalo+Anka is a good pairing for me.

Lena_Dante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn: Anka said on tumblr earlier today that he's got art up through issue 23 done, and is in the process of inking #24. I can't find it (because neither he or Bendis tag their asks), but I'm pretty certain that I saw the two of them having a convo about Kris being the main artist until otherwise stated.

Alias99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn said:

Oh god I hope that is not true ... I was complaining about about it not being Bachalo all the time, but now I'm looking at none of the time? Really hoping that's not the case :-(

On the other hand, Anka's work is much closer in nature to Bachalo than Irving's work, which I really don't care for at all in the Limbo dimension chapters (though maybe it worked for the feel of Limbo, wouldn't want it everyday). Anka has a Bachalo-feel to it.

But still would rather keep Bachalo! :-)

Lena_Dante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alias99: I actually thought that Irving's work was really well suited to the Limbo dimension chapters. It has a bit of an ethereal/otherworldly feel to it and I thought that worked really well with the overall feel of that arc.

Alias99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alias99: I actually thought that Irving's work was really well suited to the Limbo dimension chapters. It has a bit of an ethereal/otherworldly feel to it and I thought that worked really well with the overall feel of that arc.

Sort of agree with you, which is why I mentioned that it sort of worked for the limbo issues ... but I certainly wouldn't want to see every issue drawn that way :P

Lena_Dante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alias99: Definitely agree

Ideally I'd love to see Anka on an ongoing X-Men title and Mann on another.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@veitha: I'll miss Bachalo on the book. I'll admit in the beginning I was a little against him because the X-Men stuff that I first experienced him doing was really hit or miss for me. Then he got put on WATXM and the book, while it worked for the book, he switched to subtle cartoony touches in the book, and I much preferred Bradshaw. Then we got him on on UXM and he started pulling his really consistent and a gritty, graffiti type style to fit the book and I loved it. I loved watching the two main artists (Immonen and Bachalo) of the two main X books have such conflicting styles with Immonen's shiny, sleek, and refined art style and Bachalo with like his said his gritty, graffiti style. I do like Anka, but I would prefer Bachalo to stay on. I hope he stays on maybe as a guest to do a mini arc like Irving did every now and then, and the covers and I think Anka can portray the wide scale panels that Bachalo managed to capture, so I'm down with what is going on.

Alias99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Alias99

@god_spawn: "Graffiti-style" .... never thought about it, but yeah, that's exactly what it is like. Awesome!! :-)

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn: yeah, I didn't truly appreciate him during WaTXM, but I started to love his style in Uncanny. Let's just wait and see, but I'm pretty sure that he'll come back after Anka's Original Sin issues and he will work alongside him.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By HAWK2916

I think I must be the only one who doesnt care for Bachalo. I prefer Anka hands down. Bachalo's stuff looks like something my two year old did with the pencil legs and scribbles. All the blondes look alike and its just confusing.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally, I don't think his style fits the tone really (or maybe it just shouldn't?). And those redesigns he created for both Magik and Emma pretty damn bad as well.

Mr Marvel82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@veitha said:

@god_spawn: yeah, I didn't truly appreciate him during WaTXM, but I started to love his style in Uncanny. Let's just wait and see, but I'm pretty sure that he'll come back after Anka's Original Sin issues and he will work alongside him.

I feel the same. I really enjoy Bachelo's style for Uncanny. But I suppose he needs a break just like Immonen gets one ever so often from All New X-men.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By poisonfleur

@alias99 said:

Okay, one reason that I began reading the new Bendis run of Uncanny is that I fell in love with the artwork of Bachalo. But every few issues or so, they have Anka do the artwork, which I really do not care for at all. But what artwork is better is subjective and not even my point, it's just feeling (or lack of feeling) of continuity between the issues when the artwork keeps changing issue to issue that really bothers me. Anybody know why they are doing this???

I FELT EXACTLY THE SAME WITH ANKA WHEN HE DID THE ART IN XX-MEN. It was SOOOO disrupting my groove. hated it.