• 74 results
Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Koays

It's obvious that Marvel had big plans for Hope Summers, but sometime around AvX (issue one actually) it seems like 4 years of build up around the character, and multiple other characters storylines were dropped in favor of a cheap Crossover that didn't answer the questions that had been asked from the start.

In fact there are a lot of plotlines with her that didn't even get brushed over in slightest.:

Rogue:Leading up to Messiah Complex, Rogue had permanently absorbed the powers of Sunfire and also (through conflict with a villain) had her absorbtion powers ramped up to instant death touch. Following making contact with baby Hope, she was cured of the death touch and her powerset was whiped clean BUT she was also gifted with the ability to use the powers of others without touching them....did she get this from Hope or was this the evolution of her powers? Also when Hope returns Rogue finds herself feeling a connection to her and is willing to do whatever it takes to help her. This is never mentioned after Schism.

Bishop:Bishop despite being a dedicated X-Man, was willing to kill Hope as a baby in order to prevent his future from coming to pass and actually did end up shooting Xavier in the head. He chases her through multiple realities and timelines in an attempt to stop her from one day growing up and massacring a million humans....only we never see this future version of Hope in visits to his time, and the only future we do see that involves Hope is one in which the world was destroyed because the Avengers killed her.

The Lights:Before Hope, no mutants were being born post M-Day. After she returned however Cerebro began detecting new mutants again. These mutants all had unstable mutations and erratic personalities that only became stable after making physical contact with Hope. They were all dedicated to Hope and some even obsessed with pleasing her. We also received back story alluding to Hope having 5 heralds that would help her use the Phoenix to "fix" the world. We eventually got the Phoenix 5 and despite Idie becoming a major factor in Schism and WatX-Men the connection between Hope and the Lights is never mentioned again.

The Villains: Leading up to Messiah Complex, Mr. Sinister, Mystique, several Acolytes, Lady Deathstryke and the Marauders killed every precog the X-Men had access too and any future information was destroyed or compromised so that the X-Men wouldn't know about Hope's birth. Hope was so important that it got all of these villains to work together and coordinate themselves against the X-Men on a level that's not been repeated, even to the degree of having Mystique and Lady Mastermind infiltrate the X-Men for a time. And even when its over the X-Men still don't quite know why they went to those links.....and yet when Hope returned everyone from Sinister to Mystique ignored it. How did she go from worthy of a massive villain team-up to getting snarked at by Sinister in their first encounter?Jean Grey:This one has a lot of speculation, since its never confirmed that she is or isn't Jean's reincarnation. You can argue her appearance and phoenix connection, but Jean has been spotted twice sending messages to people since Hope's birth. Whether this is strictly the Phoenix connection or something more is never expanded on, and since AvX no one has even brought up Hope in reference to Jean.

SO my question is...Where do you guys think this was all going?

It seemed to be following a defined path up until a few months before AvX began and then it spiraled into a shameless hero vs hero event. so What do you think was supposed to happen?

jkojkojko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unfortunately story-lines get lost or brushed aside. It sucks.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jkojkojko: True, but this is a lot to brush aside though. I'm just curious what people think some of this couldve developed into

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I thought she would have been the part of the Phoenix Force put back on Earth to heal mutantkind which is why mutants began appearing again after she was born and she could heal Rogue of her death touch. Most likely she was supposed to give everyone back their powers after training and disappear back into the White Hot Room.

ultimatekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a very interesting topic. I was confused about all of those things too. And another thing that I noticed, I remember when Elixir looked at Hope and started to say something.

Elixir: AHHHHH!!!!! DON'T YOU GUYS SEE?! SHE IS NOT THE MESSIAH, SHE IS THE..............

But we never knew what Elixir was about to say because he fell into a coma. I wondered what he meant. Since he has the ability of biokinetic manipulation, he probably knows the bodily functions of a person just by looking at them. He probably meant that Hope was not saving the mutant race but killing it, again I don't know. With the way he was acting, it was probably in a negative manner as if Hope was destined to kill the mutant race.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@night4345: I was thinking something similar, what with Rachel, and the Cuckoo's all having their Phoenix pieces called back to the White Hot Room at one point. And Jean telling Emma to prepare, during a point when if she was Hope she would've been a child in the future at that point. I was thinking Hope was going to pull the "Im Jean" card and then be revealed to be the Phoenix.

@ultimatekey : Do you remember where that was from? The funny thing is that everyone who warned about Hope seemingly disappeared by AvX.

XsPectre28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes after this happened they basically wrote Elixer off after his involvement with Necrosha. as for Rogue she still has to touch people to gain their powers i think but yes Hope erased the death-touch and all the personalities in her head and to me i think that it was because Rogue's power were stuck in a stagnant state in order to protect her mind from being taken over completely by personalities she absorbed. i feel that that stagnant state is the same with the five lights before Hope touched them and i feel that Hope basically reset her power but it wasnt until Xavier and Danger made contact with & helped fix Rogue's powers during Manifest Destiny that Rogue gained full control of her powers. yes there was no reference to Hope at all before Messiah Complex and i find that funny because if thats the case but you have to take into account that bishop helped to change his future im figuring plus this future timeline was altered around the whole HoM arc as well and when the world was reset he had some new memories to mix with his original ones as what happened when he went to the AoA. when HoM happened he probably knew then that Hope was coming but he was biding his time. (Dont remember but was Bishop targeted as well when the villains were attempting to limit the xmens access to information surrounding Hope???) the five lights were originally the ones who were suppose to take up the Phoenix 5 position and i find that interesting because with their connection to Hope i felt that they (The Lights) wouldn't have been corrupted by the Phoenix the way (Cyclops, Emma, Namor, Colossus, & Magik) were because they were still connected to Hope & Hope would have maintained their Humanity for them. as for the villains, there hasn't a been a X-villain team up like this for a long time. i loved the idea but yes the fact that only Sinister had a run in with Hope after she returned was not fully received i mean we know what Mystique's reasoning was for helping him, to betray him so she could use Hope to save Rogue. but what was Sinister's real reason for acquiring her: for the Phoenix force?? because she was meant to save the mutant race??? or just because she was the first mutant born since M-day.... it was never reveal. as far as Jean grey connection i think Hope is or shall i saw was suppose to be either the portion/shard of the phoenix was in Jean's likeness(Phoenix 1 after she took on Jean's appearance) or that she is the 616 version of Rachel Grey because there has been no resolution on the fact of whether rachel is truly scott&jean's daughter or scott&phoenix(in jean's form's daughter)

i feel that before some of these other arcs since second Coming back stories should have came out on Hope, Rogue, Bishop, & the Lights to tie up the loose ends around them but what we did get is Hope currently in a coma

ultimatekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@night4345: I was thinking something similar, what with Rachel, and the Cuckoo's all having their Phoenix pieces called back to the White Hot Room at one point. And Jean telling Emma to prepare, during a point when if she was Hope she would've been a child in the future at that point. I was thinking Hope was going to pull the "Im Jean" card and then be revealed to be the Phoenix.

@ultimatekey : Do you remember where that was from? The funny thing is that everyone who warned about Hope seemingly disappeared by AvX.

This scene was from X-Force Vol 3 issue #16.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays:

Good thread! Was asking myself the same questions, but sadly, I have no answers, only additional questions to add :(

@xspectre28: Interesting thoughts about Bishop and how his memories were altered as a response to HOM, but this wasn't really the case for him, he just acted the way he did and his timeline was changed just because, or am I missing something?

XsPectre28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By XsPectre28

@adamtrmm said:

@koays:

Good thread! Was asking myself the same questions, but sadly, I have no answers, only additional questions to add :(

@xspectre28: Interesting thoughts about Bishop and how his memories were altered as a response to HOM, but this wasn't really the case for him, he just acted the way he did and his timeline was changed just because, or am I missing something?

idk, thats why i said a back story should have been done to wrap up everything revolving around Hope, if Bishop knew originally about Hope or any of the others that came from his timeline( Shard, Fitzroy, Kane, Greystone, Archer, Fixx) why did none of them other than Bishop make any mention or or reemerged when Hope popped up? (i think Fixx & Archer are still alive). also Cable's future also made reference to bishop's so why didnt cable know about Hope at first until Gambit told him the Phrase that cable used to discover the info about Hope in his own computer. the only excuse i could come up with is that with all the timeline alterations that occured the people that came from the future or have knowledge of the future should have known something because the knowledge should have been altered/overwritten with their old memories... the destiny diaries were targeted as well plus Mystique knew so that meant Destiny knew long before it happened which lead me to believe that destiny can see alternate futures as well.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@koays: You read my mind with this topis as i was just about to start a similar thread.

There is just so much potential with Hope and its sad to see it wasted. I think some of those dangling plotlines that you mentioned would have made for an excellent 50th anniversary event as opposed to BOTA or should have been incorporated in some way. Perhaps with the incursion stories in new avengers and future Xforce stories in Uncanny Avengers being told over in Remender's and Hickman's books we may see something done with Hope. This would also be an excellent platform for a student or new Xmen team to have to deal with.

In addition to the questions already posed, there is still the mystery as to who Hope's father is. I've toyed with the idea of her father being Stryfe. Vulcan. Sinister himself. Xorn as the collective or in a weird twist a rogue celestial that possessed or created a human body for himself. Or maybe she's some sort of hound creation from Ahab in the future or of course a shard of the Phoenix.

As far as the plotlines mentioned:

Rogue:Definitely wish this would be revisited. I always thought maybe Hope stabilized powers as well as upgraded them to their full potential. I could see how this could be somewhat dangerous if everyone was running around at omega level. With Rogue and her devotion to Hope I always felt that if there was going to be a Phoenix 5 that Rogue should have been included in it along with Cable, Cyclops, Psylocke or Rachel Grey, and Magneto making up the other members. I like that 5 better than what we got as far as those being connected to Hope. I wish Rogue's connection to Hope would somehow be revisited. I always wanted the indestructible Rogue to return but just with control over her powers to the extent that she would be capable of human contact but could also drain other powers when need be. I think the weakness from this though would have to be that when she borrows other powers they become dominant over the indestructible super strength and in fact she would vulnerable in this state as she can be harmed just like whoever she borrowed powers. Also if she holds on too long then her personality starts to be overcome by theirs.

Bishop:Though im not a huge fan of how Bishop's character was turned into a villain.... I thought it was at least interesting to see his motivations. In fact I cant understand why he was the only one going down this path. This would have made for a far more impactful Schism imo if it was about what to do with Hope based on the future. I can those following Bishop in thinking that Hope is an abomination and needs to be destroyed or at least stopped while the other side would look at her as the savior of the mutant race. I still wish the Bishop thing could be corrected maybe making the baby hunting version different from the Xman. The Xman Bishop I could see as believing Hope was detrimental to the future but feeling she could be somehow stopped or rehabilitated and therefore would keep her close becoming a second father figure so that if the time came and the need arose he would be there to take her out if need be. Or it could be that his mind was altered in the same way Logan's was in the Old man logan story and this is why he saw that dystopian future resulting from Hope's actions. I still want something done about this.

The Lights: I never really bought into the Lights story though it was cool to see more mutants being born. I loved Idie, Kenji and Transonic (though i wasnt a fan of the shapeshifting into flying fish and all- the superspeed is enough for me) Never cared for Teon and Velocidad. I guess if they had been the heralds for Hope and the Phoenix the story would have been tailored to the younger class and not necessarily the Xmen and Avengers. I guess with this story the simple approach would have been best in that the 5 would have helped Hope fix the damage that Scarlet witch had done and would have restored the X-gene. Either that or it could have played out somewhat similar to how the AVX story went in that Hope and the Lights would have made a utopia in which mutants were dominant and any opposers were dealt with in a similar way to how Magik dealt with them and then a Schism could have resulted in how to deal with them or whether to oppose them or not.

The Villains: This is something Ive been curious about and have wondered about forever. All i can chalk it up to is Hope being an unlimited resource of power and any faction wanting to have her under their own control. With Hope's power possibly the villains could win out and mutants could be become the dominant species. As far as Sinister is concerned, ive always thought the idea of him being Hope's father could be somewhat interesting. If not her father then, possibly Louise Spalding was a clone or creation of Sinister like Maddie Pryor was. I also thought that perhaps Sinister wanted to possess Hope and her power to clone her or in the far bigger picture to start and win the inevitable war he wanted against Apocalypse. Having Hope in such a war and being able to start it on his own terms would be great motivation for having her under his control. In fact the Apocalypse-Sinister War is something I've wanted to actually happen for a long time and this would have been a perfect jump off point imo. Maybe Sinister and Mystique figured that the Xmen would tear themselves apart when Hope returned and they could just wait in the shadows and clean up the scraps.

Jean Grey:Hope could have been very interesting as a reincarnation of Jean Grey or even Maddie Pryor. Her being the 616 contemporary of Rachel would have definitely made her a bigger mystery as far as her origins. or at the very least she would have just had to be a child of the Phoenix immaculate conception style lol. The fact that Jean was warning people about Hope is very interesting though. In my own mind I explained it away after thinking about the White Hot Room. My reasoning is that some of the other Phoenix host in the White Hot Room felt that things in 616 weren't working and that it needed to be burned away. Subsequently they proceeded to destroy any and all possible futures and conversely plan to destroy the current 616 with the creation of Hope using a shard of the Phoenix force. Of course Jean wants to protect her friends and is going against the other Phoenix host. I know it may be kind of convoluted but it could be interesting and could put to rest questions about the White hot Room and what happened with the loss of the Phoenix force for some like Rachel grey and Korvus and the collection of the different shards of the force which Jean was gathering. My thought was with a story like this we could get Jean returning and along with the Xmen battling the other Phoenix host from the White Hot Room. After it was over the 616 could be rebooted and Jean would be possibly returned but only as a TK/TP and not the Phoenix. The cosmic Phoenix force would be gone maybe entombed in the earth like I believe Bete Noir is. But either way no more Phoenix stories lol.

I really wish the whole Hope thing would be resolved. In fact that could be an interesting direction in which to take things as the books now seem to be lacking any direction imo

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

@koays:

idk, thats why i said a back story should have been done to wrap up everything revolving around Hope, if Bishop knew originally about Hope or any of the others that came from his timeline( Shard, Fitzroy, Kane, Greystone, Archer, Fixx) why did none of them other than Bishop make any mention or or reemerged when Hope popped up? (i think Fixx & Archer are still alive). also Cable's future also made reference to bishop's so why didnt cable know about Hope at first until Gambit told him the Phrase that cable used to discover the info about Hope in his own computer. the only excuse i could come up with is that with all the timeline alterations that occured the people that came from the future or have knowledge of the future should have known something because the knowledge should have been altered/overwritten with their old memories... the destiny diaries were targeted as well plus Mystique knew so that meant Destiny knew long before it happened which lead me to believe that destiny can see alternate futures as well.

There's an issue of X-Factor late in the run where we see how Layla Millers powers work. We see her changing events in small ways and the information she knows about the future changes as she makes the slightest of adjustments. If we follow that logic then Bishop's knowledge would've been constantly changing, and without Layla's programmed knowledge would change with it. The strongest Precog we see is Destiny since she can plan past even time travel events, so what's in her diaries would be the only information Pre-House of M that might contain info on Hope.

Remember M-Day erased mutants in alternate timelines and futures too, so it's safe to say that before M-Day Hope may not have even existed in other timelines. It's safe to say that Layla Miller was the only one prior to House of M who had any definite knowledge of Hope's existence/role, because her future self visited her before then.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Koays

@hawk2916 said:

@koays:

The Villains: This is something Ive been curious about and have wondered about forever. All i can chalk it up to is Hope being an unlimited resource of power and any faction wanting to have her under their own control. With Hope's power possibly the villains could win out and mutants could be become the dominant species. As far as Sinister is concerned, ive always thought the idea of him being Hope's father could be somewhat interesting. If not her father then, possibly Louise Spalding was a clone or creation of Sinister like Maddie Pryor was. I also thought that perhaps Sinister wanted to possess Hope and her power to clone her or in the far bigger picture to start and win the inevitable war he wanted against Apocalypse. Having Hope in such a war and being able to start it on his own terms would be great motivation for having her under his control. In fact the Apocalypse-Sinister War is something I've wanted to actually happen for a long time and this would have been a perfect jump off point imo. Maybe Sinister and Mystique figured that the Xmen would tear themselves apart when Hope returned and they could just wait in the shadows and clean up the scraps.

Jean Grey:Hope could have been very interesting as a reincarnation of Jean Grey or even Maddie Pryor. Her being the 616 contemporary of Rachel would have definitely made her a bigger mystery as far as her origins. or at the very least she would have just had to be a child of the Phoenix immaculate conception style lol. The fact that Jean was warning people about Hope is very interesting though. In my own mind I explained it away after thinking about the White Hot Room. My reasoning is that some of the other Phoenix host in the White Hot Room felt that things in 616 weren't working and that it needed to be burned away. Subsequently they proceeded to destroy any and all possible futures and conversely plan to destroy the current 616 with the creation of Hope using a shard of the Phoenix force. Of course Jean wants to protect her friends and is going against the other Phoenix host. I know it may be kind of convoluted but it could be interesting and could put to rest questions about the White hot Room and what happened with the loss of the Phoenix force for some like Rachel grey and Korvus and the collection of the different shards of the force which Jean was gathering. My thought was with a story like this we could get Jean returning and along with the Xmen battling the other Phoenix host from the White Hot Room. After it was over the 616 could be rebooted and Jean would be possibly returned but only as a TK/TP and not the Phoenix. The cosmic Phoenix force would be gone maybe entombed in the earth like I believe Bete Noir is. But either way no more Phoenix stories lol.

I really wish the whole Hope thing would be resolved. In fact that could be an interesting direction in which to take things as the books now seem to be lacking any direction imo

I like this, especially the thoughts on the villains and Jean. I think everyone was so focused on the idea that Hope was the reincarnation of Jean and that Jean was telling them to prepare for her return, that it would've been a cool swerve that the little girl everyone has been dying for is actually the greatest threat. And the idea that a villain like Sinister knows this, or wants to use this for his own advantage is a factor that could've carried the X-Books from 2nd coming to now probably. Plus what you described would've been a great final farewell for the Phoenix and a good redemption (in the eyes of the fans) for the concept.

Personally i feel like had the Lights been better developed (possibly as older characters) they could've done played the role of the Phoenix 5 and then Hope could've gone a little bit mad with power like Cyclops did. That way we could've seen a little more credit given to Bishop chasing her across timelines, and had conflict between Hope's new mutants and the pre-M-Day ones...maybe with Rogue in the middle.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HAWK2916

@koays: " Personally i feel like had the Lights been better developed (possibly as older characters) they could've done played the role of the Phoenix 5 and then Hope could've gone a little bit mad with power like Cyclops did. That way we could've seen a little more credit given to Bishop chasing her across timelines, and had conflict between Hope's new mutants and the pre-M-Day ones...maybe with Rogue in the middle."

Now that is a great concept for the lights and Hope. I like giving Bishop some credibility and Rogue being stuck in the middle trying to bring order is some major development.

The thing is with Jean grey- White hot room thing and even the Apocalypse-Sinister war and involving Hope, those could still be revisited somewhat, if we could ever get out of the current doldrums everything is stuck in

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@koays: They didn't kill all the precogs.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares: Who'd they miss besides Blindfold?

@hawk2916: Yea, I almost feel as though the current X-Force book (considering how the previous volumes ended with Hope confronting Bishop and Stryfe) shouldve been about tying up the loose ends within Hope's backstory and should've at least had Bishop featured. I prefer big things like this to play out in main X-Men titles but it would've been cooler then waiting until Hope has lost all interest as a character.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: We're talking people the X-men had access to, right?

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares: Yea. I thought they pretty much went after everyone, and Cable was the only one who got the info.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Blindfold, but I'm sure there's at least one or two other characters.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares: They sent Exodus after Blindfold i think.....so it definetly wasn't for lack of trying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: True that.

After some digging through the wiki I've come up with a list of characters the X-men had access to that apparently have precognition that I don't recall being attacked: Franklin Richards, Talisman, Snowbird, and Kiden Nixon.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares: Well Franklin Richards can do anything but isn't competent enough to be on a radar, and I'm not sure the villains or the X-Men were aware of Kiden's existence/location even remotely.

Talisman and Snowbird are curious ones, due too their powersets and Northstar's recent return to the X-Men in the same book that Messiah Complex spun out of....so it's not like they completely forgot Alpha Flight.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: Your point about Franklin is a good one, and yeah, Kiden is kind of small fry.

It might be a case of people not doing their research about Alpha Flight. I don't think precognition is a main power for either Talisman or Snowbird.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares: Yea most likely the reason, though they could've just thrown in a line about losing contact with Alpha Flight or something....if only to make the X-Men seem more isolated

ultimatekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ultimatekey

Also, do you guys think that Hope had an influence on Husk's secondary mutation? After all, she started changing when Hope appeared from the future. Maybe this could be one of the examples where Hope is affecting some mutants in some way.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultimatekey: idk. Where was Husk even at from second coming until WatX-men began?

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jkojkojko said:

Unfortunately story-lines get lost or brushed aside. It sucks.

Basically. Or they get changed when the senior creative team decides to go in a new direction, especially to justify mega events. I got interested in the initial conception of how the Phoenix storyline would have played out for similar reasons to what you bought out - what a surprise to run into stories about drama behind-the-scenes, editorial mandates & personality clashes, and multiple endings/plotlines.

I think a lot of the posters above are finding those points that seem like they were initially crafted for Hope, but got lost somewhere along the way: The Five Lights seem to have been tailor made to be Hope's Phoenix Five, but I think they started to think of the idea of bringing the Original 5 X-Men back (Jean), which meant Hope was no longer important enough to justify spending that much time talking about her holding the Phoenix (And I think they realized they ran into a creative dead end - the Five Lights were set up anime style to be her protectors, but she didn't have anything to do, so they didn't have anything to do, and as a result, it was more interesting ((i.e. easier)) to just make the event about the main team members like Scott, Emma and Wolverine instead of characters no one really cared about). Since they decided she wouldn't be the host, and started building the AvX mega-event around other characters, she just ended up getting pushed to the background. Instead, the AvX event was pushed to set up the new status quo, which would focus on the time-displaced original X-Men team. As a result, the Five Lights, and Hope, are kind of lost in the shuffle, because their main storyline and reason for existence was moved to other characters.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Koays

@phoenixofthetides: I agree, I just think the catalyst for the change was probably more along the lines of "lets have the Avengers involved in the final part of the trilogy" and that evolved into AvX and as they were plotting along the way they decided to bring in the O5. Mostly because I doubt Marvel would sacrifice one of its precious events which they've built for so long for a book premise, but also because i think if they had really thought about the O5 before they considered AvX then they would've realized that the O5 in the present are much more interesting in a world where the mutant race is still decimated.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: Or maybe it was more along the lines of ""The Avengers" raked in a lot of money in the box office, so let's make the whole event about the Avengers v. X-men matchups to make more money!" Along the way, any attempt of storytelling cohesion fell by the wayside in favor of splash pages, and fan-service matchups.

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DarkDay

I feel like in my mind, Hope and the Five Lights just would have been a much more interesting Phoenix and Phoenix Five to me. I guess honestly they would have been the Phoenix Six, but they could have played it as Hope being the most powerful and the five basically falling into enforcer/general roles. This would have partially vindicated Bishop but then the story ending with the revival of the mutants basically would have vindicated both Cable and Apocalypse. I know it is just speculation, but I always assumed that it was a massive mutant related emergency that caused Bishop's future to go the way that it did (which gels with Cable version's story about millions of human deaths at Hope's hands), but as Cable started Cable himself made it seem as if Bishop was only seeing the negative outcomes of what was to come and thus it was up to Cable whom could see the even larger picture to make sure things go as they were going.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ultimatekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ultimatekey

@koays said:

@ultimatekey: idk. Where was Husk even at from second coming until WatX-men began?

I mean she was with the X-Men in Second Coming. Also, if you go on Marvel wiki, it says that ever since the return of Hope Summers, Husk has been going through a secondary mutation. And I first noticed that in X-Men: Regenesis, when she had flakes in her chair.

Also, I wonder how the 5 lights would look as the Phoenix Six. Oya would look majestic and awesome since she is named after the Yoruba goddess, Oya. She would have power over all of the elements. Kind of like the super supreme version of Storm.

No Caption Provided

Zero would look all anime-y and manga-y. Probably just some chaotic amalgamation of flesh and machinery. I don't know what he would have control over?

Transonic would look like a otherworldly, beautiful, mysterious, alien. I picture her looking like Xylene from Ben 10.

No Caption Provided

I do not know what power she would have over though? Maybe creating new technology since she has genius-level intellect and the Phoenix influence increased her intellect more. Or maybe powers over the cosmic side of Marvel since she looks like an alien.

Primal would look like a idk, a half human, half beast/bear, or a human wearing a beast cloak(like a caveman). He would have dominion over the animals and the different environments on Earth.

Velocidad would probably look like Namor, since he would be that type of guy to show off his chest. And I guess, he would have control over time and space and his Phoenix powers allow him to control other forms of dimensions.

And Hope would be..............................just Hope. Just like how she was in AvX but more powerful. She would be like their leader and steer them in the right direction that is until the influence of the Phoenix corrupts them.

What do you guys think?

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Koays

@ultimatekey: I think i remember Husk shedding like that...can't remember though

But yea, definitely close to what i had pictured for the Lights as the Phoenix 5/Hope's disciples. Just having their powers and ages advanced to the highest level so that the X-Men would have to through everything at them just to beat one. Maybe not as far with some of the cosmic stuff, but definitely in another class, so that it's believable that if even one survived they'd be a huge threat to look out for.

Though i also think it would've been cool to see Hope activate other mutants as an army of sorts that all have the same crazy dedication that rogue and the lights had.

ultimatekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@ultimatekey: I think i remember Husk shedding like that...can't remember though

But yea, definitely close to what i had pictured for the Lights as the Phoenix 5/Hope's disciples. Just having their powers and ages advanced to the highest level so that the X-Men would have to through everything at them just to beat one. Maybe not as far with some of the cosmic stuff, but definitely in another class, so that it's believable that if even one survived they'd be a huge threat to look out for.

Though i also think it would've been cool to see Hope activate other mutants as an army of sorts that all have the same crazy dedication that rogue and the lights had.

Would it be crazy to have an idea where the five lights fuse together and create an amalgam of their powers? And the combined powers of Hope and all the mutants in the world should stop them? I liked Zero as the antagonist in Generation Hope, maybe he would be the driving force in the rebellion against Hope and he could be like that one guy who wants to destroy the world to save it (like Seymour Guado from FFX). And influence others to rebel against Hope, just like in the GH series.I can see Zero resurrecting Zeeshan and killing the bullies who made him commit suicide and that can be seen as him becoming corrupted by the influence of the Phoenix just like how Emma Frost killed that pilot in front of his family. I can totally see the seventh light, the baby with immense telepathic powers be used as a plot device and Hope used her Phoenix powers to quickly train him and mature. I can see the baby's mom dying and she wants the X-Men to take care of her baby. Now as soon as Hope got the chance, she matured him into an adult, like i guess the prime of his life, like the situation Magneto is currently in. And this could be an interesting character development for the telepathic baby. He could rival the Stepford cuckoos, Emma Frost, Psylocke, Kid Omega, Blindfold, Legion, Cassandra Nova, and Charles Xavier. I see that he has that potential because from his mother's womb, he made everyone in the whole hospital and in the area AROUND the hospital pass out. So yeah, interesting potential.

A lot of people thought that Generation Hope was terrible and awful. I beg to differ. I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!! I especially loved the showdown between Zero and Hope and how Martha Johannson (a background character that saved the day instead of being a plot device, other than just a brain in a jar). It totally reminded me of the New X-Men series where she made John Sublime committed suicide. Maybe the telepathic baby can be like MJ defeated Zero. BTW, it was totally BADASS when MJ defeated Zero.

Martha: Well if its any consolation to you Zero.................................................

Zero: Wait, Martha, l was just kidding!!!!!

Martha: I never had a heart to break!!!!!!!!!!!

That was ultimately pure badass and one the best moments in comic books in my opinion. Martha saved the day! I wished they used her more but mostly, she has been comic relief but i believe she has interesting potential. They should do the same with Ernst because her role right now is just background character. When will we see her awesome display of super strength?

What do you guys think?

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultimatekey: The part about the telepathic baby sounds interesting for sure. Also bringing back Zero. You make me want to go back and read GH since I never really gave it a try. The only one of the lights I even halfway liked a little was Idie but WATX went a long way to destroying that character for me. I still sort of wish that a story or more to the point a discovery would be made showing rhat Hope is linked/connected in some way to all the newly manifesting mutants since M-day and that maybe she controls them in some way almost like projecting her feelings and thoughts. Some sort of empathic link. Hell since they are trying to reveal all these secrets with this Original Sin thing, I would rather see some revealing about Hope and her origins as opposed to the Xavier-Mystique (got to take everything a step further to play off the movie) wedding thing

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays:

What if hope summers was just the phoenix force in human form like when it took jean grey's place. Thats my theory

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays:

What if hope summers was just the phoenix force in human form like when it took jean grey's place. Thats my theory

That also makes alot of sense. If maybe that's what Elixir meant when he started panicking at her appearance. And when Jean gave Emma her warning to "prepare" Hope was already born and in the future so it could be argued that she's couldnt be Jean. Plus despite there being a bunch of Phoenix host, Hope is the only one not related to Jean to show signs of the Phoenix when she isnt being possessed by it.

I like the idea. Plus the Phoenix did say it took Jean's form to experience human feelings so what if it decided it wanted to do it again from birth.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@hopesummersforthefuture said:

@koays:

That also makes alot of sense. If maybe that's what Elixir meant when he started panicking at her appearance. And when Jean gave Emma her warning to "prepare" Hope was already born and in the future so it could be argued that she's couldnt be Jean. Plus despite there being a bunch of Phoenix host, Hope is the only one not related to Jean to show signs of the Phoenix when she isnt being possessed by it.

I like the idea. Plus the Phoenix did say it took Jean's form to experience human feelings so what if it decided it wanted to do it again from birth.

IKR now to hide it from bendis, lol.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@hopesummersforthefuture said:

@koays:

IKR now to hide it from bendis, lol.

Lol i don't think you have to hide interesting ideas from Bendis....he's pretty good at ducking them on his own.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

She was present during Second Coming, she was in at least three panels if memory serves. Here, have some pictures:

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares said:

@koays said:

She was present during Second Coming, she was in at least three panels if memory serves. Here, have some pictures:

Do you know if/where she was featured after that? or when she may have interacted with Hope? because i vaguely remember the weird shedding issue she had, though I may have just picked it up from the wiki as well

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: She appeared somewhere, I don't remember where, and she was talking with Cannonball (I think) about how she's apparently 'shedding to avoid her issues' or some such nonsense. Totally inconsistent with her past characterization, but then again that's nothing new.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By adamTRMM
No Caption Provided

Was it ever addressed since then?

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: ok hope was supposed to be jean grey reincarnated but fans didnt want that, so they made hope her own character. Why couldn't jean grey fans be patient and let hope be a reincarnated jean and wait until she grows up. i would have been happy if hope was a reincarnated jean grey but no jean grey fans wanted adult jean so they blew it for the rest of us.

Also i find it strange that hope summers is born in cooperstown, alaska and scott summers is from anchorage, alaska. they are both alaskans, lol.

oh i also want hope summers to meet up with emma, scott, magneto and magik......bendis didnt deliver us that.....it looks like there would be alot of drama

Avatar image for lordofallhumans
LordOfAllHumans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: ok hope was supposed to be jean grey reincarnated but fans didnt want that, so they made hope her own character. Why couldn't jean grey fans be patient and let hope be a reincarnated jean and wait until she grows up. i would have been happy if hope was a reincarnated jean grey but no jean grey fans wanted adult jean so they blew it for the rest of us.

Also i find it strange that hope summers is born in cooperstown, alaska and scott summers is from anchorage, alaska. they are both alaskans, lol.

oh i also want hope summers to meet up with emma, scott, magneto and magik......bendis didnt deliver us that.....it looks like there would be alot of drama

Because it made absolutely no sense to have Jean be reincarnated when we know she has a dead body and have already seen that it is simple matter of just putting her soul back in it to revive it. I liked the idea of Hope when I thought it was finally Rachel being born in 616.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hopesummersforthefuture: idk. For me I just don't like the idea since we'd essentially have to say goodbye to Jean and accept that she's never coming back. Hope is cool and the idea that she could be Jean was interesting.... But I like Jean Grey as a character, I don't want a watered down or halfassed version of her (*cough* Teen Jean *cough*).

And eventually Hope grew on me. They just assassinated her character during Gen Hope and AvX.

I'd love to see her interact with Scott one more time. Its like if there is one piece of fall out we never got to see it was Hope and the X-Men after everything that happened

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hopesummersforthefuture:

ok hope was supposed to be jean grey reincarnated but fans didnt want that, so they made hope her own character. Why couldn't jean grey fans be patient and let hope be a reincarnated jean and wait until she grows up. i would have been happy if hope was a reincarnated jean grey but no jean grey fans wanted adult jean so they blew it for the rest of us.

I don't think any writer (Hope's creators were K/Y, Carey and Brubaker I think?) ever admitted they planned her to be Jean Grey reincarnated. Or am I missing something?

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@hopesummersforthefuture: idk. For me I just don't like the idea since we'd essentially have to say goodbye to Jean and accept that she's never coming back. Hope is cool and the idea that she could be Jean was interesting.... But I like Jean Grey as a character, I don't want a watered down or halfassed version of her (*cough* Teen Jean *cough*).

And eventually Hope grew on me. They just assassinated her character during Gen Hope and AvX.

I'd love to see her interact with Scott one more time. Its like if there is one piece of fall out we never got to see it was Hope and the X-Men after everything that happened

i know doesnt bendis like drama but then again havok joined cyclops. so maybe once x-force ends, cable will join cyclops and get hope out of the coma which is funny cause cable was in a coma.

didnt get this notification

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is something I want resolved. I always thought Hope would have worked as Jean Grey reincarnated if they had left Jean dead. I guess Hope could still work as the Phoenix in the form of Jean Grey. I even thought it could be interesting if she was either a rogue celestial in human form or at least the child of a rogue celestial and a human.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By HAWK2916

Or we could really get stupid and make Hope the offspring of Maddie Pryor and Havok back when she was Goblin Queen and he was her prince. Make it that by means of some grandiose spell she sent her child into the future to reappear at a certain time. Lol

Really the best idea is what @koays was saying about her being the Phoenix