The Goods and Bads of X-Men Cartoons

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It's been a while since anyones spoken about the X-Cartoons, and with the movie and comics set to make a big impact in May it may be some time before we do again.

So what are your biggest likes and gripes for the X-Men cartoons, and would you have liked to see them continued?

X-Men: The Animated Series

X-Men Evolution

Wolverine and the X-Men

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

X-Men: TASM: Liked everything about this except the poor animation and inconsistent character designs.

X-Men: Evolution: Didn't take to the love-triangle, drama llama non-sense, which was really strong in it's first season. Some characters are changed too much. Got better afterward. It's an interesting concept though.

Wolverine & The X-Men: Eh, not that interested in a series centering around Wolverine. Didn't watch much of this.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Wolverine008

I would have liked to see Wolverine and the X-Men continued. I'm a big Wolverine fan, and I personally feel the cartoon honestly handled the dilemma he faced trying to step and being a teacher for mutants while still struggling with his flaws better than comics are currently doing so(That has been a mixed bag). Steve Blum voicing Wolverine is awesome sauce to boot.

The other character portrayals were pretty sweet too. Especially enjoyed Gambit's appearances. The animation was pretty sweet all around as well.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X-Men Tas was great because it spawned a whole generation of X-Men fans, and brought a lot of famous stories to life.

However, the show is extremely dated, inconsistent and I never liked how they just had the same roster for 5 seasons, and no Kitty Pryde was also a negative

X-Men Evolution was probably the best X-Men show to date. It was great at handling such a large cast

But, the first season was terrible and making it thematically more realistic limited it. I also thought they used the Brotherhood far too much

I hated Wolverine and the X-Men. The story was full of holes, a lot of famous X-Men were not developed at all and just relegated to background characters, the character designs were horrendous, the dialogue was bad. Seriously, in one episode Quicksilver asks Wolverine why he just doesn't give up and Wolverines response is "because you're stupid"....seriously. Did a child write that?? The animation was sort of cheap and dodgy .......the theme song was alright though

Cutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I like them all but most of all I like X-Men: The Animated Series I agree with Cattle...It brought a lot of famous stories to life. Also in this cartoon series is when I, for the first time in my life, heard about the Acolytes...when they came out in Sanctuary Part 1 and 2. That's when I wanted to know more about them and started to buy every issue they were in. Also DOFP...were actually my favorites.

X-Men Evolution wasn't really even close to the actual X-Men Universe. They were all kids and no Acolytes lol. It was...o...k.

Wolverine and The X-Men was o.k to me only because we got to see more of Magneto in Genosha and of course...with his Acolytes...lol. Glad to see Mercury serving with the Acolytes.

devilsgrin81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X-Men TAS is the greatest animated series ever made... lol.. i may be a little bit OTT on that, but its right up there. Best X-Men series hands down. Consistent characterisation. Well translated from the page. Jubilee over Kitty (yay)! Storm had her epic power moments. Phoenix/Dark Phoenix ("JEEAAAN" "JEEAAN" he cries). Gambit got his assassins/thieves eps. Storm vs Callisto. Wolverine vs. Sabretooth. Apocalypse and the Horsemen. Just brilliant.

X-Men: Evolution... from start to finish.. a complete piece of shit.

Wolverine and the X-Men... parts were great, Emma for example. Other parts sucked - Wolverine being the only one Charles could reach? For real? Mediocre most of the time, occasionally excelltent.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

X-Men: The Animated Series -hated it as a kid. Badly drawn, poorly animated, watered down versions of the characters and stories I liked in the comics. That I hated all of Jim Lee's costume designs probably didn't help either. I do get a laugh out of it now, but I never got why anyone who had read the comics would actually think it was any good.

X-Men Evolution -I liked the idea of how they re-imagined the team for more teen drama, sort of, but I just wasn't a fan of the execution. Making Wolverine like Brock to Xavier's Rusty Venture right off the bat was kind of cool, but none of the character dynamics I liked from the comics were really there since most of the characters had been mostly re-imagined. Storm was wasted as usual, Kitty and Nightcrawler were basically completely different characters pulled out of Saved by the Bell re-runs, and the character designs were even worse than Lee's.

Wolverine and the X-Men -this one I actually liked the most of the three, having the most stories/versions of the stories, the best animation, voice acting, and characterization of the bunch. Still don't understand why Wolverine had to be the leader when Storm was there (you can be the main character without being the leader, right?), or why it had to all come back to yet another bastardization of DPS, but otherwise this one was by far my favorite. Would have loved another season.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By poisonfleur

X-men TAS- Pros: A cult classic. The Theme song was/is epic! Please bring that back! Brought strong great structure to who the X-men are (especially in voice & screen time) and their major story lines. Cons: As great and classic at it is... it's a tad outdated and some of the episodes are out of order. Also, there weren't enough reoccurring characters: Iceman, Psylocke, Nightcrawler, Emma, etc.

X-men Evo- Pros: Neat direction with certain characters like Rogue, Scarlet Witch, Mystique and Apocalypse. This series gave us X-23! Cons: No Phoenix Saga, No Emma & No Psylocke. Storm and Jubilee could have had more significant roles. Sypke should have been Marrow.

Wolverine and the X-men- Pros: GREAT VOICE ACTORS! I wouldn't change too much there. Selene had her first animated appearance. And the plot was pretty good aside from all the Wolverine focus. Cons: Stupid title. I didn't like Wolverine's role in the series, practically trading places with Cyclops. Storm & Forge were TERRIBLE-- I hated both of them in this series. Random love interests: Storm and Angel? Why-- Forge when we have Forge. Nightcrawler and Scarlet Witch?? And why was Psylocke a villain? And UGGGH STORM'S HAIR WAS TERRIBLE-- actually her whole character design was bad.

X-men Anime- Pros: If you like the movies, the anime is very much influenced by them. The anime had a very Resident Evil feel as well. Storm completely freezing a ship solid was cool. Plus Storm was definitely the sex symbol in this series. Cons: The voice acting was flat out bad. I rolled my eyes almost every episode. As a whole it felt like the production team didn't really understand any of the characters. The worst part of the series is Storm getting tired every time she uses her powers-- Dafuq... They really based her off of Halle Berry. Fail. Another thing that bothered me is all the made up characters that easily could have been characters from the comics.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My own

X-Men the Animated Series- I think if you had to introduce the X-Men to kids who had never read a comic, this is the way to do it. You get a good helping of everyones backstory (individual villains, allies, family etc), a pretty good interpretation of characters and what is accepted as the status quo for the X-Men (A team living out of the mansion guided by Xavier). That said it effected how i viewed certain X-Men concepts to the point that I dislike Omega Red, Gambit's Guild wars origin, and Wolverine/Jean all in part because i didn't like the episode that the series introduced me to them in. All in all, i think another X-Men show should take what they did right to heart, but i'm glad this show ended.

X-Men Evolution- Probably my favorite show of the 3. By this point i was familiar enough with comics to appreciate a new character when they showed up but not be offended by the changes. To me Evolution was great because it was it's own thing and i think had it started off as an AU comic, people wouldn't have been as bothered. It was great at slow builds as well, with Magneto and Apocalypse slowly being built up before the confrontations. I would've liked to see this continue, but only for another season, because i felt the story was just beginning to build its own world before it was canceled.

Wolverine and the X-Men - Hmm. The great things about this series are Emma Frost, Genosha, and characterization. Emma is great, the X-Men are in character or believably close , and everything about Genosha, from Magneto's family to the population, had me interested. That said, this show made me actively hate Wolverine as a marketing device and character. The problem is basically summed up in two episodes, the one in which Xavier says it absolutely has to be Wolverine who leads the team and the one in which Nightcrawler and Scarlet Witch are captured by Mojo. The fact that Xavier never explains what about Wolverine makes him the guy that needs to lead the team is lazy since the writers never explained their premise. But the fact that after just getting through a Wolverine centered episode we had him thrown without explanation into the Nightcrawler one bothered me more, because by that point i was tired of Wolverine. Still i wouldn't have been upset if it got another season to work on itself but the moral of the story is that the X-Men shouldn't have a main character.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

X-Men: The Animated Series

PROS:

It helped introduce me to the X-Men universe and I really loved the fact that it was the most faithful to the X-Men comics at the time. I also loved all of the characters in that show, especially Wolverine, Rogue and Gambit.

CONS

The animation was a bit terrible at times and sometimes, the stories got a little too dramatic for my tastes. I also would have liked it more if Colossus and Nightcrawler had actually become apart of the team in later seasons instead of focusing on the same characters over and over again.

X-Men: Evolution

PROS

The animation was much better this time around and I loved the fact that we were introduced to new characters such as Kitty Pryde and Nightcrawler at this point. I also enjoyed the re-imaginings of these characters and what they would be like if they were placed in a high school setting.

CONS

The first few seasons was a bit slow in storytelling and some of the episodes were a little hard to sit through since they barely focused on the super heroic natures of the characters. Also, somewhat similar to X-Men: the Animated Series, I would have liked it better if Colossus and Gambit were introduced a bit earlier in the show, so that we would get to know more about these two later on.

Wolverine and the X-Men

PROS

Again, the animation was really good and they actually had different story lines that came from the comics such as making it partially based off of Grant Morrison's run on New X-Men (but barely). I also loved seeing Nightcrawler get his time to shine in this series and the same with Emma Frost.

CONS

It focused too heavily on Wolverine, to the point where the other X-Men characters didn't really do much of anything, except be saved by Wolverine multiple times. Also, the show got cancelled so soon, that we didn't get the chance to see where all of these stories were going.

goobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked all 3.

Avatar image for deactivated-5baa5ef93cf0f
deactivated-5baa5ef93cf0f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X-Men the Animated Series was awesome. The team was cool and diverse in their powers and personalities, and they all got their time in the spotlight. And it was my introduction to the X-Men at 4 or 5 years old.

X-Men Evolution was pretty good. There was too much ridiculous highschool drama and too little focus on the fact that the characters were mutants a lot of the time though. All the characters were likeable, and Wolverine was actually a badass (like he's supposed to be).

Wolverine and the X-Men was hit or miss, unfortunately, I felt like it usually missed. There was WAY too much focus on Wolverine, to the point where it became ridiculous and even laughable at times. Not to mention the name itself, what's the point of having a team if you're gonna make the title about a specific member of the team, and consequently, completely diminish the role and importance of every other team member. Imagine how stupid it would be if there was a series called "Aquaman and the Justice League" or "Ironhide and the Transformers". But as we all know, this was just another case of Marvel whoring out Wolverine just like in every other form of media involving the X-Men since the movies came out, because everybody loves Hugh Jackman, and Marvel loves money. There were some cool story lines that haven't been explored in an X-Men cartoon yet though, and some cool characters in the extremely brief moments when the focus wasn't 100% on Wolverine. Also, alcoholic, overly-violent, trenchcoat Cyclops was hilarious.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mn_logan said:

X-Men the Animated Series was awesome. The team was cool and diverse in their powers and personalities, and they all got their time in the spotlight. And it was my introduction to the X-Men at 4 or 5 years old.

X-Men Evolution was pretty good. There was too much ridiculous highschool drama and too little focus on the fact that the characters were mutants a lot of the time though. All the characters were likeable, and Wolverine was actually a badass (like he's supposed to be).

Wolverine and the X-Men was hit or miss, unfortunately, I felt like it usually missed. There was WAY too much focus on Wolverine, to the point where it became ridiculous and even laughable at times. Not to mention the name itself, what's the point of having a team if you're gonna make the title about a specific member of the team, and consequently, completely diminish the role of every other team member. Imagine how stupid it would be if there was a series called "Aquaman and the Justice League" or "Ironhide and the Transformers". But as we all know, this was just another case of Marvel whoring out Wolverine just like in every other form of media involving the X-Men since the movies came out, because everybody loves Hugh Jackman, and Marvel loves money. There were some cool story lines that haven't been explored in an X-Men cartoon yet though, and some cool characters in the extremely brief moments when the focus wasn't 100% on Wolverine. Also, alcoholic, overly-violent, trenchcoat Cyclops was hilarious.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5baa5ef93cf0f
deactivated-5baa5ef93cf0f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08 said:

@mn_logan said:

Wolverine and the X-Men was hit or miss, unfortunately, I felt like it usually missed. There was WAY too much focus on Wolverine, to the point where it became ridiculous and even laughable at times. Not to mention the name itself, what's the point of having a team if you're gonna make the title about a specific member of the team, and consequently, completely diminish the role of every other team member. Imagine how stupid it would be if there was a series called "Aquaman and the Justice League" or "Ironhide and the Transformers". But as we all know, this was just another case of Marvel whoring out Wolverine just like in every other form of media involving the X-Men since the movies came out, because everybody loves Hugh Jackman, and Marvel loves money. There were some cool story lines that haven't been explored in an X-Men cartoon yet though, and some cool characters in the extremely brief moments when the focus wasn't 100% on Wolverine. Also, alcoholic, overly-violent, trenchcoat Cyclops was hilarious.

No Caption Provided

Come on man, you know you laughed when he showed up looking like a hobo.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mn_logan said:
@wolverine08 said:

@mn_logan said:

No Caption Provided

Come on man, you know you laughed when he showed up looking like a hobo.

Haha, I thought I was the only one whom found that hilarious. I laughed out loud when Logan went looking for Scott in one of the first episodes and found in apartment him looking like a bum.

Tohoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X-Men: The Animated Series- First kinda introduced me to the x-men giving me a familiarity with the characters. While I enjoyed the story I hated the animation especially as a child.

X-Men Evolution- As being one of the target audience when the show came out, I loved it. Looking back at it, the high school drama was ridiculous and the characters didn't behave like their comic counter parts well. As its own thing, separate from the world of comics, I enjoyed it.

Wolverine and the X-Men- When it came out I never got into it. Mainly for its Wolverine-centric plot and title. And with X-men last stand and later on X-men origins wolverine, I was put off entirely.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X-men Anime- Pros: If you like the movies, the anime is very much influenced by them. The anime had a very Resident Evil feel as well. Storm completely freezing a ship solid was cool. Plus Storm was definitely the sex symbol in this series. Cons: The voice acting was flat out bad. I rolled my eyes almost every episode. As a whole it felt like the production team didn't really understand any of the characters. The worst part of the series is Storm getting tired every time she uses her powers-- Dafuq... They really based her off of Halle Berry. Fail. Another thing that bothered me is all the made up characters that easily could have been characters from the comics.

Never completely finished this one (mostly because of the voice acting), though the Storm thing i feel is kind of across the board. She sort of gets the Superman treatment in the all shows, in that she's to strong to justify ever losing a fight so they have to tone her down by making her tired.

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TAS - Pro: This is what got me into comics (along with Batman the Animated Series and Spider-Man).....man Saturday morning cartoons used to be so awesome. ..
Con: Morph and Jubilee...don't really need to say more

As for the others, haven't watched them.

kriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i loved all three, although sometimes evolution was just teenage bullshit. but that was only a few episodes

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X-men TAS- Pros: A cult classic. The Theme song was/is epic! Please bring that back! Brought strong great structure to who the X-men are (especially in voice & screen time) and their major story lines. Cons: As great and classic at it is... it's a tad outdated and some of the episodes are out of order. Also, there weren't enough reoccurring characters: Iceman, Psylocke, Nightcrawler, Emma, etc.

X-men Evo- Pros: Neat direction with certain characters like Rogue, Scarlet Witch, Mystique and Apocalypse. This series gave us X-23! Cons: No Phoenix Saga, No Emma & No Psylocke. Storm and Jubilee could have had more significant roles. Sypke should have been Marrow.

yeah, They basically used Marrow's powers to make a new character for the sake of having a more diverse cast. I can see why Marrow herself would have been tricky without the Morlocks, but if they wanted to have more diversity within the cast there's lots of characters they could have included instead of making up a new one, so I never really saw the point of him.

As for Emma not being included as an X-man, she hadn't actually become an X-man yet when these shows were on, so it's pretty forgivable in her case. Although their reasons for not using Kitty and Nightcrawler in TAS still baffles me.

Totally forgot how good TAS's theme song was, though, it was definitely the best.

Wolverine and the X-men- Pros: GREAT VOICE ACTORS! I wouldn't change too much there. Selene had her first animated appearance. And the plot was pretty good aside from all the Wolverine focus. Cons: Stupid title. I didn't like Wolverine's role in the series, practically trading places with Cyclops. Storm & Forge were TERRIBLE-- I hated both of them in this series. Random love interests: Storm and Angel? Why-- Forge when we have Forge. Nightcrawler and Scarlet Witch?? And why was Psylocke a villain? And UGGGH STORM'S HAIR WAS TERRIBLE-- actually her whole character design was bad.

yeah, Forge seemed like the character they changed the most in WatX-men, I kind of forgot about him. Given that Cyclops' reason for not being the leader was similar to when he left after DPS, it's more like Wolverine replaced Storm's role than Cyclops', but it was still a thing that bugged me. It could have been one of the few times that Storm leading a team with Cyclops on it would have made sense, so it seemed like a bit of a wasted opportunity there. Otherwise I thought the voice acting and characterization was pretty decent, better than the rest anyway.

As a re-imagining, I actually liked the Anime. I don't really remember them making up new characters, they sort of combined Legion and Proteus into one character (which sort of worked), but I don't remember any characters who weren't from the comics being in it.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jean ?

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a re-imagining, I actually liked the Anime. I don't really remember them making up new characters, they sort of combined Legion and Proteus into one character (which sort of worked), but I don't remember any characters who weren't from the comics being in it.

All the Inner Circle members, except for Mastermind, were made up. Rat, Marsh and Nueron

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler said:

All the Inner Circle members, except for Mastermind, were made up. Rat, Marsh and Nueron

oh yeah, I forgot about them.

actually, I kind of liked them. They were creepy in a way that you don't see in most henchmen. Maybe a poor substitute for the actual Inner Circle, but interesting in a different way. More visually interesting powers than if they'd used Shaw and the others, who's powers are cool but kind of have to be explained.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jean ?

JEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh yeah, I forgot about them.

actually, I kind of liked them. They were creepy in a way that you don't see in most henchmen. Maybe a poor substitute for the actual Inner Circle, but interesting in a different way. More visually interesting powers than if they'd used Shaw and the others, who's powers are cool but kind of have to be explained.

Eh, they were useless fodder. It worked for the series but I wish they had actually used preexisting characters, even if they were just revamped c listers or something.

Nuerons powers had to be explained more than you would have to explain Shaws, to be honest.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: good point.

With Mastermind switched into the role of leader, it still would have been cooler to have Shaw, Selene, and Pierce round the group out.

I guess I just sort of liked those other random guys..

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I actually really liked Spyke and was quite dismayd to find out that he was actually an impromptu evocation of an original when i finally got into comics. Thought he was really cool and i thought it was really cool to see Ororo interacting with a family member in comparison to what we get in canon.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By poisonfleur

@cattlebattle: good point.

With Mastermind switched into the role of leader, it still would have been cooler to have Shaw, Selene, and Pierce round the group out.

I guess I just sort of liked those other random guys..

Agreed! Selene is BOSS- and HORRIBLY UNDERUSED like Maddie.

@koays said:

@poisonfleur said:

Never completely finished this one (mostly because of the voice acting), though the Storm thing i feel is kind of across the board. She sort of gets the Superman treatment in the all shows, in that she's to strong to justify ever losing a fight so they have to tone her down by making her tired.

Well she was crap in Wolverine and the X-men AND the Anime wasn't THAT much better. So two shows in a row of Lame Storm leave the Storm fans heartbroken. And can we now officially move pass Emma being a questionable bad character? It's been done twice now. And I am fine with Jean dead. We have so many stories to focus on: Nercrosha, Phoenix: Endsong, M-Day and the loss of powers, Second Coming, AvX, Sisterhood, Fall of Mutants, Inferno, Lifedeath, The death of Jean, Storm gets a Mohawk, O5, Rogue vs Ms.Marvel, and some of the Astonishing X-men arcs. Come on X-men-- It doesn't JUST have to be Sentinels, Phoenix Saga, Days of Future Past, and Apocalypse-- There is more to X-men than that.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I only watched TAS. The animation was good for the time but not now. The inclusion of Jubilee instead of Kitty was a major gripe for me. Actually I would like to see that show format and style revised for today. Im not sure where I would start from but maybe go from Mutant Massacre and move from there.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@hawk2916 said:

I only watched TAS. The animation was good for the time but not now. The inclusion of Jubilee instead of Kitty was a major gripe for me. Actually I would like to see that show format and style revised for today. Im not sure where I would start from but maybe go from Mutant Massacre and move from there.

yeah, I had that same gripe. Gambit being there instead of Nightcrawler really bugged me at the time, too.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: I also didn't like the fact that Colossus wasn't apart of the main group either, even though I did enjoyed Rogue and Gambit on the team.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: I also didn't like the fact that Colossus wasn't apart of the main group either, even though I did enjoyed Rogue and Gambit on the team.

yeah, I guess at the time it just seemed weird that they would give main roles to such new characters in their first ongoing series. It would be like the equivalent of TAS coming out now with Tempus and Kid Apocalypse as main characters.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rabbitearsblog said:

yeah, I guess at the time it just seemed weird that they would give main roles to such new characters in their first ongoing series. It would be like the equivalent of TAS coming out now with Tempus and Kid Apocalypse as main characters.

At the time of production and release, which was 1991/92, the X-Men comic which featured Jim Lees art and the members of the blue strike force was huge. It was a time of rebirth for the X-Men and they obviously knew the cartoon would bring in a huge number of new readers. Just imagine how strange it would have been if you were like 10 years old, wanted to start reading X-Men comics, picked up X-Men and saw Nightcrawler and Colossus instead of Jubilee and Gambit.....probably would have been confused.

They were basically facilitating the comics and characters that were relevant at the time. Not all to different with what they do with the Cyborg character in the new 52 at DC. They put him in all the animated features despite the fact that that characters like Martian Manhunter or Aquaman have been trademark leaguers since the groups creation.

You know, I just thought of another reason I hate the 90s series while I was explaining that...The fact that the cartoon was a lot of peoples introduction to X-Men and in some cases, all they knew of the franchise. If you go on youtube and watch the trailer for the movies or something people will say things like "Eh. Storm isn't all that important, she used to just poetically shout what she was about to do and shoot lightning or something". She never did that in the comic and was quite the essential, if not main character during the 1980s.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By oldnightcrawler

At the time of production and release, which was 1991/92, the X-Men comic which featured Jim Lees art and the members of the blue strike force was huge. It was a time of rebirth for the X-Men and they obviously knew the cartoon would bring in a huge number of new readers. Just imagine how strange it would have been if you were like 10 years old, wanted to start reading X-Men comics, picked up X-Men and saw Nightcrawler and Colossus instead of Jubilee and Gambit.....probably would have been confused.

No need to imagine, in my case. I was 11 or 12 when the cartoon came out. I had only just started reading X-men comics, so I already knew the characters from the books on the stands at the time: X-Men, The Uncanny X-Men, andX-Men Classic.

Even as a new reader of 12 I felt they had chosen the less proven and interesting characters at the time.

You know, I just thought of another reason I hate the 90s series while I was explaining that...The fact that the cartoon was a lot of peoples introduction to X-Men and in some cases, all they knew of the franchise. If you go on youtube and watch the trailer for the movies or something people will say things like "Eh. Storm isn't all that important, she used to just poetically shout what she was about to do and shoot lightning or something". She never did that in the comic and was quite the essential, if not main character during the 1980s.

Exactly. Storm, Kitty, and Nightcrawler were kind of the main characters when the X-men were becoming popular in the comics, but none of them have had very good representation in other media. Maybe Nightcrawler more, but not as a central character, and not in TAS.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No need to imagine, in my case. I was 11 or 12 when the cartoon came out. I had only just started reading X-men comics, so I already knew the characters from the books on the stands at the time: X-Men, The Uncanny X-Men, andX-Men Classic.

Even as a new reader of 12 I felt they had chosen the less proven and interesting characters at the time.

Well, I guess you were a mind ahead of your time. Usually kids saw the cartoon and fell in love with people like Gambit, in fact, that is exactly the reason they backed out of having him betray the X-Men and become a villain, which would have been much better for the character in my opinion.....instead he just stagnated after a year. He was popular on the show so naturally the comic was going to reflect the success of the show. The cartoon actually did dictate the direction of the comic for several years according to some creators.

Exactly. Storm, Kitty, and Nightcrawler were kind of the main characters when the X-men were becoming popular in the comics, but none of them have had very good representation in other media. Maybe Nightcrawler more, but not as a central character, and not in TAS.

They all had pretty good representations in the Pryde of the X-Men pilot, lol, despite it being one episode. Wolverine and the X-Men had a pretty good Nightcralwer, but I couldn't stand the design, he looked like a deer or something.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By poisonfleur

I really wish they took the best of both X-men TAS & Evo + more of the stories we haven't seen on tv before. Wolverine & the X-men seemed like it would be that... but FAIL-- although it had a great voice cast and a good amount of X-men in season one. :)

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really wish they took the best of both X-men TAS & Evo + more of the stories we haven't seen on tv before. Wolverine & the X-men seemed like it would be that... but FAIL-- although it had a great voice cast and a good amount of X-men in season one. :)

Yea, i think if they tried again it would work becuz they were on a good track with the cast, just not the focus.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: I agree. Wolverine and the X-Men was at least trying to shoot for the stories that weren't explored yet in the comics, but they spent so much time on focusing on Wolverine that they didn't use the other characters to their full potential.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: I agree. Wolverine and the X-Men was at least trying to shoot for the stories that weren't explored yet in the comics, but they spent so much time on focusing on Wolverine that they didn't use the other characters to their full potential.

Oh yea, Genosha ruled by Magneto AND his family...great. X-Men divided but coming together...cool. Avoiding the many sucky X-Men futures....awesome.

But every other episode being about how cool, great, and awesome Wolverine is...not so appealing to the fans of the team as a whole. I mean i don't think Kitty and Iceman did much but complain about situations so Logan could look tough the whole series.

Like i said, it could've been great. But as long as the focus would come back to one person it wasn't going to work.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@cattlebattle said:
@oldnightcrawler said:

Wolverine and the X-Men had a pretty good Nightcralwer, but I couldn't stand the design, he looked like a deer or something.

That, and X2: X-Men United, were the main reasons I made an exception for him; but again, not a central character in either really.

And Storm's been in every cartoon or movie version of the X-men except X-Men: First Class and still never had as central a role as she had for a whole decade leading up to TAS.

ReddKnave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with a lot of you. Storm has gotten the short end of the stick repeatedly on these toons. Her best portrayal, by far, was on Pryde of the X-Men, the toon the Arcade game was based on. That was an accurate Storm, and I loved the voice actor too. X-Men TAS was by far the worst, event though she played a far larger role than in any other toon, the voice acting was horrendous and made Storm a joke. She never talks like that in the books. None of the others were satisfactory, although I do love the WaTX scene with her and Warren. I also hate how annoying X:TAS made Jubilee, who was hilarious in the comix (OmegaRed "I am also capable of releasing my lethal pheromones into the air!" Jubilee "Most people can, Red, just too polite to talk about it...")

I still think WaTX was one of the better toons, though I know you guys didnt seem to like it much. The stories were original, which was nice, the designs (except for the serious HAIR problem... Nightcrawler's thin bangs, Wolverine's flyaways, Rogue's wtf and Storm's long-fro wtf) were great, the animation was superb, there were plenty of character appearances, and the voice acting was decent. Also Nightcrawler finally got his due... Loved that... There were cons, namely Forge (FLA- FLAMES... ON THE SIDE OF MY FACE... BREATHING, BREAT, HEAVING BREATHES... HEAVING...) Psylocke, Storm's weakness and Jean centered story... again... But it was, to me, not perfect but a step in the right direction.

Best animation - WaTX, Best story- X:TAS Best Character design (overall) - WaTX Best Voice Acting - WaTX

Best Characterizations... X:TAS - Cyclops, Wolverine, Rogue, Beast, Forge, Cable

PotX - Storm, Professor X, Cyclops

WaTX - Nightcrawler, Gambit, Jean, Bishop, Emma, Kitty, Iceman, Archangel

X:E - Wolverine, Professor X

Still needs a good toon representation - Colossus, Psylocke, Dazzler, Jubilee, Northstar, Cannonball, Warpath, Banshee, Havok, etc...