should I get into WATX?

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I've been hearing about a new storyline for this series regarding the hellfire club and from what I've heard it should be epic. I've never gotten into this series simply because I was tired of everything having Wolverine in it and the mutants at the school look more like bad experiments and rejects, almost like Im watching Monsters vs. Aliens with my kids. it always has seemed that this could be a good series but I just havent been able to bring myself to get into it. Then i saw the cover with Wolverine and Storm together and im starting to get a little interest. Then I heard talk of this big story arc coming. So I guess Im asking should I go give this a shot and catch up reading it? Or should I leave it alone? is it worth it? Currently Im into ANX, Uncanny, Uncanny avengers, Cable and xforce, uncanny xforce and legacy if that helps.

tomchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Well, it honestly depends what kind of book you want. WATX (IMO, anyway) is more lighthearted compared to other X-books because it doesnt go on and on about how they are a part of a feared and hated race. Don't get me wrong, that isn't a good thing, but it isn't a bad thing either.

To be honest, I'm guilty of picking this up month on month, but compared to ANX, Uncanny, it's not AS great. The first 13 issues or so are brilliant, Issue 17,18,19,20 were awesome too, but the book seems to be letting me down more recently. (I'm not a big fan of clowns and that Origins charater, Dog.) I'm actually just sticking around until #30 or so when Hellfire Saga begins.

My verdict? Pick up the few issues I mentioned, those are the highlights, and wait for Hellfire Saga to come out before deciding.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

No. Wolverine and the X-Men is by far one of, if not the weakest X book currently on shelves. The new Hellfire Club is ridiculously stupid in theory, and even worse when executed. They are literally 10 year olds. One has money, one is Dr. Frankenstein, one is a psychotic murdering little girl, and yet they some how manage to consistently one up a school consisting of some of the most powerful and dangerous mutants time and time again.

The first few issues were solid IMO with a lighter tone in X books (which at the time was refreshing), but once it started rolling into the double digits, it got terrible. The jokes got stale. The action is subpar. It's tanked in quality really bad.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No. Wolverine and the X-Men is by far one of, if not the weakest X book currently on shelves. The new Hellfire Club is ridiculously stupid in theory, and even worse when executed. They are literally 10 year olds. One has money, one is Dr. Frankenstein, one is a psychotic murdering little girl, and yet they some how manage to consistently one up a school consisting of some of the most powerful and dangerous mutants time and time again.

The first few issues were solid IMO with a lighter tone in X books (which at the time was refreshing), but once it started rolling into the double digits, it got terrible. The jokes got stale. The action is subpar. It's tanked in quality really bad.

Yep.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By TDK_1997

No.It's the weakest and one of the worst books currently from Marvel.

Avatar image for illyanarasputin
IllyanaRasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By IllyanaRasputin

No.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Lol no.

But to each his own, so you there's a possibility youmay like it.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#8  Edited By Teerack

I thought the series was great when it first came out, but after issue 15ish it starts to get a bit meh. I mean at this point I read it just because I love Warbird, but she's starting to get pushed away by Storm in terms of screen time(panel time? :P) And as long as All New X-Men stays in Winchester then you'll still be able to see a lot of Wolverine's X-men so you don't really need to read it.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Great!! That saves me some money. So thanks.

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Dman1366

I love this book. I think the circus arc was weak, but other than that, it is amazing. Don't go to the internet to make your decisions. I have always said that everyone on the internet HATES EVERYTHING. Look, everyone that said they hate the book buys it weekly. Sad, but true. They need something to hate to be 3edgy4

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

No, the book is pretty poor. If you like childish stories, then buy it. All new X-Men and uncanny X-Men is good, so stick with them, with uncanny x-force and cable and the x-force.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@time said:

No, the book is pretty poor. If you like childish stories, then buy it. All new X-Men and uncanny X-Men is good, so stick with them, with uncanny x-force and cable and the x-force.

No they're not, they're just as bad as this, if not worse.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

not there not, if you ask some people on comicvine, what there enjoying, it won't be wolverine and the x-men. I must say you have strange taste.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@hawk2916:

Wolverine and the X-Men is not a title I would recommend overall, but not because of the silliness, that I actually find (somewhat) refreshing; the X-men can be crazy silly and still fun (read just about any X-men comic from the 60's or 70's, or most Annuals from the 80's and 90's, to see what I mean); I just haven't been into most of the stories, nor am I much of a fan of Bradshaw's art.

That said, issues 17 (all Doop issue with Mike Allred art) 24 (Date night, drawn by the very underrated David Lopez), 25, and 27 (wherein they finally start to show how Wolverine can be a good mentor again) are all quite good, and give me reason to think this series may end up going places after all, so I am still (tentatively) on board.

So, though I wouldn't recommend the series as a whole, I do think that those issues (17, 24, 25, and 27) are worth checking out, at least to help you make up your own mind.

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WATX started off pretty strong. The "elevator pitch" might be "Harry Potter and the X-Men". This comic had a lot of fun that's been missing from the X-Men books for years.

Having said that, as the book's progressed, I've enjoyed it a bit less than I did in the beginning, and decided to drop my subscription through DCBS after issue 27.

The first few story arcs are a blast, though.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WATX started off pretty strong. The "elevator pitch" might be "Harry Potter and the X-Men". This comic had a lot of fun that's been missing from the X-Men books for years.

that's funny to me, because I recently started to think of Harry Potter as this past generation's Kitty Pryde.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1