• 63 results
  • 1
  • 2
Edited 1 year, 6 months ago

Poll: Should Emma and Scott have a child and raise the child in Uncanny X-Men (53 votes)

yes 42%
no 47%
maybe 11%
#51 Edited by papad1992 (6833 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992 said:
@thegreyoutcastx said:
@papad1992 said:

That boat has sailed... the relationship should have ended after AvX!

I would have said Yes if it were before AvX... but now, NO!

Emma still has feelings for Scott. Did you see how Emma reacted when Eva talked about him? Emma was less than amused about someone else thinking about Scott in that fashion. Made me chuckle.

That's just like saying a girl still has feelings for their ex. The question the OP said was that if they should have a kid... I think that they should of had one years ago either before Messiah Complex or during their stay on Utopia. Now it's just too awkward of a situation to even think about. Plus Emma has a powerful ego (or she had one, her characterization has been off lately), she would be the one in a relationship to move on while the other still is in disbelief.

That means the door is always open for the two on them to get back together. I am surprised their relationship didn't end more disastrous given how Bendis stated they were done (with a vengeance). But I never said I think they should have children. Scott has no time to play Baby daddy especially given his other kids with Jean that he really doesn't do the father thing with.

Well this thread is about if they should have had a child (read the tile)... and my answer is still the same. They should of had it years ago, but currently NO!

#52 Posted by papad1992 (6833 posts) - - Show Bio

@thegreyoutcastx said:

@papad1992 said:

That's just like saying a girl still has feelings for their ex. The question the OP said was that if they should have a kid... I think that they should of had one years ago either before Messiah Complex or during their stay on Utopia. Now it's just too awkward of a situation to even think about. Plus Emma has a powerful ego (or she had one, her characterization has been off lately), she would be the one in a relationship to move on while the other still is in disbelief.

That means the door is always open for the two on them to get back together. I am surprised their relationship didn't end more disastrous given how Bendis stated they were done (with a vengeance). But I never said I think they should have children. Scott has no time to play Baby daddy especially given his other kids with Jean that he really doesn't do the father thing with.

Cyclops never had any kids with Jean; she went to the future with him to raise Cable, but Cable is Cyclops and Madelyne's son, and he's the only child that Cyclops has ever had.

As for him and Emma being in too awkward of a situation to have a kid, well, I think that's half of what would make it so interesting. It doesn't mean they have to get back together, or that Emma would have to leave the team. They can raise a kid, as friends; and if they're both as committed to this new team as they seem, I can't see having a kid changing that. If anything, it may just strengthen their resolve and add another layer of depth to the stories. I think it could be really refreshing.

So ur saying that them having a kid would be good, even if they're not together... Yeah NO, that sounds horrible. It makes Emma look like she's a doormat and sl*t and makes Cyclops look like a bigger @sshole than he already is. So having the baby out of wedlock and raising it on a revolutionizing mutant team/school would be interesting.... I'm sorry but that has no class written all over it! It wouldn't be "refreshing" it would be bitter-tasting. Uncanny X-Men is a book all about edge and is supposed to be a more serious and darker book than the more lighthearted ones, so having a baby to raise is the wrong way to come about that. If anything, all the teens that they have recruited, and the more to come, will be enough innocence to corrupt already.

#53 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4869 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler said:

As for him and Emma being in too awkward of a situation to have a kid, well, I think that's half of what would make it so interesting. It doesn't mean they have to get back together, or that Emma would have to leave the team. They can raise a kid, as friends; and if they're both as committed to this new team as they seem, I can't see having a kid changing that. If anything, it may just strengthen their resolve and add another layer of depth to the stories. I think it could be really refreshing.

So ur saying that them having a kid would be good, even if they're not together... Yeah NO, that sounds horrible. It makes Emma look like she's a doormat and sl*t and makes Cyclops look like a bigger @sshole than he already is. So having the baby out of wedlock and raising it on a revolutionizing mutant team/school would be interesting.... I'm sorry but that has no class written all over it! It wouldn't be "refreshing" it would be bitter-tasting. Uncanny X-Men is a book all about edge and is supposed to be a more serious and darker book than the more lighthearted ones, so having a baby to raise is the wrong way to come about that. If anything, all the teens that they have recruited, and the more to come, will be enough innocence to corrupt already.

I don't think being a single parent makes someone a slut or an asshole, especially if they were still raising the child together despite being separate. Frankly, having been raised by a single parent myself, I find that comment to have no class.

These characters are living on the fringes of society to begin with, what difference does them being wed-locked have to do with their natural right to reproduce? And as far as being more "serious", I can't imagine what would make their current situation more serious than having a newborn child to worry about on top of everything else.

#54 Posted by papad1992 (6833 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992 said:

@oldnightcrawler said:

As for him and Emma being in too awkward of a situation to have a kid, well, I think that's half of what would make it so interesting. It doesn't mean they have to get back together, or that Emma would have to leave the team. They can raise a kid, as friends; and if they're both as committed to this new team as they seem, I can't see having a kid changing that. If anything, it may just strengthen their resolve and add another layer of depth to the stories. I think it could be really refreshing.

So ur saying that them having a kid would be good, even if they're not together... Yeah NO, that sounds horrible. It makes Emma look like she's a doormat and sl*t and makes Cyclops look like a bigger @sshole than he already is. So having the baby out of wedlock and raising it on a revolutionizing mutant team/school would be interesting.... I'm sorry but that has no class written all over it! It wouldn't be "refreshing" it would be bitter-tasting. Uncanny X-Men is a book all about edge and is supposed to be a more serious and darker book than the more lighthearted ones, so having a baby to raise is the wrong way to come about that. If anything, all the teens that they have recruited, and the more to come, will be enough innocence to corrupt already.

I don't think being a single parent makes someone a slut or an asshole, especially if they were still raising the child together despite being separate. Frankly, having been raised by a single parent myself, I find that comment to have no class.

These characters are living on the fringes of society to begin with, what difference does them being wed-locked have to do with their natural right to reproduce? And as far as being more "serious", I can't imagine what would make their current situation more serious than having a newborn child to worry about on top of everything else.

Wow apparently you either misread my post or you have no sense of Cyclops and Emma's characters (or maybe both)... What would compel Emma (a pompous socialite who is manipulative, selfish, snobbish and quick-witted) to raise a child by herself, conceive the child out of wedlock, and as a wanted mutant revolutionary!? Her characterization has been off, to say the least, she's more sympathetic now, more vulnerable now, more considerate now, more exposed now, partly due to the fact that she has lost one of the main components that makes her Emma Frost, but also partly due to the actions she did, watched, or assisted in doing during AvX. I get that with her powers being messed up with, she feels defenseless. Why on Earth now would she want to have a child. It just makes no sense. Their relationship should have ended but apparently something will come out of the remainder of their relationship in Uncanny X-Men... having a child is not something a writer should be considering now. And having a child in the midst of a mutant revolutionary to a broken mutant who's is trying to uphold her image is "serious" to you than make a fan-fiction story and run with that.

#55 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4869 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow apparently you either misread my post or you have no sense of Cyclops and Emma's characters (or maybe both)... What would compel Emma (a pompous socialite who is manipulative, selfish, snobbish and quick-witted) to raise a child by herself, conceive the child out of wedlock, and as a wanted mutant revolutionary!? Her characterization has been off, to say the least, she's more sympathetic now, more vulnerable now, more considerate now, more exposed now, partly due to the fact that she has lost one of the main components that makes her Emma Frost, but also partly due to the actions she did, watched, or assisted in doing during AvX. I get that with her powers being messed up with, she feels defenseless. Why on Earth now would she want to have a child. It just makes no sense. Their relationship should have ended but apparently something will come out of the remainder of their relationship in Uncanny X-Men... having a child is not something a writer should be considering now. And having a child in the midst of a mutant revolutionary to a broken mutant who's is trying to uphold her image is "serious" to you than make a fan-fiction story and run with that.

well that's a much less offensive rational for why they shouldn't, at least.

and I never said that she should raise the child herself; I said that her and Cyclops would raise it together, despite not being in a romantic relationship. People do that.

As far as having a child "out of wedlock", do you really think Cyclops and Emma were celibate the whole time they were together? because it's been very heavily implied that they were not. And I still think humoring the idea that people wouldn't or shouldn't have children just because they aren't married is both ethnocentric and archaic to the point of being offensive.

As for not understanding the characters, it's already been established that Emma's "defenceless" feelings have brought out her desire to be more nurturing, as witnessed by her desire to reconnect with the Cuckoos (the only characters she's ever felt close to) with such great humility. Cyclops obviously has regrets about not being a better father in the past, even to the point of using "we need to replenish the mutant population" as a come-on; it's pretty transparent, really.

And we both know that equating an idea with fan-fiction is a snobby way of saying it's not something that would happen; it's a pedestrian argument under a rather provincial attitude, and frankly, I would've thought it beneath you.

#56 Edited by papad1992 (6833 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992 said:

Wow apparently you either misread my post or you have no sense of Cyclops and Emma's characters (or maybe both)... What would compel Emma (a pompous socialite who is manipulative, selfish, snobbish and quick-witted) to raise a child by herself, conceive the child out of wedlock, and as a wanted mutant revolutionary!? Her characterization has been off, to say the least, she's more sympathetic now, more vulnerable now, more considerate now, more exposed now, partly due to the fact that she has lost one of the main components that makes her Emma Frost, but also partly due to the actions she did, watched, or assisted in doing during AvX. I get that with her powers being messed up with, she feels defenseless. Why on Earth now would she want to have a child. It just makes no sense. Their relationship should have ended but apparently something will come out of the remainder of their relationship in Uncanny X-Men... having a child is not something a writer should be considering now. And having a child in the midst of a mutant revolutionary to a broken mutant who's is trying to uphold her image is "serious" to you than make a fan-fiction story and run with that.

well that's a much less offensive rational for why they shouldn't, at least.

and I never said that she should raise the child herself; I said that her and Cyclops would raise it together, despite not being in a romantic relationship. People do that.

As far as having a child "out of wedlock", do you really think Cyclops and Emma were celibate the whole time they were together? because it's been very heavily implied that they were not. And I still think humoring the idea that people wouldn't or shouldn't have children just because they aren't married is both ethnocentric and archaic to the point of being offensive.

As for not understanding the characters, it's already been established that Emma's "defenceless" feelings have brought out her desire to be more nurturing, as witnessed by her desire to reconnect with the Cuckoos (the only characters she's ever felt close to) with such great humility. Cyclops obviously has regrets about not being a better father in the past, even to the point of using "we need to replenish the mutant population" as a come-on; it's pretty transparent, really.

And we both know that equating an idea with fan-fiction is a snobby way of saying it's not something that would happen; it's a pedestrian argument under a rather provincial attitude, and frankly, I would've thought it beneath you.

"Beneath me"... you don't know me! You only joined like a month or two ago.... I've been here unofficially since 2008 and officially since early 2010, so don't presume to think that you know me as a user here. You are taking things WAY out of context and blowing them to extreme proportions. Calm down reread some posts and try to grasp the idea I'm trying to convey.

#57 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4869 posts) - - Show Bio

"Beneath me"... you don't know me! You only joined like a month or two ago.... I've been here unofficially since 2008 and officially since early 2010, so don't presume to think that you know me as a user here. You are taking things WAY out of context and blowing them to extreme proportions. Calm down reread some posts and try to grasp the idea I'm trying to convey.

I meant it as a compliment, based on the way you generally conduct yourself around here, based on what I've read.

If you don't have an actual argument, that's fine; but changing the subject does nothing to further your previous points. I'd suggest taking your own advice from that last sentence, though it seems a bit presumptuous now..

#58 Posted by papad1992 (6833 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992 said:

"Beneath me"... you don't know me! You only joined like a month or two ago.... I've been here unofficially since 2008 and officially since early 2010, so don't presume to think that you know me as a user here. You are taking things WAY out of context and blowing them to extreme proportions. Calm down reread some posts and try to grasp the idea I'm trying to convey.

I meant it as a compliment, based on the way you generally conduct yourself around here, based on what I've read.

If you don't have an actual argument, that's fine; but changing the subject does nothing to further your previous points. I'd suggest taking your own advice from that last sentence, though it seems a bit presumptuous now..

This conversation just got too convoluted to continue!

#59 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

emma isnt the raise a kid type.

#60 Posted by chasereis (794 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992: Oldnightcrawler is DanGallant, Papad. So actually he does know you...

@oldnightcrawler: Im really on the fence here. You make a compelling argument however; I must use my hex powers. "No more...Scott Summers children". Emma and Scott are thankfully done as well, I personally would like to bury that into the annals of marvel history and move on. Besides it wouldn't work anyway Emma tends to eat her young or allow them to be eaten by psychic vampires. Either way.

#61 Posted by papad1992 (6833 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992: Oldnightcrawler is DanGallant, Papad. So actually he does know you...

WHO!?

#62 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4869 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992: Oldnightcrawler is DanGallant, Papad. So actually he does know you...

still, not actually..

@oldnightcrawler: Im really on the fence here. You make a compelling argument however; I must use my hex powers. "No more...Scott Summers children". Emma and Scott are thankfully done as well, I personally would like to bury that into the annals of marvel history and move on. Besides it wouldn't work anyway Emma tends to eat her young or allow them to be eaten by psychic vampires. Either way.

well, whatever.. I still think it'd be interesting..

#63 Posted by chasereis (794 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler: Well actually her statement was that you were a month tenured user and didn't know her on these boards, see the below.

"Beneath me"... you don't know me! You only joined like a month or two ago.... I've been here unofficially since 2008 and officially since early 2010, so don't presume to think that you know me as a user here.

To that she incorrect as we three have (i consider) at length conversations about a great many things. I just want things to be a bit more (this may be bad term) "realistic". I want Scott and Jean back together to fade into the background permanently as it should have been. The whole Scott and Emma thing is too much like being forced to play Raiden instead Snake in MGS2. That is the closest thing I can equate it to. I'm not sure if you are a gamer and know what that means but ...that is my best attempt to explain the jilted emotion of seeing a character forcibly, artificially altered to something he is not for the sake of quickening a book in the short term. A child between Emma and Scott would end up being as meaningless as Madelyne and Scott's failed attempt at marriage. Sorry if that is offensive to anyone, but it is true. Time (the phenomena, not the CV user) would prove this be so great certain one way or the other. And Emma does eat her young I saw it on Discovery channel after Meerkat Manor.

OH! Btw, I recently finished the final Classic X-Men back up. I've seen a few "on the line" retcons but NO hard retcons at all.

#64 Posted by McKlayn (1099 posts) - - Show Bio
#65 Edited by Avenger85 (1988 posts) - - Show Bio

@chasereis said:

@oldnightcrawler: Well actually her statement was that you were a month tenured user and didn't know her on these boards, see the below.

"Beneath me"... you don't know me! You only joined like a month or two ago.... I've been here unofficially since 2008 and officially since early 2010, so don't presume to think that you know me as a user here.

To that she incorrect as we three have (i consider) at length conversations about a great many things. I just want things to be a bit more (this may be bad term) "realistic". I want Scott and Jean back together to fade into the background permanently as it should have been. The whole Scott and Emma thing is too much like being forced to play Raiden instead Snake in MGS2. That is the closest thing I can equate it to. I'm not sure if you are a gamer and know what that means but ...that is my best attempt to explain the jilted emotion of seeing a character forcibly, artificially altered to something he is not for the sake of quickening a book in the short term. A child between Emma and Scott would end up being as meaningless as Madelyne and Scott's failed attempt at marriage. Sorry if that is offensive to anyone, but it is true. Time (the phenomena, not the CV user) would prove this be so great certain one way or the other. And Emma does eat her young I saw it on Discovery channel after Meerkat Manor.

OH! Btw, I recently finished the final Classic X-Men back up. I've seen a few "on the line" retcons but NO hard retcons at all.

Please don't hate on Raiden, mate. I know he SUCKED in MGS2 and was forced down our throats and all 3 of the Snake clones and their Dad are a ZILLION times more badass than him, but he does become quite cool in MGS 4 and Rising lol. Kojima should have made him that way ( cyborg ninja ) in MGS2 to begin with.

Anyways, yeah. I always wanted Cyclops & Jean Grey to get back together and retire for good. Then we can forget about the whole Madelyn Pryor fiasco that he was put in ( He did NOT DUMP HER, people who think he did need to READ the damn issues where the whole incident happened), and then Scott and Jean can be either history like Banshee & Moira, or just go into support-roles only like Xavier.

Poor One-Eye deserves it after the shit he's been through, but the Jean Grey/Phoenix cultists ( especially the ones on the CBR foums; damn theyre an angry & loud bunch lol ) aren't gonna let that happen easily lol.

P.S. an easy ( without too much drama and controversy and all that bullshit ) way to do it would be to have adult Scott martyr himself for the mutant cause in some way, then have young Scott & young Jean start over, either in this timeline or when they go back to a new one after the upcoming TRAVESTY that is gonna be Battle of the Atom.

Also, Current Cyclops is simply not mentally stable enough to get into any relationship, let alone have kids anymore. Marvel have really pushed his character beyond his limit and that line has been crossed by Old Scott. No going back for him IMHO. Young Scott would be a better choice for "Cyclops" to get his shit together and start over the right way.