#1 Posted by wreakhavok (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Spoilers follow: So I just read through all of Ultimate X-men, up through the current issue, Ultimate Comics X-Men 32.

I don't know if I'm missing something by not reading any other ultimate comics, but good god has it gotten bad after United We Stand. It seems like established characters' stories and personalities have been completely tossed aside... as have plot lines.

My biggest question is: did I miss where Jean Grey becomes this tyrannical crazy person? What the hell is going on? How did she even inherit Tian? I can't stand what they're doing to her character. She feels no sympathy for any of her ex-teammates and this sweet Karen Grant and even smart Karen Grant who enlisted with Nick Fury is suddenly nowhere to be found.

Is anyone enjoying WWX? I've completely fallen off because of how loose they're playing with nearly 150 issues worth of character development.

Maybe it's not as obvious when you read week to week, but binging... ever since Ultimatum, side plots have been tossed aside far too quickly and characters are not acting like themselves (ie Rogue hearing God and now being some weird Tarzana chick, Bobby ditching his friends to be with some girl he hardly knew who was a terrorist, Mach Two quickly giving up her aspirations to lead, I don't know where Quicksilver is since he accidentally started Divided We Fall... and who the eff was Psylocke?)

Rant over... just want to see if anyone can clarify or feels the same.

#2 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7282 posts) - - Show Bio

People change without explanation. And hasn't Jean always been a megalomaniac ?

#3 Edited by Rabbitearsblog (5834 posts) - - Show Bio

Ever since they kept switching the writers on the Ultimate Universe, the characters' personalities have been all over the place and it's starting to get so grating. That's why I stopped reading the Ultimate Universe after they kept constantly switching the writers and everything keeps going in a different direction.

#4 Posted by GrenadeFlow (1401 posts) - - Show Bio

Its weird to me too

#5 Posted by frozenedge (1197 posts) - - Show Bio

Rogue hearing God was actually somebody pretending to be Prof. X. Who he actually was I don't remember, Bobby didn't really ditch them considering he's still at Utopia, Quicksilver died over in Ultimate Avengers after teaming up with Reed Richards, Hulk, and Kang. Whatever Zorn and Xorn did or told Jean while she was on Tian is making her even more of a megalomaniac. Mach Two stopped her aspirations to lead (possibly temporarily) because they had other things to worry about what with Ross at their doorstep with orders to fight and kill them. Fake Psylocke also may have had some influence on her and her group and it'll probably be explained after WWX.

#6 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7282 posts) - - Show Bio

Rogue hearing God was actually somebody pretending to be Prof. X. Who he actually was I don't remember, Bobby didn't really ditch them considering he's still at Utopia, Quicksilver died over in Ultimate Avengers after teaming up with Reed Richards, Hulk, and Kang. Whatever Zorn and Xorn did or told Jean while she was on Tian is making her even more of a megalomaniac. Mach Two stopped her aspirations to lead (possibly temporarily) because they had other things to worry about what with Ross at their doorstep with orders to fight and kill them. Fake Psylocke also may have had some influence on her and her group and it'll probably be explained after WWX.

Indeed. That scene of Mothervinelocke passing the torch over to Ultimate Jean after Utopia was bombarded is one that many detractors of Wood's portrayal of current Ult. Jean tend to overlook, although she's always been like that, i still believe Mothervine is within the works.

#7 Edited by ArturoCalaKayVee (11323 posts) - - Show Bio

They still haven't developed the story where Xavier and Magneto are supposedly alive....they kind of just forgot about that....

#8 Posted by frozenedge (1197 posts) - - Show Bio

@ageofhurricane: Mothervine is definitely behind some things that have been going on. What I'm trying to think is if she's a totally new character like Farbird and Mach Two or if she's someone we've already seen.

#9 Posted by wreakhavok (3 posts) - - Show Bio

@frozenedge: Thanks for the Quicksilver update. This helps explain why Hulk so quickly ditched the Ultimate X team Jean was setting up I guess too. Bobby did leave Kitty's crew to be with Husk though. It just didn't make any sense, and they never even really addressed it. He just wandered on the outskirts of Utopia for awhile and then came back when the rest of them did.

Still, overall they just seem to be throwing small plot lines out the window. The Magneto/Xavier still being alive thing (like @arturocalakayvee said) and then immediately being forgotten about was just too much. Unless this happened in another comic as well. Overall, it just seems to be getting very lazy and "fun new story ideas" is taking far too much precedence over actual characters and their continuities.

@ageofhurricane This whole Mothervine thing barely rings a bell. Is there somewhere else I should be looking for this? I feel like I completely missed how Jean even got control of Tian. She was there for Fury and then she was in charge. I'm about to read Ultimate Comics Wolverine to see if there's anything important I missed in there.

#10 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio

She's gone off the deep end. Hopefully Kitty will phase a brick into her head.

All this Karen Grant/Tian crap's really let her down. It's almost as bad as the time she slept with Wolverine in the first arc of Ult. X-Men Vol.1.

#12 Edited by XIII (47 posts) - - Show Bio

It happens. *shrugs* 13