Powers are no longer broken?

ultimatekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So, the former Pheonix Five (excluding Namor, including Magneto, Emma Frost, Colossus, Cyclops and Magik). Their powers are no longer broken? I mean Magik's powers were never broken and she absorbed limbo into herself. It turns out that since Magik was serving another powerful entity, Dormmammu took over Limbo during her absence or something. But Magik is getting it under control thanks to the past Dr. Strange.

Don't know about Cyclops nor Colossus nor Magneto. Colossus and Magneto, I heard their powers are back together but which issue was this shown? Last I remember Colossus had that armor that Cable gave him and Magneto had little tools to manipulate. After all, Colossus is going to be in Amazing X-men so maybe we will see this issue being resolved if it has not already.

In Battle of the Atom, Emma Frost was engaged in a a telepathic battle with Xorn/Future Brotherhood Jean Grey, so does this mean that her telepathy is no longer broken because in one issue of UXM, she projected her thoughts unconsciously. She thunk out loud and other people could hear it but she herself could not hear other people's thoughts.

I just wished they announced it somehow instead of like seeing them using their powers and have us thinking "Oh, their powers are okay now."

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

Cyclops and Emma's powers are still broken. Cyke has had trouble throughout Bendis's run with controlling the power of his Optic Blasts, and Emma can only project thoughts and use Diamond form. She had to use the Cuckoos as Telepathic assistants against Xorn Jean. She still can't read minds and use 90% of her Telepathy. Colossus had a suit that helped him control his change between metal and normal skin. Whether Kyle or Yost are gonna follow up on that is any one's guess. Magneto has only limited control now and Bunn is keeping it that way in his solo. Magik was shown in the limbo arc that she may have been pretending everything was fine when it wasn't, The phoenix messed with Limbo and began to affect other hell dimensions. She absorbed all of Limbo into herself, and has since sought out a Past Dr. Strange for magical instruction which could explain why she has looked in more control than the rest.

ultimatekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyclops and Emma's powers are still broken. Cyke has had trouble throughout Bendis's run with controlling the power of his Optic Blasts, and Emma can only project thoughts and use Diamond form. She had to use the Cuckoos as Telepathic assistants against Xorn Jean. She still can't read minds and use 90% of her Telepathy. Colossus had a suit that helped him control his change between metal and normal skin. Whether Kyle or Yost are gonna follow up on that is any one's guess. Magneto has only limited control now and Bunn is keeping it that way in his solo. Magik was shown in the limbo arc that she may have been pretending everything was fine when it wasn't, The phoenix messed with Limbo and began to affect other hell dimensions. She absorbed all of Limbo into herself, and has since sought out as Past Dr. Strange for magical instruction which could explain why she has looked in more control than the rest.

Thanks. That makes it clear to me.

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX
ultimatekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder how this whole thing affected Namor other than the fact that he felt alone and lost? Maybe it did not have an effect on him at all because he is half-human and half-atlantean. I wonder how it would affect him though? Maybe it would reverse his mutation and make him human? I know it wouldn't make sense but nowadays comic book writers, especially for the X-Men books are not following logic. Magneto got hit with a huge chunk of Phoenix power but yet he got powers taken away from him?

devilsgrin81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder how this whole thing affected Namor other than the fact that he felt alone and lost? Maybe it did not have an effect on him at all because he is half-human and half-atlantean. I wonder how it would affect him though? Maybe it would reverse his mutation and make him human? I know it wouldn't make sense but nowadays comic book writers, especially for the X-Men books are not following logic. Magneto got hit with a huge chunk of Phoenix power but yet he got powers taken away from him?

perhaps because with Namor his powers are all passive. meaning they are always present and always "On." Whereas with the other P5... all have active powers - one's that need to be switched on and off (Colossus' metal form, and Emma's diamond form) or that require psionic activation - like all the others. Perhaps this on/off switch is what caused the damage to 4 of the 5 (and Magneto peripherally), allowing Namor - who's powerset of strength, invulnerability and flight - to emerge relatively unscathed.

LordMordor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I like how the limited powers are working out for Magneto in his solo run...I don't think it really does anything for Piotr. The suit basically removes the issue for him, so why bother have the issue if your just going to write around it.

Scott at least it makes every use of his powers a risk as he can end up firing a weak blast that doesn't accomplish anything...or devastate everything in front of him without meaning to. Its somewhat interesting considering how much of his character is about being in control.

Magik seems to have whatever issues she had with Limbo under complete control for now

Emma im not sure about...but mostly because she has basically been a non-factor for UXM. The Cuckoo's have taken her role as main Psychic, and while I do like the 3 being given more attention and individuality...they are really wasting Emma right now. So im on the fence, I like the Cuckoo's being developed, but I miss the White Queen...and I feel that while the relationship between her and the girls could be developed nicely, if Emma were to regain full control she would likely push the Cuckoos back into the "back-up telepaths" position they were in before.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By adamTRMM

@ultimatekey said:

I wonder how this whole thing affected Namor other than the fact that he felt alone and lost? \

No, it's just Hickman doesn't give a sh!t. It's that simple.

numi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I like how the limited powers are working out for Magneto in his solo run...I don't think it really does anything for Piotr. The suit basically removes the issue for him, so why bother have the issue if your just going to write around it.

Scott at least it makes every use of his powers a risk as he can end up firing a weak blast that doesn't accomplish anything...or devastate everything in front of him without meaning to. Its somewhat interesting considering how much of his character is about being in control.

Magik seems to have whatever issues she had with Limbo under complete control for now

Emma im not sure about...but mostly because she has basically been a non-factor for UXM. The Cuckoo's have taken her role as main Psychic, and while I do like the 3 being given more attention and individuality...they are really wasting Emma right now. So im on the fence, I like the Cuckoo's being developed, but I miss the White Queen...and I feel that while the relationship between her and the girls could be developed nicely, if Emma were to regain full control she would likely push the Cuckoos back into the "back-up telepaths" position they were in before.

Actually in regard to Piotr, Hopeless was writing that the vest that Forge made for him was helping him regain control of his change (my pet peeve when people say his skin changes, it's not just his skin, he's solid organic steel all the way through). Anyway, as they were showing toward the end of Hopeless's run, Piotr is gaining control and can manage partial changes, while previously it was all or nothing. That I find interesting and I can see how it could be useful for him. Otherwise it's also shown that when he's angry, he has no trouble going solid (like when Domino gets kidnapped by the alien), so I think for him, his control is tied to his emotional state.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The whole broken powers thing has been a stupid plot device for me. You have some with broken powers and not others, its just stupid. Magik is all-powerful now, Namor is unaffected, Colossus can wear a suit- I guess technology can override the broken powers, couldn't Cyclops have a visor with this type of tech built in? Cyclops and Emma are broken though. Funny that Magneto's powers would be broken when he didnt even have the Phoenix Force. And please dont try and tell me its because he was attacked because he's faced Jean and the Phoenix before and didnt end up with broken powers.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

The whole broken powers thing has been a stupid plot device for me. You have some with broken powers and not others, its just stupid. Magik is all-powerful now, Namor is unaffected, Colossus can wear a suit- I guess technology can override the broken powers, couldn't Cyclops have a visor with this type of tech built in? Cyclops and Emma are broken though. Funny that Magneto's powers would be broken when he didnt even have the Phoenix Force. And please dont try and tell me its because he was attacked because he's faced Jean and the Phoenix before and didnt end up with broken powers.

Pfft you think thats bad, what about how all of a sudden theres a cure in every book for M-Day power loss? Blob, Marrow, those to guys in the first issue of X-factor.... i mean didnt Beast have an entire mini series about there being no cure?

smh it's not a good plot device if a) Not everyone plays along, and b) You decide you don't want to explain why it's not important anymore.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@hawk2916 said:

Pfft you think thats bad, what about how all of a sudden theres a cure in every book for M-Day power loss? Blob, Marrow, those to guys in the first issue of X-factor.... i mean didnt Beast have an entire mini series about there being no cure?

smh it's not a good plot device if a) Not everyone plays along, and b) You decide you don't want to explain why it's not important anymore.

if i wrote x-men i would make teen jean grey fix their broken powers after they learn a lesson. Mwah ha ha ha ha