Avatar image for deactivated-57c7d84814d87
deactivated-57c7d84814d87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

Ok so polaris has magnetism and is mistress of magnetism and it says besides magnetism,she has energy manipulation ?_? so couldn't she manipulate lightning since it is a form energy? is polaris just limited to magnetism? or can do do other things? It has also been said by emma frost that her powers are apparently mutating,so does that mean her powers will grow/change overtime?

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In previous volume of X-factor PAD wrote her to be pretty overpowered, but he toned her levels down in ANXF eventually.

Potentially, she can do everything Magneto did and more (just like him).

Azalae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, she will be just like her father and even more powerful than her father. Of course she has energy manipulation just like her father. I'm sure she can manipulate lightning just like her father as well since her energy are forms of lightning.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
As you see, her lightning is just like her father's. So, you can expect from this how powerful she can be (or she is).
As you see, her lightning is just like her father's. So, you can expect from this how powerful she can be (or she is).

Like father, Like daughter. So, we can only assume she can do anything just like her father and maybe even more. And it's not the first time writers said it.
Like father, Like daughter. So, we can only assume she can do anything just like her father and maybe even more. And it's not the first time writers said it.
"The potential power she wields could rival that of Magneto himself" Like I said in the Omega-Level thread, she's always holding back.
Exactly what it says.
Exactly what it says.

Polaris limited to magnetism? Hhmmm I think she shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine. She is just not aware of how strong is or can be her mutation powers (she's just not power hungry like her father) as we can see here below..........

Here I will leave you with your opinion.
Here I will leave you with your opinion.
Polaris Tunneling. And I don't think I ever saw Magneto (or anyone) doing this kind of ability.
Polaris Tunneling. And I don't think I ever saw Magneto (or anyone) doing this kind of ability.

No Caption Provided
"The Earther Mutant" "SOMETHING BEYOND ANY MUTANT POWERS WE'VE EVER SEEN..." So, here we can only imagine how powerful she is and she don't even know it (since she always pushing herself back). Anyway, this happened after what ever Apocalypse did to her. She was still a mutant and STILL had her X-Gene.

Thanks to Carey Lorna is officially a mutant again.
Thanks to Carey Lorna is officially a mutant again.

Even in Magneto #18, in the very first page, it said that Polaris is, in fact, a mutant. And I've been saying this all along.

No Caption Provided

"Lorna Dane, the mutant known as Polaris"

And for the last time, this happened after the Apocalypse thing. She was still a mutant and always will be a--mutant. No one will know her better than I do.
And for the last time, this happened after the Apocalypse thing. She was still a mutant and always will be a--mutant. No one will know her better than I do.

So here you have it and I will leave ya here with ya thoughts. But one think to keep in mind of who she really is... she's the Mistress of Magnetism.

These are good panels for ya people to save for the future. And there are more, but these are proof enough. So, (for those of you who will go against it) stop taking credit away from Polaris because in the Magneto's book, it looks like she's about to become something stronger than ever before (food for thought) at least it does look that way.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azalae: Very interesting ^_^ , she is pretty powerful.

jmc247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Magneto has done it through in an underground base beneath a volcano as we saw in Uncanny X-Men 113.

As for Lorna's power and skill level it varies wildly per writer and ever per run with the same writer as a poster above talked about. The space arc was probably the high point of showing her pure power feats, mind you she didn't use her skills in any advanced way in the space arc, but her power level was what you would expect dealing with cosmic threats.

Then on PAD's X-Factor Investigations she was toned down power wise, but still kept about the same level of skills she had before. Her skills actually dropped to pure metal bending on ANXF so unlike that poster I wasn't exactly happy with Lorna the metal bender.

I would say X-Factor Investigations Lorna was roughly as powerful and skilled as 1993-1998 X-Factor Lorna. Magneto taught Lorna on on Genosha created a fairly large boost to first her skill levels and then after the Genoshan genocide we saw a fairly big increase in her power levels as well. I mean think about her wedding and her taking out all those X-Men and Avengers and that was still Lorna holding back somewhat as made clear in the comic she could have killed them all, but was only after Nurse Annie and Havok. During Milligan's era the overall skill and power level decreased. During Brubakers the skill level decreased, but the power level increased again.

In the end Polaris can manipulate electromagnetism like Magneto, because she is younger she may even have a higher power potential overall for what her body limits are, but in terms of raw power both are limited to what the human body will tolerate without dying in the process. Magneto in issue #18 of Magneto is planning on trying to do that to destroy the other universe.

At the end of the day Lorna's a powerhouse who often doesn't get to show it off because she is rarely an A list X-woman. X-Factor which she has been on many times over the years doesn't tend to be the best place for such feats, talking about them, but not showing them. She hasn't gotten to be a major antagonist for a story arc. A minor antagonist or brainwashed villain sure, but not the big bad that the X-Men and Avengers have to face the way Magneto has many times. That is why along with some real terrible showings during the 70s and 80s the image endures among many usually older fans of her being a joke when it comes to powers and skill levels.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PhoenixoftheTides

She is an energy manipulator because she manipulates the radiated energy along the electromagnetic spectrum. The EM spectrum consists of multiple types of energy. As a result, she can project and control multiple types of energy. She has some great showings, but doesn't get time to shine because some of the more consistent X-Men get the major big showings (even when it makes little sense for them to do so).

UHypocrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By UHypocrite

I agree with most of you here, but I think it is time for writers to give Polaris something to shine. She was shining in ANXF until the cancellation for some reason. Polaris shine through every comic she's been in and writers just keep forgetting that Polaris came from waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back just like the rest of the xm (I guess one day we will be surprised). Polaris's powers are just like those of her daddy. But stronger? I guess one day we will also be surprised. In Magneto solo book, she looks amazing and glad that she's shining through with her dad and no xm are involved. So pretty much we will see her and Magneto and no one else. SO, at least she will have her moments.

Lallypops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Polaris. I also believe she's powerful.

Geforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh yes, Polaris is very powerful. I think she's more powerful than Magneto himself IF she push herself as those panels are stating (Sry Magneto ).

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think magneto and polaris can only manipulate magnetism. electricity just amplifies their powers.

Viperians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Viperians

Polaris is not much less powerful than Magneto, and now was trained by the Master of the Magnetism himself, so is much smarter and knows how to use her powers better. Right now, she's watching her father saving the world and I'm sure Magneto is teaching her even more. But Polaris is getting stronger and stronger and prob she can even be stronger than her father. And they can do more than just manipulate magnetism.

PurePleazure4u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PurePleazure4u

in uncanny recently at Polaris' wedding to Havok she went insane and paralysed everybody at the wedding, including all the x-men.... she's quickly approaching Magneto's power level. I can imagine how her powers increases by now.

PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

in uncanny recently at Polaris' wedding to Havok she went insane and paralysed everybody at the wedding, including all the x-men.... she's quickly approaching Magneto's power level. I can imagine how her powers increase by now.

Unfortunately that was back in 2003 pre-M Day. Her powers have fluctuated a bit since then. I do think she's more powerful now, but Issue 425, when the wedding happened, was definitely a low point.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone remember when Zaladane took her powers and she developed super human strength?? That was pretty cool I always thought, I would have liked to see where that would have gone.

No Caption Provided

Azalae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phoenixofthetides: In Uncanny X-Men #476, she is referred to as one of the biggest threats of the current team by the opposing Shi'ar Imperial Shockers, cybernetic guards, that includes Rachel with the Phoenix Force, and Alex. In the "Emperor Vulcan" storyline it became obvious that her power level is significantly heightened, as she shields the Starjammer against the attacks of a whole fleet of starships and was shown to directly destroy at least one enemy battleship with a magnetic blast. Polaris helps in the big fight and seriously hurts Vulcan and Gladiator with her powers, but in the end she is one of the X-Men left behind. In the past she was never a warrior, she didn't want to fight, but things have changed now. Also in the last issue of Kingbreaker she holds back an Ocean. Polaris can even protect herself with any metal she can find around her, quickly melt them, and wear it as an armor for more protection. I believe her power has been tremendous increase in the past few years. I'll give her that much.

PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azalae: Yep, she is definitely more powerful now, but some of her showings in the most recent iteration of X-Factor weren't that great. Loved that series, though.

Azalae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Azalae

@phoenixofthetides: I don't think her showing were that bad at all.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
Lorna nonchalantly blows up a missile with a snap of her fingers and then explains to Gambit what Serval Industries is. I thought that was very funny.
Lorna nonchalantly blows up a missile with a snap of her fingers and then explains to Gambit what Serval Industries is. I thought that was very funny.

No Caption Provided
"You Dare Threaten Us" Here she pretty much sounded like her father.

No Caption Provided

I don't think she disappointed me here, but yea, she did hold herself back (as usual) during this story arc. But now she is in Magneto book and this can be a totally blown away because she's showing her energy power by tremendous. Writers keep increasing and decreasing her powers and there can be a significant reason for this, because it's feel like this time she's just gonna blown us all away. I feel it.

Snurks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Polaris IS that nexus (the perfect tool held by the Shadow King), as X-Factor discovers in X-Factor #69

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Polaris is one of the few who has been used by many other powerful being. Who has been used as a symbol oh the nexus being. Same goes with Scarlet Witch both have been used by superior powerful being. I wonder why ?

Nevertheless, Polaris is more powerful than we can ever imagine.

PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azalae: Notice I said some of her showings were low ;). Loved that scan with the airplane & missiles BTW. She would have come in handy in "X-Men 2: X United".

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phoenixofthetides: ^_^ jennifer joe is going to be playing polaris in 2020 x-men called X-Men: The End. Bryan singer described Polaris as envious and dangerous due to her magnetic powers and her ability to control the minds of others around her with ease.You will see her use her powers to harm the innocent but become a hero in the end.

No Caption Provided
adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone remember when Zaladane took her powers and she developed super human strength?? That was pretty cool I always thought, I would have liked to see where that would have gone.

No Caption Provided

I actually liked that too, but the look....

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

I actually liked that too, but the look....

lol.....the late 80s-early 90s. Everyone looked pretty atrocious.

Noctum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stormweatherwitchgoddessqueenx: That's bull. It's not confirmed anywhere and Polaris in comics didn't start like that. (So, I don't know where you getting that from. If so, I would like some link)

She is also very kindhearted, helpful and considerate towards the people around her.

Many times she wanted to wash her hands off the X-men's business, but every time they needed help she would definitely be there for them even if she has her reservations.

She is a great help and a valuable asset of the X-men! She does believe in Prof. X's cause for coexistence, which explains why she did work with the X-men in the first place. I guess the never-ending fights have worn her out, but that has not stopped her from being the X-men Polaris she is today. The only difference is that sometimes she needs to get away from the chaos and madness of the cruel reality. Polaris is really quite a simple girl who wants to lead a normal life like most mutants. She enjoys leading a peaceful life and spending her time with the love of her life. Storm on the other hand, acted with jealousy and killed her husband (in order to steal the crown) and other people before. She can easily be what you're describing. She was the God of thief to begin with.

Viperians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noctum said:

@stormweatherwitchgoddessqueenx: That's bull. It's not confirmed anywhere and Polaris in comics didn't start like that. (So, I don't know where you getting that from. If so, I would like some link)

She is also very kindhearted, helpful and considerate towards the people around her.

Many times she wanted to wash her hands off the X-men's business, but every time they needed help she would definitely be there for them even if she has her reservations.

She is a great help and a valuable asset of the X-men! She does believe in Prof. X's cause for coexistence, which explains why she did work with the X-men in the first place. I guess the never-ending fights have worn her out, but that has not stopped her from being the X-men Polaris she is today. The only difference is that sometimes she needs to get away from the chaos and madness of the cruel reality. Polaris is really quite a simple girl who wants to lead a normal life like most mutants. She enjoys leading a peaceful life and spending her time with the love of her life. Storm on the other hand, acted with jealousy and killed her husband (in order to steal the crown) and other people before. She can easily be what you're describing. She was the God of thief to begin with.

True

PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm: Yep. I even liked how that storyline was resolved.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol I'm all for showing Polaris some love, (she enjoys a comfy seat in most of my X-Men Top 10's) but why do some posters come off as though everyone is under estimating her....I've never really seen Polaris being low balled and in fact most runs showcase just how stupidly powerful she is.

I think the only reason someone could feel she's not strong enough is if they want her to be Magneto level, which as we've seen from Mags himself, is either going to hurt the character or hurt the story when someone with that level of strength is a member of a team where they can't always be the answer to the problem.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol.....the late 80s-early 90s. Everyone looked pretty atrocious.

Mullets and cobra-hair... that was epic.

Yep. I even liked how that storyline was resolved.

You mean with the powers?

@koays said:

Lol I'm all for showing Polaris some love, (she enjoys a comfy seat in most of my X-Men Top 10's) but why do some posters come off as though everyone is under estimating her....I've never really seen Polaris being low balled and in fact most runs showcase just how stupidly powerful she is.

Maybe not on the Vine, but I've seen lots of venom spewed towards her.

I think the only reason someone could feel she's not strong enough is if they want her to be Magneto level, which as we've seen from Mags himself, is either going to hurt the character or hurt the story when someone with that level of strength is a member of a team where they can't always be the answer to the problem.

Sad but true (c)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: either going to hurt the character or hurt the story when someone with that level of strength is a member of a team where they can't always be the answer to the problem. ? Lol umm the same can be presently said about storm,she sense movements in the air,she has planetary weather,she can freeze objects and people,control air in a person's lungs,use wind to do different things and one of those things are her using wind to deflects bullets like a telekinetic,etc. Polaris and storm are pretty powerful but they can still be on a team.

PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm: I meant with the whole fight vs. the Shadow King on the astral plane while the X-Men fought mind-controlled team members on Muir Island. The ending, where all the core teams were consolidated and reorganized into the X-Men Gold and Blue Strikeforces, and X-Factor was satisfying to me.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jay_Alam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: either going to hurt the character or hurt the story when someone with that level of strength is a member of a team where they can't always be the answer to the problem. ? Lol umm the same can be presently said about storm,she sense movements in the air,she has planetary weather,she can freeze objects and people,control air in a person's lungs,use wind to do different things and one of those things are her using wind to deflects bullets like a telekinetic,etc. Polaris and storm are pretty powerful but they can still be on a team.

I agree, I don't see why not. Both can join the team. I mean, Jean was in the x men team while being the Phoenix. What more powerful than that... right? I like Polaris just like I like Storm and Jean. They are all x ladies to me.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So your saying people don't complain every time Storm can't doesn't solve a problem using one of those abilities you just listed?

Storm has a lengthy list of power uses and so does Magneto, but at one point they were both accused of being basically low balled by the writers because they weren't using their powers to their full potential. And the inverse is that if/when either is written at their full potential it gets hard for other characters to shine.

Hell look at Rachel Grey, arguably one of the most powerful mutants on the planet, never had any real loss of power since the Phoenix Force originally left her. And yet she's being taken down by mercenaries and mooks in Amazing X-Men, and yet in order to tell the story she couldn't have been at her Exodus beating, Blackhole generating, galaxy spanning TP and time traveling strongest because the story wasn't about her saving the day the result was she only used her TP in that story and Iceman mocked her for it never working. There's a middle ground and it's hard to hit with more powerful characters....that's not something that can even be debated.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm: I always thought that it was more of her whacky backstory and sometimes generic personality that bothered people.... but I never thought anyone was hating her so much she deserved what is basically a respect thread. I mean even under Austen (her most controversial writer and characterization) she was giving lectures to Xavier while building monuments with his and Magneto's faces on them from scrap metal...chicks always been strong.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm: I meant with the whole fight vs. the Shadow King on the astral plane while the X-Men fought mind-controlled team members on Muir Island. The ending, where all the core teams were consolidated and reorganized into the X-Men Gold and Blue Strikeforces, and X-Factor was satisfying to me.

Eh, kind of rushed. Polaris having super strength was pretty pointless as it was abruptly ended with no real point because Claremont never got to follow it up. The original proposal was suppose to have the Muir Island Saga culminate in issue 300 or so with the death of Xavier (instead of his uh...."re-crippling") at the hands of the Shadow King and Magneto was supposed to assume Xaviers role permanently.

The whole thing with Zaladane and Lorna Dane is that they were actually supposed to be sisters with Zaladane fulfilling a large role as a major villain throughout the 90s with her trying to bring the Savage Land to prominence on a global and political scale as it would have been a new, uninhabited land mass and Polaris was supposed to remain having super strength and join X-Factor as government agents.....which is what happened to her anyways.

Now, it's completely fine if you are cool with the way things panned out, I just always felt that after Claremont left they tried really hard to eliminate all his story lines as quickly as possible. I just kind of dislike the early 90s X-Men.

Here are some of the concept designs for the 90s X-Men before the blue and Gold strike force were decided. Notice Magnetos head in the background as he was supposed to be mentor and a (still) jacked Polaris on the X-Factor team.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Koays

@jay_alam said:
@stormweatherwitchgoddessqueenx said:

I agree, I don't see why not. Both can join the team. I mean, Jean was in the x men team while being the Phoenix. What more powerful than that... right? I like Polaris just like I like Storm and Jean. They are all x ladies to me.

Well Jean as Phoenix has been removed from the story 3 times. And considering how many people said "I can't wait for Jean to come bring back all the mutants" during what was the MAJOR plot of 6-7 years of X-Books I think you can see my point on some characters being story breaker if they're always illustrated as high level world breaking threats.

Don't get me wrong it can work, I mean Rachel Grey in Excalibur went up against the Beyonder and then went back to lower tier threats....but even then that story was more personality driven then power driven like today's stories tend to be. So if Captain Britan decides to tackle a werewolf monster instead of Rachel hurling it into space it doesn't change the fact that the main plot was about Nightcrawler's relationship....while today people unleash hell when Storm gets tired from repowering a space station in a story about Rachel dealing with revenge.

Jay_Alam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jay_Alam

@koays said:
@jay_alam said:
@stormweatherwitchgoddessqueenx said:

Well Jean as Phoenix has been removed from the story 3 times. And considering how many people said "I can't wait for Jean to come bring back all the mutants" during what was the MAJOR plot of 6-7 years of X-Books I think you can see my point on some characters being story breaker if they're always illustrated as high level world breaking threats.

Don't get me wrong it can work, I mean Rachel Grey in Excalibur went up against the Beyonder and then went back to lower tier threats....but even then that story was more personality driven then power driven like today's stories tend to be. So if Captain Britan decides to tackle a werewolf monster instead of Rachel hurling it into space it doesn't change the fact that the main plot was about Nightcrawler's relationship....while today people unleash hell when Storm gets tired from repowering a space station in a story about Rachel dealing with revenge.

I see your point, but that's not how I see it with Scarlet witch. With Jean was because according to the writers, she can destroy the whole galaxy (you can pretend by this, Marvel wouldn't exist), but just because they're powerful doesn't mean it will hurt the story or the characters itself, because scarlet Witch, who is one of the most powerful to ever exist in the Marvel U, is still in a team and she is probably the most important female from the team and story. Heck, Emma Frost, who is considered to be Omega class, joined the x men and how interesting she played out the whole x men arcs (without hurting stories or her characterization). Polaris and Storm who being around for too long and became (or becoming) powerful will not hurt the story at all let alone their characterization. Teams will always need someone powerful to face the big threat. But you see, that's me.

PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Polaris and Storm should team up more often. I hate it when characters whose powers would seem to be natural fits don't get put on the same roster - Dazzler and Banshee would be a great team up. Storm and Polaris have already proved that they can exceed their limits since their powers synch up in many ways.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Lallypops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phoenixofthetides: Yes! They will make a perfect team. Can you tell me what issue was this? Is that from Classic X-Men?

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays:

She's been through crappy stories, no denial here, but it's her vast potential that I like and support so much. It has a lot to do with Magneto and how an infinitely compelling story should come as the result of her growing into her own char ACKNOWLEDGING all of her contrived history. I could see PAD doing something with it but we all know how it ended sadly.

Polaris and Storm should team up more often. I hate it when characters whose powers would seem to be natural fits don't get put on the same roster - Dazzler and Banshee would be a great team up. Storm and Polaris have already proved that they can exceed their limits since their powers synch up in many ways.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Agreed. Can be awesome if done right.

Geforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

@koays:

She's been through crappy stories, no denial here, but it's her vast potential that I like and support so much. It has a lot to do with Magneto and how an infinitely compelling story should come as the result of her growing into her own char ACKNOWLEDGING all of her contrived history. I could see PAD doing something with it but we all know how it ended sadly.

I don't think all of the X Factor's stories was crappy. I don't think House of M was crappy. I don't think War of Kings was crappy at all. Neither AvX nor any Uncanny x tittles especially in Magneto book and ANXF. Saying she's been through crappy stories is like saying all the x tittles stories was crappy (that's my understanding).

PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phoenixofthetides: Yes! They will make a perfect team. Can you tell me what issue was this? Is that from Classic X-Men?

That is from Giant Size X-Men #1 - the issue where the All-New, All-Different X-Men rescue the original class from Krakoa.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geforce said:
@adamtrmm said:

@koays:

I don't think all of the X Factor's stories was crappy. I don't think House of M was crappy. I don't think War of Kings was crappy at all. Neither AvX nor any Uncanny x tittles especially in Magneto book and ANXF. Saying she's been through

crappy stories is like saying all the x tittles stories was crappy (that's my understanding).

I'm pretty sure that's not what he meant...but yea. Polaris is one of those characters (Jean Grey among them) who I feel can benefit from addressing all of the different writers takes on "Who ____ is" and "Where did ______ come from?". I think one of the most annoying things was in X-Factor after they found out what happened with her parents, how they decided not to call Magneto over to have that sit down. I mean Mag's was taking part in all the Uncanny stuff and Co-staring in Carrey's Legacy book with Rogue (which brought Polaris back) and X-Factor had a lot of plot to tackle shortly after that....but its one of those missed oppurtunities to turn her complex continuity into unique backstory by acknowledging all the crazy "is he/isn't he her father" that brought them to that point.

@jay_alam said:
@koays said:
@jay_alam said:

I see your point, but that's not how I see it with Scarlet witch. With Jean was because according to the writers, she can destroy the whole galaxy (you can pretend by this, Marvel wouldn't exist), but just because they're powerful doesn't mean it will hurt the story or the characters itself, because scarlet Witch, who is one of the most powerful to ever exist in the Marvel U, is still in a team and she is probably the most important female from the team and story. Heck, Emma Frost, who is considered to be Omega class, joined the x men and how interesting she played out the whole x men arcs (without hurting stories or her characterization). Polaris and Storm who being around for too long and became (or becoming) powerful will not hurt the story at all let alone their characterization. Teams will always need someone powerful to face the big threat. But you see, that's me.

Again I think your taking my point to it's extreme. I'm not saying that a powerful character can't exist on a team at all, I'm saying that you run the gauntlet of trying to write around their abilities with certain threats.

Keep in mind that very early in Fractions run the Skrull Invasion happened and Emma Frost, while having her mind ripped from her body, managed to flip the entire 100+ Skrull Psychic Hivemind on its self despite it being trained especially to deal with her, Xavier, Jean etc. Then she goes on to be challenged when it comes to reading minds, and dealing with simple psy-sheilds. She couldn't even get into Scott's mind due to years old mental blocks. And the intention wasn't to make her look weak, but to create tension with revelations such as X-Force, Scott's secret box, the Omega Sentinels....etc.

The problem was she was repeatedly reffered to as being an Omega Class Psychic, but couldn't solve all their problems with a blink and half a thought or their wouldn't be a story to tell or obstacles to put in front of the characters.

Rachel Grey is another example. Far and a way has some of the best and most wide ranged Psychic abilities of any character in the X-Verse without the Phoenix and sometimes with it. Her return to Earth after 3 years is heralded by her projecting her mind across the galaxy without a boost or Cerebro. And yet....she spends most of WatX-Men saying "she can't find this" or "can't sense that"....but it's not because she's weak or incompetent...but because if a story is about how Quinten Quire fights the evil Hell Fire Club to save the classmates from the school he thought he hated and Wolverine going out of his way to hunt down the kids he let down...it doesn't need Rachel showing up in half a panel to resolve the plot. On the other hand it does hurt her when she doesn't get shown at that level even though she was Projecting minds across the galaxy and defeating Psychic Juggernauts like Exodus only a few months before.

It's not that these characters can't be powerful, it's that it's hard to continue to write them as powerful without ignoring some of their established growth, or having them simply eliminate drama by using their powersets to previously established limits. Basically Storm can shield teams from bullets, but if the plot is about Jubilee getting shot either Storm has to miss a bullet or Jubilee doesn't get a story

UHypocrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By UHypocrite

@geforce said:
@adamtrmm said:

@koays:

I don't think all of the X Factor's stories was crappy. I don't think House of M was crappy. I don't think War of Kings was crappy at all. Neither AvX nor any Uncanny x tittles especially in Magneto book and ANXF. Saying she's been through crappy stories is like saying all the x tittles stories was crappy (that's my understanding).

Agree. Neither Exiles, or Kingbreaker, or Emperor Vulcan, or Magneto Dark Seduction (or any of the Magneto's book), or any XM Legacy, or Spider-man and XF Shadowgames, and the hell with that I think she was even fantastic in Fantastic Force. Such hypocrite people when it comes to Magneto and his relation. Ugh.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geforce said:
@adamtrmm said:

@koays:

Agree. Neither Exiles, or Kingbreaker, or Emperor Vulcan, or Magneto Dark Seduction (or any of the Magneto's book), or any XM Legacy, or Spider-man and XF Shadowgames, and the hell with that I think she was even fantastic in Fantastic Force. Such hypocrite people when it comes to Magneto and his relation. Ugh.

-_-You know, I feel like if either of you had read my original comment and scene that we were discussing her the effects of her confusing history and Chuck Austen's development of the character on how people see her....then I wouldnt have gotten these notifications.

I mean jeez, we were talking about why we liked the character and felt she didn't have to be defended.

UHypocrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:
@uhypocrite said:
@geforce said:
@adamtrmm said:

@koays:

-_-You know, I feel like if either of you had read my original comment and scene that we were discussing her the effects of her confusing history and Chuck Austen's development of the character on how people see her....then I wouldnt have gotten these notifications.

I mean jeez, we were talking about why we liked the character and felt she didn't have to be defended.

I was only agreeing with geforce. Nothing more. I was only stating all the good stories she's been through and that's including Inferno.

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so who do you think would win, current POLARIS or SCARLET WITCH?

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Could go either way but a prolonged fight greatly favors Wanda.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By adamTRMM

@geforce said:

What... how...

Anyway, your understanding wasn't on point.

@uhypocrite said:
@geforce said:
@adamtrmm said:

@koays:

Was that directed at me?

@koays said:

I'm pretty sure that's not what he meant...but yea. Polaris is one of those characters (Jean Grey among them) who I feel can benefit from addressing all of the different writers takes on "Who ____ is" and "Where did ______ come from?". I think one of the most annoying things was in X-Factor after they found out what happened with her parents, how they decided not to call Magneto over to have that sit down. I mean Mag's was taking part in all the Uncanny stuff and Co-staring in Carrey's Legacy book with Rogue (which brought Polaris back) and X-Factor had a lot of plot to tackle shortly after that....but its one of those missed oppurtunities to turn her complex continuity into unique backstory by acknowledging all the crazy "is he/isn't he her father" that brought them to that point.

Yep. This.

jmc247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@noctum said:

You described Claremont's Lorna very well, but not the Lorna before him or after him.

Claremont turned Lorna into what I can only called the anti-Storm, but she was a much tougher and edgier character in the 60s.

No Caption Provided

Obviously, the change wasn't all Claremont's doing she appeared in 1968, but editors in 1969 decided to retcon Lorna's parentage and then when X-Men ended she was dumped off with Havok. But, in the end this is what Claremont turned her into... the anti-Storm.

No Caption Provided

That is not the Lorna that lasted into the 90s though. Honestly she was on the path to returning to her roots as a tougher character even by 1993.

No Caption Provided

Lorna being philosophically in terms of mutant rights and using lethal force on threats different from the mainline X-Men was something from the 60s that went away for a long time and came back in the 90s and really reared its head last decade. The same occurred for her connection to Magneto being re-established.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Modern Lorna is IMHO has grown into an interesting character because she doesn't see the world like the X-Men and not simply not seeing the world like the X-Men because she wants to live the simple life with Havok.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By adamTRMM

@jmc247 said:

Modern Lorna is IMHO has grown into an interesting character because she doesn't see the world like the X-Men and not simply not seeing the world like the X-Men because she wants to live the simple life with Havok.

And hopefully the next writer DOES realize that! I don't think I'll overcome another reunion with Havok...

To me it was always interesting that Remender (or was it X-office?) considered them both for X-force initially.