• 69 results
#1 Posted by Koays (4268 posts) - - Show Bio

The X-Men have been around long enough that things are often rehashed and reused to death, or till just the mention of it's name causes groans of annoyance or burst of laughter when it should cause excitement.

So including, groups, organizations, galactic threats, ideals, relationships, concepts and storylines.....

Which staples of the X-Men mythos would you not mind never being brought up again?

(If you say Phoenix then you have to give 5 sentences explaining why -_-)

#2 Posted by McKlayn (1189 posts) - - Show Bio

Phoenix ;D

It's simple, its very repetitive and the last few times the story hasn't been very good. Its almost to the point of insulting the original concept, the more times we rehash it the less affect the original had, to top it all off the list of phoenix host gets bigger and bigger :-p it just doesn't seem to have the same affect, OH and the power levels vary from story to story making it blah so yea leave it be!! not sure if thats 5 sentences or not but yea lol

#3 Posted by numi (279 posts) - - Show Bio

Time travel. Enough already.

#4 Posted by unicornpuncher (445 posts) - - Show Bio

1. professor x dies
  2. jean grey dies
  3. the mansion gets blown up
  4. some old team is reunited again with no real story for why they are back together
  5. shadow king
  6. another mention of storm being clausterphobic
  7. the mention of thunderbird (the original one that died)
  8. alternate timestreams

I honestly really liked where things were going when cyclops took over and there werent new mutants all over the place right before x-force V2 was out. The X men were getting along, villans were interesting and cyclops had a hit list. Some x-men were fighting, some were in school and most all were in separate books and stayed that way.

Im trying to stick through things right now, but the storylines have gotten pretty bad. But comics have their ups and downs so ill try to stick it out. Ill admit im enjoying the 05 thing more than I thought I would and the uncanny avengers much less than I thought I would.

#5 Edited by cattlebattle (14343 posts) - - Show Bio

@numi said:

Time travel. Enough already.

Yeah, for real. This is what single handedly took me out of taking the X-Men seriously in the 90s. When they introduced Rachel Grey I didn't really mind because Claremont kept making references to details from her future were on the precipice of actually happening (Nimrod, the Hounds etc.) Then the 90s were like "here is Bishop, Cable, Stryfe, two of which are the same person because they have been cloned after having a......who cares"

There is lots of repeat offenders. Alternate universes, clones, reviving the same villains as kid or females or whatever.

#6 Edited by Rabbitearsblog (6488 posts) - - Show Bio

Time traveling and the phoenix force are the biggest offenders for me. With the Phoenix Force, they are always changing the history about it such as the Phoenix Force was only related to Jean Grey at first and then they changed it to a cosmic force that almost anyone can take over and it got to the point where I could care less about the story lines regarding the Phoenix Force (the Dark Phoenix Saga was the only Phoenix story that I really cared about).

The time traveling aspects were interesting when "Days of Future Past" was introduced, but after that, they started doing it so much that I got tired of that concept.

#7 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5225 posts) - - Show Bio

@mcklayn said:

Phoenix ;D

It's simple, its very repetitive and the last few times the story hasn't been very good. Its almost to the point of insulting the original concept, the more times we rehash it the less affect the original had, to top it all off the list of phoenix host gets bigger and bigger :-p it just doesn't seem to have the same affect, OH and the power levels vary from story to story making it blah so yea leave it be!! not sure if thats 5 sentences or not but yea lol

Time traveling and the phoenix force are the biggest offenders for me. With the Phoenix Force, they are always changing the history about it such as the Phoenix Force was only related to Jean Grey at first and then they changed it to a cosmic force that almost anyone can take over and it got to the point where I could care less about the story lines regarding the Phoenix Force (the Dark Phoenix Saga was the only Phoenix story that I really cared about).

The introduction of the Phoenix as a force beyond Jean Grey had some potential, in that it's first reiteration was through Rachel and thus seemed to be touching on the idea of mental illness being hereditary and a cycle that Rachel was able to break because she was better informed about it than Jean. Though she struggled with it, she ultimately learned to control it. That made for a satisfying completion of the story cycle.

Everything after that just seemed like beating a dead horse. And writing Jean out of DPS just made it worse, because not only did that make it not her story (thus negating the personal lasting effects it should have had on the characters), but it broke the connection to why Rachel would have become the Phoenix, or why she would have thought that Jean had been; it just undid too much of the story.

Time travel and outer space stories are also ones I tire of in X-men, but at least those are both broad enough as concepts that I'd hate for any writer to feel they were off-limits if they actually had a story to tell; the Phoenix stuff felt like it was and should have been a specific story, and over with long ago.

#8 Edited by PhoenixoftheTides (3964 posts) - - Show Bio

@mcklayn said:

Phoenix ;D

Agreed. And I liked the character and story so much I made it part of my username years ago. :cue regret:

@oldnightcrawler said:

Time travel and outer space stories are also ones I tire of in X-men, but at least those are both broad enough as concepts that I'd hate for any writer to feel they were off-limits if they actually had a story to tell; the Phoenix stuff felt like it was and should have been a specific story, and over with long ago.

It's funny because the same writers, including Grant Morrison (whose run I loved, so I'm not bashing him), criticize the Phoenix as holding the X-Men back...yet they repeatedly revisit it just so they can say they wrote a "Phoenix Story" IMO. Grant Morrison's whole schpiel was that the Phoenix represented the X-Men's past so he had to kill it to move forward, but this was juxtaposed by the fact that Jean Grey had existed as a character without the Phoenix for years and it was his re-opening that story line that prevented her character from moving forward. In some ways, New X-Men would have ended far stronger if Jean ended up expunging the concept entirely.

If she realized the Phoenix was her omega level power being expressed in a way for her to understand it (part of the inhibitors that Prof. X had placed in her rmind years ago given new expression), and that was why the Phoenix kept coming for her making it her voluntary choice to expunge it from her system and lose that cosmic awareness in favor of her own potential, it would have been more re-affirming of her humanity and a nice way to call back to the end of the original Saga (in which she died rather than lose control). Instead she died of a massive stroke. Which is kind of weak.

The whole "that storyline/concept is so overdone, so I'm going to show you how overdone it is by re-using that storyline/concept!"

Anyway, this gives me an excuse to post some really great images I've found:

#9 Posted by RaggedScarecrow (1129 posts) - - Show Bio

Im trying to stick through things right now, but the storylines have gotten pretty bad. But comics have their ups and downs so ill try to stick it out. Ill admit im enjoying the 05 thing more than I thought I would and the uncanny avengers much less than I thought I would.

I completely agree with you, especially the bolded part. The X-Men have hit a Dark Age ever since Schism hit and it's time to let it go. Before the X-Men split up, I was buying ever X-title on the racks, but come May I'm down to just 3 (Uncanny X-Men, X-Force, and X-Men). Hopefully there's some new launches coming up in June/July or I might have to cut the X-Men out of my pull list all together.

As for the OP, there's only one thing I'm tired of seeing: Wolverine's secret origin! Seriously, we've had a dozen different solo titles dedicated to telling us the new shocking secret and I'm tired of it.

#10 Posted by THUNDERBOLT30 (11648 posts) - - Show Bio

1. The Phoenix Force

2. Also agreed on Wolverine's Origin

3. And agreed on the time travel overuse

#11 Edited by Koays (4268 posts) - - Show Bio

I completely agree with you, especially the bolded part. The X-Men have hit a Dark Age ever since Schism hit and it's time to let it go. Before the X-Men split up, I was buying ever X-title on the racks, but come May I'm down to just 3 (Uncanny X-Men, X-Force, and X-Men). Hopefully there's some new launches coming up in June/July or I might have to cut the X-Men out of my pull list all together.

As for the OP, there's only one thing I'm tired of seeing: Wolverine's secret origin! Seriously, we've had a dozen different solo titles dedicated to telling us the new shocking secret and I'm tired of it.

Truth.
I've never really been interested in Wolverines backstory pass becoming Weapon X, but I feel like at this point we're going to be able to chart every moment of Logan's life down to the minute.

Also I think I'm done with the Shiar, I don't have a problem with characters like Gladiator, but the entire concept of the empire as a whole seems like it got out of control after the 3rd time it fell part, and now everytime it's brought up it seems more ridiculous then the last.

I get that their the X-Men's aliens in the same vein as the Avengers have the Kree, but I think I'd rather read a time travel story then anything involving Shiar/Death Commandos/Lilandra's evil step cousin twice removed

#12 Edited by RaggedScarecrow (1129 posts) - - Show Bio
@koays said:

@raggedscarecrow said:

Truth.

I've never really been interested in Wolverines backstory pass becoming Weapon X, but I feel like at this point we're going to be able to chart every moment of Logan's life down to the minute.

He's just so over-exposed at this point. They really need to pare down his monthly appearances and give some of those solo titles to another character.

#13 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5225 posts) - - Show Bio

1. It's funny because the same writers, including Grant Morrison (whose run I loved, so I'm not bashing him), criticize the Phoenix as holding the X-Men back...yet they repeatedly revisit it just so they can say they wrote a "Phoenix Story" IMO. Grant Morrison's whole schpiel was that the Phoenix represented the X-Men's past so he had to kill it to move forward, but this was juxtaposed by the fact that Jean Grey had existed as a character without the Phoenix for years and it was his re-opening that story line that prevented her character from moving forward. In some ways, New X-Men would have ended far stronger if Jean ended up expunging the concept entirely.
  2. If she realized the Phoenix was her omega level power being expressed in a way for her to understand it (part of the inhibitors that Prof. X had placed in her rmind years ago given new expression), and that was why the Phoenix kept coming for her making it her voluntary choice to expunge it from her system and lose that cosmic awareness in favor of her own potential, it would have been more re-affirming of her humanity and a nice way to call back to the end of the original Saga (in which she died rather than lose control). Instead she died of a massive stroke. Which is kind of weak.
  3. The whole "that storyline/concept is so overdone, so I'm going to show you how overdone it is by re-using that storyline/concept!"

1. I've always dug Morrison's run up to that point, partially for that reason (though also because I hated his use of Magneto, and his Wolverine left much to be desired). Around Planet X or so, and after, it indulges in a kind of self parody in an attempt to make a statement. And it's not even that I disagree with his points, so much as I just didn't enjoy the execution of them. Up until then, I thought his run was gold.

2.That could have been cool.

The funny thing for me is that his was probably my favorite version of Jean Grey after 1980. I didn't even mind that she was the Phoenix, because to me, that was the original idea. But since I hadn't really cared much for Jean between DPS and New X-men, that I didn't really care that he killed her either, because I did sort of see his point. Then again, if she was still around -especially in the expunged state you suggest- how would she have effected the story? Would I still like her now?

3. yeah, pretty much. It was all too cheeky for me. Especially for a run that had been so revitalizing and singular in it's first half.

If it were up to me, I'd rather they had never bothered in the first place. It was cooler when you didn't know. Plus then you could imagine his origin to have been at any time in the past; which would also mean a lot more stories he could be in.

In my mind I just always assume that he was actually a caveman who had been alive since the dawn of man. Of course someone that old, who'd been shot in the head so much, had his memories tampered with, and been possessed so often wouldn't remember his history. I know that's not the story they go with, but given his history, literally anything is possible. That he didn't know was cooler because it meant that we could never know.

#14 Posted by Selina_Sublime (188 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Ressurrections
2. Alternate timelines/time travel
3. Phoenix
4. The school being destroyed/re-opened
5. Emma/Jean feud

#15 Posted by Koays (4268 posts) - - Show Bio

If it were up to me, I'd rather they had never bothered in the first place. It was cooler when you didn't know. Plus then you could imagine his origin to have been at any time in the past; which would also mean a lot more stories he could be in.

In my mind I just always assume that he was actually a caveman who had been alive since the dawn of man. Of course someone that old, who'd been shot in the head so much, had his memories tampered with, and been possessed so often wouldn't remember his history. I know that's not the story they go with, but given his history, literally anything is possible. That he didn't know was cooler because it meant that we could never know.

Wasn't this some writers plan for him? Like he wasn't really a mutant....just from a human like species that had similar abilities to him? I don't recall where but I remember this idea being an axed version of his background.

#16 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5225 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays said:

@oldnightcrawler said:

I just always assume that he was actually a caveman who had been alive since the dawn of man. Of course someone that old, who'd been shot in the head so much, had his memories tampered with, and been possessed so often wouldn't remember his history.

Wasn't this some writers plan for him? Like he wasn't really a mutant....just from a human like species that had similar abilities to him? I don't recall where but I remember this idea being an axed version of his background.

was it? I was just thinking like he's a mutant, but just one of the first.

That does sound weirdly familiar, the part about him not really being a mutant, but I dunno.

#17 Posted by HAWK2916 (2512 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say: Time travel. Alternate universes. Phoenix (story has been done to death). Deaths used as plot points along with retcons. Wolverine is definitely overexposed and overused- if I hear he's the best at what he does again, I think I'll flamin lose it. The Schism is ridiculous at this point and overdone. JGS just being weird for no reason is overdone.

#18 Edited by Koays (4268 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawk2916 said:

I would say: Time travel. Alternate universes. Phoenix (story has been done to death). Deaths used as plot points along with retcons. Wolverine is definitely overexposed and overused- if I hear he's the best at what he does again, I think I'll flamin lose it. The Schism is ridiculous at this point and overdone. JGS just being weird for no reason is overdone.

Deaths are definitely over used.
There should be a restriction on deaths at this point unless there meaningful, or have important follow up....Nightcrawler died and no one mentioned it after a month. Archangel *died* and everyone shrugs it off. Xavier died and everyone is in shock....except the fans because he's pulled this on us a few times before.

#19 Posted by HAWK2916 (2512 posts) - - Show Bio

I forgot to add, everybody getting these solos is overdone.

#20 Posted by mr_gone (253 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays said:

@oldnightcrawler said:

the idea was that he was an actual wolverine that was evolved/mutated by the high evolutionary.

on OP though, i'd say the constant resurrections. it gets old

#21 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5225 posts) - - Show Bio

@mr_gone said:

the idea was that he was an actual wolverine that was evolved/mutated by the high evolutionary.

ha! that old chestnut...

#22 Posted by Koays (4268 posts) - - Show Bio

Also, just to bring up the reason for the post....Sentinels

Don't get me wrong....I still get excited whenever I see a giant sentinel show up and everyone sort of freezes and reacts in shock...(I'd argue the only thing I liked about Schism was how everyone flipped out when the sentinel showed up)

But after years of being hinted at advanced sentinels in the future, don't you think it's about time we see one sentinel in the current timeline, who's advanced enough it doesn't need to be 30ft feet tall?

I was always hopeful that Predator X would replace sentinels as the go to anti-mutant weapon, battles against them are always exciting.

#23 Posted by darthphoenix (1476 posts) - - Show Bio

i just wish that they stop killing jean so that she doesnt have to keep on ressurecting. kill emma for a change. she has no excuse to come back. its time for a new white queen

#24 Posted by McKlayn (1189 posts) - - Show Bio
@koays said:

Don't get me wrong....I still get excited whenever I see a giant sentinel show up and everyone sort of freezes and reacts in shock...(I'd argue the only thing I liked about Schism was how everyone flipped out when the sentinel showed up)

But after years of being hinted at advanced sentinels in the future, don't you think it's about time we see one sentinel in the current timeline, who's advanced enough it doesn't need to be 30ft feet tall?

I was always hopeful that Predator X would replace sentinels as the go to anti-mutant weapon, battles against them are always exciting.

I totally see where your coming from but something about them just seem needed, its a bad guy they can kill and it still come back and back and back

#25 Posted by Avenger85 (3108 posts) - - Show Bio

Time Travel. Alternate realities. Please STOP with that.

#26 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5225 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays said:

Don't get me wrong....I still get excited whenever I see a giant sentinel show up and everyone sort of freezes and reacts in shock...(I'd argue the only thing I liked about Schism was how everyone flipped out when the sentinel showed up)But after years of being hinted at advanced sentinels in the future, don't you think it's about time we see one sentinel in the current timeline, who's advanced enough it doesn't need to be 30ft feet tall?

I remember thinking the same thing about the Phalanx when they first came out, before they were revealed to be aliens, when they seemed to be evolved Sentinels. Like T-1000 mixed with the Borg.

i just wish that they stop killing jean so that she doesnt have to keep on ressurecting.

or they could stop bringing her back so that she can't be killed..

#27 Edited by Koays (4268 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays said:

Don't get me wrong....I still get excited whenever I see a giant sentinel show up and everyone sort of freezes and reacts in shock...(I'd argue the only thing I liked about Schism was how everyone flipped out when the sentinel showed up)But after years of being hinted at advanced sentinels in the future, don't you think it's about time we see one sentinel in the current timeline, who's advanced enough it doesn't need to be 30ft feet tall?

I remember thinking the same thing about the Phalanx when they first came out, before they were revealed to be aliens, when they seemed to be evolved Sentinels. Like T-1000 mixed with the Borg.

The Phalanx do have this sort of "efficient force of nature" thing going for them. The only problem I think they had is that by most logic they seem like they should've won, which would've made them hard to reuse. I still think they should be revisited as a whole again, just for the danger aspect.

@mcklayn: I think the sentinels have just been over used....Cyclops' power levels can basically be measured on a Sentinel scale for how many he can take out without a visor. I still like a good sentinel appearance and maybe it wouldn't be so bad if the ONE sentinels had become the status quo... but the X-Men train their kids to kill sentinels as a morning exercise.

I'd prefer Predator X, because it's really just new and ruthless, and doesn't have an easy way to be beaten.

#28 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3964 posts) - - Show Bio

Kitty Pryde and Colossus' relationship is another pet peeve of mines. I never found it that interesting. I may be in the minority here, but she was the team's "young genius Mary Sue" for quite a few years, and I never missed her when she was written out. One of my favorite issues of the X-Men had to deal with her being re-assigned to the New Mutants. I didn't get why she called them X-Babies when some of their members were younger and more mature than she was, given the issues they faced.

#29 Posted by HAWK2916 (2512 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays: I love this. I was actually thinking along those same lines as far as the sentinels. I like the idea of more predator X's hunting down mutants. I also would love to see them revisit what Rachel Grey used to be in turning select mutants into hounds hunting their own fellow mutants.

I wouldn't do away with the Sentinels completely but I would try to evolve them. The 30 feet tall giant Sentinel is overdone. I dont think even the x-students flinch when they seem them.

I wish someone would somehow either invent or steal the Iron Man/Iron Patriot technology and build Sentinels based on that. Maybe make them 10 feet tall with Iron man type tech or just loaded up with all kinds of guns, energy weapons and/or tentacles that stun or drain life-force. I'd have Sentinels made of Adamantium or Carbonadium with all Cerebro records downloaded into them, so they know the weaknesses and strengths of all mutants similar to Nimrod. I also like the idea of the Exonim sentinels in Age of X. I would even try to do something where there are certain Sentinels that can takeover, possess, or hijack any Mechanical or Technology based device. The tech could infect cars, tanks, planes hell atm's (lol) any tech based equipment and turn it into a weapon.

#30 Posted by Koays (4268 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawk2916: I think if danger had a longer run as a villain we wouldve seen alot more things like that. I remember when she took over the Genosha sentinel that unleashed the swarms of sentinel drones, thinking that she' d create smarter sentinels. And it wouldve been cool because theyd have all the training data from years of danger room practice and all of the X-Mens anti sentinel strategies. It basically could've been an epic upgrade that couldve been hinting that were moving toward one of the many MANY dark futures where the sentinels actually took out the X-Men

I also think that the idea of the manned sentinel was a good idea. I always wanted to see the ONE sentinels have a showdown with the x-men, since it felt like they were people trained specifically to keep the X-Men in line even without their machines.

But really id think that we just need a more vicious mutant hunter...even the sentinels that attacked cyclops in uncanny seem a bit to casual and I dont think theyd be much of a threat if it werent for the artwork making them kind of hard to comprehend

#31 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5225 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays said:

@hawk2916: I think if danger had a longer run as a villain we wouldve seen alot more things like that. I remember when she took over the Genosha sentinel that unleashed the swarms of sentinel drones, thinking that she' d create smarter sentinels. And it wouldve been cool because theyd have all the training data from years of danger room practice and all of the X-Mens anti sentinel strategies. It basically could've been an epic upgrade that couldve been hinting that were moving toward one of the many MANY dark futures where the sentinels actually took out the X-Men

That actually sounds really cool, and could give Sentinels a reason to actually hate mutants.

it would also be an interesting irony if the future that a character like Nimrod is from was actually the result of Xavier using Danger to train the X-men in the first place, since that was his whole justification for keeping her imprisoned.

#32 Posted by McKlayn (1189 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays said:

That actually sounds really cool, and could give Sentinels a reason to actually hate mutants.

it would also be an interesting irony if the future that a character like Nimrod is from was actually the result of Xavier using Danger to train the X-men in the first place, since that was his whole justification for keeping her imprisoned.

Just more bastardization of Prof X lol, im surprised they didnt do it

#33 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5225 posts) - - Show Bio

@mcklayn said:

@oldnightcrawler said:

oh, I don't know where this idea that Xavier wasn't always kind of a jerk came from, but it's not from the comics .

Sure, he was basically a good guy trying to do something good, but everyone from Stan Lee to Claremont to Morrison and Whedon showed that he ended up doing all kinds of insane b.s. in that pursuit and being kind of a jerk about it at least half the time.

#34 Posted by Avenger85 (3108 posts) - - Show Bio

I never found kitty to be interesting at all. Now even more so by Bendis shoving "Professor Kitty Pryde" down our throats, she is even more boring. Whereas Rachel in her place would have been far better.

#35 Posted by HAWK2916 (2512 posts) - - Show Bio

@avenger85: I tend to agree with that about Rachel. In fact that would have been awesome considering her knowledge of the future and all. Even better if the O5 werent here

#36 Posted by Avenger85 (3108 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawk2916 said:

@avenger85: I tend to agree with that about Rachel. In fact that would have been awesome considering her knowledge of the future and all. Even better if the O5 werent here

Yeah of course haha. but the O5 are here, and I believe that there would be no better teacher for them than Rachel or Cable. I mean, look at what a stellar job Kitty's doing teaching Jean how to control her telepathy. Kitty and her ramblings, and the forced humour like Kitty and Iceman's impersonation of captain America and Beast just seem too forced and boring.

This job was tailor-made for Rachel.

#37 Edited by HAWK2916 (2512 posts) - - Show Bio

@avenger85: Yeah Cable getting started early with them or Rachel would be awesome. Maybe Cable could take them to his time period and teach them Askani principles. LOL again just get them out of here anyway possible

#38 Edited by McKlayn (1189 posts) - - Show Bio

@mcklayn said:

@oldnightcrawler said:

oh, I don't know where this idea that Xavier wasn't always kind of a jerk came from, but it's not from the comics .

Sure, he was basically a good guy trying to do something good, but everyone from Stan Lee to Claremont to Morrison and Whedon showed that he ended up doing all kinds of insane b.s. in that pursuit and being kind of a jerk about it at least half the time.

i dont disagree with that at all, he wasn't a saint nor do i ever say he was. But you have to admit there was a period of time where it seemed like they were trying to push him out of the way to make Cyclops the over all leader and did so by making him as unlikable as humanly possible so the fans would accept it a little easier. Dragging up every bad thing he had done and reminding us about it

#39 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5225 posts) - - Show Bio

@mcklayn said:

i dont disagree with that at all, he wasn't a saint nor do i ever say he was. But you have to admit there was a period of time where it seemed like they were trying to push him out of the way to make Cyclops the over all leader and did so by making him as unlikable as humanly possible so the fans would accept it a little easier. Dragging up every bad thing he had done and reminding us about it

I get where that idea comes from I think, but since none of that stuff ever made him less likable as a character to me, I wouldn't just assume that that was necessarily any of the writers' actual intention.

And, even if that was the intention (which seems unlikely to me), like I say, for me it didn't have that effect at all. I still liked him as much as I ever did.

#40 Posted by Wolverine08 (48774 posts) - - Show Bio

Was honestly expecting a rant about Wolverine when I read the thread title.

#41 Edited by Lieutenant_Awkward (125 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: You're not alone. I don't hate Wolverine, I just think he's overdone (kinda like DC and Batman) I wish they would give a spotlight to other characters, but they seem to be doing a good job at having Wolverine in a comic but not having it all focus on him in Amazing X-Men.

#42 Edited by adamTRMM (3324 posts) - - Show Bio
  1. hated and feared
  2. always oppressed, always misunderstood
  3. black and white politics
  4. time travel
  5. ressurections
  6. deaths....? why did I say this?!
  7. the clash with any other ideology that is not a selfless Xavier's dream
  8. systematic carelessness about once new and young characters to grow up and make their way to the big league or at least to their own
  9. oh yeas, Sentinels! those big, dumb robots that were created to be "threatening", now they only there to be blown up
  10. constant mentions of jean grey even when not needed
  11. no usage of most creative ways of utilizing powersets in battles

Sure I missed something.

#43 Posted by HAWK2916 (2512 posts) - - Show Bio

@adamtrmm: Well..... thats the end of the series.Nothing happening here good bye. lol

#44 Edited by adamTRMM (3324 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawk2916:

lol that just indicates how inert the ideas are always revolving around the same endless loop when so much more can be told - my feeling :] It's not that there's nothing else to tell the story about. Damn AvX for ending Gillen's run! He was aiming at the biggest leagues with his Extinction Team.

#45 Edited by devilsgrin81 (816 posts) - - Show Bio

@adamtrmm: so true... Extinction Team was the most amazing collection of mutants we've ever seen... and without any real argument... they could have blitzed the Avengers (except of course for Hulk (and maybe Thor) - though Red Hulk got his ass all but handed to him by Juggerlossus... so Hulk vs. Colossonaut would have been epic and much closer than Colossus vs. Hulk would be).

#46 Posted by adamTRMM (3324 posts) - - Show Bio

@devilsgrin81:

AvX battles were sooo disappointing Iron Man vs Magneto, Juggerlossus vs Rulk, Namor vs Thing - pretty much all of them were about X-men jobbing >_> Gillen's was far from perfect, but at least he tried to do something a bit else, I would be totally interested where would this overpowered (and constantly downplayed) team end if it wasn't for AvX.

#47 Edited by devilsgrin81 (816 posts) - - Show Bio

@adamtrmm said:

@devilsgrin81:

AvX battles were sooo disappointing Iron Man vs Magneto, Juggerlossus vs Rulk, Namor vs Thing - pretty much all of them were about X-men jobbing >_> Gillen's was far from perfect, but at least he tried to do something a bit else, I would be totally interested where would this overpowered (and constantly downplayed) team end if it wasn't for AvX.

the only AvX battle that was worth reading was Emma vs. Thor. She got to wipe the floor with a God. That was bad-ass.

An issue of What If...? perhaps?

#48 Posted by adamTRMM (3324 posts) - - Show Bio

@devilsgrin81:

P5 were one of the few good ideas of this event, I really liked how the most unexpected mutants became its hosts, especially Cyclops.

And if I understand you correctly, the "AvX: What if?" was really sh*tty and bland.

#49 Edited by Doctor_Malekith (59 posts) - - Show Bio

I've sure had enough of the Schism.

#50 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5225 posts) - - Show Bio

I've sure had enough of the Schism.

you mean Cyclops, Emma, and Magik having their own team? because that's basically all it amounts to at this point.