Avatar image for christianrapper
christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By christianrapper

I don't come to the X men board so I am sorry if this has been asked before. What was the use of freezing Logan just to bring in an older version of the same character? I don't get it. Why aren't the people who complain about diversity attacking this? Marvel is clearly trying to pander to the geriatric crowd.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Marvel made a lot of money off his death.

Old Man Logan is popular.

Geriatrics need representation too. It's not like every character has to be a photogenic young thing.

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@sprior93 answered this perfectly. Even though some people have been saying they should of just brought back wolverine.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anything of note to say about this has already been said, and if not everything that was said about the "O5" still applies here....

There's a legitimate argument about allowing real life social controversy to influence escapist fiction and if/how it should be done. That debate is rendered mute with strawman arguments like this that make both sides look bad.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

He's old and built like a body builder so I don't think the geriatric excuse really holds any traction here

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I don't cone to the X men board so I am sorry if this has been asked before. What was the use of freezing Logan just to bring in an older version of the character? I don't get it. Why aren't the people who complain about diversity attacking this? Marvel is clearly trying to pander to the geriatric crowd.

"well, I'm getting this from talking to a few different retailers, online and in person, but the way I've heard it described was that every time there was a new X-men book, Wolverine included, it would sell alright for a few issues and then drop off pretty drastically. Even back issues and trades (of X-men and/or Wolverine) weren't selling as well as Old Man Logan trade paperbacks."

It's like how, for some reason lots of X-fans really liked the X-Men: Evolution cartoon more than other adaptations, so they brought the X-men back from the past so they could be kids again.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's like how, for some reason lots of X-fans really liked the X-Men: Evolution cartoon more than other adaptations, so they brought the X-men back from the past so they could be kids again.

This is like finding out that i created my own greatest enemy....i don't like this feeling

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:
@oldnightcrawler said:

This is like finding out that i created my own greatest enemy....i don't like this feeling

No Caption Provided

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:
@oldnightcrawler said:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@oldnightcrawler: My local comicbook shop tried to tell me the same thing and I asked does anyone ever consider that it may be the writing and constant tie-ins to whatever current "event" as opposed to people buying the trades because they just want so much more Old Man Logan... Its kind of like, here's a thought... Old Man Logan was a self-contained story and not bogged down by tie-ins and different artist every issue and this and that. The writer was allowed to tell his story....Sssoooo maybe that is what appeals to people more- the style of story and the way its presented not necessarily that its an indication that everyone just wants Old Man Logan all over the place.

I think they killed off a character just to see if they could or whatever or just appease the writer they were putting on their new pet project "Inhumans" so that they could create some buzz.. You know " from the creator of Death of Wolverine or the man that killed Wolverine brings you his next great story... Inhumans". And then they wanted to bring Logan back but knew all the backlash or least talk would be about how cheap character death is and how everyone knew it wouldn't stick and all so they chose to give you what you thought you wanted but not really. Also they flat out know that people will accept it and just continue to shell out money so they relish pissing off some because all publicity is good publicity or at least that's the motto they go by.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@hawk2916 said:

@oldnightcrawler: My local comicbook shop tried to tell me the same thing and I asked does anyone ever consider that it may be the writing and constant tie-ins to whatever current "event" as opposed to people buying the trades because they just want so much more Old Man Logan... Its kind of like, here's a thought... Old Man Logan was a self-contained story and not bogged down by tie-ins and different artist every issue and this and that. The writer was allowed to tell his story....Sssoooo maybe that is what appeals to people more- the style of story and the way its presented not necessarily that its an indication that everyone just wants Old Man Logan all over the place.

I don't disagree that with what you're saying here... in fact, I do agree..

but the point I think is more that Wolverine and X-men haven't been selling as well, they've been on the decline for years -probably, yeah, for many of the reasons you're stating here- and Old Man Logan has been getting more and more popular. When any character stops selling, they generally go away for a while. In the case of the X-men, I think they've become so iconic that they want to keep them going, even though almost all of their characters have become less and less popular.

Right now Old Man Logan and Magneto are popular, so it seems like that's who they're hoping will turn the X-men around. If a few new teams with those characters is the entire extent of their plan, it probably won't help for long I guess, but it's not like it's a bad idea in and of itself to try.

@hawk2916 said:

I think they killed off a character just to see if they could or whatever or just appease the writer they were putting on their new pet project "Inhumans" so that they could create some buzz.. You know " from the creator of Death of Wolverine or the man that killed Wolverine brings you his next great story... Inhumans". And then they wanted to bring Logan back but knew all the backlash or least talk would be about how cheap character death is and how everyone knew it wouldn't stick and all so they chose to give you what you thought you wanted but not really. Also they flat out know that people will accept it and just continue to shell out money so they relish pissing off some because all publicity is good publicity or at least that's the motto they go by.

nah, they probably just killed him for some quick sensationalism on the way to replacing him with future him. I heard it was a good story though, anyway.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@oldnightcrawler: Aren't all comic sales down though compared to what they used to be? At least that's what most of the numbers tell me when I see them. Maybe your Spiderman or Batman may do well but team books seem to be like the music industry now where everyone is solo and its no more groups anymore lol. Seriously though I do think sales are down across the board in comics , hell newspapers etc. Having been somewhat in the paper production plus news and book/novel industry, I think at least some of the woes can be attributed to outdated methods of delivery and business models. I mean its almost like " oh this is popular so let's feature a bunch of this to make the quota for the next quarter" then they spend a bunch of money surveying what might catch on next and then splash page that gimmick....I don't know it just seems broken in some way and I highly doubt they can return to the glory days again unless something changes at a fundamental level

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@hawk2916 said:

@oldnightcrawler: Aren't all comic sales down though compared to what they used to be? At least that's what most of the numbers tell me when I see them. Maybe your Spiderman or Batman may do well but team books seem to be like the music industry now where everyone is solo and its no more groups anymore lol. Seriously though I do think sales are down across the board in comics , hell newspapers etc. Having been somewhat in the paper production plus news and book/novel industry, I think at least some of the woes can be attributed to outdated methods of delivery and business models. I mean its almost like " oh this is popular so let's feature a bunch of this to make the quota for the next quarter" then they spend a bunch of money surveying what might catch on next and then splash page that gimmick....I don't know it just seems broken in some way and I highly doubt they can return to the glory days again unless something changes at a fundamental level

you might be right, I dunno.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By McKlayn

Im actually liking old man logan, in my eyes its so much the same character there seems to be no real difference in core values and this is a simple enough way to recon all the silly that Jason Aaron did with the guy in Wolverine and the X men and put him back in a place that i enjoyed him much more, the older mentor who isnt afraid to slice and dice but still has morals and standards that he tries to teach on to the younger kids and make sure they dont have to do what he did basically but yea so im for OML

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i like oml hes less angry

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By McKlayn

i like oml hes less angry

did you read the comic lol, hes seemed pretty angry to me. Antisocial and plain rude, doesn't seem like a pleasant guy to me lol

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Immolation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Basically old man logan sold well. I don't really get it though, because it was his great story that sold, not the character himself. I don't dislike him. To me he is just another wolverine, just older.