• 73 results
Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Dman1366

So I just saw a preview of ANXM 33 and Iceman was controlling ice avatars. And with Jean being able to turn into God I was wondering, how do they have these power sets with such little training? I mean it took Iceman from his first appearance to WatX #1 to control his avatars, and Jean never could turn purple. And both those characters had way more training and adventures over their adolescent counterparts

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jean was exposed to the knowledge of what she'll become/what she can do plus she was pushed to the limits without her holding herself or profesor x holding herself back. same with iceman, iceman met his future and future counterparts, making him realize extent of his powers early

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By cattlebattle

I really don't understand anything I have read about the O5 coming to the future. Everything just feels so random. Iceman sings Run DMC, and at the same time, Scott is unfamiliar with bottled water when he was at a convenience store. Their sense of humor also seems to a tune to the wit and slang of modern day teenagers, which is weird because the 60s, where they are supposed to be from, were a radically different time. They would be more inclined to say things "golly" or call something "a gas".

They were also apparently pulled from a time before where they are still young teenagers. In continuity, Cyclops didn't really tell Jean how he feels about her, or did they start dating, until after they "graduated" from Xaviers.

Dat research, Bendis.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthphoenix: That doesn't really make sense. If I went to the future and found out that I was a brilliant mathematician, that doesn't mean that I will solve the "spin" problem with quantum computing in a couple of months. Or if I found out that I was a professional hockey player, then in two years I would guarantee that I would still get crushed if I stood on the ice.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares said:

@cattlebattle: Has Bendis ever been one for research?

Evidently his Daredevil run was pretty privy to what happened before he wrote the book.

Galerion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Galerion

Lets look at it positively Angel is still totally useless and Beast isn't much better either :D

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@galerion: hahahaha A+ for actually making lol

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I really don't understand anything I have read about the O5 coming to the future. Everything just feels so random. Iceman sings Run DMC, and at the same time, Scott is unfamiliar with bottled water when he was at a convenience store. Their sense of humor also seems to a tune to the wit and slang of modern day teenagers, which is weird because the 60s, where they are supposed to be from, were a radically different time. They would be more inclined to say things "golly" or call something "a gas".

that could be explained by the idea of marvel time, sort of. In marvel time, they aren't from the 60's, they're from 16 or 17 years ago, which was the late 90's.

That still wouldn't explain why Cyclops is surprised by bottled water, but it would make it so that they would have known cultural references up until that point. I do think that's something Bendis didn't consider when starting the book (hence Cyclops' early impressions in the book), but it does make more sense with how old the characters' current-day counterparts should be.

I mean, we don't think of the original team as being in their late 60's, right?

They were also apparently pulled from a time before where they are still young teenagers. In continuity, Cyclops didn't really tell Jean how he feels about her, or did they start dating, until after they "graduated" from Xaviers.

Dat research, Bendis.

yeah. Of course, he can totally get away with it since most people are more likely to have seen the X-Men movies, or X-Men: Evolution, or X-Men: The Animated Series, or even Ultimate X-Men(all of which depict Cyclops and Jean as high school sweethearts), than they are likely to have read many issues from the 60's.

So, yeah, it doesn't make sense in continuity, but continuity doesn't really serve it's function if you have to explain it to your audience, and his audience for that book is probably more likely to know any other version than the original.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: totally true, every word of it. I mean I may not like it, but continuity is just useless these days.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dman1366 said:

@oldnightcrawler: totally true, every word of it. I mean I may not like it, but continuity is just useless these days.

I still think continuity has it's place, personally. But the point of ANXM seems to be to reintroduce the characters for, again, another generation. If he's trying to make the characters accessible, it sort of makes sense that he would stick with what most people already know about the characters (ie: Cyclops and Jean are/were a couple), rather than getting bogged down in continuity details that most wouldn't know about anyway.

Long-time fans will see this for what it is: these are another version of the "original" X-men (like the Ultimate or animated versions), and not the Lee/Claremont versions of the characters that are still around now, but for most stories, that detail simply won't matter.

And, to be fair, why should it?

I haven't been following the book since before BotA, so I don't really care either way, I guess. But I have been really enjoying Cyclops' current series a lot, and if or how it fits into continuity has nothing to do with my appreciation for it as a great Cyclops story -regardless of which Cyclops it's actually supposed to be.

somacula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As I remember Bendis took then O5 straight from uncanny X men 8 (He didn't mentioned it tough), I checked that issue and effectively beast goes on an yell that he wants to quit just like un ANXM 1

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

that could be explained by the idea of marvel time, sort of. In marvel time, they aren't from the 60's, they're from 16 or 17 years ago, which was the late 90's.

Marvel time is ridiculous and has never made any sense. Its just an excuse to prevent any drastic changes.

So, yeah, it doesn't make sense in continuity, but continuity doesn't really serve it's function if you have to explain it to your audience, and his audience for that book is probably more likely to know any other version than the original.

Eh, I see your point but I think its Bendis probably not really giving a crap. I mean, if he isn't really caring about continuity and just giving us things that audiences who haven't read a bunch of the X-Mens history would be familiar with, why would he bring the O5 back in the first place, fans of all the series you have mentioned are more familiar with other characters. I think its one of those ideas just for ideas sake, I really don't think there was an end game.

I am not one of those people that hate Bendis or anything like that. I usually like hist stuff. I just think that the X-Men, because of their very complex history, laundry list of exciting characters, is just a hard franchise to get new readers into. The O5 thing was just "throwing sh*t at a wall" and a lot of it hardly makes any sense. To me anyways.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@oldnightcrawler said:

Marvel time is ridiculous and has never made any sense. Its just an excuse to prevent any drastic changes.

yeah, but that's what every long-running character franchise does. At least with Marvel it's been mostly consistent with it since the 80's, and without it, Spider-man, the Avengers, and the X-men would all be pushing 70. It still makes more sense to me than constantly rebooting continuity to achieve the same effect (else Superman and Batman would both be like 100) or just acting like time doesn't matter at all in a medium that's time-based.

Eh, I see your point but I think its Bendis probably not really giving a crap. I mean, if he isn't really caring about continuity and just giving us things that audiences who haven't read a bunch of the X-Mens history would be familiar with, why would he bring the O5 back in the first place, fans of all the series you have mentioned are more familiar with other characters. I think its one of those ideas just for ideas sake, I really don't think there was an end game.

I am not one of those people that hate Bendis or anything like that. I usually like hist stuff. I just think that the X-Men, because of their very complex history, laundry list of exciting characters, is just a hard franchise to get new readers into. The O5 thing was just "throwing sh*t at a wall" and a lot of it hardly makes any sense. To me anyways.

I don't disagree -at all- ..I just don't think that, objectively, it makes any less sense than anything else about X-men comics. It's all a suspension of disbelief, so whatever seems more or less contrived is really just a matter of personal taste. Which, for what it is, I think is fine.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Koays  Online

jean was exposed to the knowledge of what she'll become/what she can do plus she was pushed to the limits without her holding herself or profesor x holding herself back. same with iceman, iceman met his future and future counterparts, making him realize extent of his powers early

While probably the most accurate depiction of what's happening, it's still pretty shoddy. I mean with Jean she's supposedly got Phoenix level control over TK and Iceman is doing something his current counterpart just learned to do. I get the limitless potential idea of Omega's but come on....that's like saying they never have to work to control anything they just have to see someone else do it who looks like them and they can instantly achieve anything.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@darthphoenix said:

While probably the most accurate depiction of what's happening, it's still pretty shoddy. I mean with Jean she's supposedly got Phoenix level control over TK and Iceman is doing something his current counterpart just learned to do. I get the limitless potential idea of Omega's but come on....that's like saying they never have to work to control anything they just have to see someone else do it who looks like them and they can instantly achieve anything.

I just chalked it up to being the nature of how their powers actually worked. TBH a lot of the training they do has more to do with overcoming mental blocks than anything. Looked at it in a certain way, a telekinetic isn't really "weaker" when they first start training...they just don't know how to handle moving heavy objects or the most efficient way to handle their energy. It would be like someone being a natural at sprinting; they may have to learn better technique, but it would be easier for them to pick things up after seeing it than ordinary athletes. Just how I make sense of it.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Koays  Online

@koays said:

@darthphoenix said:

I just chalked it up to being the nature of how their powers actually worked. TBH a lot of the training they do has more to do with overcoming mental blocks than anything. Looked at it in a certain way, a telekinetic isn't really "weaker" when they first start training...they just don't know how to handle moving heavy objects or the most efficient way to handle their energy. It would be like someone being a natural at sprinting; they may have to learn better technique, but it would be easier for them to pick things up after seeing it than ordinary athletes. Just how I make sense of it.

That's probably the logic their trying to present. But to say that Teen Jean has a level of telekinesis on level with Jean Grey at her strongest without going through any of the strains she took to get there is bothersome. Her feat with the motorcycle pieces paints a picture of her as being short only in experience but nothing else. I mean its just hard to reconcile these characters as younger versions when by all accounts they are as strong as the originals....even kid Cyke matched optic blast with Cyclops when they first arrived. It just seems there should be a noticeable gap at least between them.

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phoenixofthetides: I think that is what is happening, but it still doesn't make sense. I am naturally skilled at math, as pretentious as that sounds, and I know for a fact that future me passed Advanced Calculus, but that still does not help the fact that I am struggling right now in that class.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

leave the o5 alone, i like them

somacula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The O5 are the best, a power upgrade for Jeen and snowman made sense.

I have no idea how is bendis going to power up Angel AKA useless man, maybe alien tech or hawkman mace and gauntlet

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TELEKENESIS - i think jean was able to do the motorbike thing because she has more confidence than what she was before. She knew what old jean can do and she has the raw power to all these. all she needed was the creativity and confidence and her raw power would come into play.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TELEKENESIS - i think jean was able to do the motorbike thing because she has more confidence than what she was before. She knew what old jean can do and she has the raw power to all these. all she needed was the creativity and confidence and her raw power would come into play.

awesome

@somacula said:

The O5 are the best, a power upgrade for Jeen and snowman made sense.

I have no idea how is bendis going to power up Angel AKA useless man, maybe alien tech or hawkman mace and gauntlet

lol maybe angel can create a whirlwind effect with his wings? sandstorm if dirt is around?

somacula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#25  Edited By Teerack

Ice Man has only learned how to control Ice avatars because he saw an alternate version of himself do it and then was told everyone sees him as the x-men with the most wasted potential, so he tried... the same thing would happen with younger iceman since he saw his older self do it. The same way Jean was able to unlock her telepathy earlier because she tried because she found out she could, which then lead her to discovering more powers... The X-Men and pretty much all characters with super powers in general can discover new powers, it's a pretty core comic book concept.

Hell Quintin Quire last year started to make psyonic energy constructs and his dialog is even just "I have been wondering if i could make solid objects out of psysic energy like Psylocke and Xavier..." and then he just makes some guns and is like "awesome!" he probably could have done that when he was 13 but didn't try doing it till years later.

It was like what 40 years of Spider-Man before Peter learned he could make thinks stick to any part of his body and not just his hands and feet? It's really just typical comic books.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somacula said:

@hopesummersforthefuture: Yeah! angel will become an airbender or just a less cool version of dust

IKR but what about beast how can he have a upgrade(he already has smarts and agility/)

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Teerack

@hopesummersforthefuture said:

@somacula said:

@hopesummersforthefuture: Yeah! angel will become an airbender or just a less cool version of dust

IKR but what about beast how can he have a upgrade(he already has smarts and agility/)

I would actually really like a retcon where the metal wing shifting wasn't part of Archangel and was just the full potential of Angel's natural mutation that Apocalypses unlocked before Angel had the thought to try turning his wings into metal.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

@somacula said:

I would actually really like a retcon where the metal wing shifting wasn't part of Arch Angel and was just the full potential of Angel's natural mutation that Apocalypses unlocked before Angel had the thought to try turning his wings into metal.

wasn't angel ancestors from real life angels? maybe explore that more.......and still what about beast

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Teerack

@teerack said:

@somacula said:

I would actually really like a retcon where the metal wing shifting wasn't part of Arch Angel and was just the full potential of Angel's natural mutation that Apocalypses unlocked before Angel had the thought to try turning his wings into metal.

wasn't angel ancestors from real life angels? maybe explore that more.......and still what about beast

Idk about that, but it sounds like someone I would rather not know anything about. Since Beast messed with his mutation they could honestly do anything with Beast. Like making him able to control animals or something, maybe even have him be able to turn into a blue beast forum and shift back life Wolfbane.

somacula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: Maybe being able to switch between normal and beast form or turn him into a cooler version fo beast boy; on the other hand angel next power upgrade is healing ,healing blood and AIDS inmunity. Now with cyke I don't know, maybe improve his swordfighting or give him omega beams

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Teerack

@somacula: I have wanted Cyclops to get Omega beams for a long time. I'm hoping that Scott will encounter something while out in space like maybe the same sorta tech that revived his dad from death, will be able to heal the brain damaged part of his brain so that he gets full control over his powers and can lose the visor.

Gizmorino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@hopesummersforthefuture: that means super strength, speed, and some durabilty and maybe god-like stats at prime level if you want them to bring abilities from the real angels....

somacula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: Seems like old cyclops will get some kind of aimer beams. For youg cyke he may find a fragment of the phoenix in space and I'd never like him to lose his visor or glasses even if he learns to control his power, because the glasses-visor define him, without them he's average brunet

Gizmorino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: i will also like to see cyclops beams have more destructive capacity and maybe heat vision too

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hopesummersforthefuture: that means super strength, speed, and some durabilty and maybe god-like stats at prime level if you want them to bring abilities from the real angels....

cool

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somacula said:

@teerack: Seems like old cyclops will get some kind of aimer beams. For youg cyke he may find a fragment of the phoenix in space and I'd never like him to lose his visor or glasses even if he learns to control his power, because the glasses-visor define him, without them he's average brunet

i hope they never change his hair color to blond like they did to starlord. soon every main superhero will be blond because its more appealing. Also spiderman as a blond, lol.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somacula said:

i hope they never change his hair color to blond like they did to starlord. soon every main superhero will be blond because its more appealing. Also spiderman as a blond, lol.

If he got control over his powers I always thought the best way to go about it was his eyes would glow red all the time unless he focused on making them look normal like Wonder Man and then just wore the glasses all the time cover them ups since it was easier then always focusing on your eyes. The visor I'm pretty sure also lets him focus and adjust his beam so it would make sense for him to have a vision in uniform still.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gizmorino: It would be pretty amazing if Cyclops' eyes were equal in destructive force to say Blackbolts scream.

somacula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: In the first class and 100th anniversary his eyes were effectively glowing red when he acquires full control over his powers, I really prefer the glasses as he can always brag about being the cool guy with shades and hopefully his optic blast will get a massive boost to desintegrate everything they touch and follow enemies

OMEGA BEAMS CYCLOPS I'd pay just to see that in the movies, red glowing eyes cyclops standing in the top of the building with a long coat like totall badass shooting beams that follow sentinels and destroy em on touch

Gizmorino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: hell yeah!!! A destructive capacity like that would be cool and respectable

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

@somacula said:

If he got control over his powers I always thought the best way to go about it was his eyes would glow red all the time unless he focused on making them look normal like Wonder Man and then just wore the glasses all the time cover them ups since it was easier then always focusing on your eyes. The visor I'm pretty sure also lets him focus and adjust his beam so it would make sense for him to have a vision in uniform still.

I think thats possible because in AvX scott had total control over his eye beams and his eyes looked normal. Also the professor told him that he didnt need to wear a visor anymore and scott said something like i learned to deal with the world in singular vision

Gizmorino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Teerack
HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

somacula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By somacula
HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somacula said:

@teerack said:

@somacula: @hopesummersforthefuture: @somacula: Red eyes also just make you look cooler when ever you get worked up over something.

No Caption Provided

Awesome pic and it makes the person look more scary/intimidating

No Caption Provided

I think Cyclops with red eyes can become iconic but i'd still miss the visor

he doesnt wear the visor anymore. he tried to wear them but it kept falling off due to his extra power charge/changes. Also i would miss the visor looks better then the x on his face......What does @god_spawn think?

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

@hopesummersforthefuture: Jean(O5) pulled off his visor it didn't fall off :P

No Caption Provided

it was a small page from anxm3 the page before this one

Oh yeah. Yeah I just looked it happened in the page before that one. I was only remembering when they first met the O5.