#1 Posted by beastly (30 posts) - - Show Bio

I miss the old days when there was a big bad mutant extremist who wanted mutants to rule(magneto). I really want to see a new mutant rise to this role. Obviously cyclops isnt fitting the role he's more of a renegade and mystique is just trying to line her pockets. Who do u think should be the new mutant extremist?

#2 Edited by Koays (1228 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol why did i think this was going to be about someone who was a really big fan of the New Mutants or a post about Sunspot going crazy in an avengers book.

but yea i've said it before though

Mach 2 from Ultimate Marvel, or a similar 616 character. A young Mutant who grew up in the age of Magneto who has been through the Decimation, Utopia and AvX and seen how the world CAN and WILL turn on mutants in the worst days and refuses to take it.

Though Marvel seems to be taking the X-men away from the "hates and fears us" part of the X-men in most books so its unlikely that we'll see many "mutant drama" storylines in the near future that an "Extremist" would need to be apart of.

#3 Posted by HammerTron (580 posts) - - Show Bio

Some good mutant extremists:

Magneto

Stryfe

Exodus

Apocalypse

Mr. Sinister

Haven

Emperyion

#4 Posted by cattlebattle (12579 posts) - - Show Bio

Mr. Sinister

Mr. Sinister is actually a normal human. He just has had all kinds of genetic modifications. I wouldn't call him much of an extremist either.

#5 Posted by adamTRMM (1301 posts) - - Show Bio

Exodus has to become what Magneto was during 90s, and Magneto has to be... well, Magneto.

#6 Edited by HAWK2916 (1590 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the idea of Mach 2 maybe making it to the 616 and being in this role.

Bishop might actually be a good candidate to fill this role. Could be interesting to see him go from trying to kill Hope to looking to redeem himself by going all mutant extremist. That said I really hate to do him like this since I wasnt a big fan of the way he was turned into Terminator with all the Hope/Messiah stuff. It might be an interesting development though to show where too much self-pity and zealot like attitude in the quest for redemption could lead.

I also thought of Elixir being in a role like this. Have him realize his full potential-possibly being able to alter DNA and repowering those mutants who are depowered creating a following and even going as far as to be able to turn baseline humans into mutants.

Of course Apocalypse, Stryfe and Exodus fit as well as maybe a female like Unuscione.

Empyrean would be interesting since he thrives off of pain. He may be just a character that likes to create chaos and rule in his own way whether its humans or mutants. Come to think of it Stryfe might fit that category as well.

Maybe bring back Monsoon(Haven's brother) and repower him- since someone mentioned Haven.

I could see Mr. Sinister fitting a chaotic type role with his own causes and not necessarily for mutants. Maybe one of his creations like Hans could fit this role.

Fabian Cortez could fit this easily.

I would like to see maybe Vulcan return in a role like this also.

Perhaps a long shot would be Ruby Summers. It might be interesting to bring her to the 616 and have this be her attitude, though I'd really hate to see yet another hero and Summers family member vilified.

#7 Posted by Koays (1228 posts) - - Show Bio

Also the Apocalypse Twins are exactly what your looking for...except you know, not fighting the X-men

#8 Posted by HAWK2916 (1590 posts) - - Show Bio

I forgot about the Apocalypse Twins but they do fit.

It might even be interesting to have a rogue Celestial come back and look to push mutant supremacy

#9 Posted by Koays (1228 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawk2916: Agreed. The Celestials create mutants to advance humankind and yet mutants can be seen as arguably losing the evolutionary battle, so the Celestials come to fix it...i like it.

#10 Edited by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (2767 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays said:

@hawk2916: Agreed. The Celestials create mutants to advance humankind and yet mutants can be seen as arguably losing the evolutionary battle, so the Celestials come to fix it...i like it.

the brotherhood from bota who are still in the present

#11 Posted by Koays (1228 posts) - - Show Bio

@hopesummersforthefuture: Them too, the most interesting thing about them too me was that in their back story they were responsible for the first mutant president. I'm curious about what else they were up too aside from time travel.

#12 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (2767 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays said:

@hopesummersforthefuture: Them too, the most interesting thing about them too me was that in their back story they were responsible for the first mutant president. I'm curious about what else they were up too aside from time travel.

me too. Also why was jean grey evil and joined them and not the good x-men. Also her power getting out of control. :)

#13 Posted by Koays (1228 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays said:

me too. Also why was jean grey evil and joined them and not the good x-men. Also her power getting out of control. :)

I think she and Beast both went bad because of the way Dazzler was attacked after winning the election, and it may have made them give up on humanity. Her powers though are a good question though that i hope is explained well, so its not just decided that "all Jean Greys die a 43 from being over powered"

#14 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (2767 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays: tomorrow is the debut of x-men: no more humans witth the brotherhood involved. Im getting it online at a bookstore so i can get it for cheap :)

#15 Posted by HAWK2916 (1590 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays: @hopesummersforthefuture: you all bring up some interesting points about the future brotherhood. I have tried my best to forget that terrible story and generally try to ignore that they are even around. That said Im a fan of Mike Carey so Im still up in the air with this. Guess it just goes back to my feelings about the whole O5 thing. Ive hated the concept of this being an ongoing from day one though I probably would feel a little differently if this had been just a story arc instead. Kind of like: Beast decides to try and go into the past to prevent all the tragedy from M-day to the Professor's death. But he goes too far and ends up in the past with the O5. They take him back to the present to prevent him dying but shortly after coming to the present the future brotherhood arrives to send them back. Theres a battle royale but at the end they are sent back to the past while the future brotherhood is loose in the present. By the way my future brotherhood probably would have been a bit different as far as characters or at least not as crazy looking. (probably would have kept Jean or either given the role to Hope, would have kept Molly, a regular Beast and regular Iceman, but most likely replaced blue Wolverine/Mystique and Xavier jr)

#16 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (2767 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawk2916:

i tell you in about a week if "no more humans" was good, when i get my copy. :)

#17 Posted by Koays (1228 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawk2916: Wow, as far as alternate storylines, that one is pretty dam enticing...combining the good from Battle of the Atom with Yesterday's X-Men. Honestly at the moment i gotta say that the Future Brotherhood's story is more interesting then the O5's to me. So i also wanna see what Carey delivers.

@hopesummersforthefuture: Your more patient then i am, if you'll wait a week....especially since it looks like it'll be a slow couple weeks till the movie.

#18 Posted by adamTRMM (1301 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays said:

What they need is to stop downplay Apocalypse and write him as, at least, planetary-level threat that he actually is, the motives of Celestials can be also revealed in this wonderful story btw :P

#19 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4253 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays: tomorrow is the debut of x-men: no more humans witth the brotherhood involved. Im getting it online at a bookstore so i can get it for cheap :)

is it? how come it isn't on Marvel's release schedule?

#20 Posted by Koays (1228 posts) - - Show Bio

@adamtrmm: My personal feel is that Apocalypse wasn't as big a deal as he should've been when he first debuted, and has been on a steady decline since Apocalypse the Twelve. Apocalypse getting his morning coffee should be a crossover worthy event.

@oldnightcrawler @hopesummersforthefuture - I cant find anything written about it after Febuary, but Amazon has it's release date set for wednesday May 7th.

#21 Edited by adamTRMM (1301 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays:

I really don't get why is he so watered down, I mean I get that they cannot make him use his whole potential as he's extremely overpowered, but just the surface of what his character or a story about him can bring us makes me excited. A mutant from the ancient times of one of the most symbolic mythologies, who has a history with gods, Eternals, demons, Inhumans, hell, even with Dracula. Just the interactions with these sides can be interesting, adding to this an already incredible background and the whole mythos of Apocalypse makes this, quoting you, a (massive) event :]

Hell, make a mini just about him and Selene, and I'm in.

#22 Edited by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (2767 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays said:

@adamtrmm: My personal feel is that Apocalypse wasn't as big a deal as he should've been when he first debuted, and has been on a steady decline since Apocalypse the Twelve. Apocalypse getting his morning coffee should be a crossover worthy event.

@oldnightcrawler @hopesummersforthefuture - I cant find anything written about it after Febuary, but Amazon has it's release date set for wednesday May 7th.

oh sorry its release date is today not yesterday and i already bought it. Now i have to wait 5 days :)

#23 Posted by Djainess (139 posts) - - Show Bio

@hopesummersforthefuture said:

is it? how come it isn't on Marvel's release schedule?

It is, but it's listed as 'new collection' on the schedule.

#24 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4253 posts) - - Show Bio

@djainess said:

It is, but it's listed as 'new collection' on the schedule.

that seems weird, since it's not collecting anything.. thanks, though..

#25 Posted by joshmightbe (24623 posts) - - Show Bio

@adamtrmm said:

@koays said:

What they need is to stop downplay Apocalypse and write him as, at least, planetary-level threat that he actually is, the motives of Celestials can be also revealed in this wonderful story btw :P

The motives of the Celestials don't need to be revealed, they've been pretty clear on what those where since they first showed up.

#26 Posted by Ms-Lola (1774 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a bit ticked with the Celestials. First they are all about mutants, now they are all about humans. I know all about Cyclops and how Jean made sure he remembered what happened, blah blah. Still, my "reverence" for lack of a better word for the Celestials has been knocked down a peg.

#27 Posted by Koays (1228 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Posted by joshmightbe (24623 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays: Basically to experiment on lesser species, they're pretty much just cosmic biologists. They already have all the power and influence they could ever need for any purpose, they don't need money and they don't seem to need sustenance so really what more could they need?

#29 Posted by Koays (1228 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays: Basically to experiment on lesser species, they're pretty much just cosmic biologists. They already have all the power and influence they could ever need for any purpose, they don't need money and they don't seem to need sustenance so really what more could they need?

Ah.....Still seems a bit overly simple considering the lengths characters go to in order to continue the process they started.

#30 Posted by adamTRMM (1301 posts) - - Show Bio

Basically to experiment on lesser species, they're pretty much just cosmic biologists. They already have all the power and influence they could ever need for any purpose, they don't need money and they don't seem to need sustenance so really what more could they need?

Again, why? Why would the be interested in experimenting on "biology" when they don't even need a biological body themselves, how does it fit and what is their real motivation?

#31 Posted by joshmightbe (24623 posts) - - Show Bio

@adamtrmm: Why do they need one? Does Uatu have any motivation for being a Watcher, or does TOAA have any great motivation for running the universe? Why would the Celestials up and decide on some arbitrary goal after billions of years?

#32 Posted by adamTRMM (1301 posts) - - Show Bio

Why do they need one? Does Uatu have any motivation for being a Watcher, or does TOAA have any great motivation for running the universe? Why would the Celestials up and decide on some arbitrary goal after billions of years?

TOAA is a representation of a writer, so he wants the (life)story to move on, Uatu knows the cost of interfering, but he can't help himself and understands that 616-Earth is the center of the cheapest drama to witness and never get bored with its infinite possibilities. What else would a bald old man look for?

Now Celestials... I have nothing to say 7_7

#33 Edited by joshmightbe (24623 posts) - - Show Bio

@adamtrmm: Maybe they just enjoy knowing they have the kind of power they do over what they consider lower species. They don't have any material needs and can do or have anything they want so maybe they're just bored.

#34 Posted by adamTRMM (1301 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe:

Enjoy? It was already revealed they lack personality to find this "joy", they serve a greater cause, again, why? More than this, what cosmic purpose is being achieved this way?

#35 Posted by joshmightbe (24623 posts) - - Show Bio

@adamtrmm: If there is a higher purpose I'd say you're way more likely to get an answer about it from Franklin Richards than any of the X-men since its been stated that he's basically a new God.

#36 Posted by adamTRMM (1301 posts) - - Show Bio

If there is a higher purpose I'd say you're way more likely to get an answer about it from Franklin Richards than any of the X-men since its been stated that he's basically a new God.

True, I would love to see the "next Galactus" scenario explored further!

#37 Edited by joshmightbe (24623 posts) - - Show Bio

@adamtrmm: If you think about it, that's your answer right there. The Celestials gave human's the potential for super powers, which is the reason the F4 got their powers instead of cancer, which in turn is the probable reason Franklin's x-gene triggered so early in life meaning technically they are responsible for creating a being capable of creating a universe and bending reality to his whim.

#38 Posted by adamTRMM (1301 posts) - - Show Bio

If you think about it, that's your answer right there. The Celestials gave human's the potential for super powers, which is the reason the F4 got their powers instead of cancer, which in turn is the probable reason Franklin's x-gene triggered so early in life meaning technically they are responsible for creating a being capable of creating a universe and bending reality to his whim.

It's all good, but why would they want to create new gods if they're themselves already ones? It's understandable why Sinister or High Evolutionary could be interested in something like this, but not why actual near-omnipotent race would look for it. And if they already succeeded, why isn't it developed further? A plot hole I'd say.

#39 Edited by joshmightbe (24623 posts) - - Show Bio

@adamtrmm: I'm of the belief that not everything needs to be explained. There has very rarely been any indication that they have any real plans beyond doing what they do and honestly there doesn't have to be. They don't think like humans do so there's a good chance that even if they explained their ultimate goal it'd be beyond human understanding so really I can think of no over arching, explainable goal they could have that wouldn't be totally cliche'. They can't be trying to rule the universe because they could have done that anytime they wished, probably not a power play because they have damn near infinite power already so what else could they possibly want?

#40 Posted by beastly (30 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought no more humans was pretty good. I miss the old classic x-men feel that I thought the book captured well. As for the candidates I LOVE the idea of Mach 2 but like someone said above this type of story is really becoming unpopular among the marvel editor it seems.

I would also like to the brotherhood from bota expanded and become a powerful x-men villain. I love seeing Xavier be the opposite of his grandfather. Maybe he would make a good new magneto?

#41 Posted by beastly (30 posts) - - Show Bio

also I think it would be interesting to have a weapon x experiment become a mutant extremist. Like an old one that hasn't been revealed yet, similar to weapon III maybe. Maybe whoever weapon XI is?

#42 Posted by HAWK2916 (1590 posts) - - Show Bio

@beastly: that would be cool. That story was always interesting to me

#43 Posted by HexThis (881 posts) - - Show Bio

I want to see Mystique reclaim that role, they've turned her into an evil-for-the-sake-of-being-evil type villain and it's really cheapening to the character. Like when she offered Azazel a job recently? Her whole partnership with that idiot runt Sabertooth? Her obsession with Wolverine? And don't even get me started on X-Corps! Funny how they retconned Magneto to be Xorn but didn't spare Mystique. It's gotten out of control, she used to be very politically-motivated and now she's just become a cartoonish villain.

#44 Posted by beastly (30 posts) - - Show Bio

Thats what im saying. They seem to reunion characters with potential. Mystique has at least four different reasons for being a villain depending on what book she appears in.

#45 Posted by HAWK2916 (1590 posts) - - Show Bio

I kind of want Mystique to join X-force but still have a bit of her own agenda. She is a great villain but it would be cool for her to work on an X-force team that aligns with her agendas while still doing her own thing

#46 Posted by adamTRMM (1301 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm of the belief that not everything needs to be explained. There has very rarely been any indication that they have any real plans beyond doing what they do and honestly there doesn't have to be. They don't think like humans do so there's a good chance that even if they explained their ultimate goal it'd be beyond human understanding so really I can think of no over arching, explainable goal they could have that wouldn't be totally cliche'. They can't be trying to rule the universe because they could have done that anytime they wished, probably not a power play because they have damn near infinite power already so what else could they possibly want?

I don't mind "beyond the human comprehension" stuff, the problem is they just look like the ants, that do what they do because they have to. Not likely for the cosmic deities, that to me, for now look like extremely overpowered insects acting mindlessly. There are lots of plot holes in Marvel Universe order, so I'm not expecting too much, but I'd like to see some interesting concepts to be revealed in a good cosmic story, why not?