#1 Posted by the_mighty_i (27 posts) - - Show Bio

I am new to X-Men comics I need a reading order of the modern age, but i dont mind going back if there is a comic which explains something (eg the origin stories)

#2 Edited by Dark_Guyver (2494 posts) - - Show Bio

http://www.comicvine.com/x-men/4060-3173/forums/jumping-into-x-men-1450899/#4

This talks about good comics to read for Xmen

#3 Posted by papad1992 (7015 posts) - - Show Bio

I am new to X-Men comics I need a reading order of the modern age, but i dont mind going back if there is a comic which explains something (eg the origin stories)

How far back you want to go!?

#5 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5059 posts) - - Show Bio

I would consider the contemporary age of X-men to have started with Morrison's new X-men, but if you don't want to go back that far, I'd suggest starting with Whedon and Cassaday's Astonishing X-men (2004). It's 25 issues/4 trades; it's a very good contemporary introduction to the characters, and features the team that would be in House of M (2005), which would be my next suggestion.

Following that, major stories would include:

• Messiah Complex
  • Messiah War
  • Second Coming
  • Schism

and Avengers vs. X-Men, which is the most recent game changing story. Although I'm sort of inclined to suggest reading the AvsX: Consequences mini series instead, because it's better written and explains most of the key events of AvsX, but I've been reviled for such advice before.

I would also recommend reading Wood's recent run on (adjective-less) X-men, though it probably isn't necessary. It's more about what Storm's team was doing just before AvsX.

Hope this helps!

#6 Posted by tomchu (533 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_mighty_i:

If you want the core reason why the X-Men are so popular, then pick up a couple of trades from the Claremont era, which is anything that ranges from #94 all the way to... #281 in Uncanny X-Men.

If you were a fan of the 90s Cartoon X-Men, then pick anything up from Uncanny X-Men #281 onwards and X-Men (Vol 2.) #1 onwards.

If you want a more modern idea of what the X-Men are like, then listen to the X-pert @oldnightcrawler: here.

#7 Edited by AgeofHurricane (7678 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_mighty_i said:

I would consider the contemporary age of X-men to have started with Morrison's new X-men, but if you don't want to go back that far, I'd suggest starting with Whedon and Cassaday's Astonishing X-men (2004). It's 25 issues/4 trades; it's a very good contemporary introduction to the characters, and features the team that would be in House of M (2005), which would be my next suggestion.

• Messiah Complex
  • Messiah War
  • Second Coming
  • Schism

and Avengers vs. X-Men, which is the most recent game changing story. Although I'm sort of inclined to suggest reading the AvsX: Consequences mini series instead, because it's better written and explains most of the key events of AvsX, but I've been reviled for such advice before.

I would also recommend reading Wood's recent run on (adjective-less) X-men, though it probably isn't necessary. It's more about what Storm's team was doing just before AvsX.

Hope this helps!

That. Most especially that.

#8 Posted by CTG (243 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_mighty_i said:

• Messiah Complex
  • Messiah War
  • Second Coming
  • Schism

Hope this helps!

Gonna be a bit nitpicky and disagree. AvX was such a polarizing event that just reading Consequences doesn't give you the entire picture. A lot of people have different interpretations as to what exactly happened in AvX - it was just written that way. So suggesting not reading it, is denying him/her the chance to decide for themselves. Call me crazy, but I feel like that's the best thing to come out of it - the debates.

#9 Posted by the_mighty_i (27 posts) - - Show Bio

i do want to stay as modern as possible but if i need to back a bit i don't mind. i would like to start of with an origin story arc though.

#10 Edited by oldnightcrawler (5059 posts) - - Show Bio

@ctg said:

@oldnightcrawler said: Although I'm sort of inclined to suggest reading the AvsX: Consequences mini series instead, because it's better written and explains most of the key events of AvsX, but I've been reviled for such advice before.

Gonna be a bit nitpicky and disagree. AvX was such a polarizing event that just reading Consequences doesn't give you the entire picture. A lot of people have different interpretations as to what exactly happened in AvX - it was just written that way. So suggesting not reading it, is denying him/her the chance to decide for themselves. Call me crazy, but I feel like that's the best thing to come out of it - the debates.

I knew someone was gonna call me on that. And you're right, and I agree with you, in theory; I just don't think it was very well done, and I hate to see people supporting such mediocre work just because it's "relevant".

But one can't judge that for themselves until they've actually read the thing. What a conundrum. Lemme put it this way then: read it for free if you can, if you think it's better than I do, go buy it. Or go buy another marvel book to make it up to them, I'm sure it won't hurt their feelings.

@the_mighty_i said:

i do want to stay as modern as possible but if i need to back a bit i don't mind. i would like to start of with an origin story arc though.

An origin story of the X-men? I'm not sure what would count as the most recent.. .. X-men First Class (the comic series)?

#11 Edited by CTG (243 posts) - - Show Bio

@ctg said:

@oldnightcrawler said: Although I'm sort of inclined to suggest reading the AvsX: Consequences mini series instead, because it's better written and explains most of the key events of AvsX, but I've been reviled for such advice before.

I knew someone was gonna call me on that. And you're right, and I agree with you, in theory; I just don't think it was very well done, and I hate to see people supporting such mediocre work just because it's "relevant".

But one can't judge that for themselves until they've actually read the thing. What a conundrum. Lemme put it this way then: read it for free if you can, if you think it's better than I do, go buy it. Or go buy another marvel book to make it up to them, I'm sure it won't hurt their feelings.

No argument there. I don't think it was particularly well written, but sadly it's necessary reading.

#12 Posted by HyeDaa (27 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, I just started reading X men comics last year. It's not that difficult to cope up with the story, well at least for me.(Especially if you've got tons of spare time and if you love reading, also because of forums)

I started with: (all are in-order)

Morrison's New Xmen

Joss Whedon's Astonishing X:Men

House of M

Uncanny Xmen issues 400 up to 500+

But if you really want to know better about xmen, then start at the really beginning. Uncanny Xmen by Stan Lee and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, Claremont's run! :)

#13 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5059 posts) - - Show Bio

@ctg said:

@oldnightcrawler said:

No argument there. I don't think it was particularly well written, but sadly it's necessary reading.

oh, I don't know that it's necessary. I think one could just start reading from the new Marvel Now series (All-new X-men and Uncanny X-men vol.3) and get the gist of what's going on; you'd just have the same perspective as the O5 (or Cyclops' new students, for that matter) have, which might actually be a more objective (or, at least, more interesting) way to experience the story.

Have any new (or recently returning) readers tried doing this? I'd be interested in hearing them weigh in on this..