Magneto, Year I: the crusade so far

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So it's been a year since Magneto's solo got its first issue published and I want to ask your opinions of Magneto's first year leading his own title.

Are you satisfied or disappointed?

Did you get exactly what you wanted to, or the story isn't doing it for you?

How about characterization and supporting cast, as well as the villains?

Or art and inner monologues?

(and many other questions I might've missed and then just post your own thoughts on the topic)

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm,

Well generally what I've enjoyed about the series the most has been the way inner monologues and flashbacks have been a big part of this series. It gives it a distinct feel even within comicbooks where monologues are king, because it gives the book a almost oldschool detective feel for his adventures which....lets face it...are generally about him walking around looking for stuff.

It also gives a lot of insight into his character in the past. More so then any other X-Character, Magneto has a history of just doing stuff, or having a complete character change off panel without any explanation. Here a lot of the flashbacks provide insight into events decisions and moments, while tying together this idea that even though he may change his tactics this is the same Magneto at heart. So when it comes to characterization it's hard to judge say it's bad or doesn't make sense when right before he does anything he basically says "This isn't the first time I've _________, But what i learned from the last time ________ was that sometimes you have to ________. So this time i think I will ______ instead/again."

Now when it comes to Supporting characters, I think it's hard to really say. Raleigh is cool, but doesn't do much. The Shield team is cool but doesn't do much. The Marauders are cool but REALLY don't do much. It's just not much to latch onto, but thats ok I guess because the series isn't supposed to be about them and is heavily driven by internal monologue. On the other hand i guess if you don't like the monologue you'd have a problem with the lack of supporting cast use.

All in All, my only real problems with the series is the "connected series of oneshots" style. While it avoids have multiple issue arcs that you jave to stay on top of, it also makes it ridiculously hard to remember whats going on, or get attached to the series because 4 or 5 issues will go by before the problem that was the entire focus of one issue will be a minor focus of another. On top of that it seems like the amount of time between issues inworld is increasing drastically. One week Magneto is freeing a bus of kids, the next there's like 100 mutants on Genosha looking for his protection. Maybe it's just me, but I like a little but of a tighter grip on my stories, I mean it's clear that the writer has made a stylistic choice, but I think theres a far more interesting story NOT being told between issues.

So while I am satisfied....this title is losing it's novelty because everything that was new and gritty about it has become formulaic and in some instances problematic.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By adamTRMM

@koays:

It also gives a lot of insight into his character in the past. More so then any other X-Character, Magneto has a history of just doing stuff, or having a complete character change off panel without any explanation. Here a lot of the flashbacks provide insight into events decisions and moments, while tying together this idea that even though he may change his tactics this is the same Magneto at heart. So when it comes to characterization it's hard to judge say it's bad or doesn't make sense when right before he does anything he basically says "This isn't the first time I've _________, But what i learned from the last time ________ was that sometimes you have to ________. So this time i think I will ______ instead/again."

I felt this as well, and the worst thing I can't decide if I like it or not. It kind of creates creative a dead end in terms of freedom for interpretation of who he really is, which is to me something I'd like to determine by my own. I mean, it's great that Bunn tries to make sense out of his rich history that, let's face it, is not so cohesive, but to underline Magneto's actual voice and personality given everything he's been through and how it works currently is an impossible job without breaking some continuity eggs I'd say, so each time he makes another mistake you know in continuity he shouldn't have had makes it hard to be believable. Actually, continuity crisis challenges Bunn did accept and I respect that very much, but to me even when the best ones, even the definitive ones are mentioned, it's those I'm least interested are being highlighted which also adds to my uncertainity towards the whole storytelling.

Now when it comes to Supporting characters, I think it's hard to really say. Raleigh is cool, but doesn't do much. The Shield team is cool but doesn't do much. The Marauders are cool but REALLY don't do much. It's just not much to latch onto, but thats ok I guess because the series isn't supposed to be about them and is heavily driven by internal monologue. On the other hand i guess if you don't like the monologue you'd have a problem with the lack of supporting cast use.

But would you say they are the right cast? I mean, as an X-reader, I'm pretty sure you have your own cast of character you'd like Magneto to "interact" in all kinds of ways. I mean, that's how it is for me. Of course it has everything to do with Claremont's Magneto and his special place with me, but hey he was always one of the most important parts within not just the X/mutant mythos, but MU in general.

As for the already selected cast, Raleigh is an absolutely gold concept, only problem she was created by an unnecessary addition to Magneto's already controversial past, "another unspecified rampage" to add to his past villainy just for the sake of it instead of using something from already written continuity like volcano in Varykino or global EMP from Fatal Attractions, which while were not unleashed to kill anyone for this purpose, sure as hell did in the end. His living and breathing casualty of war, not bland mass murder.

Marauders were unexpected and interesting concept as well, his remark of Sinister alone was worth it. Now will Bunn acknowledge another Claremont's contribution and highlight the hint of Sinister's part in Magneto's history?

As for the SHIELD squad, it's absolutely sloppy. I mean, this Magneto we're talking about, will SHIELD's squad really look like this if they wished to capture somebody who's proven too many times to be not just an ultimate death cheater, but its world friggin top renegade at so many points?

All in All, my only real problems with the series is the "connected series of oneshots" style. While it avoids have multiple issue arcs that you jave to stay on top of, it also makes it ridiculously hard to remember whats going on, or get attached to the series because 4 or 5 issues will go by before the problem that was the entire focus of one issue will be a minor focus of another. On top of that it seems like the amount of time between issues inworld is increasing drastically. One week Magneto is freeing a bus of kids, the next there's like 100 mutants on Genosha looking for his protection. Maybe it's just me, but I like a little but of a tighter grip on my stories, I mean it's clear that the writer has made a stylistic choice, but I think theres a far more interesting story NOT being told between issues.

Is that me, or this feeling comes heavily from Axis involvement and all in all Remender's terrible contributions to Magneto's history with Hitzig and well the whole Axis blame? It's like series stopped progressing since then. And Genosha rebuilding so rabidly without all kinds of relevant questions being raised and answered.

But I will absolutely highlight Bunn's ability to come out of this the very best way possible with the cards he had.

So while I am satisfied....this title is losing it's novelty because everything that was new and gritty about it has become formulaic and in some instances problematic.

Agreed. I will post my detailed review later, and I feel it's going to be very long haha

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's the only quality X-Men book at the moment.

Geforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Geforce

@sprior93 said:

It's the only quality X-Men book at the moment.

Agree and the really best out there.

Honestly, I love Magneto as a villain, but this role grew old on him. He's playing a significant role that I even like him more. Magneto a villain, a hero, a anti, and to me it looks more interesting when raising these questions. I believe deep inside, Magneto is an anti, if not, a hero. I don't really sees him as a villain anymore and despite he's about to die, I really rather him die as a hero. Saving the world and have Polaris carry his legacy. There I'm sure Polaris would be even more interesting and I can already hear many of your thoughts of criticism against her (except this time will be even more outrageous comments about her lol).

UHypocrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

So it's been a year since Magneto's solo got its first issue published and I want to ask your opinions of Magneto's first year leading his own title.

(and many other questions I might've missed and then just post your own thoughts on the topic)

For all of the above I have been satisfied. I don't know about other "people"

Avatar image for magnetowasalwaysright
MagnetoWasAlwaysRight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

For all of the above I have been satisfied. I don't know about other "people"

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This series has been more revolutionary than Bendis' Uncanny. Its is one of the best x-books out there and I feel it has more potential to expand than others do really. A more militant and revolutionary approach would fit a lot of the xmen's personalities and characters right now and so considering the past and how Magneto has a times taken over for Xavier, would be a natural progression for some to start to view things as he does.

In my opinion this is a book that could be built on easily.