Magneto must-reads?

vegtubl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By vegtubl

Recently, I have fallen for Magneto, and due to the impulse, I first made a point of purchasing the new graphic novel of his titled "Infamous." Turns out, as much as I'd love to get to know the man, I do not see him as one who would willingly scheme in a motel room (In other words, I did not enjoy the series).

Now, please, provide me with a few suggestions that both give the reader some background and portray him as he is to be portrayed - as a notorious mutant idol-terrorist.

UHypocrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are you kidding?

Let me guess. You didn't really enjoy the Magneto series because it's not about conquering the world, killing humans for fun, acting like a sadistic, maniac, evil, villain, terrorist guy like when he first started? I say this is the best book ever made in any solo series. Well, not all feel the same way, but you're the first and only one who seems to have a little problem with the book. I'll say if you think and don't like the series don't buy it. It's your lost because this book have been an amazing read.

Magneto is not a terrorist anymore......so get used to it. Many people miss him as the "idol-terrorist", but things changes and he's up to protect his kind and not conquering or killing the world. Plus he's not a villain he's an antihero. Those types of characters are more interesting than those who play hero or villain. But I will like to recommend you this book because it's the best out there so far. If you're seeking for some villain, terrorist, and conqueror.......you might want to seek for Apocalypse or Mr Sinister who happened to come back not too long ago. OR wait to see if Stryfe comes back with a new plan. But don't discredit Magneto ONLY because he's not the type of guy you want him to be, a "Terrorist" and I don't see what the problem here because he hasn't been one in a long long long time. I think it's time for people to get over it.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vegtubl: The stories where Magneto is a "mutant idol terrorist" are usually his worse ones, because there is a severe lack of humanization in his character in those. If you like that version of him I would suggest the X-Men films, which is a very good interpretation of him, or, the Ultimate Universe, where he is quite an unapologetic a-hole.

The best Magneto stories that come out of the regular continuity are ones that feature him as an anti hero or a reformed villain looking to right his wrongs. I would recommend these.... all great Magneto stories:

X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills

The X-Men vs. The Avengers

The Uncanny X-Men #200 - The Trial of Magneto

X-Men: Magneto Testament

The Uncanny X-Men #150 - I, Magneto

Classic X-Men #19 - Showdown!

Classic X-Men #12 - The Gentleman's Name is Magneto - A fire in the night

vegtubl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattleSometimes, I have quite the taste for "unapologetic a-hole," but I thank you for your suggestions nonetheless. Once I make my way over to some of these titles, I am sure I will have a better understanding of just the Magneto I should be seeing.

vegtubl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uhypocrite Take it easy; this post was not intended to be a personal insult, it is a simple difference in taste. Really, I don't have any idea where half of your response stemmed from, as I never claimed to have plans of ever "discrediting" Magneto, nor anything remotely along those lines.

I have yet to finish Infamous, and I will, and perhaps then my mind will be changed.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By adamTRMM

@vegtubl:

Read Eve of Destruction and Planet X (2004). It's as unapologetic as it gets.

Maybe, the worst of his stories yet.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Plus he's not a villain he's an antihero. Those types of characters are more interesting than those who play hero or villain.

Um anti hero's being more interesting is an opinion not a fact. If you mean by more interesting, you mean more people being interested then that's just a result of a society/fan base with low views of morality. Give me a, Superman, Spiderman, Batman, Thor, any day over a guy who doesn't have black and white convictions about morality.

UHypocrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By UHypocrite

@phisigmatau said:

@uhypocrite said:

Plus he's not a villain he's an antihero. Those types of characters are more interesting than those who play hero or villain.

Um anti hero's being more interesting is an opinion not a fact. If you mean by more interesting, you mean more people being interested then that's just a result of a society/fan base with low views of morality. Give me a, Superman, Spiderman, Batman, Thor, any day over a guy who doesn't have black and white convictions about morality.

I'll give you Mystique, Punisher (because a hero who kill is not a hero), Um should I say Cyclops? Yea, why not, Emma (since she's willing to join back with the FireHell Club), Blink (let's not forget Necrosha), Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye and many more who are or been in the black and white area. And how interesting are they especially Magneto. Those characters that you mentioned are all kiss ass.

Edit: Anti-hero is not an OPINION is a FACT. Same with Cyclops.

UHypocrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By UHypocrite

@vegtubl said:

@uhypocrite Take it easy; this post was not intended to be a personal insult, it is a simple difference in taste. Really, I don't have any idea where half of your response stemmed from, as I never claimed to have plans of ever "discrediting" Magneto, nor anything remotely along those lines.

I have yet to finish Infamous, and I will, and perhaps then my mind will be changed.

Nothing personal. Read House of m, Civil Wars, His testament, AvX, Nation-X, and maybe you might want to read children crusade. Just keep reading that I'm sure there are more.