Jim lees x men

pool_o_vision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Do I need to read anything before starting Jim lees x men?

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

#2  Edited By time1

Jim lee X-Men is best, read uncanny X-Men series with X-Men series from the 1980's. You shoulf read uncanny X-Men from the 1980's as well. You don't have to but its a great series too.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@pool_o_vision: Do you mean X-men #1, from 1991?

well, you'll miss the cool period between 1980-86, but it's an okay place to start; decent series.

If you mean the beginning of Jim Lee's stuff (in the late 80's on Uncanny X-men): I think it's kinda hard to get into if you haven't read from, say, the Mutant Massacre on.. and it's not a great period (and I don't think he even was the regular artist for most issues) but it's alright.

slimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i loved Jim Lee in the 90s. Of the superstar artists like McFarlane, Lee, (and gawd knows why) Liefeld, etc of that era, Jim Lee was easily my favorite.

However, looking back, all his characters look like they're on steroids. So while i have a lot of respect for Jim Lee, i think the times have passed him by.

thanks for the memories!

sinnsayy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sinnsayy

I think the question is ........do you want to read it ?

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with oldnightcrawler: you should read Claremont's Australian Era X-Men (Mutant Massacre, Fall of the Mutants and Siege Perilous) so you know which loose ends are being tied up. In retrospect, this era was average and the only thing elevating it is Lee's artwork.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I agree with oldnightcrawler: you should read Claremont's Australian Era X-Men (Mutant Massacre, Fall of the Mutants and Siege Perilous) so you know which loose ends are being tied up. In retrospect, this era was average and the only thing elevating it is Lee's artwork.

Agreed.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

whoa, whoa! to be clear, I don't recommend that period very highly.

Between the end of the Mutant Massacre and X-men '91, the only stories I would actually recommend would be the original Genosha story (Uncanny X-men #235-238), and maybe it's sequel, The X-tinction Agenda, or the Muir Island Saga, maybe.

I was just pointing out that it was during this period that Jim Lee got his start on X-men; doing fill-ins, I believe, until he became the regular artist on the aforementioned X-tinction Agenda (though I could be remembering those last details wrong).

X-men '91, on the other hand, is a great place to start.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cattlebattle

Jim Lee was only really fully in charge of the X-Men book for like a year.....before that he was the artist on the book for about two years. So you should just read some 80's stuff before jumping on.....

I think his run is a bit over rated. People just have nostalgic feelings toward it because of their popularity exploded during that time IMO.

TheGwailo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Between the end of the Mutant Massacre and X-men '91, the only stories I would actually recommend would be the original Genosha story (Uncanny X-men #235-238), and maybe it's sequel, The X-tinction Agenda, or the Muir Island Saga, maybe

This for sure. I liked the Genosha arc and X-tinction Agenda, and it's important to later continuity but that's about it at that point. X-Men '91 starts pretty soon after X-tinction Agenda. Maybe read some of the earlier X-Men stuff for a little history, but that's totally up to you.

PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler said:

@phoenixofthetides said:

whoa, whoa! to be clear, I don't recommend that period very highly.

Between the end of the Mutant Massacre and X-men '91, the only stories I would actually recommend would be the original Genosha story (Uncanny X-men #235-238), and maybe it's sequel, The X-tinction Agenda, or the Muir Island Saga, maybe.

I was just pointing out that it was during this period that Jim Lee got his start on X-men; doing fill-ins, I believe, until he became the regular artist on the aforementioned X-tinction Agenda (though I could be remembering those last details wrong).

X-men '91, on the other hand, is a great place to start.

Ah OK - Fair enough. I do think knowing about the Siege Perilous is helpful to know/how Psylocke switched bodies, why Storm was in a child's body and why the team was split up. When Jim Lee started, he had a few issues of running around Madripoor and a few other places before we got to the "Visionaries" era w/the rematch against Magneto.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By oldnightcrawler

Ah OK - Fair enough. I do think knowing about the Siege Perilous is helpful to know/how Psylocke switched bodies, why Storm was in a child's body and why the team was split up. When Jim Lee started, he had a few issues of running around Madripoor and a few other places before we got to the "Visionaries" era w/the rematch against Magneto.

ugh.. if I never have to think about the Siege Perilous again, it'll be too soon.

You make a good point that there are some random fun issues in there (like the Wolverine/Psylocke/Jubilee adventures), but very little of it has any relevance by the 91' era. And I don't think the stuff with Psylocke is actually really explained until '93 or '94 anyway.

PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: I don't think any of those issues were fun; too Wolverine and superhero action-centric. I loved the art, but I thought that era was a mess and it lead me to start reading the older series. Probably a result of me getting started reading adventure stories and not really having a high tolerance for superheros-in-spandex-with-guns&holsters-plus-shoulderpads-look!-ninjas!-style action.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: I don't think any of those issues were fun; too Wolverine and superhero action-centric. I loved the art, but I thought that era was a mess and it lead me to start reading the older series. Probably a result of me getting started reading adventure stories and not really having a high tolerance for superheros-in-spandex-with-guns&holsters-plus-shoulderpads-look!-ninjas!-style action.

that's why I qualified them as fun, rather than good.

Though, the best X-men comics are both.

PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phoenixofthetides said:

that's why I qualified them as fun, rather than good.

Though, the best X-men comics are both.

Heh