• 65 results
jhole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jhole

Having read his runs on Ghost rider, Wolverine, schism, Wolverine and the Xmen, and AvX, I fail to see why so many people rave about him. While I did enjoy his ghost rider stint, I found his wolverine work to be nothing special. Wolverine and the Xmen seems to consistently get great reviews however I can't stand it. Wolverine comes across as a declawed puppy angry that he's no longer king of the jungle, beast comes across as a pompous know it all, and iceman is written like a teenager. When wolverine and the Xmen debuted I was hoping for something similar to new mutants: academy X, featuring anole, rockslide, mercury etc, however instead they introduced a load of bland characters I could not give a @&£$ for. Schism and AvX have to be some of the worst stories I've ever read, both of which only served to elevate his favourite character (wolverine), who he constantly writes as always in right, at the cost of every other Xman. I just don't understand how he is considered to be one of the "marvel architects" above other writers. Whilst I havent read his scalped series so I can't comment on that, I really don't get why he's considered such a great writer. Anyone else feel the same?

jhole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jhole

Oh man I completely forgot about his incredible hulk. Easily the worst thing to happen to the hulk in the last 6 years. Greg Pak done such a brilliant job of bringing the hulk and banner persona's to some kind of understanding that truly showed growth with the character, then Aaron ruined it in a single issue. His motivations for Doom splitting them was terrible and I cant wait for Mark Waid to take over.

Rickbarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Rickbarry

You're not alone. I happen to think he's extremely overrated. I only picked up a couple issues of his Hulk run and it bored me to tears. W&TX lost it's novelty to me almost immediately as it's random storylines and god awful villians were background to his lame humor attempts. He's also a huge character slammer to prop up his favorites. Colossus and Cyclops have been hit hard with the crazy hammer so he can prop up Wolverine and Iceman.

His own X-men title (with wolverine in the title name) lost to Gillen. Check mate, beard! I can't wait for Frankenstein to show up in the upcoming issue arc...

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#6  Edited By x_29

He is a talented writer. I do not think he is overrated.

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Crash_Recovery

To each their own. I don't really understand the need for this thread, but enjoy guys.

I don't really have any opinion on this except to say that I've enjoyed Wolverine and the X-Men and I don't even like Wolverine as a character.

Avatar image for shamelesslysupportinaznballers
Shamelesslysupportinaznballers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoy everything he's done w/the exception of Hulk. The 1st few issues of Hulk was good but once Silvestri left the series apparently so did Aaron's storytelling.

Avatar image for josedriveratcr7
JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7

I like him, but I don't think WatXM is as good as it was in the beginning or as good as some people claim it is.

jhole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jhole

@Crash_Recovery: I'm not arguing that he's not a talented writer, I was mainly asking why people seem to think he's such a great writer and "marvel architect"? I struggle to think of any recent books of his that I've actually enjoyed. What did you particularly like about WATX, maybe I missed something?

aaunderoath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By aaunderoath

I honestly really like his writing but his OBVIOUS hatred for Cyclops is getting annoying. No one characterizes Cyke worse than Aaron. Besides that though I really enjoy his work on Incredible Hulk and Wolverine and the X-Men, but I see what you mean about how he writes certain characters especially Iceman since he's no longer 17.

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Crash_Recovery

"Marvel Architect" is a term that Marvel's been throwing around that's trickled out into the fan community. Marvel considers him an architect because he's been involved with some of their larger titles and is part of the summits where the plot out the future direction of the universe. We, as fans, have no bearing in whether someone's an architect.

WATX is Marvel's equivalent to Harry Potter. I have enjoyed the X-Men off and on through my comic reading experience, but, especially in the past few years, have pulled away from them as their continuity becomes so cluttered and convoluted that it's just alienating to anyone but the most hardcore of fans. WATX was a nice alternative for me. It sets off to its own side and, rather than being tied so intimately to the huge world changing storylines of the other books, focuses on the events of this school. There are characters ranging from A list to D list, new and old, and the joy is just seeing how they interact together. I understand that this isn't for everyone, but I've enjoyed it quite a bit. There's a good amount of humor, as well, which I really appreciate.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By AgeofHurricane

That's the thing with most fans of today, quite a profuse amount of people feel the need to legitimately like titles such as Wolverine and The X-Men and Gillen's Uncanny X-Men (which, imo, is given far too much praise than it deserves) when they've just as many faults as other 'bad' series and aren't even that worthwhile. It's just that it's a flagship title, so people, for some reason, will feel the need to praise it even when the writing's just above average, same goes for Bendis' Avengers.

I for one, do like the series as it features Oya and Broo. Like you, i so much with a passion wanted this to be a remake of Weir/Defillipis Academy X or Kyle + Yost's New X-Men, instead we got something else that isn't even a teen-book but a series that can't even find a solid direction. The writing's okay, to say the least, but there's nothing "wow" about the writing or the series as a whole. Completely failed in trying to be a school title when fan-favourites like Hellion and Mercury are struggling to get cameos and the attention's usually on bat-shite crazy pairings like Kitty x Iceman and Husk x Toad, like, what ? I'll go read Gage's current run on Legacy for my fair share of uninspired and ludicrous relationships, oh wait...

He has made quite the impression, but he's not on the hyperbolic worship that Gillen and Whedon receive.

And as for the "architect" title, i'm pretty sure Alonso just picked names from a black hat at random. Aaron hasn't done anything worthy for the title. If i wanted real architects, i'd go get Claremont from wherever he's rotting (:(), Morrison from DC, Alan Davis (the writer side, mainly because he did some terrific X-Work back in the day), Kurt Busiek and etc...

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By x_29

@TheAcidSkull said:

@x_29 said:

He is a talented writer. I do not think he is overrated.

sure he may be talented, and he can be a good writer when he wants to be , but he does what he want's with no respect for the characters

I disagree.

One_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By One_Eye

@AgeofHurricane said:

That's the thing with most fans of today, quite a profuse amount of people feel the need to legitimately like titles such as Wolverine and The X-Men and Gillen's Uncanny X-Men (which, imo, is given far too much praise than it deserves) when they've just as many faults as other 'bad' series and aren't even that worthwhile. It's just that it's a flagship title, so people, for some reason, will feel the need to praise it even when the writing's just above average, same goes for Bendis' Avengers.

I for one, do like the series as it features Oya and Broo. Like you, i so much with a passion wanted this to be a remake of Weir/Defillipis Academy X or Kyle + Yost's New X-Men, instead we got something else that isn't even a teen-book but a series that can't even find a solid direction. The writing's okay, to say the least, but there's nothing "wow" about the writing or the series as a whole. Completely failed in trying to be a school title when fan-favourites like Hellion and Mercury are struggling to get cameos and the attention's usually on bat-shite crazy pairings like Kitty x Iceman and Husk x Toad, like, what ? I'll go read Gage's current run on Legacy for my fair share of uninspired and ludicrous relationships, oh wait...

He has made quite the impression, but he's not on the hyperbolic worship that Gillen and Whedon receive.

And as for the "architect" title, i'm pretty sure Alonso just picked names from a black hat at random. Aaron hasn't done anything worthy for the title. If i wanted real architects, i'd go get Claremont from wherever he's rotting (:(), Morrison from DC, Alan Davis (the writer side, mainly because he did some terrific X-Work back in the day), Kurt Busiek and etc...

@aaunderoath: @JoseDRiveraTCR7: @Rickbarry: @TheAcidSkull: My problem with WatXM is that the book has no direction and no weight to it. It feels as though, there's no real build-up to anything, no Big Bads other than the new Hell Fire Club, subpar humor, and that because of the lack of consequences, we aren't going to see any of the characters such Wolverine, Beast, and company face anything that will have any real bearing on their characters.

I can get over his obvious issues against Cyclops,however, it seems that the only character that he knows how to write is Wolverine. I see nothing noteworthy about WatXM causes me to want to go out and actually dump money into the title.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@One_Eye: Yeah, it's like he tried to go there with classic Claremont soap-opera'ness, but went in the opposite direction and failed.

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#19  Edited By lorex

I like Jason Aaron's work and but I think he has a bit of a man crush with Wolverine. I know he is just doing his job but over the last few years he and others has advanced the transition of Wolverine from the runt loaner we are mostly farmilar with into the 'Hugh Jackman' version of Wolverine. Not all the changes are bad but in the past Wolverine was tha character that would go off on his own for a while. He still does this cause Marvel doesnt care about continuity but it does not feel natural like it did in the past given the changed Wolverine has undergone inthe last 5+ years. Now Wolverine is a resopnsible leader, a member of the Avengers, runnig the modern day version Xaviers. Again honesty compels me to say I think Aaron is a fine writer but I do not like Wolverines transition into responsibility. Not that he was not responsible before but now that he is one of the authority figures in the Marvel universe I feel that the character is getting further and further from what made him great. As for Wolverine and the X-Men, I like the book but I think it was totally derailed by the Avengers vs X-Men crossover and I hope it can get back to stories that only involve the school. Also I would like to see more of the other students. I like Quentin and Idie but would like to see more of the other studends there, not to mention the other kids fom Utopia now at the school and other new mutants that will likely popping up in the future.

sgu823

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By sgu823

The Mongrels. Do I need to say anymore? Seriously, what kind of dumbass would introduce 5 mercenary as Wolverine's children and have him KILL THEM ALL OFF? Atleast Daken has a semi-good backstory, excluding the whole Romulus shit. Atleast Daken has a cool power set and interesting personality. Atleast Daken has good motivation for the things that he does and has the potential to be a great character. But fucking Mongrels? Give me a break...

From now on, let Remender do all Wolverine related stuff. He's a far better writer. Hell, I'd even settle for Loeb over friggin Jason Aaron.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By John Valentine

Yes, yes he us.

One_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By One_Eye

@SGU823 said:

The Mongrels. Do I need to say anymore? Seriously, what kind of dumbass would introduce 5 mercenary as Wolverine's children and have him KILL THEM ALL OFF? Atleast Daken has a semi-good backstory, excluding the whole Romulus shit. Atleast Daken has a cool power set and interesting personality. Atleast Daken has good motivation for the things that he does and has the potential to be a great character. But fucking Mongrels? Give me a break...

From now on, let Remender do all Wolverine related stuff. He's a far better writer. Hell, I'd even settle for Loeb over friggin Jason Aaron.

WHoa...Loeb over Aaron, eh? Didn't figure than was that bad, however, I under stand completely. I just remember that whenever Aaron writes Wolverine the man is clearly writing Hugh Jackman. :p

madrid_san

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By madrid_san

His Kitty Pryde comes off as PMSing rhymes with witch.

Beast thinks out loud too much in the series (does he need to mention his sentient coffee maker trying to kill him on panel?)

I am annoyed by Broo, Idie, Warbird (very generic, slutty character. WAY too sexual)

Disappointed with the very tiny and useless roles that long-time students are given. (Hellion, Anole, Rockslide etc)

Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
deactivated-5791595859013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would not call him a bad writer, I just find his tone on WatXM completely annoying. With his need for constant humor he should be writing Deadpool, not turning an X-book into a joke title. IMO it's a case of a writer working on a title not suited to his style.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#25  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

Yeah. He is a decent writer, but he is nothing spectacular. People overrate Wolverine and the XMen book too much.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#26  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

I just got done reading WaTXM 19-21 and I feel like I want to puke. These Hellfire kids just can't be taken seriously.

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By WARLOCK2792

@god_spawn said:

I just got done reading WaTXM 19-21 and I feel like I want to puke. These Hellfire kids just can't be taken seriously.

They......are......TERRIBLE

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@White Mage: They need an actual villain(s). Not random villains and one story arc with a 2 issue intermission and blah blah blah. Anything is better than those kids and what makes it worse is there is Storm, Iceman, Beast, Wolverine and Rachel + all the students all getting screwed over by 12 year olds. I can't take 3 omega telepaths getting their butts dooped by a bunch prepubescent brats. Here is a few ideas. Have Namor attack the school or have Warbird go on a libido filled rampage through town instead.

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By WARLOCK2792

@god_spawn said:

@White Mage: They need an actual villain(s). Not random villains and one story arc with a 2 issue intermission and blah blah blah. Anything is better than those kids and what makes it worse is there is Storm, Iceman, Beast, Wolverine and Rachel + all the students all getting screwed over by 12 year olds. I can't take 3 omega telepaths getting their butts dooped by a bunch prepubescent brats. Here is an idea. Have Warbird go on a libido filled rampage through town instead.

THANK YOU!! Out of nowhere, some random practitioner of the winding way is gathering adult souls, while hunting a "Frankenstein" child, and having the entire adult X-Men cast in a spell of some sort? This sounds like a Disney tv-made movie.

Random: I was very pissed off when that samurai dude started making all of those fish attraction/sushi jokes..........this book is a trip through randomville, and the tour guide is more interested in the site seeing than the people on the damn bus. Not cool.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@White Mage:

The book just needs a focus again and it can be good. I liked the earlier issues and some of the AvX tie ins (cause they had a focus), but this book is going and has been going down the drain too fast. And Aaron is a good writer. I generally like his Wolverine and I loved his Thor's first issue. Too bad now WaTXM is probably gonna end up worse than his Hulk run at this rate.

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By WARLOCK2792

@god_spawn said:

@White Mage:

The book just needs a focus again and it can be good. I liked the earlier issues and some of the AvX tie ins (cause they had a focus), but this book is going and has been going down the drain too fast. And Aaron is a good writer. I generally like his Wolverine and I loved his Thor's first issue. Too bad now WaTXM is probably gonna end up worse than his Hulk run at this rate.

Maybe he'll spontaneously come up with something really major? I don't see these enemies lasting for much longer anyways

And I agree that this book needs a focus, as well as a mature "umph".

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

Might not have too much to do with Jason Aaron's writing, but I always believed that X-Men worked best when it tried to combine both humor and drama into one series.  I guess that's why I really enjoyed Chris Claremont's and Joss Whedon's runs on X-Men since they combined both humor and drama into the series.  To me, if the X-Men has way too much humor in its story, it can come off as being too kooky for the story or if they have too much drama in the story, it can come off as being too boring or frustrating for the fans.

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By x_29

Is he overrated? Kinda i guess, but i still find him to be a solid writer.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

#34  Edited By time1

I think he is overrated too, but I think there are a lot writers that are overrated too. Grant Morrison and Joss Whedon are two most overrated writers.

Avatar image for death_certificate
Death Certificate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@time said:

I think he is overrated too, but I think there are a lot writers that are overrated too. Grant Morrison and Joss Whedon are two most overrated writers.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By time1

@Death Certificate said:

@time said:

I have better taste. Joss Whedon only told 4 stories and only two them were actually good and Morrison only portray Emma Frost really well and had not understanding of Cyclops and Jean Grey marriage at all and they way he killed of Jean was digusting.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By Billy Batson

Y'all should read hisScalpedif you actually want to read something good.
BB

Avatar image for death_certificate
Death Certificate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@time said:

@Death Certificate said:

@time said:

I have better taste. Joss Whedon only told 4 stories and only two them were actually good and Morrison only portray Emma Frost really well and had not understanding of Cyclops and Jean Grey marriage at all and they way he killed of Jean was digusting.

And the guy who made Schism is any better?

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By time1

@Death Certificate said:

@time said:

@Death Certificate said:

@time said:

of course not, but doesn't change the fact that Morrison and whedon are over-rated. Most people talk about how great they are, when there not great, some of there ideas and developement was pretty lame.

Avatar image for markus_langbourn
Markus_Langbourn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Markus_Langbourn

Anyone who thinks he's a good writer is, quite frankly, a simpleton. 

Markus_Langbourn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Markus_Langbourn
@time said:

@Death Certificate said:

@time said:

@Death Certificate said:

@time said:

of course not, but doesn't change the fact that Morrison and whedon are over-rated. Most people talk about how great they are, when there not great, some of there ideas and developement was pretty lame.

Morrison is brilliant, you condemning him is further testament to how good he is, since you have notoriously awful taste.
Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Dman1366

@Markus_Langbourn said:

condemning people who have a different opinion then yourself as a "simpleton" ( the real word is "layman" ) comes off as arrogant and immature. I happen to love Aaron's soap-opera writing. If you look at the first series of Excalibur, by Claremont, then you will see a lot of similarities in sporadic writing, sexual innuendo, and favoured characters. It does not mean I am a layman, it means I have a more refined pallet. If it really is that big of a problem for you, do not buy the book.

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Dman1366

@time said:

@Death Certificate said:

@time said:

@Death Certificate said:

@time said:

Even though I loved Whedon's, and most of Morrison's run, I would have to agree with this. If you remember the giant, flying dildo that Kitty had to deviate, lame. And to all who complains about Jason turning characters into teenagers, that is all that Whedon and Morrison did. All three writers simple mimic Claremont; sex, violence, relationships, drama, and angst.

Markus_Langbourn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Markus_Langbourn
@Dman1366 said:

@Markus_Langbourn said:

condemning people who have a different opinion then yourself as a "simpleton" ( the real word is "layman" ) comes off as arrogant and immature. I happen to love Aaron's soap-opera writing. If you look at the first series of Excalibur, by Claremont, then you will see a lot of similarities in sporadic writing, sexual innuendo, and favoured characters. It does not mean I am a layman, it means I have a more refined pallet. If it really is that big of a problem for you, do not buy the book.

Oh yes, that's definitely the case. The same way those who only watch Judd Apatow movies have a more refined palate  (the real word is "palate").  

And stop riding Claremont, he was a terribly overrated egotist and to compare him to Morrison is just pathetic.
AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@Dman1366 said:

@time said:

@Death Certificate said:

@time said:

@Death Certificate said:

@time said:

Even though I loved Whedon's, and most of Morrison's run, I would have to agree with this. If you remember the giant, flying dildo that Kitty had to deviate, lame. And to all who complains about Jason turning characters into teenagers, that is all that Whedon and Morrison did. All three writers simple mimic Claremont; sex, violence, relationships, drama, and angst.

Nobody really--if ever, complains about that aspect of his run though. It's that whomever Aaron's trying to mimic and be the proponent of, he's not doing it well and is falling flat on his face.

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Dman1366

@Markus_Langbourn said:

@Dman1366 said:

@Markus_Langbourn said:

Oh yes, that's definitely the case. The same way those who only watch Judd Apatow movies have a more refined palate (the real word is "palate"). And stop riding Claremont, he was a terribly overrated egotist and to compare him to Morrison is just pathetic.

I forgot that Claremont made little to no contributions the mutant story lines, oh wait... What characters did he create? What canon did he start? Comparing any "X" writer to Claremont is pale in comparison. Yes he is a curmudgeon and is very egotistical, but that comes with reason. As stated previously, if you don't like a writer so be it, do not buy his books; there is no reason to throw a temper-tantrum because someone thinks differently, and that is definitely not a basis to insult the person. On a side note, I am not disagreeing that Morrison and Whedon are better than Aaron.

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Dman1366

@AgeofHurricane: I agree that lately his issues are lacking. I agree that he should think of better story arcs for his characters, but I still enjoy his work. I enjoy that he focuses on more characters than Bobby, Kitty, or Logan. I am also loving his Thor run so far. I hate being the devil's advocate on this hahaha; Normally I always agree with you, John, or Rickberry.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@Dman1366 said:

@AgeofHurricane: I agree that lately his issues are lacking. I agree that he should think of better story arcs for his characters, but I still enjoy his work. I enjoy that he focuses on more characters than Bobby, Kitty, or Logan. I am also loving his Thor run so far. I hate being the devil's advocate on this hahaha; Normally I always agree with you, John, or Rickberry.

That's perfectly fine. At the end of the day, to each his own.

Not to digress, but have you been reading All New X-Men ?

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Dman1366

@AgeofHurricane said:

@Dman1366 said:

That's perfectly fine. At the end of the day, to each his own.

Not to digress, but have you been reading All New X-Men ?

I have. I hate to admit that I actually like it, besides the whole Jean knocking out Logan hahaha. I was pushing a boycott on Bendis writing ANY X-Men books, but he is actually not doing too bad. It reminds me of his USM (1st Series) run. What do you think of it?

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#50  Edited By zombietag

nope