Is there anything in X-MEN canon you wan't retconned?

william300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I hate retcons, and I think most comic fans do. But sometimes there are things in canon that are just bad for the character/team's history or are so contradictory to the rest of the canon that it needs to go. Is there anything in the X-MEN canon that you wan't retconned?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Most of the past three years.

All of Chuck Austen's run.

Namasthetu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are parts I think they should conveniently forget as opposed to openly retconning things.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Koays  Online

Just AvX.....It would solve alot of problems.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dam...................... where do I start.....................

william300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: yea. that should have never happened, or at least not the way it happened. It was just like Civil War with everyone being written out of character just for the sake of a conflict. Hero vs Hero stories shouldn't be big events.

william300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By william300

I think Selene's origin should be retconned. I never liked the idea of her being super ancient, not to mention it's kind of contradictory sense we got multiple stories sense that state that Apocalypse was the first mutant. So I say just officially get rid of it. Have it to where she grew up in Victorian England and was a child hood friend of Mr. Sinister.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

House of M

AVSX

All New X-Men

Star-Lord and Kitty Pryde being couple

Maybe Wolverine being a X-Men member

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Ahhh! You beat me to it with this thread. There are a few things I would retcon. All of Bendis run in Uncanny along with the O5 and the Kitty Starlord relationship and Iceman being gay. I'd retcon Schism, AVX and House of M as well as some of Grant Morrison's run - the Fantomex stuff and Xorn. Austen's run too.

Besides that there are other stories I would tweek or change around. Like with Hope Summers. The Jean Grey-Phoenix retcon whatever. Cassandra Nova origin. Cable and Rachel Greys origins. Monet and Psylockes origins and developments. I'd even tweek the Krakoa story in which we got Wolverine, Storm, Nightcrawler and Colossus. I think I would retcon things about Wolverines origin also or at least make it so it was still unrevealed or a mystery to him. There are few deaths I'd change too.

Namasthetu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitalius said:

House of M

AVSX

All New X-Men

Star-Lord and Kitty Pryde being couple

Maybe Wolverine being a X-Men member

At all? That removes a crap ton of the character during some of his best personal stories. It also means you remove Onslaught since Wolverine's near death at the hands of Magneto triggers it. If you remove Onslaught you also get a lot of weird retcons. He's kind of a major part of X-history, it's like removing Cyclops or Jean or Storm. This is why I say simply "forgetting" certain aspects of the history is better than direct retcons (where you offer different explanations of events or things). Of course it's possible to say it's time for a full Marvel reboot. They managed to last a long time without it unlike DC, but at this point character ages make no sense a lot of the time (even by comic standards) and with the MCU working out it may be best to build on it. That or they should just retire a lot of characters (not at once of course).

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#11 SC  Moderator

Oh I am so behind on X-Men, maybe some of these things may already have been retconned, Wishful think, also some might be a bit iffy.

Nightcrawler's father being Azazel. To me this was like saying Iceman's father was actually a snowman, or a mutant that resembled a snowman, more interesting if Kurt's father was actually normal looking human. Magneto's helmet protecting him from telepathy, it wasn't that originally, originally he just had natural resistance that was enough to counter Charles powers, and therefore Xavier had an excuse of sorts, given his powers as to why a better resolution never occurred sooner. Husk/Angel… ah okay lots of Chuck Austen stuff, basically like other users are saying. Xavier being a jerk as well, with the Vulcan stuff, eh. I think they went too edgy with those developments so I would rather see it reeled back, modified. Rogue and Sentry stuff. Sentry teaching Angel to fly. Magneto, Rogue stuff too actually. Half of the Rogue and Gambit stuff, not all of it, they were sweet at the beginning but a lot of there drama was bad for both characters, in my opinion. Hmm what else, great thread hah hah, very therapeutic.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@koays said:

Just AvX.....It would solve alot of problems.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Honestly there is so much I don't even know where to begin.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

BaBaBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X-23 solo #19 because I'm a Helix fan.

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Making Magneto the twins' dad again. Would this count as an X-Men retcon since they retconned it in an Avengers comic?

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Avengers vs X-men and everything that happened after.

Return Scarlet witch and Quicksilver as Magnetos kids

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

im probably alone i this but scott's affair with emma and it all went down from there....... #savescottandjean

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do people realize that by retconning the one or several things that they have a distaste for you would be creating 30 more retcons in its wake??

Stop being so selfish, X-Men fans. ;)

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: Its just hypothetical. We all know it won't happen. But seriously there's nothing that you wouldn't want gone. You really like or feel like every development has been a great one?

I agree with just forgetting most things but really some things would be a benefit to just change

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty much 90% of everything after House of M.

Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch no longer being Magneto's kids.

Pretty much all of Jean Grey's childhood (trauma from being telepathically linked to her friend when she died) and most of her deaths.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want everyone to be retconned as gay.

No Caption Provided

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By cattlebattle

@hawk2916 said:

@cattlebattle: Its just hypothetical. We all know it won't happen.

I know, I was being facetious. I just find it interesting that the OP claimed to hate retcons than later cited what he would like changed, which was something that wasn't even all that convoluted, which would just create more pointless retcons itself.

@hawk2916 said:

But seriously there's nothing that you wouldn't want gone. You really like or feel like every development has been a great one?

Holy sh*t, I could write a long form novel about all the things I would have liked to have happened differently.....pretty much everything that happened to the X-Men since 1990,lol.

BaBaBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93 said:

No Caption Provided

As long as the X-Women get to be retconned as lesbians...

...though, I think they already are.
...though, I think they already are.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bababoom: Hell, yeah. It was also spare us from all the stupid X-babies(Cable, Rachel, Daken etc.)

william300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By william300

@sc: Nightcrawler looking like his father makes perfect sense. Children always take physical elements of both parents, he got the looks of his father but his mother's skin and eye color. Iceman's powers are completely different, there elemental abilities that are turned off an on.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@sprior93 said:

No Caption Provided

That's just ridiculous. Wolverine should obviously be bi and not gay.

william300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd retcon Nightcrawler's father Azazel (it's still ambiguous whether or not he was a demon or just a mutant). He'd be like his film version, a member of Magneto's original brotherhood, he'd have met Mystique there and the two would have started a relationship, he'd have been killed when he and Mystique were attacked by anti-mutant mercenaries while in Germany, Mystique lives but loses Kurt in a river (unknown to her he's survives and is raised by the owner of a travelling circus).The death of her lover and the loss of her child pushes her to become the cold hearted assassin she's known as.

BaBaBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BaBaBoom

@stahlflamme: In this retcon everyone is straight up GAY! This way, Scott and Logan can finally confess their hidden love for each other without the interference of a certain over-rated red head.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@william300: That would be an awesome origin story.I like that better than anything they've tried to do with Nightcrawlee , Azazel and Mystique

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@bababoom said:

@stahlflamme: In this retcon everyone is straight up GAY! This way, Scott and Logan can finally confess their hidden love for each other without the interference of a certain over-rated red head.

Everyone knows Logan only wants to sleep with Jean to have indirect sex with Cyclops, he even tried to stick it into Cyclops multiple times on panel and Scotts behavior to replace Jean with a similiar woman makes it pretty clear he only needs them as his beard. Fact remains however that a gay Logan makes absolutely no sense and he should obviously be bisexual character.

Namasthetu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitalius:

I thought I listed a lot of good reasons. Wolvie's been an X-man since 1975. He's one of the most major identifiable X-Men for two to three generations of comic fans. More importantly he either drives a lot of X-Men story lines or plays a huge role in them. He is a major foil to Cyclops for many years and acts (ironically) as both the voice of reason at times and the instrument of vengeance. He's a mentor to many X-Men and friend to others. You just lose too much X-history without him.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SC  Moderator

@william300 said:

@sc: Nightcrawler looking like his father makes perfect sense. Children always take physical elements of both parents, he got the looks of his father but his mother's skin and eye color. Iceman's powers are completely different, there elemental abilities that are turned off an on.

Thats fine if thats how you feel To me, For real life humans it does make sense, in fiction, for mutations that have offspring deviate off into having powers, some that are extreme enough to warrant fear, shock, unease with their parents and society, not so much, which was one of the original aspects of Nightcrawler's Origin as explained by creators pre-retcon. Until a writer did something similar to your thought process, which is totally fine mind you, but tried to offer some sort of "explanation" for why Nightcrawler looked "demonic" by giving him a father that was a mutant that looks "demonic" but that doesn't necessarily make sense, and it robs the character of the poignancy in story and creatively, that any parent, even those that look "normal" may have a child that doesn't look "normal" and that child may look a certain way, but it doesn't reflect who the child actually is, or their personality.

Thats the parallel with Iceman, like some writer thinking hmm, why is Iceman made out of ice? It would make sense if his father was a snowman, because mutations and the X-Gene can't do that. If some people think that makes sense, thats fine, but its fiction, for all others the mutation aspect allows for a lot and the idea behind the "normal" parents, "strange" offspring is great, similar to how many children who are the results of biracial unions, homosexual, are different from parents, but only in certain ways that don't necessary make them "monsters" hence.

william300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc: yes, but Nightcrawler didn't come from a "normal" parent, his mother was Mystique a blue skinned mutant, so Nightcrawler was never meant to be a mutant born from a human. Also, mutants are supposed to be a new race, not every single mutant is going to be born from a human, it makes sense that mutants would be breeding among themselves and producing mutants born just from other mutants.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SC  Moderator

@william300 said:

@sc: yes, but Nightcrawler didn't come from a "normal" parent, his mother was Mystique a blue skinned mutant, so Nightcrawler was never meant to be a mutant born from a human. Also, mutants are supposed to be a new race, not every single mutant is going to be born from a human, it makes sense that mutants would be breeding among themselves and producing mutants born just from other mutants.

Talking about his father my friend, you know… procreation is a two person sport ^_^ and yes originally he had a human father and well, actually another scenario that was an almost was that Mystique and Destiny were going to be his parents.

Also you keep using the word sense. I am not sure if thats the right term to use, it might make sense to you, and again thats fine, but I know everything about biology, I studied it for 4000 years, mutants don't make any sense at all, because they are fictional yes? They can only invoke a sense of believability, and so if your personal incredulity is satisfied, thats fine. You realize that yes? I am not saying you are wrong to feel that way. This is my opinion. You can't change my opinion by telling me how you feel about something. I never said that every single mutant is going to be born from a human, so please don't make such assumptions, it only creates more things for me to address.

william300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another thing I'd retcon is the whole Romulas thing with Wolverine. Romulas is an awful villain, and I was always confused about what he wanted, he always felt like a poor man's Apoclaypse. So just get rid of him and have it shown that Apoclaypse was Weapon X's secret benefactor.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93 said:

No Caption Provided

GREAT IDEA.......They all look cute um who's the green guy?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DevilMayehm666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

beaubier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The one thing that I hope EVERY DAY that Marvel will retcon is my most hated retcon. Make Magneto the twins' father again. I want all of that crap with Axis and their 'sister' from the high evolutionary wiped out of existence.

I would also like to retcon everything X-23 did under Bendis's pen out of existence, too. Lastly, the other thing that comes to mind is Spider-man and the X-Men. I'd like to retcon that whole series as well and pretend it never happened.

Immolation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beaubier said:

The one thing that I hope EVERY DAY that Marvel will retcon is my most hated retcon. Make Magneto the twins' father again. I want all of that crap with Axis and their 'sister' from the high evolutionary wiped out of existence.

I would also like to retcon everything X-23 did under Bendis's pen out of existence, too. Lastly, the other thing that comes to mind is Spider-man and the X-Men. I'd like to retcon that whole series as well and pretend it never happened.

I agree with everything you said. Cant comment on Spider-Man and the X-Men though because I never read it.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AvX

Phoenix Warsong, Phoenix Endsong...basically anything that brings back the Phoenix after the original story - even New X-Men

Nightcrawler's revised origin, which could be seen as the start of finding ways to make specific X-Men not mutants, anymore

Thekillerklok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want the entire story involving Azazel erased...just make Sabretooth Kurt's dad.

I want the entire story involving Vulcan and the forgotten X-Men erased and Adam X reinstated as the 3rd Summers brother, as intended.

I want Rachel to discover she's Wolverine and Jean's daughter from her timeline.

I have many others that most people will also disagree with, but I'm too lazy to type them right now.

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nightcrawler origin. Actually liked Claremont's original idea for Nightcrawler.

The o5 coming to the present.

Quicksilver and Wanda should be Magnetos kids still.

RaunJisto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Hellion and X-23 break-up.

X-23 being in All New X-Men.

Elixir dying in that Wolverines series... Although that kinda was retconned with him being an angry Utopian... Can that be retconned too? Like.. Why Karma? Why?

Magneto not being the twins' father.

Bishop going insane.