#1 Edited by nerdSmokeja (26 posts) - - Show Bio

Hello every one, im a new user and has been the biggest fan of the x-men since the 90's cartoon. Over the years, even tho i'm from another country if been keeping track and research everything i can. I notice, once upon a time x-men was everywhere and now they seem to be waning. Do you think The X-men franchise is losing its grip and why so?

#2 Edited by lifeofvibe (3470 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Posted by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

To who? The Avengers? Just look at the forums. 3358 posts in the X-Men forums. The Avengers have 924. And most of those posts are movie related.

#4 Posted by nerdSmokeja (26 posts) - - Show Bio

@knighthood: wow nice :D suck it avengers! i was speaking in general though

#5 Edited by dbatdog (538 posts) - - Show Bio

not really, but I know a lot of people who stop reading x-men after AvX...

#6 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4438 posts) - - Show Bio

@dbatdog said:

yeah. personally, I can see why, since I wasn't a big fan of that story myself.

But it's still kind of too bad, because I genuinely do think the X-men books have gotten better again since then.

#7 Edited by dbatdog (538 posts) - - Show Bio

@dbatdog said:

yeah. personally, I can see why, since I wasn't a big fan of that story myself.

But it's still kind of too bad, because I genuinely do think the X-men books have gotten better again since then.

well, i do like All New X-Men :)

Uncanny and plain X-Men and X-Force and Wolverine school...meh not so much...

#8 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4438 posts) - - Show Bio

@dbatdog said:

I like All-new,it's fun; but Uncanny and real X-men are probably my favorites right now.

"Wolverine school", though.. I have to agree with you there.

#9 Edited by Xwraith (17246 posts) - - Show Bio

After two crappy movies (Last Stand and Origins), I can kind of understand why the general public would lose interest in the X-Men.

Also, Marvel doesn't give them much promotion anymore.

#10 Edited by gor724 (826 posts) - - Show Bio

Hello every one, im a new user and has been the biggest fan of the x-men since the 90's cartoon. Over the years, even tho i'm from another country if been keeping track and research everything i can. I notice, once upon a time x-men was everywhere and now they seem to be waning. Do you think The X-men franchise is losing its grip and why so?

Kind of. To the non comic book readers, definitely. But comic book readers still know that the Avengers was just a secondary project of Stan Lee. It's kind of pathetic though that Marvel is trying to make the Avengers the main Marvel team, they are the center of all the events, and Wolverine is an Avenger now. They are trying to make the comics for movie goers, and it really bugs me, they should stay the way they always have. I bet you if Days of Future Past is great, Marvel will start making the X-Men comics good again. They are all about the cash.

#11 Edited by dbatdog (538 posts) - - Show Bio

@dbatdog said:

I like All-new,it's fun; but Uncanny and real X-men are probably my favorites right now.

is real X-men compose of all female X-men?

#12 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4438 posts) - - Show Bio

@dbatdog said:

is real X-men compose of all female X-men?

haha.. I mean like it's the X-men book that's actually the most like what I grew up with.

..and, as you point out, for a superhero team, Storm's X-men is certainly not "plain".

#13 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

@dbatdog said:

Am I the only one that loves Wolvie and the X-men? ;.;

#14 Posted by dbatdog (538 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler said:

@dbatdog said:

no, i think @wolverine08 loves it too...

#15 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4438 posts) - - Show Bio

No, I have a few friends who like it a lot.

Out of the first 30 issues, I can say I really enjoyed.. like eight or nine issues. Personally, I just wish it were more consistent, because the issues I have liked, I've really liked.

#16 Edited by Chapmar (191 posts) - - Show Bio

I think everyone has touched on this already, unfortunately due to the Avengers movie Marvel seems intent on pushing everything even slightly related to the Avengers 1 million percent. Even going so far as to create an event to vilify the X-men so that the Avengers can beat them up (And cap basically is on the side that he fought so hard against in Civil War - just arrest them all!) and Wolverine can prove once and for all that he is with the Avengers.

Although they do have Bendis, who let us not forget got the Avengers momentum rolling, writing their flagship X books now.

#17 Posted by CheeseSticks (2445 posts) - - Show Bio

No, but Marvel is trying to replace the X-Men with the Inhumans because they don't have the right to do X-Men movies.

#18 Edited by Xwraith (17246 posts) - - Show Bio

@chapmar: Bendis may have brought the Avengers to new heights in popularity, but he's not that good of a writer.

I don't think I'll be very happy by the time his X-Men run is over.

#19 Posted by Chapmar (191 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith: I love his writing, I followed New, Dark, Mighty, all the Avengers and I have to say the characters felt completely alive the entirety of his run. He made the Avengers somewhat believable and really changed the dynamic.

#20 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4438 posts) - - Show Bio

@gor724 said:

Kind of. To the non comic book readers, definitely. But comic book readers still know that the Avengers was just a secondary project of Stan Lee. It's kind of pathetic though that Marvel is trying to make the Avengers the main Marvel team, they are the center of all the events, and Wolverine is an Avenger now. They are trying to make the comics for movie goers, and it really bugs me, they should stay the way they always have. I bet you if Days of Future Past is great, Marvel will start making the X-Men comics good again. They are all about the cash.

Though I can't say I disagree with your main point here, I do think this part is factually incorrect. Having read most of Lee's work on Avengers, X-men, and several other early MU books, I really think the Avengers was far more central to his concept of a shared universe than any other of his group books. The X-men, while conceptually distinct, was sort of off in it's own little world and obviously never got the same amount of attention payed to it as the Avengers, the Fantastic Four, or Spider-man.

Outside of the initial concept and team, there's very little that really stands out as especially distinct from his run; it's pretty generic and rarely even has much to do with the fact that they're mutants except for the introduction of Magneto, the Sentinals, and the Brotherhood, which he mined all of the personality out of to make the Avengers more interesting.

Really it wasn't until the X-men were reinvented in the mid 70's that they became a very important part of the MU, besides the contributions of Magneto and the Brotherhood to the Avengers story.

#21 Posted by Wolverine08 (41070 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, the X-Men have lost some popularity.

#22 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Terrible writing, not remotely relevant any more, character's derailed for no reason.

They're probably gaining popularity since this generation of readers is full of idiots.

#23 Posted by M3th (2082 posts) - - Show Bio

Losing fans... NO!... Not gaining as many new fans... yes :(

Avengers are currently getting more fans but don't fret for the X-Men will rise again.

-m3th.O.D.-

#24 Posted by Black_Claw (2968 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith said:

After two crappy movies (Last Stand and Origins), I can kind of understand why the general public would lose interest in the X-Men.

Not to mention that Wolverine's new movie didn't do that spectacularly at the box office compared to previous films.

#25 Posted by lorex (954 posts) - - Show Bio

The problem with the X-Men right now is at Marvel the Avengers are the priority and that shapes the editorial attitudes from the top down. I would say that among comic fans X-Men are still much more popular that the Avengers. The X-Men enjoyed a solid period of 15-20 years where they were the top dogs at Marvel and in a way it made sense that the X-Men were the first really big Marvel superhero movie. It was only when the Avengers imported Wolverine and Spider-Man that they began to pick popularity relative to the X-Men on a consistent basis. Is that because of the Avengers or the outside heroes brought in to boost Avenger sales. Honestly I think the problems for X-Men have cropped since that first movie when Marvel tried to make the comic reality conform more to what was presented in the movies. I know I am making some generalizations but I would say that while sales are for the most part more even now that the X-Men have a larger fan base.

#26 Posted by PassionFlower (960 posts) - - Show Bio

In the general public they probably have lost a bit though the fan base is still pretty strong.

#27 Edited by Polarity (106 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes... sort of.

Right now the books haven't sold this poorly in over 30 years. Hell even in the dark ages of the late 90s, and before the Morrison reboot, the books sold far better than they're doing right now. It could be because the fanbase has dwindled or it could be because a quite of few x-fans aren't liking what they're seeing and are voting with their wallets.

Can it improve? Yeah of course, but it would take a Claremontian like world building effort in order to do so and I doubt anything like that will come around soon.

#28 Posted by Baberaham_Lincoln (926 posts) - - Show Bio

It's Marvel's second 'flagship' name after avengers right? By that i mean, Avengers come first, then it's the X-men (comic-verse). If so, i guess it's pretty significant in that regard... Marvel NOW! introduced me to X-men. Uncanny and All New are dope. I can't wait for Amazing X-men though!!! Ed McGuiness!!!!

#29 Posted by MrShway88 (655 posts) - - Show Bio

@polarity said:

Yes... sort of.

Right now the books haven't sold this poorly in over 30 years. Hell even in the dark ages of the late 90s, and before the Morrison reboot, the books sold far better than they're doing right now. It could be because the fanbase has dwindled or it could be because a quite of few x-fans aren't liking what they're seeing and are voting with their wallets.

Can it improve? Yeah of course, but it would take a Claremontian like world building effort in order to do so and I doubt anything like that will come around soon.

My new favorite word.

#30 Edited by Chapmar (191 posts) - - Show Bio

Terrible writing, not remotely relevant any more, character's derailed for no reason.

They're probably gaining popularity since this generation of readers is full of idiots.

You really do have to stop just insulting people for no reason.

#31 Posted by nerdSmokeja (26 posts) - - Show Bio

thanks for all the replies. i also think that the x-men have been on top so long and has such a large sum of characters and developments, that its kinda hard to maneuver the story in certain ways and not end up being terribly inconsistent. 50 cent and G-unit's rise and fall in popularity is an example of my point. for example storm's been around for over 40 years now, if you go certain places with her character, it just wouldn't make any sense to anyone, so it would be best to play safe, which can be boring. then again they can also pull some cheap bs like cyclops killing prof xavier

#32 Posted by TDK_1997 (14685 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually the X-Men aren't losing popularity but they were at a state before but that is because of the terrible writing we are receiving.

#33 Posted by jhazzroucher (15580 posts) - - Show Bio

Just a little bit especially that the avengers movie did well. But the X-men will always be the #1 team. Ever.

#34 Edited by The_Goddess_of_Chaos (297 posts) - - Show Bio

@fadetoblackbolt said:

wow someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed...lol

here's some tips:

What you project into the world has a profound effect on how you see the world around you and how others see you. Wouldn’t you like to wake up perfectly pleasant and ready to start your day? Here are five tips for starting your day on the right foot:

1. Be Aware of Your Moods Being stressed, angry or otherwise upset, doesn’t only make you grouchy, it can also put a strain on your body. Being aware of your moods, and how you perceive the world around you, can make an impact your emotional and physical well-being. Tell yourself it’s going to be a good day—it can actually help!
  2. Take Time to Eat a Hearty Breakfast You might not feel hungry when you wake up, but your body requires the fuel you get from food to run efficiently. A healthy meal, full of nutrients, can keep you focused, help you get more done and set the tone for the rest of the day.
  3. Monitor Your Caffeine Intake While caffeine can give you a jolt of energy, too much can actually hinder the quality of your sleep. Since happy mornings start with a good night’s sleep, make sure not to overdo it when it comes to coffee and other caffeinated beverages.
  4. Cut Back on Late Night Media TV might seem relaxing, but some experts speculate that the artificial glow from devices like your TV, laptop and cell phone, can hinder your ability to fall asleep at night. Anxiety, caused by stressful news events or emails, can also make falling asleep more challenging. Ensure a bright morning by cutting the cords with your gadgets at least 30 minutes before you head to bed.
  5. Wake Up at the Right Time
 Did you know that if you’re awoken during a light stage of sleep you will feel more refresh, energetic and alert? That means, the deeper the sleep you are in when the alarm goes off, the worse you feel when you wake up (talk about waking up on the wrong side of the bed). That’s where SleepTracker comes in handy. SleepTracker monitors your sleep throughout the night and wakes you up during a light sleep stage—allowing you to start your day less tired and groggy.

#35 Edited by Chapmar (191 posts) - - Show Bio
#36 Posted by Wolverine08 (41070 posts) - - Show Bio

@fadetoblackbolt said:

wow someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed...lol

here's some tips:

What you project into the world has a profound effect on how you see the world around you and how others see you. Wouldn’t you like to wake up perfectly pleasant and ready to start your day? Here are five tips for starting your day on the right foot:

1. Be Aware of Your Moods Being stressed, angry or otherwise upset, doesn’t only make you grouchy, it can also put a strain on your body. Being aware of your moods, and how you perceive the world around you, can make an impact your emotional and physical well-being. Tell yourself it’s going to be a good day—it can actually help!
  2. Take Time to Eat a Hearty Breakfast You might not feel hungry when you wake up, but your body requires the fuel you get from food to run efficiently. A healthy meal, full of nutrients, can keep you focused, help you get more done and set the tone for the rest of the day.
  3. Monitor Your Caffeine Intake While caffeine can give you a jolt of energy, too much can actually hinder the quality of your sleep. Since happy mornings start with a good night’s sleep, make sure not to overdo it when it comes to coffee and other caffeinated beverages.
  4. Cut Back on Late Night Media TV might seem relaxing, but some experts speculate that the artificial glow from devices like your TV, laptop and cell phone, can hinder your ability to fall asleep at night. Anxiety, caused by stressful news events or emails, can also make falling asleep more challenging. Ensure a bright morning by cutting the cords with your gadgets at least 30 minutes before you head to bed.
  5. Wake Up at the Right Time
 Did you know that if you’re awoken during a light stage of sleep you will feel more refresh, energetic and alert? That means, the deeper the sleep you are in when the alarm goes off, the worse you feel when you wake up (talk about waking up on the wrong side of the bed). That’s where SleepTracker comes in handy. SleepTracker monitors your sleep throughout the night and wakes you up during a light sleep stage—allowing you to start your day less tired and groggy.

Fade could really use this advice.

#37 Edited by Netshyster (270 posts) - - Show Bio

In all honesty I don't dig how the X-Men are handled in comics. The approach is still rooted firmly in the 'superhero' paradigm and I just don't think it suits a franchise like the X-Men. The Marvel universe is versatile and dynamic, that's something it has over DC. Many of the characters are not archetypical superheroes and their integrity is often sacrificed to keep them in line with the paradigm and its expectations. The X-Men truly suffer for this because all of the vast potential, ideas and innovation hidden in their concept is stifled in favour of conventional formula.

That was why Grant Morrison's (love him or hate him) New X-Men was retconned. It let loose all of the creative chaos and concept that was hidden, bubbling under the surface of the franchise, and nobody knew what to do with it once it was freed. Morrison got rid of the baggage and acknowledged what the X-Men really are and presented them honestly, as speculative science-fiction with superhero hijinks on the sidelines.

This new stuff is regressive and boring.

#38 Posted by PietroMaximoffIsTheMan (56 posts) - - Show Bio

They have how many books going right now? I think they have the most books at the moment, so I wouldn't say so.

#39 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7282 posts) - - Show Bio

In all honesty I don't dig how the X-Men are handled in comics. The approach is still rooted firmly in the 'superhero' paradigm and I just don't think it suits a franchise like the X-Men. The Marvel universe is versatile and dynamic, that's something it has over DC. Many of the characters are not archetypical superheroes and their integrity is often sacrificed to keep them in line with the paradigm and its expectations. The X-Men truly suffer for this because all of the vast potential, ideas and innovation hidden in their concept is stifled in favour of conventional formula.

That was why Grant Morrison's (love him or hate him) New X-Men was retconned. It let loose all of the creative chaos and concept that was hidden, bubbling under the surface of the franchise, and nobody knew what to do with it once it was freed. Morrison got rid of the baggage and acknowledged what the X-Men really are and presented them honestly, as speculative science-fiction with superhero hijinks on the sidelines.

This new stuff is regressive and boring.

Quoted for the damn truth.

#40 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6620 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know. X-men are still really popular. Avengers just got more popular because of the movie. And I find The Avengers comics really bland and boring while The X-Men so much more interesting.

#41 Posted by Xwraith (17246 posts) - - Show Bio

@madeinbangladesh: I agree with you on Avengers comics being bland, but there's nothing I find enjoyable in the current crop of X-books.

#42 Posted by Squares (5530 posts) - - Show Bio

If it is, I personally think that it's a combination of two things.

Firstly, many long-standing fans feel alienated because of things like Schism and AvX, which were both horrible. I know of someone who'd been reading X-men for something like five years who stopped reading X-titles entirely because of Schism.

Second, X-men is a very hard franchise to get into. The amount of continuity alone that one has to learn in order to keep up with current events is pretty daunting, and remembering so many different characters can be difficult and frustrating for the new reader.

#43 Edited by Blacharrt1 (751 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers team ups, and too much Wolverine.