#1 Posted by Silver_Raven (351 posts) - - Show Bio

Which characters would make a good team? (You can picks from any young X-men team, from New Mutants, Gen X, or Academy X.)

#2 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3628 posts) - - Show Bio

The mid-series lineup: Mirage, Cannonball, Karma, Sunspot, Magik, Cypher, Magma and Wolfsbane. I don't think there would be any way to incorporate Warlock without a lot of reworking, so I'd drop him. I'd also drop Magma's backstory regarding Nova Roma and just say that Illyana fell into another dimension where she met another species and learnt how to control reality instead of trying to explain Limbo. No asgardian powers for Dani, either. Karma, Mirage and Cypher's powers wouldn't need that much screen time or special effects, so it helps keep the team grounded in reality.

#3 Posted by papad1992 (6793 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Edited by Backflip (2239 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd take the circa 2009 line up. Cannonball, Sunspot, Dani Moonstar, Karma, Magik and Magma.

#5 Posted by Silver_Raven (351 posts) - - Show Bio

The mid-series lineup: Mirage, Cannonball, Karma, Sunspot, Magik, Cypher, Magma and Wolfsbane. I don't think there would be any way to incorporate Warlock without a lot of reworking, so I'd drop him. I'd also drop Magma's backstory regarding Nova Roma and just say that Illyana fell into another dimension where she met another species and learnt how to control reality instead of trying to explain Limbo. No asgardian powers for Dani, either. Karma, Mirage and Cypher's powers wouldn't need that much screen time or special effects, so it helps keep the team grounded in reality.

As much as I love this team, i don't see why they all should be in the movies especially certain characters that aren't as interesting like Karma and Cypher, or if we are looking at the special effects Warlock, Sunspot and Magma might be a costly.

I do agree eliminating story details like Magik's upbringing in limbo, Warlock being an alien and Magma's convoluted origins.

I think keeping it simple is key and adding playing up how new these mutants are to their powers and the world they are in.

#6 Posted by Rabidwolfdog (259 posts) - - Show Bio

Who would play Magik? I think that would be the most important part

#7 Edited by Silver_Raven (351 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3628 posts) - - Show Bio

@phoenixofthetides said:

As much as I love this team, i don't see why they all should be in the movies especially certain characters that aren't as interesting like Karma and Cypher, or if we are looking at the special effects Warlock, Sunspot and Magma might be a costly.

I do agree eliminating story details like Magik's upbringing in limbo, Warlock being an alien and Magma's convoluted origins.

I think keeping it simple is key and adding playing up how new these mutants are to their powers and the world they are in.

Because a character like Karma could easily be in one or two scenes, dealing with the library or Professor X's calls, while Cypher would require absolutely no special FX and can function as a way for the audience to have a character to identify with during the superhero-type action - besides, it's always helpful to see how some powers aren't combat-oriented and I actually liked the flow of that lineup, where different characters had personal reasons for not wanting the limelight. I already said that I wouldn't put Warlock in because it would cost too much. But Sunspot and Magma really wouldn't be that expensive, actually - it's easier to deal with full body graphics than energy blasts since the latter requires explosive effects, more rendering and etc.

#9 Edited by Silver_Raven (351 posts) - - Show Bio

@phoenixofthetides:

I really do love Karma, but her powers have always been portrayed so poorly and she is not the most exciting of characters. I would love her in a cameo role, maybe as the librarian or personal assistant to the Headmaster. But if we don't want a carbon copy of the comic books, why not make her a Hellion for the sequel?

Cypher is only really valuable if they need a translator and i don't see why they would need to have the New Mutants require one. Maybe if we change his power in the movie. What if he was a cyberpath, able to communicate with computers. That would make him really handy.

And i still think having Sunspot and Magma would require a lot of money if you want to show them in their alternative forms, which is key to their powers. With Magma also, her powers are kind of too powerful. She is practically a goddess, and a character that can raise a volcano is hard to do justice to.

#10 Edited by Silver_Raven (351 posts) - - Show Bio

I am trying to think outside box for this because i like how the movies don't follow canon and mix things up.

This my (rogue draft) line:

in place of Banshee and Emma, who have been used already I would cast Gambit and Sage as the teams mentors and advisors. Gambit deserves a better movie to show off all his charm and style and Sage would be perfect teacher with ties to both Professor X and Emma.

Mirage would be the leader of the team, who uses her powers only when needed and is the character people relate to like Wolverine was in the original trilogy.

Sunspot -solar powerhouse but to save on special effects he can only burn with dark energy and fly in direct sunlight. (If he is already going to be in Days of Future Past, then switch him with Gentle, the super-strong pacifist). He would be the fun loving, guy's guy, like Iceman.

Jubilee-she has to be in this movie and finally get her spotlight. She would be be team's cheerleader and comic relief with pyrotechnic special effects galore.

Chamber-instead of a psionic furnace he is a radioactive mutant who needs to wear a special suit up to his mouth. His is the "cursed" one of the group but not as emo a Rogue was. (Or switch him with Wither to simplify things.)

Wolfsbane is the sympathetic and complex youngster of the group. She would look like a small and red werewolf, similar to the big and blue Beast.

Rictor needs to have geokinetic powers that do more than just cause earthquakes, so he can be Storm's equal. He could be portrayed as gay for even more diversity and inclusiveness.

Skids, an obscure character but with a great defensive power and would look cool skating along on her friction-less forcefield

Cypher is omnilingual, and able to speak to computers and machines thanks to the program he creates called Warlock. He would be the tech support of the team.

I know it seems like a big cast but the movie would be about the school so there should be more of a cast and these main 8 would be the main characters. I want the focus to be one them being student learning about their powers but they find themselves involved in a conflict with the main antagonist so they have to work together and rise to the occasion.

#11 Edited by papad1992 (6793 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish i paid attention to more actors, because i would love to pick my own cast for the movie. I think casting superheroes for movies is so tricky but thanks for the suggestions.

No prob... glad you liked them! I wanted to add Cypher too but I guess I forgot him! :P

#12 Posted by Silver_Raven (351 posts) - - Show Bio

Who would make a good villain for the movie?

I feel it should be just one person, or one figurehead of a villainous group. I want to suggest Donald Pierce as the leader of the Purifiers. But maybe there is someone better? If the story is willing to go dark maybe the story can include the violent opening of God Loves, Man Kills, with the two mutant kids being hunter and murdered. That would set a grim backdrop to the innocent teen drama of the movie I would hate for this movie to be a kids movie and not a serious X-men film.

Maybe if they got a sequel, then for sure the Hellions! And we can reintroduce Emma at her own rival school?

#13 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3628 posts) - - Show Bio

@phoenixofthetides:

I really do love Karma, but her powers have always been portrayed so poorly and she is not the most exciting of characters. I would love her in a cameo role, maybe as the librarian or personal assistant to the Headmaster. But if we don't want a carbon copy of the comic books, why not make her a Hellion for the sequel?

Cypher is only really valuable if they need a translator and i don't see why they would need to have the New Mutants require one. Maybe if we change his power in the movie. What if he was a cyberpath, able to communicate with computers. That would make him really handy.

And i still think having Sunspot and Magma would require a lot of money if you want to show them in their alternative forms, which is key to their powers. With Magma also, her powers are kind of too powerful. She is practically a goddess, and a character that can raise a volcano is hard to do justice to.

That was my suggestion for Karma in my reply (see below), but I still don't see a problem with having her travel with the team - mental powers aren't that extreme on a SFX budget and even her halo effect is tame.

Because a character like Karma could easily be in one or two scenes, dealing with the library or Professor X's calls

And I can see Cypher being useful if the team travels to another country like Madripoor or Genosha. Once again gives him a reason to be useful, the team some legitimacy in foreign countries and etc.

And as I had mentioned, special effects for Magma and Sunspot really wouldn't be that expensive (Explanation of Special Effects Cost), to be honest. Realistic explosion effects and CGI characters can be more expensive than a character's fully body texture overlay (keep in mind that most of these can be done with green/blue suits) which is what we are really talking about with Sunspot and Magma. Her earthquakes can easily be accomplished with shaking cameras on the low end and then shaking cameras with falling dust/environmental effects on the high end. His superstrength is pretty much the least expensive effect to pull off cinematically, so all you are really dealing with is how to show the sunspot effect around his body. TBH fire and heat is actually one of the cheapest effects to pull off which is why it's in so many low budget SyFy Channel original movies. Electricity, plasma, frost and more complex energy that can't be duplicated using low budget means is more costly. If you are familiar with sentai, the original footage that is re-dubbed for Power Rangers, you'll see that wind and fire effects are the most numerous because those two elements require the least work to create, animate and add to a live action show. And Toei has nowhere near the budget of an X-Men movie yet they manage to reproduce such basic effects for 40-50 episodes plus 1 or 2 movies per season. It probably cost the most to show Iceman icing up and using a frost beam against Pyro and Jean's phoenix obliteration effects than anything else in X3.

I don't count characters raising volcanoes as that hard, nor is that on the scale of a goddess. Having a lot of power isn't the same as being a goddess, and when you can be KOed by a blow to the head, I can't put you on that level - show some omniscience and/or omnipotence and I might consider it ;).

#14 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3628 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish i paid attention to more actors, because i would love to pick my own cast for the movie. I think casting superheroes for movies is so tricky but thanks for the suggestions.

I am impressed when people do that, but I couldn't be bothered. I'd rather see new talent that has a good sense of comfort around each other than anything else. Maybe because I work in entertainment and deal with my share of famous people, I just don't think enough of most to remember their names or get into thinking who would be ideal.

#15 Posted by poisonfleur (3131 posts) - - Show Bio

Surge, Pixie, and Dust! :D

Charlie's Angels

#16 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5005 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the new mutants from the old movie trilogy (if you don't count Iceman, Rogue, Kitty, and Colossus) were

Moonstar, Cannonball, Sunspot, Jubilee, Siren, and Wolfsbane, which I think sounds pretty good, though I wouldn't mind seeing Magik, too. And Kitty should at least get a cameo.

#17 Posted by papad1992 (6793 posts) - - Show Bio

Ooh... what do u do!?

Charlie's Angels

That sounds awesome!!!!

I think the new mutants from the old movie trilogy (if you don't count Iceman, Rogue, Kitty, and Colossus) were

Moonstar, Cannonball, Sunspot, Jubilee, Siren, and Wolfsbane, which I think sounds pretty good, though I wouldn't mind seeing Magik, too. And Kitty should at least get a cameo.

Siryn was never a member of the New Mutants, nor was Jubilee!

#18 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5005 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler said:

I know, but the movies don't have to follow the comics exactly. They never do, anyway.

#19 Posted by papad1992 (6793 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992 said:
@oldnightcrawler said:

I know, but the movies don't have to follow the comics exactly. They never do, anyway.

That right there would piss New Mutant fans off soooo much!!

#20 Posted by Silver_Raven (351 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler said:

@papad1992 said:
@oldnightcrawler said:

I am die hard New Mutants fan, and i wouldn't mind if half of the team were Gen Xers, just like if they made a Gen X movie I would love it if they included some New Mutants as well. A movie about the next generation of X-men deserves as many young mutants the movies have yet to do justice to.

Also, X-Men: First Class did a great job reimagining the first X-men so i wouldn't mind an non-canon team. (As long as the team is more diverse than the First Class)

#21 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5005 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler said:

@papad1992 said:
@oldnightcrawler said:

haha! you don't speak for all of us; I'm a new mutants fan, and I suggested it.

#22 Edited by papad1992 (6793 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992 said:

@oldnightcrawler said:

@papad1992 said:
@oldnightcrawler said:

I am die hard New Mutants fan, and i wouldn't mind if half of the team were Gen Xers, just like if they made a Gen X movie I would love it if they included some New Mutants as well. A movie about the next generation of X-men deserves as many young mutants the movies have yet to do justice to.

Also, X-Men: First Class did a great job reimagining the first X-men so i wouldn't mind an non-canon team. (As long as the team is more diverse than the First Class)

I'm not saying I wouldn't want a non-canon team or not... I'm saying that (as a die hard New Mutants fan), I'd want to see THE new mutants, Moonstar, Cannonball, Karma, Wolfsbane, Sunspot, Magma, Magik, and Cypher... Now for a Generation X film, I'd love to see Husk, Synch, M, Jubilee, Skin, and Chamber. Since the members of these teams are what MADE these teams, I wouldn't want them any other way. Now when we're talking about the X-Men, since their members are so vast, different, and intriguing, with many different stories to tell, I'd love to see writers and directors pick and choose (like they did for First Class) characters that they deem fitting.

#23 Posted by papad1992 (6793 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992 said:

@oldnightcrawler said:

@papad1992 said:
@oldnightcrawler said:

But I'm speaking for a vast majority.

#24 Posted by Silver_Raven (351 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992: I see your point. I guess i am just more unconventional then because i like when traditions are throw out the window to try something new. (That is why i love/d Clark and Lana from Smallville because it was something new and different and untraditional).

Do you all remember the Generation X tv movie from the 90s? It was supposed to be a pilot to set up a live action series but it was so awful, and miscast, and all kinds of wrong that no one watched it. I wish they could try something like that again but done right. Maybe that is where we can see some "new mutants".

#25 Posted by Silver_Raven (351 posts) - - Show Bio

Charlie's Angels

That would make a great cartoon short. I wish Marvel made cartoons as much as they made movies. Well maybe we will be seeing more now that Disney own them.

#26 Edited by oldnightcrawler (5005 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler said:

I don't know how you can know that.

I love the original New Mutants, but I really wouldn't miss some of the contrived later additions like Warlock or Magma. And the idea of seeing Cypher in a movie does nothing to thrill me.

Magik's one of my favorites, but you could have a whole movie (maybe a sequel?) about her.

Jubilee I only mentioned because she was with the team in X2, but she's not much younger than Wolfsbane.

Siren was never a member of the team either, but she was the same age and joined up with them shortly after the formation of X-force. Also she might be an interesting connection to the X-men since, in the movies, her dad was one of the original members. I dunno, I think she's cool.

I do think of the original team (and Magik) as the best version, but after that, most of the other "classic" New Mutants (Cypher, Warlock, and Magma) just really do nothing for me.

#27 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3628 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992: I work in the legal department of a production network as a paralegal (about to go to law school) so I deal with entertainment law, licensing, contracts and corporate issues.

#28 Posted by papad1992 (6793 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992: I work in the legal department of a production network as a paralegal (about to go to law school) so I deal with entertainment law, licensing, contracts and corporate issues.

That sounds pretty legit... Kudos to you and your job. :P

@papad1992 said:

@oldnightcrawler said:

I don't know how you can know that.

I love the original New Mutants, but I really wouldn't miss some of the contrived later additions like Warlock or Magma. And the idea of seeing Cypher in a movie does nothing to thrill me.

Magik's one of my favorites, but you could have a whole movie (maybe a sequel?) about her.

Jubilee I only mentioned because she was with the team in X2, but she's not much younger than Wolfsbane.

Siren was never a member of the team either, but she was the same age and joined up with them shortly after the formation of X-force. Also she might be an interesting connection to the X-men since, in the movies, her dad was one of the original members. I dunno, I think she's cool.

I do think of the original team (and Magik) as the best version, but after that, most of the other "classic" New Mutants (Cypher, Warlock, and Magma) just really do nothing for me.

It's spelled "Siryn" first off...

So basically you're a fan of only the first few issues that comprised only of the original 5 New Mutants... and not afterwards? Oooookkk. That's a weird way of being a "fan" of a team that only stayed that consistent for only like seven issues. The series was the most successful when it added members like Magma, Magik, Cypher, and Warlock so I don't see how you can really appreciate a team the way you do. When they made X-Men First Class... even though it wasn't cannon to the comics' history, they still utilized characters that were X-Men. So in a New Mutants movie, I only seem it fitting to see the movie comprise of members who were apart of the New mutants team (Moonstar, Cannonball, Sunspot, Karma, Wolfsbane, Magik, Magma, Cypher, Warlock, Boom Boom, Rusty Collins, Skids, Rictor, etc...).

#29 Edited by papad1992 (6793 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992: I see your point. I guess i am just more unconventional then because i like when traditions are throw out the window to try something new. (That is why i love/d Clark and Lana from Smallville because it was something new and different and untraditional).

Do you all remember the Generation X tv movie from the 90s? It was supposed to be a pilot to set up a live action series but it was so awful, and miscast, and all kinds of wrong that no one watched it. I wish they could try something like that again but done right. Maybe that is where we can see some "new mutants".

Do not remind me of the Generation X TV movie... that was... it was just.... ew. I wanted to reach in there and strangle the actors/actresses. And why was Jubilee sounding like she's from Brooklynn? And that Cyclops rip-off guy... just like you said, all kinds of wrong. I think if they try to do the same concept now, it would be more successful. Only with better actors and the actual characters and a better plot/concept.

#30 Edited by IllyanaRasputin (1095 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly wouldn't create a New Mutants Movie, I think a New Mutants television show would be a lot more interesting and a lot more fun. The one thing I disliked about the movies was that there was no character development for the main characters there was only character development for 3 out of the 10 main cast.

I would really like to see something set with the original team, Cannonball, Mirage, Karma, Sunspot, Magma, Magik and Cypher. Instead of having it set like it was with Generation X in a private school (Xavier Institute) I'd definitely switch it up a bit and make it more X-Men Evolution style and either have the students in a public high school or even at a University level to make it more realistic, like Emma Frost's mini series run was (Bloom story arc).

Karma would be the oldest and be taking her final year at the University, Cannonball, Mirage and Sunspot would be 3rd years while Cypher and Magik are 2nd and Wolfsbane is a Freshman. The school environment would be more realistic, like how Buffy the Vampire Slayer was Season 4, the students would be missing classes ext and dealing with "adult" problems but at the same time teaming up as super heros to stop the bad guys. Instead of being Super Heroes I'd like to see something more like the Mutant X series, but a little more teeny bopper, would love if Whedon directed/wrote it, but again this is all wishful thinking.

Felicia Day as Wolfsbane

Freddie Stroma as Cannonball

Dianba Agron as Magma

Aimee Teegarden as Magma

I can't really put any faces on the other cast members but I'd definitely like to see these four characters play the four i choose.

#31 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5005 posts) - - Show Bio

So basically you're a fan of only the first few issues that comprised only of the original 5 New Mutants... and not afterwards? Oooookkk. That's a weird way of being a "fan" of a team that only stayed that consistent for only like seven issues. The series was the most successful when it added members like Magma, Magik, Cypher, and Warlock so I don't see how you can really appreciate a team the way you do. When they made X-Men First Class... even though it wasn't cannon to the comics' history, they still utilized characters that were X-Men. So in a New Mutants movie, I only seem it fitting to see the movie comprise of members who were apart of the New mutants team (Moonstar, Cannonball, Sunspot, Karma, Wolfsbane, Magik, Magma, Cypher, Warlock, Boom Boom, Rusty Collins, Skids, Rictor, etc...).

That's not what I said at all. I like the series as a whole, just not every character who joined the team.

And, like I said, I do like Magik. I just think she's complicated for a movie. Hell, I even like Cypher; but the topic of the thread wasn't "what do you like about old New Mutants comics", was it?

You're talking like there's no difference between Stan Lee's X-men and Claremont's, or anyone who came after, but don't seem to see that I feel the same way about the original New Mutants, the original X-force, and Generation X. Not that they are the same thing, but that they're part of the same thing, like different iterations of the X-men were.

I could sit here until I'm blue in the face explaining why I don't think the outback X-men were really the X-men (and I have), but, at the end of the day, that's only based on my favoritism of one era over another. If you see what I mean.. ..?

#32 Posted by papad1992 (6793 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992 said:

That's not what I said at all. I like the series as a whole, just not every character who joined the team.

And, like I said, I do like Magik. I just think she's complicated for a movie. Hell, I even like Cypher; but the topic of the thread wasn't "what do you like about old New Mutants comics", was it?

You're talking like there's no difference between Stan Lee's X-men and Claremont's, or anyone who came after, but don't seem to see that I feel the same way about the original New Mutants, the original X-force, and Generation X. Not that they are the same thing, but that they're part of the same thing, like different iterations of the X-men were.

I could sit here until I'm blue in the face explaining why I don't think the outback X-men were really the X-men (and I have), but, at the end of the day, that's only based on my favoritism of one era over another. If you see what I mean.. ..?

Your speaking in circles... First you said none of the characters (besides Magik) after the original five do nothing for you and that you don't like some of the "contrived" latter additions, but now you're saying that you like the said characters and are confusing the whole conversation....

The New Mutants, the original X-Force, and Generation X are not the same thing, as you say. They each have their own concept and overall "feel" to them. I could go into each one of their qualities, etc, but I won't because it'd be a waste. (unless you need some educating...).

And who cares about the difference between Stan Lee's and Chris Cleremont's X-Men, they're two different styles and eras of X-Men, but all in all, they're ALL X-Men under the same moniker. I was saying that within each X-Men movie, the screenwriter, director, whatever chose X-Men from the X-Men team to be apart of the core team of X-Men. Not a character from Generation X or a character from X-Force or X-Factor, etc... That's what I'm trying to say, if you see what I mean.....?

#33 Edited by oldnightcrawler (5005 posts) - - Show Bio

Your speaking in circles... First you said none of the characters (besides Magik) after the original five do nothing for you and that you don't like some of the "contrived" latter additions, but now you're saying that you like the said characters and are confusing the whole conversation....

The New Mutants, the original X-Force, and Generation X are not the same thing, as you say. They each have their own concept and overall "feel" to them. I could go into each one of their qualities, etc, but I won't because it'd be a waste. (unless you need some educating...).

And who cares about the difference between Stan Lee's and Chris Cleremont's X-Men, they're two different styles and eras of X-Men, but all in all, they're ALL X-Men under the same moniker. I was saying that within each X-Men movie, the screenwriter, director, whatever chose X-Men from the X-Men team to be apart of the core team of X-Men. Not a character from Generation X or a character from X-Force or X-Factor, etc... That's what I'm trying to say, if you see what I mean.....?

I do see what you mean. I'm just saying I don't see it the same way. To me, Generation X is to New Mutants what the Giant Size team was to the X-men. Same idea, different characters.

#34 Posted by papad1992 (6793 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992 said:

I do see what you mean. I'm just saying I don't see it the same way. To me, Generation X is to New Mutants what the Giant Size team was to the X-men. Same idea, different characters.

That is so convoluted! The Giant Size team were X-Men, are you not getting the concept here!? Generation X has nothing to do with New Mutants! The New Mutants were training to be X-Men (well that is what their initial goal was) while Generation X were in a school setting learning how to use their powers under the tutelage of Emma and Sean in a totally different academy..

#35 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5005 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler said:

That is so convoluted! The Giant Size team were X-Men, are you not getting the concept here!? Generation X has nothing to do with New Mutants! The New Mutants were training to be X-Men (well that is what their initial goal was) while Generation X were in a school setting learning how to use their powers under the tutelage of Emma and Sean in a totally different academy..

okay, New Mutants and Generation X are two completely different concepts.

feel better?

#36 Posted by papad1992 (6793 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992 said:

@oldnightcrawler said:

feel better?

Don't cop-out... hold your own and stand by your remarks. Tell me why they are the same.

#37 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5005 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992: okay, well to me they are the same. They both represent the same thing to the story, that the idea of a school to train young mutants was a core concept to the X-men as a whole.

In both cases they were trained separately from the senior team and weren't meant to be active members the way the original X-men were. They both had members that were ambitious to become X-men and others who just wanted to learn to safely control their powers. To me they were just the next generation of New Mutants.

I guess when Gen'X came out back in '94, the thing that got me excited was that there hadn't really been a junior team since the New Mutants ended, so I was like, "finally; a new team of New Mutants!", because, as far as I could tell, the only real difference was the title, which I assumed was just a marketing thing to associate it as an X-men book. But the core concept is still the same.

Also, you'll note that the only member of Gen'X I suggested was Jubilee. I suggested Jubilee and Siren, and they were both around at the same time as the original New Mutants (and why Jubilee wasn't on that team is still a mystery to me, other than she would've seemed redundant with Boom Boom). And I only thought of them in the first place because they were already shown with the New Mutants characters in the other X-men movies.

#38 Posted by papad1992 (6793 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992: okay, well to me they are the same. They both represent the same thing to the story, that the idea of a school to train young mutants was a core concept to the X-men as a whole.

In both cases they were trained separately from the senior team and weren't meant to be active members the way the original X-men were. They both had members that were ambitious to become X-men and others who just wanted to learn to safely control their powers. To me they were just the next generation of New Mutants.

I guess when Gen'X came out back in '94, the thing that got me excited was that there hadn't really been a junior team since the New Mutants ended, so I was like, "finally; a new team of New Mutants!", because, as far as I could tell, the only real difference was the title, which I assumed was just a marketing thing to associate it as an X-men book. But the core concept is still the same.

Also, you'll note that the only member of Gen'X I suggested was Jubilee. I suggested Jubilee and Siren, and they were both around at the same time as the original New Mutants (and why Jubilee wasn't on that team is still a mystery to me, other than she would've seemed redundant with Boom Boom). And I only thought of them in the first place because they were already shown with the New Mutants characters in the other X-men movies.

Ok... first off, again, it's spelled Siryn!!!

Now...

While they are different generations of mutants... they are different in their own right.

The New Mutants were a group of teenagers (minus Karma who was an adult) which consisted of many different characters from different backgrounds (much to what the Giant Size X-Men established with characters from Japan, Canada, Germany, Russia, etc...) these characters were from Scotland, Vietnam, Brazil, the mid-west of the US, etc... The title itself was to convey the concept of the X-Men only on a smaller more tutor-like version. They battled high-classes villains and had many Asgardian adventures, etc... They were ethically diverse and mirrored that of the Giant Size X-Men, again, stories and all. These new mutants were destined to become the next generation of mutant heroes, trained by Xavier, Magneto, and various others. They also entertained a rotating cast of members throughout the series' run.

Unlike the New Mutants, the X-Men, and other mutants, Generation X did not train at the Xavier school under Xavier himself. They were taught/trained by Emma Frost and Banshee at the Massachusetts Academy. This team/cast of students were designed to entertain a demographic of readers who were starting to read comics and needed a more relatable concept. It dealt with issues of being teenagers, love interests, and the complexity of being a teen... only with mutant powers. This class mainly stayed around the same cast with other members joining and leaving, but overall keeping the same main cast. The members of this generation were not all too ethically diverse, but did consist of African American students, a minority the mutants were lacking in (it was later revealed that M is not black but Muslim) and plus an overly Spanish character. And unlike being recruited to be apart of the next generation of heroes, Generation X consisted of characters directly out of the Phalanx Covenant story and were basically teenagers attending an Academy learning like an everyday teen, but also training in the use of their powers.

So the differences of these two teams rival the qualities that they share, which are only located at the base of it: being a generation of mutants.

#39 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5005 posts) - - Show Bio

Unlike the New Mutants, the X-Men, and other mutants, Generation X did not train at the Xavier school under Xavier himself. They were taught/trained by Emma Frost and Banshee at the Massachusetts Academy. This team/cast of students were designed to entertain a demographic of readers who were starting to read comics and needed a more relatable concept. It dealt with issues of being teenagers, love interests, and the complexity of being a teen... only with mutant powers. This class mainly stayed around the same cast with other members joining and leaving, but overall keeping the same main cast. The members of this generation were not all too ethically diverse, but did consist of African American students, a minority the mutants were lacking in (it was later revealed that M is not black but Muslim) and plus an overly Spanish character. And unlike being recruited to be apart of the next generation of heroes, Generation X consisted of characters directly out of the Phalanx Covenant story and were basically teenagers attending an Academy learning like an everyday teen, but also training in the use of their powers.

So the differences of these two teams rival the qualities that they share, which are only located at the base of it: being a generation of mutants.

I don't think these are major differences to the concept at all. Other than the parts I've highlighted, or ones that were particular to certain characters, most of what you said could apply to both teams.

In both cases they were trained separately from the senior team and weren't meant to be active members the way the original X-men were. They both only fought major villains by happenstance. They both had members that were ambitious to become X-men and others who just wanted to learn to safely control their powers. And they both tried to be more culturally diverse and revolved largely around teen drama.

Yes, they were different characters in different stories, but the concept was still pretty much the same.

#40 Posted by papad1992 (6793 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992 said:

I don't think these are major differences to the concept at all. Other than the parts I've highlighted, or ones that were particular to certain characters, most of what you said could apply to both teams.

In both cases they were trained separately from the senior team and weren't meant to be active members the way the original X-men were. They both only fought major villains by happenstance. They both had members that were ambitious to become X-men and others who just wanted to learn to safely control their powers. And they both tried to be more culturally diverse and revolved largely around teen drama.

Yes, they were different characters in different stories, but the concept was still pretty much the same.

The New Mutants DID NOT focus on being a teenager, it focused on being a hero in training and they were pretty active and saved the X-Men countless times and participated in stories like Mutant Massacre, etc.. and really didn't dwell on the problems of a teenager, while Generation X focused mainly on school and learning in a school setting. The New Mutants went off to space, interacted with different Marvel Universe characters and concepts and they played a bigger part in the Marvel U. Generation X was just a series of a bunch of mutant teenagers dealing with their mutant teenager problems in a school-like setting with minor occurrences of villains (mainly Emplate).

Much what the New X-Men series married, the concept of becoming heroes (The New Mutants), but set in a school-like setting with the problems a teenager still there (Generation X).

#41 Edited by oldnightcrawler (5005 posts) - - Show Bio

The New Mutants DID NOT focus on being a teenager, it focused on being a hero in training and they were pretty active and saved the X-Men countless times and participated in stories like Mutant Massacre, etc.. and really didn't dwell on the problems of a teenager, while Generation X focused mainly on school and learning in a school setting. The New Mutants went off to space, interacted with different Marvel Universe characters and concepts and they played a bigger part in the Marvel U. Generation X was just a series of a bunch of mutant teenagers dealing with their mutant teenager problems in a school-like setting with minor occurrences of villains (mainly Emplate).

Much what the New X-Men series married, the concept of becoming heroes (The New Mutants), but set in a school-like setting with the problems a teenager still there (Generation X).

#42 Posted by papad1992 (6793 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992 said:

WOW... ok. I can see u are one of those people. How can you argue an infinitesimal point to concepts that clearly share the same base roots but not the same branches of conception!? The base roots being mutants and a generation of their kind.

#43 Posted by Silver_Raven (351 posts) - - Show Bio

I think there would be three/four viable options for some kind of New Mutants story on screen.

The first is a possible sequel to either original X-Men trilogy or X-men: Days of Futures Past. If Fox wants to keep the rights, and if the producers are still interested in exploring the New Mutant/Gen X/Academy characters. Because let's be real, teenage characters created in the 80s may not hold up in this new age of teenager. So there are tons of X-kids to pick from now. I have a feeling that after DOFP, the next X-movie will set up the school as the haven it was in X1 for young mutants coming into their own, and the X-men serving as their teachers. So i would not be surprised if they named the last movie in the prequel trilogy "New Mutants".

Another possible opportunity could come from Marvel Studios, if and when they get the rights to other X-character, since they seem to have succeeded in snagging the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver for their next Avengers movie. Maybe if they can borrow some newer, more obscure young X-men they could get away with an Academy X movie or maybe better yet a tv series. Either option could be really exciting. A movie could start a new X-trilogy but under Marvel Studios' banner, have it potentially tie into the Avengers with maybe Wanda and Pietro as mentors, and introduce some actual new mutants. A tv series would be less expensive and epic but have more time to develop the characters and have a big enough cast without worrying it will take away from the story.

The last option would be a cartoon in the same vein as X-men Evolution but with the elder X-men as supporting characters to the young mutants composing the X-School. DC has done such great job with young superheroes but Marvel has only had XME to try and it was not the best concept since the X-movies came out around the same time and the ages of the characters did not match. A cartoon would also allow for Marvel to use what ever characters they wanted since Fox only owns the movie rights to the characters.. It would also be good timing since there is no show on right now with superheroic teens.

So it might be a sequel to the X-men movies owned by Fox, a spin-off from the Avengers but owned by Marvel, a tv show set in Marvel's expanded universe, or a cartoon owned by Marvel focusing on the young X-men. Do people have any preferences? (I'll take what ever i can get.)