• 87 results
time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

#1  Edited By time1

I loving All new X-Men and uncanny X-Men. Infact I'm loving X-Men titles now, there so good. If you don't like Bendis writing, please share your reasons why.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By AweSam

I love All New X-men. As a professional writer, Bendis is terrible, but he does write some good storylines. Although, he does tend to disregard the past and doesn't think too much when it comes to what happens next.

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Bendis does tend to come up with good stories. Problem being he does give 2 hoots to a established chronology of a character, specially their power level, which is something a long time character fan or someone to prefers battle thread would dislike.

Its still pretty hard to justify what happened to Molecule Man under Bendis, or what happened to Mister X, or Thanos. Its the lack of respect for the character his story includes, mostly the villians as opposed to heroes, is what turns me off on him.

His stories arent too bad. Although i am a bigger fan of Remenders now, Uncanny Avengers for me above all else at the moment :) or Hickman, Avenger - New Avengers FTW :p

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#4 vance_astro  Moderator

@killemall said:

Bendis does tend to come up with good stories. Problem being he does give 2 hoots to a established chronology of a character, specially their power level, which is something a long time character fan or someone to prefers battle thread would dislike.

Its still pretty hard to justify what happened to Molecule Man under Bendis, or what happened to Mister X, or Thanos. Its the lack of respect for the character his story includes, mostly the villians as opposed to heroes, is what turns me off on him.

His stories arent too bad. Although i am a bigger fan of Remenders now, Uncanny Avengers for me above all else at the moment :) or Hickman, Avenger - New Avengers FTW :p

This.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I agree that Bendis doesnt stick to the script so to speak with characters. But he's not bad at all, he's just not my favorite

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By TDK_1997

He makes some good stories from time to time but most of the times he just uses characters he doesn't understand and makes them act out of character.

bornonamonday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bornonamonday

his Daredevil run was miraculous, other than that I agree that he is not one of the best writers Marvel has at their disposal

tomchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By tomchu

Daredevil from 26 up to 60 are some of my favourite comics of all time, with 57 hung on my wall because of its awesome cover and insane storyline. Afterwords, he did lose some steam and tone things down until he left. His Ultimate Spidey faced the same problem no? he had a lot of steam powering him through the first 40 / 50 something issues, and then he had potholes which I felt quite uneasy about, where storytelling fell dim or slow. Though I do say, for both runs, had some brilliant dialogue (Ultimate Spidey #13 and Daredevil #50)

He does come up with a lot of sh!t for his large scale crossover events, which eventually collapses into a lot of people fighting some large entity. He should take some tips from Hickman, who has at times handled large casts well by breaking them down. And Jean Grey taking down Wolverine in All New X-Men? I call bullsh!t.

Ultra_beleco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:

He makes some good stories from time to time but most of the times he just uses characters he doesn't understand and makes them act out of character.

That's my point of view too.

snyderman567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Painfully slow plot progression
  2. He is not good at writing dialogue for certain characters ( Emma Frost is a prime example)
  3. Each issue feels like I only read 10 pages.
darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nice ideas play of words but excrutiatingly slow storyline progression.

chasereis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthphoenix: Actually as an original X-Men fan, personally he move at a brisk Claremont pace, sans the epic 80's ideas.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Not X-Men related, but "Blam! Murdered you!" has to be the worst catchphrase in a long time.

ScarletBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like Bendis. He has a few stinkers but he is usually quite fun. A lot of the problems people have with Bendis center around the sheer volume of books he writes. When you pen that many titles, some are always bound to be better than others. Bendis' biggest weakness is that he looses steam. I think his editor(s) need to be aware of this and help re-inspire him or move him to new titles. I love all of Bendis' pre-Heroic Age Avengers comics but the stuff that happened afterwards is definitely not his best work.

Avatar image for nightcrawler358
NightCrawler358

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's made plenty of faults, but I think Bendis has given a lot to the Marvel universe!

I'm personally a fan of his.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@darthphoenix: Actually as an original X-Men fan, personally he move at a brisk Claremont pace, sans the epic 80's ideas.

Lol. Please tell me how you came to this conclusion.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tomchu: That got me thinking, will children of the atom be good. I like the idea behind it, but it doesn't start untill September.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: Most writers do that anyway, shoving characters down are throats. Matt Fraction and Kieran Gillian did that with Cyclops and Emma for 6 years.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Age of Ultron is the reason why he's writing and plotting sucks.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By time1

@theacidskull: I tend to agree with you. I think Bendis is doing a good Job so far. Uncanny X-Men is about 6 issues so far and it's pretty good. All New X-Men was pretty good for about 10 issues. Issues 11 and 12 were ok too.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By time1

@theacidskull: Haven't red any of Age of ultron, I don't intend to either. Not a fan of marvel events, haven't been a fan of them in years, there too many of them.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@time said:

@theacidskull: I tend to agree with you. I think Bendis is doing a good Job so far. Uncanny X-Men is about 6 issues so far and it's pretty good. All New X-Men was pretty good for about 10 issues. Issues 11 and 12 were ok too.

i am glad you are enjoying Them ^__^, but it;s just not enough to convince me :(, age of ultron is still terrible, and he is rarely consistent

When a writer like him does so much to an OKAY quality, I respect him either way.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: Really, who gives a sh!t about respecting a writer? They don't care. And losing respect for somebody you don't know ( Who in this case, should be "respected" due to the sheer volume of okay work he does ) is kinda stupid. I don't ever lose respect for writers who write volumes like Bendis, The stories are okay or they would not sell. And writing that much, coming from a guy ( me ) who knows what it's like to take on too much writing ( My friend nicknamed me bendis cos' of it -____- ) Is something most writers don't have.

I respect him as a writer, but not his stories. There is a difference.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

2. He is not good at writing dialogue for certain characters ( Emma Frost is a prime example)

This.

Could move faster, but on the whole I like his X-books and quite a bit of his other stuff.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bendis needs to retire and basically retcon everything he's ever down.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: I see, Like I said the stories may be bad but his actual writing style and ethos is something that is impressive.

tomchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@time said:

@tomchu: That got me thinking, will children of the atom be good. I like the idea behind it, but it doesn't start untill September.

This problem breaks down into one simple question.

Whether he handles the crossover like House of M, focusing on one character (such as Wolvie) and then interacting with the next character, or Dark Reign, with a interesting premise, but broke down into stupidity by the end of it with the "Every character we dont like are Skrulls and they die." and "Every character that we like that are dead come back by some Deus Ex Machina crap".

Personally. I'm on the fence.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I don't think Bendis is that good at finding the voice of a lot of his characters. He is a good writer when he has one character like DD or USM. However, whenever he writes a team like Avengers or GOTG (don't read his X-Men), he finds the voice for only a couple characters. The rest will be background one dimensional characters who only serve to toss out banter with the couple that he puts as stars.

I think he has good ideas when it comes to high level stories. I just don't like all the banter and the full pages of just people sitting around. People are allowed to have conversations that are more than one liner quips.

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By Veitha

He can't write Emma Frost properly... she hasn't said "darling" or something like this in a while and I miss a lot her "darling" stuff.

I like everything else

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By time1

@veitha: I think he wrote her well in Uncanny X-Men 2 and Uncanny X-Men 3. She called Tempus sweety before.

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@time: yeah, and I liked her when they went to the school, but I miss her sarcasm lol

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veitha: Aleast she not living in Cyclops shadow anymore.

chasereis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ageofhurricane: The pacing is about the same as Chris was in the upper 200's uncanny. I however am only referring to story pacing not quality, Hurricane.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@ageofhurricane: The pacing is about the same as Chris was in the upper 200's uncanny. I however am only referring to story pacing not quality, Hurricane.

When Claremont's stories went at this pace--if they ever did--i dont think that the detrimental quality was this noticable. And "upper 200s". Yeah, just in that period. It's a definitive trait for Bendis.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TValid.

@time said:

@veitha: Aleast she not living in Cyclops shadow anymore.

Dw, she still is.

chasereis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ageofhurricane: Again, was referring to slow burn pacing NOT quality. Even you have to admit that.

@phisigmatau said:

TValid.

What is TValid and does it have any side effects like nausea, vomiting or retconning?

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

because he molds, butchers, and destroys characters he doesn't know how to write, changes their personality, origin, etc.

not only that, but he also shoves characters HE likes down our throats.

Definitely good reasons. Luke Cage is a prime example.

Yes, pretty much. His stories just end up boring me and feeling like they went on for too long. It's not entirely his fault, since I'm sure The Powers That Be basically mandate that an event happens and Bendis & the various writers have to fulfill the command, but for me, it seems that all of his characters just become over-simplified and one note, saying variations of the same thing.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chasereis: Lol. So it took 12 issues for his stories to go virtually nowhere until the next grounbreaking even ? Idts.

chasereis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ageofhurricane: I think you're having another conversation (that is clearly not with me) whilst in the midst of a Bendis tirade. S'all good though. However should you want to refer to my patience in stories? Dude I watched every episode or Naruto and Dragonball Z, if I can watch a single fight over the course five 20+ minute episodes, then waiting more than 6 issues for an event is TRULY nothing to me. Just saying.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ageofhurricane: Not really, all she was before was Cyclops Sex toy. How can anyone prefer Emma over Jean when it comes to being Cyclops partner is beyond me. She suck as Cyclops partner, all she did was live in Cyclops shadows.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@tdk_1997 said:

I've been thinking about this, and maybe I just haven't read enough of his work, but I can't think of a single example of that being the case.

@time said:

@ageofhurricane: Not really, all she was before was Cyclops Sex toy.

pfft.

How can anyone prefer Emma over Jean when it comes to being Cyclops partner is beyond me.

She's more interesting than Jean, and Cyclops has been more interesting with her than he was with Jean.

She suck as Cyclops partner, all she did was live in Cyclops shadows.

Really? what about when people used to accuse Cyclops of just doing whatever she said?

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Bendis' Emma isn't great. Gillen and Morrison's Emmas are wayyyyy better.