how Was Grant Morrison's run?

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By SOG7dc

on xmen? was it as awesome as everything else the man writes?

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SOG7dc

bump. could someone answer my question? im about to order some x men comics on amazon and would like to know whether to go with grant morrisons run or the current all new x men by bendis

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By PeppeyHare

One of the best runs of the X-Men ever IMO. The stuff Bendis is doing is pretty good as well though

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

I haven't read Morrison's X-Men, unfortunately, but his other stuff have been awesome, of course.

I am reading All New X-Men, and being a X-Men fa, I love it.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#5 SC  Moderator

Uh did you mean to put this in the X-Men section? Its in General, its hard to know which run you mean exactly? ^_^

If you do mean X-Men, it was pretty awesome. It has some critics and a few people didn't like it, but those new to X-Men should enjoy it. I personally recommend it over Bendis run.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc said:

Uh did you mean to put this in the X-Men section? Its in General, its hard to know which run you mean exactly? ^_^

If you do mean X-Men, it was pretty awesome. It has some critics and a few people didn't like it, but those new to X-Men should enjoy it. I personally recommend it over Bendis run.

i had it there. i swear. i just couldnt get any responses and i needed to know tonight. it wont happen again. my apologies

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SC  Moderator

@sog7dc: Heh heh thats perfectly alright man.

Grant Morrisons run had a tighter focus on characters, and not as much time travel as Bendis run, though it did have some at the end. Its main focus was on characters like Cyclops, Emma Frost, Jean Grey, Professor X, Beast and had new characters like Quentin Quire, Cassandra Nova and Xorn make a big impact on the X-Men. Also had a lot of interesting new mutant students introduced.

Bendis run is a bit less edgy and deals with time traveling young original X-Men. It seems pretty popular too. Its more current naturally as well, so thats another advantage. Good luck on your choice!

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc: I went with Grant. I believe in his writing. Plus Frank Quitely

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SC  Moderator

@sog7dc said:

@sc: I went with Grant. I believe in his writing. Plus Frank Quitely

Good stuff! Let us know how you like it when it arrives! ^_^

GonnaRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed New X-Men, the cast was awesome, but the art was... well, I simply didn't like it, at all.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

@sog7dc: always worth a shot I guess

I got sold on the oversized first volume of New X-Men by the guy who worked at my old comic shop, even went so far as to say that "these are the only ones you need to read", or something to that effect. It took me a long time to eek through it -would put it down for weeks at a time and come back - and I simply didn't love it. And you are led to believe Quitely does all the interiors but he doesn't. He does like the first 3 issues then one here and there but he's mostly the cover artist. And the art suffers tremendously when he leaves.

I like Quitelt but he's never been consistently on a series I've read with him and it sucks when he leaves so soon like usual as you just get used to his awkward style and then he peaces out. Meh, anyway I would recommend Bendis' current run. I love it. Much better IMO.

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of the first things i ever read. the villian is awesome, read it.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Veshark

Good ideas and really innovative on a whole, but some shaky execution and terrible art at points. It's quite divisive, but I would recommend a read.

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Right there with Bendis and Austen as one of the worst run on the X-Men IMO

QueenCorp15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By QueenCorp15

Besides claremont i think its the best xmen run of all time. With wheedons respectfully 3rd

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have ambiguous feelings towards his run. I really liked the way he tried to do new things, his Weapon X development was impressive and his writing in general was interesting to follow even when I found myself disagree with his direction. With that being said, Cassandra Nova, Sublime and whatever he tried to do with Magneto are totally in my "most hated characters" list. I still don't understand some of his concepts, but this thread is not the right place to spoil I guess. I just was impressed by his writing, the way it was original and detailed. Do I like his ideas? This one for sure - we want something new :)

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#17  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@sog7dc said:

on xmen? was it as awesome as everything else the man writes?

It wasn't as good or definitive as, say, All Star Superman, but it was one of the most original and noteworthy X-men runs.

I feel like by the time it gets to Planet X it gets into some kind of meta, deconstructionist kind of stuff that just isn't very interesting to me, but the first half of his run, fromNew X-Men #114 - E is for Extinction Part One right up to the end of the Murder at the Mansion arc (issue 141) is all really solid stuff that I would call both essential and somewhat groundbreaking. I still personally consider it to be the beginning of the contemporary era of X-men, along with Whedon's (less original, but more consistent) Astonishing X-Men, which serves as something of a sequel.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By John Valentine

One of the best runs of the X-Men ever IMO. The stuff Bendis is doing is pretty good as well though

I agree with the first bit, but I don't think Bendis' stuff can be compared just yet. I like Bendis' stuff, don't get me wrong, but it's just no way near as smart or inventive as what we had 11+ years ago with Morrison.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I can understand why it was a landmark, but it's not my favorite X-Men. I also think that having consistently crappy art was a hindrance.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@peppeyhare said:

I agree with the first bit, but I don't think Bendis' stuff can be compared just yet. I like Bendis' stuff, don't get me wrong, but it's just no way near as smart or inventive as what we had 11+ years ago with Morrison.

I agree with the "just yet" part..

To be fair, when Morrison did New X-Men, the bar had been set a lot lower for quite some time, so that certainly didn't hurt the effect of how fresh and innovative his approach felt. And he had the benefit of being able to write it in a bubble.

I'm still pretty on the fence about All-New X-Men, but I genuinely do feel like the concept and feel of what Bendis is working on inUncanny X-Men has the potential to be just as fresh and distinct as Morrison's work within the context of the larger story of the X-men. Though, as you say, it may just be too early to speculate.

Sinisteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Sinisteri

It is an enjoyable run.

It moved the X-men forward in many ways. The school was outed, and finally filled with a full student body of kids that needed to be there. It put Xavier's dream to the test. Morrison created characters whose actions still resonate today and that have lasted beyond his run. He was also the first writer to use the movie element with the idea of the costume designs.

Despite the cat like metomorphosis of the Beast and the inevitable tragic moment, this run was great and again-- it made changes that took root.

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'm reading it right now, and it's pretty enjoyable. It's weird, but it's very smart. Sometimes, it gets a little too weird, though. But it ultimately resurrected the X-Men from that cesspool known as "the '90s." It is indeed innovative, and the stories are always interesting.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

For X-men, it was good. For Grant Morrisson, it was sub-par.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

One of the best X-runs next to the all-father Claremont. From beginning to end.

xchaix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I may be a little bias here because I started reading the X-men with Grant Morrison's run, but I think he had the best run.