How do you feel about X-Men solo books?

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Poll How do you feel about X-Men solo books? (17 votes)

Love it, give me more solos! 47%
Not for me, I'll stick with the team books 53%

In light of all these X-Related solo books that have come out or will come out (05 Cyclops, Nightcrawler, Storm, Magneto, Wolverine), how does everyone feel about them? I personally am loving each and every one of them, and if we can land some more good creative teams-then by all means give me more! However, I don't think everyone shares my sentiments, I have heard some people say that they dislike all of these solo books and would rather they have the characters stay on their respective teams and have a greater focus on that instead.

What do you guys think?

• 
Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

My only concern is if they can last long. The biggest problem a lot of the X-Men have with maintaining solos(And why they have historically failed to do so) is because besides Wolverine, none of the X-Men really have a mythos beyond the X-Men. Whereas if you take away Wolverine's X Man past, he still has his escapades throughout about a 100 whole years in Madripoor, Japan, the West, World War II, World War, etc. to fall back on. If I take away Cyclop's history as an X-Men?.... We're left with virtually nothing to work with. I just hope that writers can work on establishing interesting mythos for these characters so these solos can lost long. Don't want to get invested in these just to have them be cancelled. Besides that
#LongliveX-Mensolos

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By THUNDERBOLT30

I'm cool with the characters being in both solo and team books. They'll never get the in-depth develop needed to really build them as a character with only being in a team a book with a big cast, so I think for the key X-Men (Wolverine, Storm, Cyclops, Psylocke, Rogue, Nightcrawler, Emma, Gambit,...maybe Jean, etc.) I think soloes are worth trying to do for them because they all have big impacts on the X-Verse franchise.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

I kinda want some of the other X-Men characters to get a ongoing solo. I would love to pick up a CannonBall series or a X-Man( Nate Grey).

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IMO solos are unnecessary and further water down and convolute things. Just tell the story in the team books. I could even deal with 4 issue mini's if there's a need to tell a side story. I just think things are getting a bit ridiculous with all these solo's. Especially when we are talking about the XMEN- denoting more than one.

Djainess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I kind of like the ongoing solo's, but I think they're not necessary, so no vote for me I guess...

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Instead of a bunch of solo's I actually would like to see team books released more often. This way more stories could be told and maybe some of the problems with pacing could be eliminated

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

IMO solos are unnecessary and further water down and convolute things. Just tell the story in the team books. I could even deal with 4 issue mini's if there's a need to tell a side story. I just think things are getting a bit ridiculous with all these solo's. Especially when we are talking about the XMEN- denoting more than one.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I tend to prefer solo books over team books. More focus on character development and less on action a lot of the time. There hasnt been a history of solo mutant books doing too well. What I've read of Magneto I really like and it seems like the young Cyclops book has a good hook.

Tohoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer team books.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

needs a jean grey solo, she doesnt get respect like other o5 x-men. Also i wouldnt mind if teen jean gets a 5 issue solo, she can like stop crime by herself. Although in avx 0 hope summers used to snaek off utopia and rough up some bad guys by herself. :)

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

I voted for solo books since I do love the fact that we can learn about this one character in that title, but it all depends on what story is being told and whether or not that character can hold up their own titles. Like everyone has mentioned, they had tried to do various solo titles with other X-Men characters, but only Wolverine seems to be the most successful since he's got a storyline from before he met the X-men while everyone else was pretty much introduced into the X-Men.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

My only concern is if they can last long. The biggest problem a lot of the X-Men have with maintaining solos(And why they have historically failed to do so) is because besides Wolverine, none of the X-Men really have a mythos beyond the X-Men. Whereas if you take away Wolverine's X Man past, he still has his escapades throughout about a 100 whole years in Madripoor, Japan, the West, World War II, World War, etc. to fall back on. If I take away Cyclop's history as an X-Men?.... We're left with virtually nothing to work with. I just hope that writers can work on establishing interesting mythos for these characters so these solos can lost long. Don't want to get invested in these just to have them be cancelled. Besides that

#LongliveX-Mensolos

This is pretty much how I feel about it (though I think you could say the same about Magneto, too)

I guess that's why Cyclops' book is being set out with the Starjammers, who were always a weird fit in the X-men mythos to begin with: it's kind of the only other thing he's got.

Anyway, that said, I do think that any character can be interesting on their own, in the right story, or with the right writer. I'm just inclined to be less interested with X-men characters doing so because so much of what I like about most of them is how they play off each other.

Beyond that, I sort of hate to generalize since any story can be good or bad regardless of whether it's a solo perspective or an ensemble cast.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler:

BotA seemed like a O5 solo series becuase everyone was after them especiallly with teen scott and jean running away. :)

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: Yeah, I don't think that when Stan Lee created the X-Men the we're thinking of solos more than the team and interactions the united cause would bring. It kind of shows in the characters IMO even today.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@oldnightcrawler: Yeah, I don't think that when Stan Lee created the X-Men the we're thinking of solos more than the team and interactions the united cause would bring. It kind of shows in the characters IMO even today.

well, reading Stan Lee's X-men makes it seem like Xavier was the main character and the X-men were kind of his sidekicks, but I know what you mean. Each incarnation of the team had a specific dynamic, and each character a role in that dynamic.