#1 Posted by HAWK2916 (2601 posts) - - Show Bio

I see quite often on this board where people are coming up with their own versions of X-teams and it seems sometimes Cable is left out. Personally I always struggle to find a place for him. I mean there is Xforce which is the role he always in but sometimes I wonder about all the Askani teachings and whether that's just been abandoned.

When I think of Xforce I think of a team possibly run by Cannonball (not that ridiculous Uncanny stuff we have now) or even Cyclops (since imo that's what a revolution should be about. kinda redundant to have Uncanny Xmen be revolutionary then have Xforce as well) but Cable doesn't really come up.

Don't get me wrong I like him ok. But honestly I'd much rather he take a few of the current characters not being given any pen and go back to his future timeline forming a new team there or even form a team that just travles to dystopian futures to fight/correct them. I just think his character has gotten a bit stagnant and I still cant believe that he was left out of AVX (imo X-sanction doesn't count)

So I guess ultimately Im asking how do you feel about Cable? like him, love him, hate him, want him dead or retired? Your thoughts?

#2 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8935 posts) - - Show Bio

never liked him. But he is far from my most loathed Marvel character

#3 Posted by bigtewell (857 posts) - - Show Bio

I always liked cable but i feel they dont do anything new with him. its like he has an awesome design and they dont want to mess it up but i think its just what he needs

#4 Posted by nerdSmokeja (27 posts) - - Show Bio

i dont know what to think about cable. i wanna say he's gotten too friendly but thats probably normal given he's been around these characters so long now. i remember cyclops being weary of his attitude, now he's like whatever

#5 Edited by Chapmar (280 posts) - - Show Bio

I miss the cartoon version of cable XD

#6 Posted by Emequious_Swerve (1302 posts) - - Show Bio

I always thought he was one of the worst X-characters to have been created. He was created at the point in time when "super soldiers" were huge in the movie industry (Terminator, Robocop) and embodies lots of things wrong with early 90's comic characters (cyborg, huge muscles, big guns...blame Liefield). His backstory is unnecessarily convoluted, I could honestly just do without him altogether.

#7 Edited by Squares (8661 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawk2916 said:

I see quite often on this board where people are coming up with their own versions of X-teams and it seems sometimes Cable is left out. Personally I always struggle to find a place for him. I mean there is Xforce which is the role he always in but sometimes I wonder about all the Askani teachings and whether that's just been abandoned.

When I think of Xforce I think of a team possibly run by Cannonball (not that ridiculous Uncanny stuff we have now) or even Cyclops (since imo that's what a revolution should be about. kinda redundant to have Uncanny Xmen be revolutionary then have Xforce as well) but Cable doesn't really come up.

Don't get me wrong I like him ok. But honestly I'd much rather he take a few of the current characters not being given any pen and go back to his future timeline forming a new team there or even form a team that just travles to dystopian futures to fight/correct them. I just think his character has gotten a bit stagnant and I still cant believe that he was left out of AVX (imo X-sanction doesn't count)

So I guess ultimately Im asking how do you feel about Cable? like him, love him, hate him, want him dead or retired? Your thoughts?

People don't generally put Cable on those teams for a multitude of reasons, some of which are that he works poorly in groups (even, arguably, ones that he's leading) and functions better on his own, nobody really knows exactly what he does or what he's capable of due to the fact that we haven't been reliably told what his powers are, and the fact that he's not actually that popular.

Cable not participating in AvX can be attributed to several reasons- reasons like the fact that he actually doesn't seem all that concerned about the X-men as a whole, let alone the Avengers. And I agree with you that X-Sanction doesn't count.

To be honest, I dislike Cable. At least he's not a total asshole to everyone all the time anymore...

#8 Edited by adamTRMM (3457 posts) - - Show Bio

He is of that Marvel characters I find hard to decide if I like or dislike them. I've started reading Cable & Deadpool lately and I kinda enjoyed his Savior state. I'm far from finishing the series and I still have to see how he's written as a regular Cable, but in other runs I don't really enjoyed the regular state. Well, first of all it is such a waste, in terms of how potentially powerful he could be without a t\o virus, but then it's kind of giving him an edge over other multiple "tp\tk'iks", because of knowing how powerful he could be and how strong his will if he managed to prevail even without these powers, just using his skills and basic weaponry. Still, I find myself not really caring for his stories, maybe that's because I don't like time travel, or I dislike his image of "typical 90s anti-utopia future looks with this ridiculous future guns", or maybe the stories are just that bad.

#9 Posted by Veshark (9360 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually like his design and the concept of the character - sort of like dystopian Captain America. But I find that he doesn't really have that many quality stories for readers who want to get into the character (well, the Messiah Trilogy comes to mind, I guess).

#10 Posted by phisigmatau (671 posts) - - Show Bio
@chapmar said:

I miss the cartoon version of cable XD

yup...

#11 Edited by oldnightcrawler (5264 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Cable alright, but not especially.

I like that he trained the New Mutants to be X-force, but I liked X-force more when they no longer needed him. I liked the stories of him training Hope, but I don't really like Hope beyond that. I like that he sort of brought Domino into the X-men, but Domino's actually more interesting than he is. I liked Cyclops and Jean spending their honeymoon raising him in the future, but that had more to do with liking Cyclops, really. Basically, if there's a good reason for him to be in a story, I can dig it; but I wouldn't be interested in reading a book just because he's in it.

I've never really liked him as an X-man, mostly because his origin is so contrived and convoluted. I don't dislike him as much as I dislike, say, X-man or Hope, but I dislike that he's contrived in sort of that same way. I do think it's kind of interesting that people will say that Cyclops or Storm or any of the older X-men should have retired by now, but no one ever calls for Cable's retirement, despite that he should be much older than most of those characters.

I guess I do like a lot of what his influence has been on the overall mythology of the X-men, but I still wouldn't care if I ever saw him again, since, like Xavier, a lot of the most interesting things about him are what his influence on the other characters has been; so I guess I think his legacy is more interesting than his character.

#12 Posted by Stefano (373 posts) - - Show Bio

I like him and I’m excited he might appear on a X-Force movie

#13 Posted by MatteoPG (1950 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the way he looks and talks and behaves. But he's a product of one thing I hate about superhero comics: too much time travel. Cable has used time travel so many times to make it sound and look relatively easy to obtain, which leads (in my head) one to wonder why they don't fix the big stuff with time travel all the time. I know they say that it may mess up the space-time continuum, but it is still used randomly for some problems and not others.

So, Cable I like, but I would love to have a similar character that isn't continously chasing himself through time or coming and going randomly.

#14 Posted by FWACATA (8 posts) - - Show Bio

Cable is a sore reminder of how BAD comics got back in the day. Now that being said, there were some interesting thing here and there with the Deadpool series way back and then later with Uncannny

#15 Edited by gendry (6 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Cable and Hope and hope to see theMessiah storyline in the x force film.

#16 Posted by TheAmazingImmortalMan (4573 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Cable. He isn't one of my favorites but I think the problem with people putting him on a team is that he really isn't much of a team player. Lately he has been nicer and easier to work with but even his current X-Force is full of outsiders/loners.

P.S. I count X-Sanction as part of AvX...

#17 Posted by Dayvid3 (915 posts) - - Show Bio

He's one of my absolute favorites, but they don't use him very well. Often for events and then killing or dissapearing him. They don't know what to do with. Cured him of his t-o virus, then made up a reason right away to cripple him up with a metal arm again

#18 Posted by The_Goddess_of_Chaos (325 posts) - - Show Bio

@dayvid3 said:

He's one of my absolute favorites, but they don't use him very well. Often for events and then killing or dissapearing him. They don't know what to do with. Cured him of his t-o virus, then made up a reason right away to cripple him up with a metal arm again

ikr cable cant get a break. they should have just forget about the whole metal arm thing

#19 Posted by Dayvid3 (915 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_goddess_of_chaos: Yeah and to add insult, as the result of him being cured he not only relost his arm he lost an eye!

#20 Edited by HAWK2916 (2601 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah it just makes me wonder if they might not go full on professor x on him and put him in a wheelchair. I would like to honestly see him take Hope, Forge and Xman and go back to his timeline and possibly have a book based on that. Or even have train and toughen up the Academy X New Xmen as a sort of strike team in a dc suicide squad type role

#21 Edited by fodigg (6211 posts) - - Show Bio

My thoughts on cable:

Pros:

• Time travel stories have been bread-and-butter for X-Men since Days of Future Past
  • Great "straight man" part of a comedy act with Deadpool
  • Good counter-point for Bishop
  • Came into his own when raising the young Hope

Cons:

• Mascot for everything wrong with 90s comics
  • Convoluted backstory
  • One of too many Summers family spinoff characters (e.g., Rachel, Ruby, Nathan, Nate, Stryfe, Hope)
  • Frequently has his powers boosted to the point where they're difficult to manage in a narrative
  • Alt-personality versions—X-Man and Stryfe—remind me too much of Maximum Clonage
  • Teenage Hope Summers kinda sucks

I think he's a decent character but he needs the right hook to not feel out of place. I think making his superpower essentially into "gets visions of impending disasters" is actually perfect for the character. It riffs off his "from the future with dire warnings" core archetype in a way that doesn't directly involve time travel and throws out the problematic OP telekinetic aspects. He's in a good place right now and he's winning me over, but man, there's really nothing you can do to make that backstory less ridiculous.

#22 Posted by russellmania77 (17093 posts) - - Show Bio

He sux

#23 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (82980 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

My thoughts on cable:

Pros:

• Time travel stories have been bread-and-butter for X-Men since Days of Future Past
  • Great "straight man" part of a comedy act with Deadpool
  • Good counter-point for Bishop
  • Came into his own when raising the young Hope

Cons:

• Mascot for everything wrong with 90s comics
  • Convoluted backstory
  • One of too many Summers family spinoff characters (e.g., Rachel, Ruby, Nathan, Nate, Stryfe, Hope)
  • Frequently has his powers boosted to the point where they're difficult to manage in a narrative
  • Alt-personality versions—X-Man and Stryfe—remind me too much of Maximum Clonage
  • Teenage Hope Summers kinda sucks

I think he's a decent character but he needs the right hook to not feel out of place. I think making his superpower essentially into "gets visions of impending disasters" is actually perfect for the character. It riffs off his "from the future with dire warnings" core archetype in a way that doesn't directly involve time travel and throws out the problematic OP telekinetic aspects. He's in a good place right now and he's winning me over, but man, there's really nothing you can do to make that backstory less ridiculous.

I like this breakdown. Co-Signed

#24 Posted by HAWK2916 (2601 posts) - - Show Bio

More cons than pros.

#25 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7684 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty indifferent. But i just don't get the disdain towards 90s stories/comics.

#26 Posted by SummersBlood (34 posts) - - Show Bio

What most people find distasteful about 90's comics happen to be the things I love the most: BIG GUNS, BIG MUSCLES, BIG BOOBS!! Basically, they say, it was the Era of Excess. With those in mind, it's easy to see how Cable would be an easy target; he's got the first two in spades, and I suppose even the third one when his creator, Rob Liefeld saw fit to try to draw Cap. But here's the thing: I love all that stuff!!! I like big action and cool weapon concepts and interesting futuristic tech and Cable had all of that going on. The 90's seemed to be mostly concerned with just having a blast on the page, unlike today's existential writers who think they have cleverly weave biblical imagery into every single story (Hickman) or obsess over dark fascist murderers (Remender).... there was more bombastic fun to be had in the 90's, and while stories sometimes went off the rails, you could never say it wasn't one helluva fun ride!

With Cable specifically, he's just got the coolest, most diverse powerset and skill base in all of comics. God-mode Cable (from Cable and Deadpool) has the the one-two punch of TK and telepathy, which is like Phoenix-level. But even without that, he's the got the tactical skills of Cap, raw fighting ability of Batman, technopathy through the TO virus, sweet future tech of Professor (Ship) and the best arsenal to boot.....what's crazy is that he's kind of over-powered even when he's DE-POWERED!

Yes, his backstory is quite insane, and X-men writers definitely got carried away with the Summers bloodline (look at my user name, and I think you'll see I don't mind this) but I still think Cable is one of the coolest characters in all of comics. My $.02

#27 Posted by KidChipotle (14836 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally like him.

Pretty indifferent. But i just don't get the disdain towards 90s stories/comics.

So much of this.

#28 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5264 posts) - - Show Bio

.... there was more bombastic fun to be had in the 90's, and while stories sometimes went off the rails, you could never say it wasn't one helluva fun ride!

With Cable specifically, he's just got the coolest, most diverse powerset and skill base in all of comics. God-mode Cable (from Cable and Deadpool) has the the one-two punch of TK and telepathy, which is like Phoenix-level. But even without that, he's the got the tactical skills of Cap, raw fighting ability of Batman, technopathy through the TO virus, sweet future tech of Professor (Ship) and the best arsenal to boot.....what's crazy is that he's kind of over-powered even when he's DE-POWERED!

Yes, his backstory is quite insane, and X-men writers definitely got carried away with the Summers bloodline (look at my user name, and I think you'll see I don't mind this) but I still think Cable is one of the coolest characters in all of comics. My $.02

I think some characters, especially in X-men, sort of just work because their back stories are so convoluted and nuts. Wolverine's a textbook example of this, as are characters like Psylocke. For Cable, for what he is, it kind of just makes sense. He's the first child of that world; Cyclops' origin itself is beyond ridiculous, and then he went and had a kid with the clone of his dead girlfriend, because of the machinations of, well, you see where I'm going with this.. it's like Cable's just the right amount of contrived for what he is to the story he comes from.

It's a fine line, and not every character can pull it off and come out with a solid enough thing of their own beyond the contrivances. Characters like X-man or Hope just end up being redundant, because their basically cut from the same cloth, but even more contrived because of it. Whereas a character like, say, Bishop, who seemed pretty redundant at first, developed enough of his own thing, his own role in the story, to still come out as a fairly singular character in the end.

#29 Edited by slimlim (278 posts) - - Show Bio

i would have to say i WANT to like Cable. He's both John Connor and Terminator all in one! The character has a lot going for him. But i think a lot of his charm back in the 90s was the mystery of his identity. there were many not-so-subtle hints pointing the readers in the direction that he is Nathan Christopher Summers. I do wish they would just SIMPLIFY his character though. I understand he's from the future, but he doesn't always need to look so techie. I was excited that he was cured of the techno-organic virus because i thought that the character needed a change. And it was a nice touch that although he got his missing parts back, he cant really use them (yet) coz of atrophy. but his over-the-top bionic arm is ridiculous. Looks like something from Toys R Us... I think they need to scale him back. Make him more. Streamline him. Not just in his appearance but also in his character. I know this term has been used FAR too often, but i would welcome a REBOOT for the character. He's a time traveller. There are countless ways it can be done.