How are feeling about this current BOTA event?

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

So I know we are in the middle of yet another event right now and looking at many different comments I know people have differing thoughts and ideas about it. Here's a few of mine.

First off, I really get kinda miffed at the fact that each issue seems to really move the story along while all through the year many of the writer's stories just dragged. This is the problem I have with all these crossover events. It seems many of the writers will neglect their stories or drag them out all year in preparation for an event and then put out their best work during it, while the rest of the time we get mediocrity.

I know quite a few people are fans of Bendis' All New Xmen, which is really the whole basis for this event. And while I've read the series I have to say that the whole premise is quite ridiculous IMO and really unnecessary. The idea of Beast traveling to the past to bring the O5 to the present, their future, in order to teach Cyclops a lesson is really over the top and ridiculous. I mean if you were going to the past wouldn't it make sense to try and go back and stop Cyclops starting on such a path, like maybe before the move to Utopia in the 1st place? Or if you were going in the past just go get Xavier and bring him back or take a team and go try to force Cyclops to quit the Xmen before all this happened? Or go back and try to prevent the whole thing that started this ( the House of M and Civil War)? The time travel thing has always seemed to be confusing as it is, with the alternate timelines and all and the fact that this seems to be changed is kinda hard to deal with as well. It would have been more understandable and even more profound imo if Beast had, in a quest to change the present, allowed himself to be turned into a doomlok (Cortex -style) and sought to alter the past.

My other issue with this event, is the New/Future Xmen. Over the years we have been given Generation X and the New Mutants, we've also been given the New Xmen. Yet everytime we go into the future it's always about the same old people and then these new morphed creations/version of the same ol' same ol'. What happened to the next generations? If it were Cannonball and Dani and the New Mutants coming from the future to the present, or even the all grown up New Xmen (i.e Surge, Hellion, Anole, Dust, Rockslide, Mercury) coming back to face off against the old, that would be much more interesting and plausible. But the idea of the same old teams/characters coming back and on panel you're having to deal with 3-4 incarnations of the same person is just really hard to deal with. There are plenty of X-characters that get no stories or face time so to speak that can be developed rather than creating newer/different versions of the same people. What about: Warpath, Frenzy, Sage, Blink, Magma, Lifeguard, Danger, Elixir and others?

Its not that the event is not interesting at all, but some of the concepts are just really unnecessary and convoluted for no reason. Some of it has been entertaining but I find myself ready for it to be over. It's getting confusing and ridiculous with all 10 teams running around. One of the issues that comes all the time in discussing ideal teams is that there are so many Xmen and now adding 3-4 different versions of the same characters further hurts the story. As much as I praise Marvel for not going DC's route with all the reboots, I think I've reached a point where that idea is not as distasteful as it once was. Events like this make me wish for a huge retcon or even a reboot.

Just my opinion. Your thoughts?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3255e75dae4
deactivated-5e3255e75dae4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I think the future X-Men are stupid. They should have just went back to stop Beast from bringing the O5 back in the first place. It would have been a lot less complicated.

GonnaRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

It had some potential, but till now it had been horrible and accomplished pretty much nothing. Infinity is doing way better IMO.

But I have to be honest, at least it's not as bad as Age of Wolverine was.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@hawk2916: I do agree with you that "the whole premise (of All-New X-Men) is quite ridiculous IMO (sic) and really unnecessary", but I guess it just doesn't bother me because the stories have, for the most part, actually been really fun.

I wouldn't say it's a direction that I'm especially interested in seeing the X-men go in; but I have enjoyed the stories, and that's the main thing. Almost every issue of All-new' has been fun, All-New X-Men Special #1 was really well done, the "O5"'s appearances in other books have been fun, and.. yeah, I'd say overall (though I skipped part 5) Battle of the Atom has, at least, been pretty fun.

It is kind of stupid when you think about it, it's overly complicated, and it's not one of the great, classic X-men stories. But it is fun.

I also totally agree with your point about the future X-men, but I guess I can see why, for such an already convoluted story, they wouldn't want to further confuse what's going on by introducing another whole teams worth of characters when they can make the same story points without using more obscure (even if they shouldn't be) characters.

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's beyond terrible. This event should be call Dialogue of the Atom.

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's quite fun. really fun. I mean it has been a good venue to make truce with unsettled issues between different characters

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i hated the recent all-new x-men 17 issue......knowing that wasnt wroth it...just more confusing sub plots

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

@hopesummersforthefuture: Not sure I feel about another future X-Men runing around. We got the past, present and 2 futures X-Men. Future Jean X-Men is not the X-Men.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

I decided to pass on it.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Wolverine008

Passed.

Eclipse-32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Eclipse-32

Man, it's getting hard to go along with it. It's rather frustrating. I just wish they would get the results over with, put the Original 5 back in their proper time and give Cyclops the punishment he deserves.

Robert2928

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Robert2928

I enjoyed All New X-Men although the premise behind the story is...well...lol

Battle of the Atom is fairly interesting however I'm not sure where it is going anymore. Now there are 3 Icemans, or icemen lol I'm waiting until the end to give my final thoughts to see if everything comes together but until then I'm enjoying it.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By AgeofHurricane

Not good. This has the potential to be the worst X-Over in X-History.

It's really sad that fans are still falling for Marvel's money-making schemes.

Dayvid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it. I'm not a fan of time travel and the gist of it, but I like how it's written mostly. It's not your typical crossover with lots of extra issues that have nothing to do with the storyline. It's very focused.

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I enjoy it, but it is lagging.

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

too much twists. I Think bendis thought toooooooo much about this. i get s tiring

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I like it. Will be better in trade format.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

I like All-New X-men, but this whole BOTA stuff is boring the hell out of me.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I feel like we keep getting the same cliffhanger again and again. I like it more when I pretend it's a rebooted Exiles book, though.

Hanson724

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After this I'm only going to read Uncanny and even then I'll skip event issues. Better to just wait til the reviews after its over and buy a trade at discount.

kid Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so where i live there is literally NO COMIC SHOP. i wont get a chance to pick up any books til December. could someone be very kind and tell me which characters are in these future X-men teams? ive seen some picks but im utterly lost

Blacharrt1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Blacharrt1

@hawk2916: I have said this before that BOTA concept is convoluted and doesn't make much sense at all. Also the way Bendis has screwed up the whole alternative timeline thing for marvel just made it worst. They never should have gave him Age of Ultron. But yeah as you said which i agree with the Whole beast going back in the past, made no sense at all. Also that they could have used the future versions of the younger generation x-men, and they missed that opportunity to regurgitate the same x-men over and over again.

No Caption Provided

It's shameful, and a complete missed opportunity, and lazy writing altogether. But i have learned that this is Bendis MO. I am not a fan of his at all, and i came into his book with an open mind and he ruined it.

SummersBlood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blacharrt1: You can certainly blame Bendis for Age of Ultron and the O5 being in the present via All New X-Men, but BoTA is Jason Aaron, the king of lazy writing, through and through. Granted, I'm sure Bendis has been able to put his stamp on it, but it started out as Aaron's idea.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're both equally at fault for this.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The current X-Men being sh%t per usual.

Rickbarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If this event had a face, I'd punch it.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol super-punch

No Caption Provided

this Psylocke is probably Wolverine JR in disguise. that would also explain the next cover of bota which has wolvie jr on the cover

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And I'd hand you the brass knuckles.

I want this event to be good but we are 7 parts in and I feel like the momentum is kind of flat-lining.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm starting to dig it.

Avatar image for turel_hash_ak_gik
turel_hash_ak_gik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it's good. a little slow. idk why people are complaining.

Avatar image for the_goddess_of_chaos
The_Goddess_of_Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler:

its should have been 8 or 7 or 6 issues long....what with the sub-plots???

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler:

@turel_hash_ak_gik said:

its should have been 8 or 7 or 6 issues long....what with the sub-plots???

well, I dunno. I'm skipping Aaron's chapters, so that's only 8 chapters then. Otherwise it's just the books I'm reading anyway. I dunno where this whole idea that you have to read every chapter of a crossover to enjoy it came from, but it's very rarely necessary in my experience.

tomasmaclgh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hopesummersforthefuture: Are you from the future?

I'm not the biggest fan of time travel. And we have A LOT of time travel here. So I 40% like it and 60% don't.

I just don't understand why the fake X-Men went back to the present. Dazzler can't die.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hopesummersforthefuture: Are you from the future?

I'm not the biggest fan of time travel. And we have A LOT of time travel here. So I 40% like it and 60% don't.

I just don't understand why the fake X-Men went back to the present. Dazzler can't die.

lol it think i might be or maybe i just got psychic powers...lol XD

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#35  Edited By batmannflash

I think it's moving slow, but I like it a lot. I'm a little biased towards X-Men stories, though.

It's sad to see that other people dislike it, but whatever. It's honestly my favorite event, which actually says something because I love all the events right now (Infinity, Forever Evil, and Lights Out)

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People complain because they want new stories, new directions. THIS is the same story from a different (and not so great) look, nothing really new, nothing that brings our beloved X-men to a new, interesting future. How ironic.

turel_hash_ak_gik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm: and when has this happened before? when has there been such a huge collision of past, present and future x-men plus future x-men villains?

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By adamTRMM

@turel_hash_ak_gik said:

@adamtrmm: and when has this happened before? when has there been such a huge collision of past, present and future x-men plus future x-men villains?

Let's face it, there are too many time-travel stories, doesn't matter how you categorize them, what matters is the concept, which is far from being new. How many times were the X-Men used in a time-travel story? Way too many, don't you want something fresh, something that still wasn't used like thousand times? Something that is more than "just" fun.

turel_hash_ak_gik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm: so this hasnt been done before, you're just mad it's a time travelling story. what? you want bleak and dark? go read one of the thousand batman books. i am tired of bleak and dark book, i want fun, you know, how comics used to be before the dark knight movie. plus this one has a future that doesnt seem to have mutants on the brink of extinction so that's plus to me.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

It is fun and that's what i need this moment from the Xmen "Fun" because lately the franchise has became too serious and dark.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By adamTRMM

@turel_hash_ak_gik said:

@adamtrmm: so this hasnt been done before, you're just mad it's a time travelling story. what? you want bleak and dark? go read one of the thousand batman books. i am tired of bleak and dark book, i want fun, you know, how comics used to be before the dark knight movie. plus this one has a future that doesnt seem to have mutants on the brink of extinction so that's plus to me.

I'm not mad, I'm disappointed. This story is not serious, not necessary and not giving me what I want and why I love my X-Men, simple. I just hate how "they" make fun of what X-Men represent and I feel like they don't really know what to do anymore. The whole universe is at war, while the X-Men are cleaning their own sh*t, again and again. Don't get me wrong, this is not about their involvement in the Infinity crossover. This just about my favorite franchise is going nowhere. And you know what, when somebody blows up a bus full of children, that story gotta be serious.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

arent you one of those people?

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ageofhurricane said:

arent you one of those people?

And why would that be?

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@rickbarry said:

lol super-punch

No Caption Provided

this Psylocke is probably Wolverine JR in disguise. that would also explain the next cover of bota which has wolvie jr on the cover

This was my favorite part!^

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

I like it so far .

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for the_goddess_of_chaos
The_Goddess_of_Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ageofhurricane: your usually complaining about a event

lol i still dont get messiah complex......what was with maddox and layla going into the future thing all about