Gambit and Wolverine

Ascended

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ascended

Does anyone here feel that Gambit is at least on par or above Wolverine in terms of fighting and battles, but the only thing that always makes Wolverine victorious in the end is due to being indestructible and his healing factor, something which Gambit doesn't have?

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@ascended said:

Does anyone here feel that Gambit is at least on par or above Wolverine in terms of fighting and battles, but the only thing that always makes Wolverine victorious in the end is due to being indestructible and his healing factor, something which Gambit doesn't have?

sure. Gambit's been shown to be able to beat Wolverine when his healing factor was maxed out (The Uncanny X-Men #273), being just as quick, far more agile, and not having the type of resilience that Wolverine's fighting style depends on.

Ascended

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: So how come they never show Gambit's true skills and abilities on a big screen in animation or a movie? They always make him afraid of Wolverine or something.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ascended: if I were Gambit, I'd be afraid of Wolverine. The guy's relentless; one lucky shot might take him out, but he'll come back every time, and he only needs to get you once to ruin your life or end it.

Gambit's defeated Wolverine in the Danger Room, a non-lethal scenario and when his healing factor was maxed out; while this does highlight his speed and skills (because of how great Wolverine's supposed to be), in a real fight Gambit would be stupid to risk it if he could at all avoid it. And he's not supposed to be stupid either.

As to why he hasn't been featured as much in other media, I think it has to do with Gambit's polarizing nature among especially long term fans. When Gambit was still a new character he wasn't especially popular among fans of the comic, in fact, he wasn't even meant to be likable, really, since the original plan was to have him eventually betray the team.

But a lot of the gimmicky design of the character made him a good candidate for the X-Men: The Animated Series, which is really where he first became especially popular, to the chagrin of many fans of the comic prior to that show. Since then, Gambit's star rose and fell with a whole generation who consider him one of the classic members, while many who knew him and the X-men before the cartoon see him as a somewhat contrived, redundant, b-list plot device who was given more characterization because of his popularity outside of the comics.

Personally, back in the 90's, I never cared for Gambit that much, and I disliked him even more for stealing the spotlight from characters like Nightcrawler or Kitty Pryde who were more central to what I liked about the X-men. Of course, now I think he's great. Maybe it's nostalgia, or maybe it's all the stories he's been in since then, but I do really like him now and even consider him one of my favorites; I just also remember when and why I didn't, and I imagine it's that polarizing nature of the character that has kept him from becoming more popular overall.

Ascended

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ascended

@oldnightcrawler: In the x men origins: wolverine video game, when Logan found Remy in new orleans, Gambit was giving Wolverine one hell of a fight before he could tell Wolverine where Victor Creed was.

And there's also an animated episode on youtube that shows Gambit being fearless toward Wolverine when he was running his mouth before Rogue broke them up.

So why should Gambit be afraid of Wolverine again especially when you even agreed that he has his skills too?

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ascended said:

@oldnightcrawler: In the x men origins: wolverine video game, when Logan found Remy in new orleans, Gambit was giving Wolverine one hell of a fight before he could tell Wolverine where Victor Creed was.

And there's also an animated episode on youtube that shows Gambit being fearless toward Wolverine when he was running his mouth before Rogue broke them up.

So why should Gambit be afraid of Wolverine again especially when you even agreed that he has his skills too?

because he's also supposed to be smarter than the way he's portrayed in video games and cartoons, and Wolverine's one of the most dangerous and relentless men alive.

Do you have a specific example in mind, though?

Ascended

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ascended

@oldnightcrawler: his skills - I meant Gambit has wolverine's skills on him too, in fights.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@ascended said:

@oldnightcrawler: his skills - I meant Gambit has wolverine's skills on him too, in fights.

Gambit has skills, for sure, but that doesn't mean he's stupid enough to want to fight Wolverine if he didn't have to.

I meant did you have an example of him actually being afraid of Wolverine, though.

Ascended

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ascended

@oldnightcrawler: What I'm saying is that Gambit could be on par with Wolverine or above him in fights (and I don't know either is true or not), but why should Gambit run away from him or fear him if he can give Logan a good fight? I'm trying to figure out if Gambit is actually Wolverine's equal except the healing factor, that's all.

"I meant did you have an example of him actually being afraid of Wolverine, though."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKR24kDXGb8

11:09-11:15

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By THUNDERBOLT30

Interesting question. I like Gambit more than Logan but I think,based on comic showings, wolverine is a more skilled and accomplished fighter than Gambit.

When written to capacity Logan's skills rival and possibly surpass some of the top tier on earth (Iron Fist, Shang Chi, Captain America, Black Panther, etc).

Remy is more mid to high-mid tier in terms if skill and accomplishments (On par with but may slightly be above Black Widow, Silver Sable; on equal or so footing with Nightcrawler, etc.).

Even factoring in their powers, though I like Remy's abilities more, Logan's is more advantageous in battle and let's him contend beyond his weight class.

Ascended

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ascended

@thunderbolt30: Many like me could say that Logan's only advantage over Remy is his healing factor and being indestructible. There have been comic fans saying that Remy is the more skilled fighter while Logan is the stronger fighter.

Neglecting origins: wolverine, I want to see an actual wolverine/gambit fight on the screen one day. I hope it gets to happen sooner than later.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ascended said:

@oldnightcrawler: What I'm saying is that Gambit could be on par with Wolverine or above him in fights (and I don't know either is true or not), but why should Gambit run away from him or fear him if he can give Logan a good fight? I'm trying to figure out if Gambit is actually Wolverine's equal except the healing factor, that's all.

"I meant did you have an example of him actually being afraid of Wolverine, though."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKR24kDXGb8

11:09-11:15

Gambit's a pretty different character in that cartoon than he is in the comic.

But, yeah, while Gambit might be on par with him in terms of fighting skill, he's nowhere near him in terms of surviving a fight between the two, which is itself a good reason to avoid such a confrontation.

Ascended

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ascended

@oldnightcrawler: That's because of Wolverine's superb healing factor, I think if you take that away from Logan, Remy would beat him from time to time.

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ascended said:

@thunderbolt30: Many like me could say that Logan's only advantage over Remy is his healing factor and being indestructible. There have been comic fans saying that Remy is the more skilled fighter while Logan is the stronger fighter.

Neglecting origins: wolverine, I want to see an actual wolverine/gambit fight on the screen one day. I hope it gets to happen sooner than later.

I respect those fans (and your) opinions of course. I just don't think it is supported by how they are portrayed in comics in terms of their over all skill.

In the animated cartoon series or the Wolverine movies I can see why some would have that impression, since Gambit is shown to be the more finessed, cunning, and technical in combat vs Wolverine being portrayed as the brash bruiser most of the time (though TAS and WatX did have episodes that highlighted Logan's martial arts skill to a degree).

It's a much different story in comics.

On the big screen - Personally I'd like to see Gambit take on Belladonna and the Assassin's Guild. This would really highlight Remy's training and mastery of Savate, the bo-staff, fencing, his natural charm, and being a master thief.

Ascended

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ascended

@thunderbolt30: I imagine Wolverine has a much better healing factor than Captain America, Spider man, and the rest of the X-men team does. Something about his adamantium body tells me that unless you have a plan to control/manipulate the mechanics in his body, you will lose to him in a real fight. The only person who I know has that capability is Magneto. But I also do know Gambit can charge Wolverine's adamantium claws too, and have been wondering what would happen if that ever happened.

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HushoftheWind
THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ascended said:

@thunderbolt30: I imagine Wolverine has a much better healing factor than Captain America, Spider man, and the rest of the X-men team does. Something about his adamantium body tells me that unless you have a plan to control/manipulate the mechanics in his body, you will lose to him in a real fight. The only person who I know has that capability is Magneto. But I also do know Gambit can charge Wolverine's adamantium claws too, and have been wondering what would happen if that ever happened.

Even with his healing factor quite a few of the X-Men (Storm, Psylocke, Rachel Grey, Iceman, and Magik for example) would have little to no problem beating Wolverine.I also recall Spiderman webbing him up with his fists stuck to the side of his head so he couldn't cut himself free (an incapacitation win if you will). You don't need to have Magneto's abilities in order to beat him.

Wolverine is also as skilled and possibly more so than Captain America in physical combat, so I don' think he needs a healing factor to win there either.

If Remy charged Logan's claws (or even his uniform technically) I think the explosion would definitely hurt and could KO Logan for a bit. But Remy would have to be within Wolverine's reach to do that :-/...I think the odds would favor Wolverine coming out on top.

Avatar image for timelordscience
TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Ascended

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ascended

@thunderbolt30: Then why does the comic book have Remy and Logan getting the best of each other at various times?

And plus, if Gambit is suppose to be on par with Wolverine in physical combat, then why did Gambit lose to Captain America in Avengers vs. X-Men?

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@hushofthewind said:

I'm surprised @wolverine08 hasn't lumbered in here yet lol

@wolverine08 is too busy gloating on @humanrocket's bachelor thread :p

He's like the comic Wolverine...always busy on some other team or some other thread to make an appearance.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By kidchipotle
THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By THUNDERBOLT30

@ascended said:

@thunderbolt30: Then why does the comic book have Remy and Logan getting the best of each other at various times?

And plus, if Gambit is suppose to be on par with Wolverine in physical combat, then why did Gambit lose to Captain America in Avengers vs. X-Men?

Personally, I think Cap should have been Ko'd or at least stunned by Gambit blowing up his uniform on him. AvX Vs had some ridiculous PIS in some of their match ups.

Responding to your question - Gambit is not on par with Wolverine in physical combat. Gambit lost to Captain America because he was tougher and is a superior fighter.

Ascended

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Ascended

@thunderbolt30: The problem I have with is that in the Origins: Wolverine video game, Gambit was giving Logan a hard time when they were fighting in New Orleans. And people say that the game did better than the movie did and Gambit put up a much better fight in the game than in the origins movie.

And comic book gambit > animated gambit > movie gambit according to some comic fans on here.

Taking my first statement and combine it with the second one, I have comic book gambit > video game gambit > animated gambit > movie gambit.

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ascended said:

@thunderbolt30: The problem I have with is that in the Origins: Wolverine video game, Gambit was giving Logan a hard time when they were fighting in New Orleans. And people say that the game did better than the movie did and Gambit put up a much better fight in the game than in the origins movie.

And comic book gambit > animated gambit > movie gambit according to some comic fans on here.

Taking my first statement and combine it with the second one, I have comic book gambit > video game gambit > animated gambit > movie gambit.

100% agreed on the bold. I think Gambit is a formidable, agile, and cunning fighter and should give Logan a hard time. And I agree that he was much more impressive in the game than in the film. I still like Kitch's characterization of Gambit in the Origins movie but he definitely didn't have the level of skill and cunning that we get from Gambit in other media.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By Wolverine008
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ascended said:

@oldnightcrawler: That's because of Wolverine's superb healing factor, I think if you take that away from Logan, Remy would beat him from time to time.

well, that's what I said in my first example.