From where do I start?

Spiderfan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hi, I have been a marvel fan for 6 months (specifically spider-man) and yesterday I subscribed in Marvel Unlimited. X-Men seem cool and all but I don't know from WHERE do I start as there are too many titles and I don't know what is the main one and from where do I start. Do I start from the very first (issue 1 from 1963)? or can someone give me a certain point where I can start from?

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spiderfan21: The books from the 60s are extremely outdated and can be hard to get through. You could start at Giant Sized X-Men #1 and read starting at X-Men #95 and forward from there....you might find that stuff a little antiquated as well but it is the material that made the X-Men what they are today...the most memorable and recognizable characters, concepts and story lines all predominantly come from there.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well what's your goal with X-Men?

Do you want to catch up to the recent stuff as soon as possible?

In which case I suggest you read Bendis' Uncanny X-Men v3, Wood's X-Men v4 and at least the first arc of All New X-Men

Do You want to read the entire modern Era of X-Men comics?

In which case I'd start from Morrison's New X-Men, move on to Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, then go to the Messiah Complex event and continue on through Fraction's Uncanny run starting at Uncanny X-Men #500 until it ends and Gillen's run begins which will take you up until the beginning of Bendis' Uncanny run and the other recent stuff.

Do you want the modern classics?

Davids X-Factor

Morrison's New X-Men

Kyle and Yost New X-Men

Kyle and Yost X-Force

Astonishing X-Men by Whedon

New Mutants V3

Uncanny X-force by Remender

Gillen's Uncanny X-Men

And All New X-Factor

Or do you want all the real classics?

The first five on the previous list.

Claremont's Uncanny X-Men

Claremont's New Mutants (there's a writer change to look out for but its mostly classic)

X-Factor v1 1-74

Excalibur v1 by Clarmont(see a pattern?)

Age of Apocalypse (debateable)

and one or two of the short but awesome 90's arcs that I don't know off the top of my head....

But if your trying to become an expert....

Good luck...

Spiderfan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spiderfan21: The books from the 60s are extremely outdated and can be hard to get through. You could start at Giant Sized X-Men #1 and read starting at X-Men #95 and forward from there....you might find that stuff a little antiquated as well but it is the material that made the X-Men what they are today...the most memorable and recognizable characters, concepts and story lines all predominantly come from there.

I found a reading order and in the reading order after Giant Sized X-Men #1 there is X-Men #94 so do I start from #94 or #95?

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found a reading order and in the reading order after Giant Sized X-Men #1 there is X-Men #94 so do I start from #94 or #95?

Yeah. 94. 94 and 95 is the first issues Claremont writes though he didn't plot it, important stuff still kind of happens in it.

Spiderfan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

Well what's your goal with X-Men?

Do you want to catch up to the recent stuff as soon as possible?

In which case I suggest you read Bendis' Uncanny X-Men v3, Wood's X-Men v4 and at least the first arc of All New X-Men

Do You want to read the entire modern Era of X-Men comics?

In which case I'd start from Morrison's New X-Men, move on to Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, then go to the Messiah Complex event and continue on through Fraction's Uncanny run starting at Uncanny X-Men #500 until it ends and Gillen's run begins which will take you up until the beginning of Bendis' Uncanny run and the other recent stuff.

Do you want the modern classics?

Davids X-Factor

Morrison's New X-Men

Kyle and Yost New X-Men

Kyle and Yost X-Force

Astonishing X-Men by Whedon

New Mutants V3

Uncanny X-force by Remender

Gillen's Uncanny X-Men

And All New X-Factor

Or do you want all the real classics?

The first five on the previous list.

Claremont's Uncanny X-Men

Claremont's New Mutants (there's a writer change to look out for but its mostly classic)

X-Factor v1 1-74

Excalibur v1 by Clarmont(see a pattern?)

Age of Apocalypse (debateable)

and one or two of the short but awesome 90's arcs that I don't know off the top of my head....

But if your trying to become an expert....

Good luck...

I don't understand... sorry :/ as I am new at this X-Men stuff

@spiderfan21 said:

Yeah. 94. 94 and 95 is the first issues Claremont writes though he didn't plot it, important stuff still kind of happens in it.

ok but after that? There are so many X-Men titles but I need certain issues and stuff but necessary ones, because I am trying to get into the modern stuff but I think I am way behind

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle said:

@spiderfan21 said:

ok but after that? There are so many X-Men titles but I need certain issues and stuff but necessary ones, because I am trying to get into the modern stuff but I think I am way behind

Just worry about the main Uncanny X-Men stories from 94 until about issue 300, with some mini series and spin offs thrown in there. If you want to read modern day X-Men stuff...that is a whole different animal altogether. You would have to start with Uncanny X-Men vol.3 #1

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EC2277
@spiderfan21 said:

Hi, I have been a marvel fan for 6 months (specifically spider-man) and yesterday I subscribed in Marvel Unlimited. X-Men seem cool and all but I don't know from WHERE do I start as there are too many titles and I don't know what is the main one and from where do I start. Do I start from the very first (issue 1 from 1963)? or can someone give me a certain point where I can start from?

In theory yes, you should start with the first issue from 1963 (at least did in this way) and .

The stories wrote by Lee are very dated, but the following are better and the last are good. If you have Marvel Ulimited, you can try to read them (should be been uploaded in the Marvel site) and if you dislike them, you can star with Giant Size X-Men and after X-Men 94.

Ah, If you will read the very first issue you have to know that the stories of "X-Men hidden years" are positioned between X-Men 66 and Giant Size X-Men. So the order is X-Men from 1 to 66, X-Men hidden years, Giant Size X-Men and again X-Men from 94; the issues of X-Men from 67 to 93 are reprint of the previous issues.

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started with New Mutants v1 from Claremont, there is a writer change, but it is to Louise Simonson who is astounding. Then I did Uncanny X-Men (1963) from #95 - 300. Then I did Excalibur v1, from 1-30. Then I did New Mutants v2 into New X-Men (my second favorite next to New Mutants v1). Then Kitty Pryde and Wolverine. Then Gillen's Uncanny, and Aarons WatX (skip the stupid circus and AvX arcs). Then Aaron/Yosts Amazing X-Men, Davids ANXF, and Woods run on XX-Men

Spiderfan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Spiderfan21

@cattlebattle: the problem is, I don't know ANYTHING that happened, so I won't understand a lot.

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh and Simonson's run on X-Factor is great too. Just avoid anything done by Liefeld. I complain about Bendis, but Liefeld...... oh man.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

im sick of these where do i start threads. we get one every month, why dont you look it up in the search?????

Spiderfan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spiderfan21: ok anyways i like all-new x-men by bendis that is current and it explains some things from the past especially vol 1 numbers 1-5

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba149167b2c0
deactivated-5ba149167b2c0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can honestly pick a series at random. Your own curiosity will more than likely lead you to read about what is most intriguing to you.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: the problem is, I don't know ANYTHING that happened, so I won't understand a lot.

Thats OK. You can start reading wherever and then put the pieces together or read the older stuff simultaneously reading the new stuff. A lot of the older stuff gets retconned anyhow. It's just that the material from the 1980s is where all the ideas that shaped the X-Men into what they are came from.