Favorite incarnation of the X-Men?

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

There has been many, but which one is your favorite?

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The 1975-1991, Earth 616 X-Men. Arguably...they are the same characters as the current X-Men, but everybody knows they are really not :)

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X-Treme X-Men

Outback Team

ANAD Team

AmazonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AmazonWarrior

I love storms team of xtrme x-men, and anything with Emma frost.....but it has to be when they were the blue and gold teams.

Notes:

Wolverine replaced sabertooth at some point

Colossus joined the team(s) along with banshee.

The only person missing was nightcrawler.

No Caption Provided

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2004- 2008 incarnation. Pretty much everybody that was ever an X-Man was living at the mansion during this period (minus Jean & Xavier) and pretty much all the A-listers had a good storyline running in one book or another.

They had 4 or 5 different teams, Cyclops was leading the group as a whole and Emma was taking care of the vast student body.

The books just felt comfortable

Selina_Sublime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Selina_Sublime

New X-Men/X-Treme X-Men with X-Corp making sporadic appearances.

Uncanny at the time featured pretty much all of my least favorite characters so its largely ignorable.

2nd place: Ultimate Comics: X-Men Utopia crew.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By waezi2

I dig the original 5(mostly because of Parker's X-Men First Class)

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The late 70s-early 80s lineup (Cyclops, Wolverine, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Banshee, Phoenix, and Storm).

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

The late 70s-early 80s lineup (Cyclops, Wolverine, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Banshee, Phoenix, and Storm).

They are my second choice.

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Spideysense44

Early 80s

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#11  Edited By oldnightcrawler
1. Classic X-men
1. Classic X-men

1. Storm's early 80's team will always be my fave'.

2. Cyclops' Astonishing X-Men is a close second.

3. the early 90's Blue/Gold overlapping lineups were pretty good, had a lot of my favorite characters, and both books were pretty solid sharing the two squads.

Also really liking Cyclops' Uncanny team and Storm's current X-Men; both great teams.

2. Astonishing X-men
2. Astonishing X-men

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
KittyParker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

Definitely my favorite.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

The Astonishing team oldnightcrawler mentioned is probably my favourite.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@xwraith said:

to me that's the late 70's line-up;

early 80's would be: Storm, Kitty, Woverine, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Rogue, Rachel, sometimes Cyclops, and sometimes Magneto (which, to me just had a more interesting group dynamic).

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blue/Gold and Utopia before Schism.

Drizzle1030

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazonwarrior: am i the only person??who misses the blue and gold team?? I just noticed the blue team has one flyer and the rest non flight mutants. While gold has one non flyer in the group.. and the rest are air borne.. iceman on his sled counts as something. Since he is in the air as well

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazonwarrior: am i the only person??who misses the blue and gold team?? I just noticed the blue team has one flyer and the rest non flight mutants. While gold has one non flyer in the group.. and the rest are air borne.. iceman on his sled counts as something. Since he is in the air as well

Bishop couldn't fly. Forge also was actually considered a member of the Gold team if I recall.

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Definitely the Ultimate X-Men during their time in Utopia.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By adamTRMM

No contest:

eXtinction Team:

• Namor, King of Atlantis
  • Storm, Queen of Wakanda
  • Hope Summers, the Messiah
  • Magik, the Helllord
  • Juggerlossus, the Avatar of Cyttorak
  • Magneto, nuff said
  • Danger, one of the most advanced AI on Earth
  • Emma Frost, the White Queen
  • Cyclops, the leader of mutant race
No Caption Provided

Simply, such incarnation, like all the most beautiful things was rare and short-lived, and I don't foresee anything like this to happen again soon.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@adamtrmm said:

No contest:

eXtinction Team:

No Caption Provided

Simply, such incarnation, like all the most beautiful things was rare and short-lived, and I don't foresee anything like this to happen again soon.

I really wanted to like this team; I loved the high-profile of the team, and I loved most of the main characters. It could have been one of the most interesting line-ups ever.

Unfortunately it never felt like we got enough character interaction between the members for any sort of really memorable group dynamic to gel. They were just kind of around for a while and then they weren't; it's kinda too bad.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really wanted to like this team; I loved the high-profile of the team, and I loved most of the main characters. It could have been one of the most interesting line-ups ever.

Unfortunately it never felt like we got enough character interaction between the members for any sort of really memorable group dynamic to gel. They were just kind of around for a while and then they weren't; it's kinda too bad.

Well, what I found really exciting was also TOO MUCH for Cyclops to handle, just think about all the unstable members to say the least, besides Storm, there was no one to be clearly heroic, even Colossus wasn't, not in that state at least. All the firepower, they outclassed most incarnations of Avengers easily, and the direction Gillen was taking them into, was clearly satisfying for Cyclops for that period of time, when his main goal was to be a statement, a massage to the world, "just look at us very carefully, YOU should want us to be your friends" and that was exciting and very unusual approach to take for the mainstream comics, an approach of belligerence and dominance. And to my perspective, for mutants it was about damn time.

To be honest, it's not like the were really given the time for developments, we are talking about just 3 arcs before AVX, one of which was a complete waste of time and had some of the worst character moments as well, in places where I expected much, much more. He shouldn't have taken Remender's concepts, when he wasn't even going to continue long enough on the title himself. Character developments I liked: Colossus/Magik, I don't think I need to specify why, when even Scott Snyder had the only time writing for Marvel, and wrote about those two! Seems like even other company's architect found something that needed to be resolved between them. Scott/Namor/Emma, just because I wanted Scott to finally lose control.

I didn't like Gillen's Magneto, absolutely. He was watered down both in gravitas and power-wise, the interactions with Storm and Psylocke were ok, but nothing more, when his every intercommunication should be explosive, maybe besides Storm whom I believe he can somehow see as his equal or just respect in general. He has past with her, both of Raspitins, Namor and even with Emma, how him being around the "Mutant Messiah" was never developed? Or struggling the idea of his failures where Scott have succeeded. But, yeah, there was simply no time for none of that, even for the love-triangle to take the more interesting course than its simple existence.

On of the biggest missed opportunities in overall. :(

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jdhaddad1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The 1975-1991, Earth 616 X-Men. Arguably...they are the same characters as the current X-Men, but everybody knows they are really not :)

this

chiq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By chiq

@adamtrmm said:

No contest:

eXtinction Team:

• Namor, King of Atlantis
  • Storm, Queen of Wakanda
  • Hope Summers, the Messiah
  • Magik, the Helllord
  • Juggerlossus, the Avatar of Cyttorak
  • Magneto, nuff said
  • Danger, one of the most advanced AI on Earth
  • Emma Frost, the White Queen
  • Cyclops, the leader of mutant race
No Caption Provided

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone else?

Drizzle1030

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: and i forgot bout colossus, i mean Forge was around.. but i never considered him blue or gold.. just storms love interest and someone to talk to Banshee

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By Cloakx14
No Caption Provided

this right here.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I REALLY like what Marvel's been doing with the X-Men in recent years.

And I also LOVE Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men. That one is probably the best.

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By Manchine
No Caption Provided

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: and i forgot bout colossus, i mean Forge was around.. but i never considered him blue or gold.. just storms love interest and someone to talk to Banshee

I believe he was relegated to "support staff" or some crap like that, which was sad, considering he was pretty interesting at the time. He appeared a lot more in the Uncanny title then he did in the adjective less book.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By oldnightcrawler

and i forgot bout colossus, i mean Forge was around.. but i never considered him blue or gold.. just storms love interest and someone to talk to Banshee

yeah, the Gold team was really Storm, Jean Grey, Archangel, Iceman, Colossus, and Bishop,

the Blue team was Cyclops, Wolverine, Beast, Gambit, Rogue, and Psylocke.

Xavier, Banshee, Forge, Jubilee, Revanche, and Sabretooth were all around at the time, but never really on either team.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Drizzle1030

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: i considered them seat fillers.. the xmen is disbanded lets have banshee and forge find them.. the xmen needs something.. let use forge to create it.. which was weird cuz you had beast.. Revanche was a good twist.. i loved X-Men issue 20.. too bad the writer didnt do his homework and butchered her story.. the biggest thing that always got me was lady mandarin fighting wolverine. . As he is cutting her mask off he says you're. Face... Psylocke?? I considered jubilee on the blue team tho.. where everyone wanted to baby her psylocke and wolverine vouche for her... sabretooth was wolverine seat filler since logan left after his claws was ripped out..and sabretooth came in... wolverine came back and victor killed psylock and left

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: i considered them seat fillers.. the xmen is disbanded lets have banshee and forge find them.. the xmen needs something.. let use forge to create it.. which was weird cuz you had beast.. Revanche was a good twist.. i loved X-Men issue 20.. too bad the writer didnt do his homework and butchered her story.. the biggest thing that always got me was lady mandarin fighting wolverine. . As he is cutting her mask off he says you're. Face... Psylocke?? I considered jubilee on the blue team tho.. where everyone wanted to baby her psylocke and wolverine vouche for her... sabretooth was wolverine seat filler since logan left after his claws was ripped out..and sabretooth came in... wolverine came back and victor killed psylock and left

well, Sabertooth really only went on two missions or the team (The Uncanny X-Men Annual #18 and Phalanx Covenant), and neither of them was with either squad.

Jubilee I associate more with the blue team, but I don't think she was actually a member of either until around '92 or '93, at which point the squads switched members frequently and Jubilee had become a central character in both books.

I agree with you about Forge and Banshee though. When they rebuilt the team, it sort of made it seem like it should have been them who'd taken over after Xavier (instead of Magneto, who Xavier was trying to give a noble purpose to), especially Banshee. But when Xavier and the the original team came back, it basically made these roles superfluous.

Pizzaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a tie. ANAD X-Men and the Classic X-Men.

amonahanart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By amonahanart

Classic Uncanny Xmen (1970's-1990's)

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Grant Morrison's New X-Men.
Grant Morrison's New X-Men.

X-Men: The Animated Series.
X-Men: The Animated Series.

Mark Millar's Ultimate X-Men--I actually think it's pretty underrated.
Mark Millar's Ultimate X-Men--I actually think it's pretty underrated.

And, of course, Chris Claremont's Uncanny X-Men.
And, of course, Chris Claremont's Uncanny X-Men.

FrostMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Astonishing X-Men (Cyclops, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, Beast, Wolverine, Colossus and Lockheed)

Chris Claremont's pre-Mutant Massacre (Cyclops, Phoenix, Storm, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Banshee, Kitty Pryde, Angel, Rachel Summers, Rogue)

And... The Original Five (Cyclops, Iceman, Angel, Beast, Jean Grey)

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Astonishing X-Men (Cyclops, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, Beast, Wolverine, Colossus and Lockheed)

Chris Claremont's pre-Mutant Massacre (Cyclops, Phoenix, Storm, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Banshee, Kitty Pryde, Angel, Rachel Summers, Rogue)

And... The Original Five (Cyclops, Iceman, Angel, Beast, Jean Grey)

Very good choices. I'd go for this and probably early 90s Blue/Gold teams too.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Astonishing X-Men