Examples of Allegory

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By batshrine

Hey! So I am trying to compile examples of X-Men being an allegory of social issues. I was wondering if you could help me with posting comic pages, or video clips of the such? And if you see something that isn't an allegory but a direct commentary that works too!

And to make it fun, if you have anything that actually says the contrary that would be great too!

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By batshrine

anybody?

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By AgeofHurricane

Kinda had to look the word up, and with that said, isn't Kurt and allegory for/of...Christianity ? Or devout faith ?

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By batshrine

lol so an allegory tends to be a story that reflects something else or has a hidden meaning, usually for moral or political purposes. So Kurt isn't an allegory for Christianity, he is actually a devout Catholic. What Kurt is a good allegory for:

He is obviously a mutant as opposed to other mutants who can hide it. This could mean he is a minority that is judged by skin color as opposed to minorities who can pass as white. Or how some gay guys are flaming and obvious and easy targets while others are still in the closet or not as effeminate. OR you can even say that Kurt represents how he doesn't fit societies terms for beauty and is ostracized for it.

Silver_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By Silver_Raven

I don't have the scan but i know where it is. Check the last pages of New Mutants #45, written by Chris Claremont. It was a great issue talking about the suicide of a mutant who couldn't face a life as an "out" mutant. And Kitty's speech in those final panels carries such a powerful message that ties mutant struggles with racism and homophobia.

A very awesome scene from X2 would be when Mystique and Nightcrawler chat about fitting in by appearing "normal" and she tells him they shouldn't have to. Great line, sums up Mystique's POV perfectly with just a few words and is very poignant for all types of people who don't "pass" as male, white, straight, cisgender or non-disabled in society.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

lol so an allegory tends to be a story that reflects something else or has a hidden meaning, usually for moral or political purposes. So Kurt isn't an allegory for Christianity, he is actually a devout Catholic. What Kurt is a good allegory for:

He is obviously a mutant as opposed to other mutants who can hide it. This could mean he is a minority that is judged by skin color as opposed to minorities who can pass as white. Or how some gay guys are flaming and obvious and easy targets while others are still in the closet or not as effeminate. OR you can even say that Kurt represents how he doesn't fit societies terms for beauty and is ostracized for it.

With explanations like you just gave... why do you need our help!? :P

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@silver_raven: Ooo!! Thanks I'll check it out!!!

@papad1992: Cause I know the characters, but I want the storis!

Gotcha. I'd make something up... it'd be easy enough to since u know the characters. Instead of doing a ton of research! Is this for a paper or something of the sort!?

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

being gay is like being a mutant.

mutant and proud=gay and proud

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papad1992: It's for a class that I am collecting about comics and subliminal messaging. But the thing is I want concrete examples, so while I can say Nightwing struggles with his looks, I would love a good story showing that.

Omegafrost182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Omegafrost182

Is it like Emma struggling being good even though she knows she is bad? Even though she changed her ways the title "White Queen" will never go away and the evil stayed with her?

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

The legacy virus=80s/90s AIDs hysteria

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

This is true, i think its a more general "anything different" though then just gay. To begin with i highly believe alot of the book was based off the racist struggles in america, with Prof X and Magneto representing Malcom X and MLK Jr. It has after that kind of evolved (get what i did there) to represent anything in society that is different and being treated so, gay, black, a certain religion, or another race or anything else for that matter ;D

Ultra_beleco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry to burst your bubble but we don't come with superpowers...too bad hun? :P

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points