Does Claremont's X-Men hold up?

Spideyfan3160

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Spideyfan3160

I want to read Claremont's X-men run but i recently read the New Teen Titans and didn't like it as much as i thought i would. so i was wondering if Claremont's X-Men run held up or if it is dated.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spideyfan3160: Its very wordy, but yes, I think it holds up pretty well. Comics are very different these days so if you are used to the modern way of storytelling you won't probably like it. I think its always better to look back at Claremonts run with admiration, as he was very progressive for his time and most of his ideas and characters are still being recycled in the X-books today.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quality wise, definetly stands up.
But as said, the style used is slightly dated.

If your looking to sit through the whole run you may just need to be in the mood for before hand. Other wise just look for particular saga's or a group of issues.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

Hell yea it does, is it wordy? Hell yea, does the worlds paint the glorious picture that helped to mold the landscape of our marvelous mutants today? Yes sir it does!

I am a big fane of Claremont, and excited about the new nightcrawler series coming out under his pen and I am sure it will be just as wordy as he was in the day, still if you want some good X stories and back when Storm's mohawk meant something, Go read his books! Enjoy them, and fill like you got your money worth.

<-- Team Claremont

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

Yes. I read the first five years of his run last fall and I found it very enjoyable.

Spideyfan3160

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Spideyfan3160

Alright thanks guys I think I'm going to pick up his nightcrawler series then see. In the mean time may pick up remender's X-force.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

Yeah, it still holds up very well. The only thing that might be troubling about his run is how wordy it is, but the stories are still pretty fresh and inspirational.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By poisonfleur

@spideyfan3160: Its very wordy, but yes, I think it holds up pretty well. Comics are very different these days so if you are used to the modern way of storytelling you won't probably like it. I think its always better to look back at Claremonts run with admiration, as he was very progressive for his time and most of his ideas and characters are still being recycled in the X-books today.

Couldn't have said it any better myself^
Yes. verry wordy-- although all those words really created the foundation of all the characters you see today.
In short-- He is a legend for establishing so much and being Original about it.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By poisonfleur

@mcklayn said:

Hell yea it does, is it wordy? Hell yea, does the worlds paint the glorious picture that helped to mold the landscape of our marvelous mutants today? Yes sir it does!

I am a big fane of Claremont, and excited about the new nightcrawler series coming out under his pen and I am sure it will be just as wordy as he was in the day, still if you want some good X stories and back when Storm's mohawk meant something, Go read his books! Enjoy them, and fill like you got your money worth.

<-- Team Claremont

AND YES!^ Lifedeath & Fall of Mutants (Storm without her powers) has to be one of (if not) my favorite X-men arca-- EVER. Seriously how Storm never landed a solo series based off those stories will forever be a mystery. I miss Storm and Yukio. :(