Yay for Dodson boobs!

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#3 god_spawn  Moderator

I can dig it. I really do like Coipel's artwork. He's one of my fave in Marvel. But Dodson is great himself. Lopez to me is solid too, but I wouldn't say he is one of best.

ragdollpurps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Yesss, I loved Lopez's art on Wood's previous X-Men run and Dodson draws a babelicious Betsy.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

Coipel's still my favorite out of that bunch (and kind of in general), but I'm really excited to see David Lopez coming back.

I like Dodson a lot, but I do wonder if he might be a bit too cheesecake for this book..

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Interesting sidepoint: the guys on CBR unleased so much hate on Dodson's art to the point Brian Wood posted comments defending Dodson.

briancwood: Yeah, that was a shock when I logged in to read this. Suddenly the book's a failure. And no one here knows to what extent Terry is even working on the book, aside from one cover. I said it to the haters early on, and I'll say it to the haters now: can you not just wait and judge the actual book on its merits? ('Course not)

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting sidepoint: the guys on CBR unleased so much hate on Dodson's art to the point Brian Wood posted comments defending Dodson.

briancwood: Yeah, that was a shock when I logged in to read this. Suddenly the book's a failure. And no one here knows to what extent Terry is even working on the book, aside from one cover. I said it to the haters early on, and I'll say it to the haters now: can you not just wait and judge the actual book on its merits? ('Course not)

what were CBR's criticisms?

TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

@oldnightcrawler said:
@thegreyoutcastx said:

what were CBR's criticisms?

Pretty much that Dodson makes cheesecake characters, and the irony that they would put him on an all women X-book. But note: that I meant forum posters on CBR, not any bigwig.

Here if you want to take a look yourself.

http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?453913-Dodson-to-take-over-from-Coipel-on-X-Men

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thegreyoutcastx: man, that is pretty harsh.

Dodson is pretty cheesecakey, but he's still a good artist. He may not interest me as much as Coipel or Lopez, but he is really good.

TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: I mean I understand why people may be disappointed by Dodson's art or the fact that he is now gonna be on rotation with Lopez art wise, but the level of hostility lobbed at the man was just....I was more amazed by that fact than by Coipel only on for 3 issues. Land and Liefeld I get, but Dodson doesn't deserve all the hate.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: I mean I understand why people may be disappointed by Dodson's art or the fact that he is now gonna be on rotation with Lopez art wise, but the level of hostility lobbed at the man was just....I was more amazed by that fact than by Coipel only on for 3 issues. Land and Liefeld I get, but Dodson doesn't deserve all the hate.

No, he really doesn't.

As for Coipel, I'm actually not that surprised; I think Marvel knows he's an ace in the hole, so they probably want to be able to have him on more than one book, doing fill-ins for key issues (like Uncanny Avengers #5, which felt like it was coming from the same context as House of M because of his presence) and stuff like that. I do hope they bring him back at some point, though; he's probably my favorite right now.

TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thegreyoutcastx said:

No, he really doesn't.

As for Coipel, I'm actually not that surprised; I think Marvel knows he's an ace in the hole, so they probably want to be able to have him on more than one book, doing fill-ins for key issues (like Uncanny Avengers #5, which felt like it was coming from the same context as House of M because of his presence) and stuff like that. I do hope they bring him back at some point, though; he's probably my favorite right now.

Definitely agree with ya on Coipel. His art is so fantastic that Marvel isn't wrong for having him more around various titles. But that doesn't mean that I am not a little disappointed that he wasn't sticking around for more than 3 issues.

Rickbarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Rickbarry

Anyone think Brian Wood is losing his mind over this book? I noticed him freaking out early on about the backlash people (like they do with every book) had about the roster. Now he's logging on forums and getting into it with people. While it's hilarious that they've pushed him to this point...someone monitor this guy's blood pressure.

TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone think Brian Wood is losing his mind over this book? I noticed him freaking out early on about the backlash people (like they do with every book) had about the roster. Now he's logging on forums and getting into it with people. While it's hilarious that they've pushed him to this point...someone monitor this guy's blood pressure.

I am a tad worried. I think it's partly due all the negative comments (basically all the people saying they would drop it after Coipel's issues were done), but then again, the X-Boards on CBR are highly opinionated ( that's my nice way of putting it).

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely agree with ya on Coipel. His art is so fantastic that Marvel isn't wrong for having him more around various titles. But that doesn't mean that I am not a little disappointed that he wasn't sticking around for more than 3 issues.

Yeah, X-men is one of the books I'm most looking foreword to right now, so him being on it was a big plus.

But honestly, I'd check out any book that had Coipel as (even a fill-in) artist, so it probably is a lot smarter for them.

Rickbarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Rickbarry

@rickbarry said:

I am a tad worried. I think it's partly due all the negative comments (basically all the people saying they would drop it after Coipel's issues were done), but then again, the X-Boards on CBR are highly opinionated ( that's my nice way of putting it).

Oh, I'm sure it's all about the negative comments. It's human nature to focus on what's wrong instead of what's right, but I've never really seen anyone go out of their way to get into with folks on the forums anywhere. Pressure must be mounting.

And yeah. I've ran into a few people there. The Kitty Pryde group are especially annoying.

TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thegreyoutcastx said:

Yeah, X-men is one of the books I'm most looking foreword to right now, so him being on it was a big plus.

But honestly, I'd check out any book that had Coipel as (even a fill-in) artist, so it probably is a lot smarter for them.

As much as I like Coipel's work, I still would have get the book regardless of him being the opening arc artist. Wood's been killing it on Ultimate X-Men and his last X-Men run was pretty good.

TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thegreyoutcastx said:
@rickbarry said:

Oh, I'm sure it's all about the negative comments. It's human nature to focus on what's wrong instead of what's right, but I've never really seen anyone go out of their way to get into with folks on the forums anywhere. Pressure must be mounting.

And yeah. I've ran into a few people there. The Kitty Pryde group are especially annoying.

That was the best thing about Brian Wood. His willingness to talk with fans on the forums about his work. But that seems to also be a bad thing as he was so quick to get into it with fans. But Brian will get out of that unscathed.

I can't make myself make an account just cause I can't deal with all the hate that comes from those boards. Hence why I prefer Comicvine.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

This makes me less excited :(

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thegreyoutcastx: yeah, Wood's run on X-men last year was just so especially refreshing. They'd have to give him some pretty bad artists for me not to be pretty interested, and luckily, that's the opposite of what's happening.

TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_: I know, I know. Having Coipel long term would have been exciting, but things happen. Should still be a fun read. :)

@oldnightcrawler: Yep, only good things on the horizon for Wood's X-Men.

Rickbarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thinking about Brian Wood angry makes my eyes rain.

TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rickbarry said:

Thinking about Brian Wood angry makes my eyes rain.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

(Late to the party, but still)

Lol. I can't with the exacerbated Dodson backlash. I mean i can, as quite a few people didn't take a liking to his work during Fraction's nightmare coupled with Land, but i still can't. I don't get it.

Maybe it's cause i'm actually a fan of his work--even wanted him to do some fill-in issues for last year's Adjectiveless as opposed to Boschi--or that i'm a Brian Wood proponent. It's all just been blown out of proportions. Sue me, but it's the "cheesecake objectification of his women" that appeals to me, i mean this isn't Liefield, Land, Bobillio or Cho (imo) who illustrate "unattractive" females, each time i've seen them anyways--it's Dodson.

Anywho, Lopez is the headliner after Coipel for which i'm MORE than grateful for, and of course, Brian Wood's writing with Dodson coming in for an arc towards the end of the year. Couldn't really ask for more tbh.

P.S. CBR forums never fail to remind me of why i could never willingly make an account with them. I'm too young to be suffering from chronic PTSD.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Also happy for Wood, taking a more respective approach to the fan/writer relation as opposed to some self-proclaimed "top" writers.

Ultra_beleco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Ultra_beleco

@mercy_ said:

This makes me less excited :(

2. I had high hopes from this book!

Avatar image for x_seraphangelon
X_Seraphangelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rickbarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rickbarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Rickbarry
papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By papad1992

I wish this book would bring Marrow back. She'd be soooooooo much fun to read.

Oooh... that'd be interesting!

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rickbarry said:

I'd love to see Marrow interacting with this crew, but it's a bit hard to imagine Storm including her.

but if Wood could come up with a good reason for her to be there, I'd love to see it..

tomasmaclgh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

Sucks that she was de-powered :(
Maybe she can be re-powered...

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papad1992 said:

@rickbarry said:

I'd love to see Marrow interacting with this crew, but it's a bit hard to imagine Storm including her.

but if Wood could come up with a good reason for her to be there, I'd love to see it..

Maybe apart of the new Sisterhood!?

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New Sisterhood? is that a thing?

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By papad1992

@papad1992 said:

New Sisterhood? is that a thing?

Yeah, Lady Deathstrike is bringing a new Sisterhood of Evil Mutants with her.

(I've heard).

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I guess this is good news...
I was ALL about Coipel, He was perfect! But Lopez can't do any wrong.. ever. His last run with Wood gave Storm a whole new dimension-- Making her more serious, mysterious, and gave her this element about her where you had to keep your eye on her because you didn't know what she was up to. unfortunately, I didn't care much for his Psylocke.
Dodson, is alright. He makes Storm look very regal and Queen-like. I don't exactly remember is version of Rogue or Psylocke.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@papad1992 said:

@rickbarry said:

Yes--- I am all for Marrow being on Storm's team. It's been a long while since she ripped her heart out. LOL

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#40 god_spawn  Moderator

@poisonfleur:

I don't exactly remember is version of Rogue or Psylocke.

No Caption Provided

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just really hope Dodson doesn't go overboard and do full throttle cheesecake with the characters. Sexy and gorgeous are one thing, gratuitous poses and unzipped jackets to the navel is another. Still -- my hopes remain high.

And that cover is gorgeous. Catrina-inspiration FTW.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YAYYYYYYY!!! I LOVE DODSON!

impossibilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I am all for Dodson drawing anything, especially X-Men.

GonnaRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By GonnaRain

Dodson is awesome, just like Coipel. X-Men surely has quite a good creative team working on it. I just wish the same could be said about UXM, 'cause, even if I kind of like Bachalo's art, I prefer Coipel or Dodson way more.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Dodson is awesome, just like Coipel. X-Men surely has quite a good creative team working on it. I just wish the same could be said about UXM, 'cause, even if I kind of like Bachalo's art, I prefer Coipel or Dodson way more.

Not a fan of Bachalo. I find his art way too hard to decipher what's going on.

Avatar image for ellie_knightfall
Ellie_Knightfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

:(

GonnaRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By GonnaRain

@john_valentine said:

@gonnarain said:

Not a fan of Bachalo. I find his art way too hard to decipher what's going on.

Completely right, sometimes it's quite hard to understand what's going on. I'm not a complete fan either but I don't dislike it. His art could be described as "cute", "cartoonish", and UXM, even with the funny bits, is a more serious book, and the art does not fit it that well.

Some of the incredibly awesome panels present in the recent issues of UXM, like when Team Cyke teleported inside of S.H.I.E.L.D's helicarrier would've been way more epic if illustrated by the hands of Coipel, Dodson or Immonen.

Irving's art is certainly not cartoonish like Bachalo's, but his faces are weird as f..., and I really dislike it.

tomasmaclgh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Irving's art is certainly not cartoonish like Bachalo's, but his faces are weird as f..., and I really dislike it.

Irving's art for that story was the right choice. Limbo is weird as f.... Darkchild was excellent. In my opinion, the art was amazing.

Dodson's art, specially Psylocke, is great, no complains here.
There's something that throws me off in the way Lopez draws faces, and I don't know what is exactly.

GonnaRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By GonnaRain

@tomasmaclgh said:
@gonnarain said:

Irving's art for that story was the right choice. Limbo is weird as f.... Darkchild was excellent. In my opinion, the art was amazing.

Dodson's art, specially Psylocke, is great, no complains here.

There's something that throws me off in the way Lopez draws faces, and I don't know what is exactly.

I agree that his art somewhat suited the Limbo's arc. The overall scenery was quite good, and agreed that Darkchilde looked amazing. But the problem I've with the faces is not just that they seemed weird, but simply awful. The expressions were horrible for the most part, his Emma looked like an old woman, he did her hair like a helmet, and overall I just didn't like his take on the Uncanny team.

His Dormmamu was ok.