Posted by JakeN7 (11574 posts) 6 months, 14 days ago

Poll: Do you want Magneto to grow his hair back? (26 votes)

Yes! He looks too much like Lex Luthor 58%
No! It's cool, he looks like Lex Luthor now 15%
I don't care, and why are you talking about Lex Luthor? 27%
"Beware my luscious locks"
"Couldn't recognize me? I got a haircut"

#1 Posted by God_Spawn (37595 posts) - - Show Bio

No. I think bald Magneto looks badass.

#2 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4423 posts) - - Show Bio

I really can't see why anyone would care about this one way or the other.

#3 Posted by JakeN7 (11574 posts) - - Show Bio

People can complain about costumes but not about hairstyles? Would you care if Nightcrawlers iconic hair were changed to a 70's style afro?

#4 Posted by UrbanChill (221 posts) - - Show Bio

No bald headed badasses are in

#5 Edited by Wolverine08 (40815 posts) - - Show Bio

Is that Jae Lee art for the top picture?

#6 Edited by Roddy010 (5195 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think he looks like Lex Luthor. It's a nice change for Mags and it's pretty neat they went that direction with his character. If Storm can shave her head in recognition of her new era why couldn't Max?

#7 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11323 posts) - - Show Bio

YES. I hate the bald look. This "tribute to Charles Xavier" thing is sooooooo lame.

#8 Posted by JakeN7 (11574 posts) - - Show Bio

@roddy010 said:

I don't think he looks like Lex Luthor. It's a nice change for Mags and it's pretty neat they went that direction with his character. If Storm can shave her head in recognition of her new era why couldn't Max?

Max? Erik Lensherr. His kids last names are Maximoff, but that's the only thing I can think of that would relate to Max.

Is that Jae Lee art for the top picture?

Yup, yup, sure is.

#9 Posted by Wolverine08 (40815 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7: Ah, thanks man. The pic does look sweet.

#10 Edited by JakeN7 (11574 posts) - - Show Bio

Now, I've decided I can live with him being bald, but why does he look like a 30 year old bodybuilder now? Seriously bro, where some sleeves please. Keep the white though. Purple and red is silly.

@jaken7: Ah, thanks man. The pic does look sweet.

I dig it

#11 Posted by Roddy010 (5195 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7: Magneto's birth name is Max Eisenhardt. Its been that way since his origin to my understanding.

#12 Edited by JakeN7 (11574 posts) - - Show Bio

@roddy010 said:

@jaken7: Magneto's birth name is Max Eisenhardt. Its been that way since his origin to my understanding.

Ah, I'm sure you call Wolverine "Jim" too.

#13 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4423 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7 said:

@oldnightcrawler said:

People can complain about costumes but not about hairstyles? Would you care if Nightcrawlers iconic hair were changed to a 70's style afro?

People can complain about whatever they want, I just find some complaints more pointless than others. That Magneto has a shaved head isn't that crazy, lots of characters are bald, it was already explained in the story (because characters always have to explain getting haircuts, I guess?) and now I just don't notice.

if Nightcrawler grew an afro, that would seem more random and maybe warrant more of an explanation, but it couldn't be worse than his mid-90's soul-patch look. But that was a totally random thing too; at least with Magneto shaving his head it makes some sense: lots of older men shave their heads, and for him it's not even just a practical or aesthetic thing, but a reference to both Xavier and his origin in the concentration camps, so two of his most defining relationships that, together, visually overlap to highlight the duality of his character.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I do like it..

@jaken7 said:

Max? Erik Lensherr. His kids last names are Maximoff, but that's the only thing I can think of that would relate to Max.

@roddy010 said:

His name was originally Eric Magnus, then it was revealed to be Eric Lensherr, then it was revealed to be Max Eisenhardt, all of which he's gone by (as well as Micheal Xavier for a time), so really they're all his name.

Notice how he never corrects anyone if they call him Max or Eric or even Magnus? It doesn't matter to him, he's Magneto.

#14 Posted by JakeN7 (11574 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7 said:

@oldnightcrawler said:

People can complain about whatever they want, I just find some complaints more pointless than others. That Magneto has a shaved head isn't that crazy, lots of characters are bald, it was already explained in the story (because characters always have to explain getting haircuts, I guess?) and now I just don't notice.

if Nightcrawler grew an afro, that would seem more random and maybe warrant more of an explanation, but it couldn't be worse than his mid-90's soul-patch look. But that was a totally random thing too; at least with Magneto shaving his head it makes some sense: lots of older men shave their heads, and for him it's not even just a practical or aesthetic thing, but a reference to both Xavier and his origin in the concentration camps, so two of his most defining relationships that, together, visually overlap to highlight the duality of his character.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I do like it..

See? Now doesn't that make more sense that people would care? You said it yourself, it's not pointless. Also, I think you've convinced me.

@jaken7 said:

@roddy010 said:

His name was originally Eric Magnus, then it was revealed to be Eric Lensherr, then it was revealed to be Max Eisenhardt, all of which he's gone by (as well as Micheal Xavier for a time), so really they're all his name.

Notice how he never corrects anyone if they call him Max or Eric or even Magnus? It doesn't matter to him, he's Magneto.

Ah! Interesting. Thanks for the info. I knew about Magnus and Lensherr and that's it. Why so many names?

#15 Edited by McKlayn (1073 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7 said:

@oldnightcrawler said:

nightcrawler shaved his head once in Excalibur the 90's series i think it was with Kitty Colossus and Pete Wisdom in it. Looked kind of cool, but yea lol

#16 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4423 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7 said:

See? Now doesn't that make more sense that people would care? You said it yourself, it's not pointless. Also, I think you've convinced me.

alright, you got me there. It's not as pointless as Nightcrawler's soul-patch..

Ah! Interesting. Thanks for the info. I knew about Magnus and Lensherr and that's it. Why so many names?

Stan Lee named him Eric Magnus in the style of several 60's villains (Victor Von Doom, Otto Octavius, etc) because it sounded like/referenced his mutant name. The revelation that Lensherr was his actual name was I think an attempt by Claremont to make him sound less ridiculous and more like a real person. And I think the Max Eisenhardt name came from when Joseph was around and writers were toying with the idea that there had been two Magnetos for longer than previously revealed (possibly to imply that the villain Magneto and the X-man Magneto had always been two different characters) that ultimately went nowhere, but ended up being adopted by later writers of his origin as a way to marry all the versions of the character.

#17 Posted by JakeN7 (11574 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7 said:

alright, you got me there. It's not as pointless as Nightcrawler's soul-patch..

Stan Lee named him Eric Magnus in the style of several 60's villains (Victor Von Doom, Otto Octavius, etc) because it sounded like/referenced his mutant name. The revelation that Lensherr was his actual name was I think an attempt by Claremont to make him sound less ridiculous and more like a real person. And I think the Max Eisenhardt name came from when Joseph was around and writers were toying with the idea that there had been two Magnetos for longer than previously revealed (possibly to imply that the villain Magneto and the X-man Magneto had always been two different characters) that ultimately went nowhere, but ended up being adopted by later writers of his origin as a way to marry all the versions of the character.

I just read up on it. Apparently it goes like this: (note that this is from some opinionated Magneto expert.)

"Kirby and Lee never gave Magneto a name, nor did they give him a backstory.

Claremont gave him the name "Magnus" and Nicieza gave him the name "Erik Lehnsherr" and attempted to falsify Holocaust history and Magneto's Jewish identity at the same time.

In 1998, it was revealed that "Erik Lehnhserr" is not Magneto's real name. It is a forged name that he took, in order to search for his wife Magda, who had abandoned him, and to hide from the KGB.

Now, "Erik Lehnsherr" is his name as far as the Marvel Universe is concerned. It's an assumed name, but one that Magneto has been using for many years.

Max Eisenhardt is his birth name. His real name. And he is a Jew. I love the name Max Eisenhardt, and it is perfect for the boy that Magneto once was. Heroic amidst horror, an ordinary boy who had to become extraordinary. It is also a secret name, that Mags will never reveal to anyone.

So, like I said in the Magnus Family folder, Magnus is one of his assumed names, and he calls himself "Magnus" and many in the Marvel Universe call him Magnus. The HOUSE OF M was the "House of Magnus." For those of you who like Magnus, it still is one of Magneto's name.

Erik Lehnsherr is still his operational name. It's the name he goes by, because he doesn't want anyone to know his birth name. So, for those of you who like "Erik Lehnsherr" (I don't, I hate it personally), but for those of you who like it, it is still the name Magneto answers to, and what other characters in the MU call him. So you can be happy too.

And Max Eisenhardt as his real birth name is a wonderful name. For those of us who love it, and love MAGNETO TESTAMENT and are thrilled that Magneto's Jewish Holocaust history has been finalized and affirmed, we are happy too!

So, everyone is happy. Or should be."

#18 Posted by TDK_1997 (14663 posts) - - Show Bio

I like both designs but I prefer him with hair.

#19 Posted by Djainess (171 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't really care about it really. But I remember that I was very suprised to see him without hair all of the sudden. It was strange...

#20 Posted by Koays (1406 posts) - - Show Bio

Fact is he'll grow his hair back, it's how people identify him without the costume...

This, like most other status quo changes, is only temporary unless it prove wildly popular....which it hasn't. And by 2018 when Xavier is brought back to life, he and Magneto will joke about Cyclops' Racer X/Judge Dredd tribute and how Magneto tried to harness Charles power by taking on his hair style.

We should all just enjoy the ride...It's silly to complain about things like this, especially while Havok is running around in a Tron suit, SERIOUSLY lets complain about that, I mean they went out of their way to change his costume just enough to make him look funny but not enough for it to have mattered in the first place.

#21 Edited by Cutter (713 posts) - - Show Bio

No. I think bald Magneto looks badass.

I agree. As much as I like Magneto's silver hair, I also think bald is badass. I don't know the reason why going bald, but in my belief, I think he went bald, so no other mutants would recognize him while he's hunting (I assume). There's rumors that he's killing not only those who are threat for mutant kind, but those who also betrayed him. I wonder if after he's done the hunting thing, he probably let his hair grow back. Meanwhile, I like him both ways.

#22 Posted by Roddy010 (5195 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7 said:

@roddy010 said:

Nah I just prefer Logan or Wolverine. He never came off as a "Jim" to me.

#23 Edited by lykopis (10753 posts) - - Show Bio

Hair.

Back.

NOW.

#24 Edited by JakeN7 (11574 posts) - - Show Bio

@roddy010 said:

@jaken7 said:

@roddy010 said:

Nah I just prefer Logan or Wolverine. He never came off as a "Jim" to me.

I would've just taken "touche", but I agree with you. Any time someone calls him James, I feel like it's just to get under his skin.

@koays said:

Fact is he'll grow his hair back, it's how people identify him without the costume...

This, like most other status quo changes, is only temporary unless it prove wildly popular....which it hasn't. And by 2018 when Xavier is brought back to life, he and Magneto will joke about Cyclops' Racer X/Judge Dredd tribute and how Magneto tried to harness Charles power by taking on his hair style.

We should all just enjoy the ride...It's silly to complain about things like this, especially while Havok is running around in a Tron suit, SERIOUSLY lets complain about that, I mean they went out of their way to change his costume just enough to make him look funny but not enough for it to have mattered in the first place.

I really like your points HOWEVER in regards to Havok...that's below the belt! I don't even think he likes his costume. He's so coooool though!!! Grr... same goes for Sunfire.

#25 Posted by Moonlighterstone (193 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually, he looks good in both ways. Hair or no hair, he's still the master of magnetism, and no he don't look like Lux Luthor.

#26 Posted by adamTRMM (1524 posts) - - Show Bio

That gray mullet was the prime reason why people (and writers) call him an old man, so him being bald made me realize it is actually better! So, I guess well done Bendis.

#27 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4423 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7 said:

I really like your points HOWEVER in regards to Havok...that's below the belt! I don't even think he likes his costume. He's so coooool though!!! Grr... same goes for Sunfire.

whoa whoa whoa! don't drag Sunfire into this, his costume's absolutely perfect and always has been :v

#28 Posted by JakeN7 (11574 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7 said:

whoa whoa whoa! don't drag Sunfire into this, his costume's absolutely perfect and always has been :v

But...but!

This is sooooo much cooooler!

#29 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4423 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7 said:

@oldnightcrawler said:

But...but!

ahh! take it away it burns!!

ah, that's better :v

#30 Posted by JakeN7 (11574 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7 said:

@oldnightcrawler said:

But...but!

ahh! take it away it burns!!

ah, that's better :v

#31 Posted by THUNDERBOLT30 (10257 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. I am not feeling the bald look for Max. At all.