Do you think they'll kill off Magneto in "Secret Wars?"

Betony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Betony

Will they say their goodbyes and retire his character? (I've seen people complain that his age/history doesn't make much sense in 2015 and they can't keep de-aging him forever).

Would you be okay with it if they did it well?

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Transformers1024

If anyone dies in Secret Wars then I'd bet it will get retconned by the end of he event.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@betony said:

Will they say their goodbyes and retire his character? (I've seen people complain that his age/history doesn't make much sense in 2015 and they can't keep de-aging him forever).

If they can keep Captain America in our time, there's no reason they cannot keep Magneto as well. Besides, how many immortals are there? They (o5) were just kids in '63, it's 2015 and they are all still young, nice feat isn't it? Ages are not the issue. The issues is, what Marvel are willing to do with the X-properties. That only the end of SW will tell I guess.

Cutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm afraid that no one knows. I was thinking the same thing too, but the way Marvel is turning the whole Marvel Universe...it's seems that surprises are awaiting us. All I know if Magneto ends...I will end here with Marvel.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By dernman

It's dumb. They should update his origin so he's not from WW2 if they want to keep him around. I don't believe Magneto is in the same circumstances as Cap or the O5. Cap was frozen for year which is what kept him young. They just keep updating when he was unfrozen. Plus there was the addition of the SSS which we're now told makes him young for a long time. The O5 are the same on how they get updated to when they were in school. You can't do that with Magneto because he's tied to an event. You'd have to keep inventing dumb reasons to keep him at a viable age.

Betony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: Do you think it would be lazy writing if they just said "his X-gene keeps him young and extends his life?"

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@betony: I'm assuming you mean as a second mutation. Calling it lazy is subjective but for me, I wouldn't like them going in that direction. It dates him too much and I feel they're already too many characters with extended lives. That's just my opinion though.

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EC2277
@betony said:

I think they will kill every "duplicate character" during Secret Wars, in order to leave only the characters who will can play a strong role in the new Marvel-verse. For example it would be useless have both 616 Magneto and "House of M" Magneto. So they would kill 616 Magneto and leave HoM Magneto. Same thing for Wolverine (who is already dead): if X-23, Daken and the Wolverine son of Ultimate-verse can replace 616 Wolverine, the latter he will be useless. But the Wolverine of "Old Man Logan"-verse could be a very interesting lonely avenger in the Wastelands.

Instead there couldn't be problem to keep both Spider Man (Peter Parker) than "Spider Boy" (Miles Morales) in the All New Marvel-verse.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Koays

He was deaged and is now in his 50's biologically.....i dont see why his age would be a problem unless he's in 70's

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah

He is just too iconic, and Marvel won't kill him, even if they don't have his movie rights...

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Magneto can be retconned into a victim of Antisemitism in the Middle East, where a lot of Israeli-Arabian riots took place in the 1950's.

That should shorten his age by a decade or two.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By adamTRMM

@mandarinestro said:

Magneto can be retconned into a victim of Antisemitism in the Middle East, where a lot of Israeli-Arabian riots took place in the 1950's.

That should shorten his age by a decade or two.

That would be too politically incorrect for Marvel to actually go with it, while WWII has the "enemy of all progressive humanity" in form of the Nazis. Besides, you take Holocaust out of Magneto, and it's not Magneto anymore. This is who his character is, and with tech that M. Earth has these days age really isn't an issue. All he needed was just a single de-aging, but Alan Davis IIRC screwed that up.

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mandarinestro

@adamtrmm: Otherwise just give him immortality or longevity as his secondary mutation. Lol why didn't I think about this.

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

I hope not. He's my favorite comic book villain ever.

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think everyone will die and marvel will reboot and wipeout the mutant race and mak them inhumans

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think everyone will die and marvel will reboot and wipeout the mutant race and mak them inhumans

so mutants would be a off-breed of inhumans, sound better xp

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

???? Magneto has been de aged and, er.......re-aged (?) to his physical prime.....so I would guess somewhere between his thirties to early forties. Physically, Cyclops would be just as old or older, and there is other characters in the Marvel Universe who are older, why would they retire any of the characters??

@dernman said:

It's dumb. They should update his origin so he's not from WW2 if they want to keep him around. I don't believe Magneto is in the same circumstances as Cap or the O5. Cap was frozen for year which is what kept him young. They just keep updating when he was unfrozen. Plus there was the addition of the SSS which we're now told makes him young for a long time. The O5 are the same on how they get updated to when they were in school. You can't do that with Magneto because he's tied to an event. You'd have to keep inventing dumb reasons to keep him at a viable age.

Yeah, I have been saying this for a while. If they ever do a retcon or a reboot or whatever they should just have Magneto come from a fictional country and say that it was overrun by Neo-Nazis, maybe even Hydra--aren't they basically Neo-Nazis after all?? That is what they did in the Ultimate Universe. Or you could even do a scenario similar to the X-Men First Class film where Mags is intent on killing the leader of the regime that committed atrocities upon his people, which would be Baron Von Strucker, after all, in the 616 universe the Struckers do have a grudge against Magneto because of what he did to Wolfgang.

The thing people fail to realize is that pretty much every Marvel character has important ties to real world events, Magneto and Cap and WW2, Iron Man and "red scare", Fantastic Four and the space race, Punisher and Forge were in Vietnam, Professor X and the Korean War, The X-Men and Hulk and the atomic age, The New Mutants and 80s youth movement, Storm and the Suez, Colossus and the economic problems of the Soviet Union in the late 70s.......... so retconning any of these characters out these times kind of effects the character,......I could go on, but yeah, my point is that it's comics, fantastical super hero comics. They did away with paying attention to characters actual ages long ago. Things like this shouldn't really bother anyone

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By adamTRMM

@cattlebattle:

???? Magneto has been de aged and, er.......re-aged (?) to his physical prime.....so I would guess somewhere between his thirties to early forties. Physically, Cyclops would be just as old or older, and there is other characters in the Marvel Universe who are older, why would they retire any of the characters??

He was reaged (like really reaged) by Alan Davis I think. Fraction also made many refer to him as old man, even he called himself this way.

Avatar image for lordofallhumans
LordOfAllHumans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LordOfAllHumans

@adamtrmm: He is an old man regardless of his physicality that doesn't mean he has the body of an old man.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By adamTRMM

@lordofallhumans said:

He is an old man regardless of his physicality that doesn't mean he has the body of an old man.

True, but Fraction's intentions were clear:

No Caption Provided

LordOfAllHumans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm: Well I don't take bad writing and ignorance as seriously as you do, that one panel does not offer much proof of anything that can not be fixed with another panel that would have years of canon to back it up. It's just like ignoring Rachel during AVX didn't retcon her existence it just showed that Marvel thinks the old readers are senile and new readers are lazy idiots.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By adamTRMM

@lordofallhumans:

So what does is it mean for continuity? You bury your head in the sand every time you dislike something? "This one panel" was continuation of canonical reaging that took place during Magneto War, but you know that right? With Bendis ALSO continuing this trait currently I'm not sure what makes you so unambiguous in dismantling something that is simply what is going on right now and I prefer to deal with canon.

I actually share your frustration about what is happening with X-comics in general, as is evident by everything I post here, but that's the canon right now, and even if you dislike it, it still will be. These writers just come with their own stuff and don't generally respect any development or plot that wasn't popular enough or their personal favorite. I don't respect that, but again, these are the cards we're dealt.

LordOfAllHumans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By LordOfAllHumans

@adamtrmm:

If you preferred to deal with canon you wouldn't be so adamant in your attempt to make me see a retcon based on a few badly written pages, that can be erased even easier than they were drawn without causing continuity issues because there is decades of canon to back them instead of a few years of inconsistent nonsense made to impress lazy idiots. In response to the topic of this thread Magneto does not need to be deaged, because outside of bad writing and ignorance nothing in canon has actually physically aged him.

Even being deaged he would be older than the X-men the only thing the writing is confirming is that he is not a young man, not that he is a senior citizen and with this new generations infatuation with youth and anything over 30 being considered ancient its no wonder his speech patterns are reflecting that way of thinking.

Betony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ec2277 said:
@betony said:

I think they will kill every "duplicate character" during Secret Wars, in order to leave only the characters who will can play a strong role in the new Marvel-verse. For example it would be useless have both 616 Magneto and "House of M" Magneto. So they would kill 616 Magneto and leave HoM Magneto. Same thing for Wolverine (who is already dead): if X-23, Daken and the Wolverine son of Ultimate-verse can replace 616 Wolverine, the latter he will be useless. But the Wolverine of "Old Man Logan"-verse could be a very interesting lonely avenger in the Wastelands.

Instead there couldn't be problem to keep both Spider Man (Peter Parker) than "Spider Boy" (Miles Morales) in the All New Marvel-verse.

I hope 616 Magneto pulls through......ugh, the more I think about this, the more anxious I get. I WANT to enjoy this event and have fun reading these comics, but it's turned into this feeling of impending doom.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lordofallhumans:

If you preferred to deal with canon you wouldn't be so adamant in your attempt to make me see a retcon based on a few badly written pages

You know, many Scarlet Witch fans consider AD and HoM some of the most OOC and poorly written sh!tstorms for her. Can they dismantle this characterization of hers now? A bit extreme, but also canon.

that can be erased even easier than they were drawn without causing continuity issues because there is decades of canon to back them instead of a few years of inconsistent nonsense made to impress lazy idiots.

It's almost two decades since this retcon took place. Then movies happened, so now we got officially reintroduced to an old man with TP defensive helmet. Same way Morrison wrote his Xorneto (who was intended to be the real Magneto) btw.

In response to the topic of this thread Magneto does not need to be deaged, because outside of bad writing and ignorance nothing in canon has actually physically aged him.

Even everyone on many different occasions referring to him as old man?

Even being deaged he would be older than the X-men the only thing the writing is confirming is that he is not a young man, not that he is a senior citizen and with this new generations infatuation with youth and anything over 30 being considered ancient its no wonder his speech patterns are reflecting that way of thinking.

If you refuse to acknowledge that it's all good, but that's not the pattern for current continuity.

4U2NV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah I don't think he is gonna to die. He just gonna get more powerful

Speedlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@4u2nv said:

Nah I don't think he is gonna to die. He just gonna get more powerful

This can be possible. They might have to start making Magneto to focus more into the galaxy Stars. I read some theory about it in the Omega Level thread. Interesting theory and I think this can possibly happen if writers knew better.

LordOfAllHumans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

@lordofallhumans:

If you preferred to deal with canon you wouldn't be so adamant in your attempt to make me see a retcon based on a few badly written pages

You know, many Scarlet Witch fans consider AD and HoM some of the most OOC and poorly written sh!tstorms for her. Can they dismantle this characterization of hers now? A bit extreme, but also canon.

that can be erased even easier than they were drawn without causing continuity issues because there is decades of canon to back them instead of a few years of inconsistent nonsense made to impress lazy idiots.

It's almost two decades since this retcon took place. Then movies happened, so now we got officially reintroduced to an old man with TP defensive helmet. Same way Morrison wrote his Xorneto (who was intended to be the real Magneto) btw.

In response to the topic of this thread Magneto does not need to be deaged, because outside of bad writing and ignorance nothing in canon has actually physically aged him.

Even everyone on many different occasions referring to him as old man?

If you refuse to acknowledge that it's all good, but that's not the pattern for current continuity.

He is an old man, regardless of his physical age, Logan as been called old man by those younger than him, that does not mean they are suddenly aging him into a senior citizen. People over 30 are often considered old to people under 30 and people over 40 are often considered old to everybody including people over 40, using those words is no indication that his physical age has been reverted to what it is supposed to be and exhausting his powers has always been a problem for Magneto regardless of what his age is supposed to be.

UHypocrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think with what Marvel has been doing lately, there is nothing else to expect from them. They are destroying the universe, destroying the twins, and now Magneto. Jeez... and everything for over a movie. Oh God please have mercy.

Avatar image for shadowofthelight
ShadowoftheLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think I ever be ok with it. Especially killing a iconic. Somebody tell marvel this is the stupidest idea ever.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By adamTRMM

@lordofallhumans:

None would call him an old man would he still be 'prime of his life' don't you agree with that? People who shouldn't recognize his connection to WWII still do like when he went undercover recently to find out who's behind MGH on Mandripoor had an encounter with some thugs who commented on him 'old man is all muscle' without knowing who they're dealing with. See I too prefer deaged Magneto, but it's evident writers decided to forget he's deaged and want him to be more like an actual Holocaust survivor, or just less powerful maybe. Can it be reretconned again? Who's arguing that, but that's not what we're talking about right here. Otherwise, questions like this wouldn't be even raised.

(my post disappeared again, gladly I copied it)

Avatar image for timetraveltravetz
TimeTravelTravetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NO! Speculation mean nothing. I doubt they will do something like that. I don't even want to know.

UHypocrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think I ever be ok with it. Especially killing a iconic. Somebody tell marvel this is the stupidest idea ever.

Seriously yes.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I highly doubt anything that happens during Secret Wars will last or mean anything.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36  Edited By Stahlflamme

How does Magnetos solo sell? Naw, doubt it. Magneto is THE X-Men villain. Whatever X-Men cartoon, movie or game anyone has ever played he was a big part of it. With Fassbenders most recent performance that is not about to change soon. His backstory being outdated is also not true. Nazis and holocaust are still the worst case scenario coming to mind when speaking about discrimination.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Eeshaan1685

And splat goes the X-Franchise.

antimutant001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

RIP.

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By EC2277

@stahlflamme: Magneto is still over 27,000 units sold monthly and in the first 13 issues has fallen of 50.46%, that it's a better result than All New X-Men, which has fallen of 54.76% in the same number of issues. So I think we can say that sell well. It isn't a best seller, but resist well. Above all if we think to titles like Storm or Cyclops, that have lost about the 67% of the readers in 8 issues.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Um, where is this coming from? No.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I really hope not since Magneto has been the best X-Men ongoing series since it's launch.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RIP old man

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Well, his solo is supposed to continue on after Secret Wars. I can't see Marvel continuing to publish a book called 'Magneto' without the titular character.

Viperians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah they can't be that stupid even though they are lol