Current x-force run?

Fredcdobbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Fredcdobbs

Really like the look of the art and the team line up is interesting. Is it all explosions and guns? Not that I've got a problem with that but I do need some character interaction and development.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 Koays  Online

@fredcdobbs: it's pretty solid. First three issues may look like guns and explosions but by the time you hit the Fantomex issue the book has evened out and has some good moments. I recommend it highly at the moment.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3  Edited By Claymore1998

I found it very average. But then again it's about personal opinion. Dropped it after 2 issues.

Tried Deadpool vs X force and didn't like it much either.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a little more than guns and explosions...but not much.

Avatar image for deactivated-5baa5ef93cf0f
deactivated-5baa5ef93cf0f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't like it. Cable was really, really bland and strangely written and Psylocke's whole "I wish I didn't kill people. It makes ME very sad when I kill people." thing was so goddamn annoying. Not only is was that shit getting old years ago, but she has crazy powerful telekenisis and really good telepathy, it seems like those two powers could be used pretty easily to incapacitate someone without murdering them.

devilsgrin81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By devilsgrin81

the book is tired already. Marrow is as annoying as ever. Meme is the most ridiculous character ever created.

Psylocke is badass, but her murderer-shtick is getting really old, really fast - esp as its not being mentioned anywhere else...

Fantomex is the same in every book. So he can drop this one. (also - seems the writers on this x-force have forgotten about the three-way Fanto split...)

Dr Nemesis is, as always, hilarious (he's the new science flavoured Emma Frost with his snarkiness).

Cable... now here is a character in need of permanent death. Someone please put him out of his misery... and reveal he was always the clone, so we can have a Stryfe who can "try" to go good... Oh and Hope can go to the permanent grave with him. If ever a character was a plot device more than an actual character, it's Hope.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Koays  Online

Just to reinforce the point amongst the negatives. The book improves drastically by the time Cable's secret is revealed.

Fantomex goes through an actual crisis of character that results in him essentially losing it in a very interesting way.

Psylocke's issues aren't really major factor in the book, so much as her own personal goals which she doesn't voice outwardly

Marrow has snapped and the reason why, once explained makes her snap further

Meme gives direction to otherwise directionless character

and Cable is awkward seeming, but with a VERY good reason.

More over though the fact that every few issues we get a story told from a different perspective (Fantomex, one from a group fighting against X-Force, and one from Marrow and Psylocke)

The thing is all the characters in this run have major secrets that have them acting out of character from the start and if you keep that in mind it should give a better taste for the book

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not happy that it pretty much ruined Psylocke's character arc from Remender's Uncanny X-Force (one of my favorite comics ever).

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Although the team is not my favorite cast of characters the writer is better than any of more mainstream x-writers. Personally I think the x-force kill squad thing is getting a bit old. In fact I think the way Magneto is being written by Cullen Bunn is more x-force than anything else. I tend to agree with Cable maybe dying permanently. I just dont find him all that interesting. I think Stryfe being a badass villain and thats it is just fine. Fantomex has always been garbage in my opinion and I can understand the insistence on using him at all. Marrow is written as annoying. All that said, I think a small team of Magneto, Psylocke, Cable, and Wolverine ( It's bad that they are killing him and really unnecessary) doing missions like Magneto is doing in his solo would be a better move for X-force

Lena_Dante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dr Nemesis is, as always, hilarious (he's the new science flavoured Emma Frost with his snarkiness).

This is the best description of him I've ever seen.

Galerion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kyle/Yost X-Force was the best incarnation in my opinion. The entire team was just brutal and perfect with X-23, Wolverine, Warpath, Domino, Archangel, etc.

All later ones can't really match that. Psylocke with all this I don't want to kill people yet Im still a part of the team, Fantomex is not that sympathetic in general and Cable is basically half a terminator.

devilsgrin81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devilsgrin81 said:

This is the best description of him I've ever seen.

i aim to please lol

Fredcdobbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: you view really makes me want to pick this up, sounds really interesting!

StarWatcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By StarWatcher

I found the first few issues very entertaining but it got old very quickly and didn't evolve much.

Still a decent read, I quite like Cable in it, and I like having it for the art.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm kinda surprised with the Marrow hate. She's a great, unusual addition to the stagnant, annoying and tired portrayal of the X-ladies that just refuse to evolve.

I do consider the lineup extremely problematic, but the writer does his job so excellently and subtly, I enjoy the book with characters I didn't care about (and pretty much still don't) much more than other books that have multiple characters I actually like. The irony of good writing.

Alias99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is everybody forgetting the earlier issue when Betsy basically confessed to the team that the entire reason she joined X-Force is because she is addicted to killing and needs to be a part of it to feel the rush she gets from it? I thought this was so well done, because it was basically like she was saying she's just like Sabretooth, only on the "good" side ... but with the same lust for blood. But then it wasn't explored any further than that. I think the idea of a "good guy" (or girl in her case) with an actual need to kill was an interesting idea. Wolverine is a killer, but doesn't seem to have the "need" for it,vs. the way she described herself as needing it.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alias99: Her being a "good" serial killer is a decent idea. I guess if it were explored a little more it would be better

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@alias99 said:

Is everybody forgetting the earlier issue when Betsy basically confessed to the team that the entire reason she joined X-Force is because she is addicted to killing and needs to be a part of it to feel the rush she gets from it? I thought this was so well done, because it was basically like she was saying she's just like Sabretooth, only on the "good" side ... but with the same lust for blood. But then it wasn't explored any further than that. I think the idea of a "good guy" (or girl in her case) with an actual need to kill was an interesting idea. Wolverine is a killer, but doesn't seem to have the "need" for it,vs. the way she described herself as needing it.

What, so she's like some sort of vampire now?

That's stupid.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

My thoughts.

No Domino.

No Archangel.

No Colossus.

No Boom-Boom.

Weird at sh*t art.

It does have Nemesis, but that's offset by Fantomex who's an idiot.

Therefore, not buying it.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Domino should be there for sure. She was in one issue and there's more coming where she's concerned

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredcdobbs: It's kinda made me more interested in Cable, honestly....and, fair warning, I'm drinking wine and typing so there will be rants and SPOILERS to follow.

I'm a huge Psylocke fan, in most instances I'll jump off a cliff for stories involving her....although I stayed grounded and behind the fence during her run in Exiles....yeesh, was that bad (personal opinion) ...but even though her murder lust has been a prevalent theme of late (shall we say, psi-slashing a dead horse?), I think it's a natural progression that's leading to a head, possibly with the realization the AoA Jean didn't actually eliminate all of the death seed when she expanded Betsy's psionic horizons. I'm also down with her blatant flirtation with Cable...no strings attached when he dies at the end of each day.

People seem to be annoyed by Marrow and Fantomex, but that's the point. They're meant to be annoying...so the writer's done his job. I loathe Fantomex, so watching him get totally ridiculed at every corner and fumble over himself is double fudge frosting for me.

And then there's Hope, the sentient plot hole, the effen mutant messiah with a bazillion powers who rarely uses any of them in an interesting way. This is one of those SPOILERS I warned you about: Having her take over Meme's powerset actually gives her a place in this book in my eyes. Ever since her creation, nobody's known what the hell to do with her...and here we get her in a nice, neat digital package, plus, I didn't like the idea of Meme in the first place.

I'm indifferent when it come to Dr. Nemesis. People that like snarky, sarcastic characters seem to like him. Birds of a feather, I guess ;)

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HAWK2916

@thunderscream: That would be a cool development if Psylocke is still being effected by the death seed. I've always wondered about that whole thing considering how the Life Seed is described as th only thing that can reverse the effects of the Death Seed. If things move that way I think it would be one of the best developments in recent times.