#1 Posted by Godzilla_BK (68 posts) - - Show Bio

So it's just been announced that Channing Tatum will be playing Gambit in an X-men spin-off film, more than likely a Gambit stand-alone. What do you guys think? Is Channing Tatum fit to play Remy LeBeau? Is a Gambit film a good idea?

Personally I'm a bit skeptical. I'm not sure Channing Tatum is the right choice for the Ragin' Cajun. But I guess I have to choice but to give him a chance. I liked Taylor Kitsch's portrayal of Gambit in X-men Origins a lot (though it was obviously a bad movie), I think he held his part down well. But I'm curious to see what you guys think

#2 Edited by jkojkojko (28 posts) - - Show Bio

Channing Tatum would probably do a good Hellion. Don't know bout Gambit.

#3 Edited by Cutter (756 posts) - - Show Bio

Channing Tatum would probably do a good Hellion. Don't know bout Gambit.

Absolutely...this...

#4 Edited by Koays (1465 posts) - - Show Bio

Well they have a similar facial structure.....is this why he lost his accent in X-Factor?

#5 Edited by ultimatekey (180 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays said:

Well they have a similar facial structure.....is this why he lost his accent in X-Factor?

I have not read X-Factor yet, but wait, he lost his accent? I mean that is one of the things that make Gambit Gambit. Was it explained or was it out of the blue. Maybe its due to the writer, because that is the situation with Rogue.

#6 Edited by Godzilla_BK (68 posts) - - Show Bio

@jkojkojko: Never would have thought of that, but I like it

#7 Edited by Ms-Lola (2399 posts) - - Show Bio

I love it. That smile, those eyes, that charm and holy hell, that body. Just need to grow out some hair and I'm envisioning a thing of beauty.

#8 Edited by Koays (1465 posts) - - Show Bio

@ultimatekey: Yea, seemed like after the first couple of issues he just dropped it randomly. It's cool because he's the viewpoint character but otherwise its hard to remember he's gambit sometimes

#9 Posted by Godzilla_BK (68 posts) - - Show Bio

@hislolita:

So you think he's a good Gambit because he's a stud lol?

#10 Edited by Fallschirmjager (16818 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh.

Looks are overrated. Tatum has never impressed me with his acting ability. Most of the characters he plays are painfully similar.

Rather have Taylor Kitsch back. There was nothing wrong with him, just the script. People too often assume that because a movie is bad, the performances are bad or if a movie is good the performances is good. Neither are the case.

#11 Posted by Ms-Lola (2399 posts) - - Show Bio

@hislolita:

So you think he's a good Gambit because he's a stud lol?

Very important, yes. I have no qualms admitting it. Him having experience in action films (plus his dancing background) is the cherry on top. All that man needs to do is tilt his head, hands in pockets while biting his lower lip and I will personally wear a sandwich board in my town to promote the film.

#12 Posted by judasnixon (6511 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays said:

I have not read X-Factor yet, but wait, he lost his accent? I mean that is one of the things that make Gambit Gambit. Was it explained or was it out of the blue. Maybe its due to the writer, because that is the situation with Rogue.

I think Peter David just toned it down. (Thank God!) No one really talks like that in real life.

#13 Posted by goobot (516 posts) - - Show Bio

Rather have Taylor Kitsch back. There was nothing wrong with him, just the script. People too often assume that because a movie is bad, the performances are bad or if a movie is good the performances is good. Neither are the case.

This.

#14 Edited by PhoenixoftheTides (3531 posts) - - Show Bio
@goobot said:

@fallschirmjager said:

This.

Agreed. I don't hold bad scripts against the actors.

#15 Posted by Koays (1465 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by judasnixon (6511 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays said:

@judasnixon: Except for actual Cajun people....

Bet you know a lot of Cajun people.....

#17 Posted by MideonNViscera (360 posts) - - Show Bio

@ultimatekey said:

@koays said:

I think Peter David just toned it down. (Thank God!) No one really talks like that in real life.

Yeah definitely. When I was thinking about this casting earlier I was thinking they'd have to tone it down a ton for a movie too.

#18 Posted by judasnixon (6511 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon said:

@ultimatekey said:

@koays said:

Yeah definitely. When I was thinking about this casting earlier I was thinking they'd have to tone it down a ton for a movie too.

Oh no. They are going to play it up for the movie with out a doubt. Trust me, Hollywood loves nothing more than bad New Orleans/ Louisiana cliches.... I'm willing to bet that the movie will take place during Mardi Gras.

#19 Posted by Koays (1465 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon: Just Grandpa :) wasn't thick, but i assumed he picked it up from New Orleans.

#20 Posted by judasnixon (6511 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays said:

@judasnixon: Just Grandpa :) wasn't thick, but i assumed he picked it up from New Orleans.

Your grandfather probably just has a New Orleans accent.

#21 Posted by Godzilla_BK (68 posts) - - Show Bio

@hislolita:

Atleast you're refreshingly honest haha :p

#22 Posted by Drizzle1030 (77 posts) - - Show Bio

Tatum as Gambit.. im not sure.. movies like 21 jumps street, or G.I joe, I dont see it, he would have to undergo some training like Chris Evans in Cap 2, I know the ladies love him, but I dont think he has the charm that gambit possesses, I do agree with everybody else that the guy from the first wolverine movie should play gambit.. I thought he was a perfect gambit, slim build long hair

The five o'clock shadow.. all he was missing was agility and gambits fighting style, but I guess we will see what tatum will bring to the table,

#23 Posted by HAWK2916 (1658 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds like they are clearly relying on Tatums star power instead focusing on making a good movie. I guess they had to get a fairly big name. Gaspard Ulliel or Josh Holloway would have been better choices. Also we certainly dont need a solo spin-off film

#24 Posted by Frozon (126 posts) - - Show Bio

Channing Tatum would be perfect as both, Gambit and Hellion, but damn what a man Channing had become. I always had a crush in him really. Don't you girlz lol.

#25 Posted by RetroChaos (59 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually think he will do a decent job as Gambit, I haven't an idea why, I can just...see it.

#26 Posted by ReddKnave (62 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon: Yeah, people actually do talk like that. I'm from a small town in Louisiana, don't live far from there now. Cajuns actually sound far worse than Gambit does, a real bayou cajun accent is very hard to understand. The writers actually write Gambit's speech more "English" with French spellings than with cajun inflections ((the writer's write "mon' chere", but a cajun would pronounce it a little more like "mah-shah" with short A's like in "plant")).

As for Tatum, ugh... he may have the look, begged to play the part, and have Lauren Schuler-Donner crushin on him, but does he have the actin chops to pull off the Cajun? When I watch a movie with him in it his "acting" pulls me out of the movie completely. I would love him to do a good job, but I just don't expect much from him. And hopefully they go with a slimmer Tatum like the character, and not some over-buffed version.

#27 Posted by McKlayn (1075 posts) - - Show Bio

just as long as gambit doesnt end up like Duke ill be ok

#28 Posted by Psy_chrometer (82 posts) - - Show Bio

Channing fit perfectly as Gambit. He's a cutie and I like him as Duke as well :)

#29 Posted by flameboy298 (1889 posts) - - Show Bio

Channing fit perfectly as Gambit. He's a cutie and I like him as Duke as well :)

EXACTLY! All we need now is Zac Efron as Cyclops and have Daniel Radcliffe for Nightcrawler! and bring in Robert Pattinson for Cable! LOTS OF BANKABLAE ACTORS AND GREAT CASTING!

#30 Edited by Psy_chrometer (82 posts) - - Show Bio

@psy_chrometer said:

EXACTLY! All we need now is Zac Efron as Cyclops and have Daniel Radcliffe for Nightcrawler! and bring in Robert Pattinson for Cable! LOTS OF BANKABLAE ACTORS AND GREAT CASTING!

Zac Efron? O M G never thought of him as Cyclops. Good pick You got here. Zac will be perfect as Cyclops.