• 60 results
#51 Edited by Night Thrasher (3809 posts) - - Show Bio

@night_thrasher said:

@phoenixofthetides said:

@night_thrasher said:

I really hate agenda pushing in writing. Do we need a gay main character? No! Would I be mad if we had one? No! Would I be upset if that's the only reason the character got any panel time? Absolutely! The point is; Marvel, DC and Image for that matter, have plenty of gay/minority/religious characters to use. Some are severely underused, and some are overtly exploited. What the OP seems to be asking for is some "token" character to fill some type of agenda.

I don't think the OP is asking for that at all. When you look at OP's comment, they simply said that they think there should be a new main character and that it would be nice if it was a gay male character. The rest of us gave suggestions. I don't think an agenda is being pushed just by talking about it.

I think it is a little bit of agenda pushing...Not completely blaming the OP but you have to admit that the whole "We need more _____ characters in _____ universe" thread is getting old. I'm getting a little tired of characters being made gay/bisexual (Loki, Alan Scott, etc) or changed race (Nick Fury) just to promote an agenda. I'm also getting tired of characters only being created to represent a particular sexual preference or minority. To me, when you create a character all the other stuff should be secondary. The character should come first, the tidbits should add to the character and not BE the character. My key example is Shatterstar...before he was a one note character with little backstory and little to no development. Now he's a one note character with little to no backstory and he's bisexual. I would have rather Peter David dig into his origin and the whole "Benjamin Russell" story than just have him bed hop.

then perhaps you should read the final couple of Issues of X-Factor... Shatterstar's origin is revealed. And Longshot's for that matter. Also, by definition (yours) he a TWO note character... swords and pansexual (he's not bisexual. He's in a relatively monogamous homosexual relationship with Rictor... but 'Star himself could swing ANY way...)

I will admit that I haven't read the final issues of X-Factor. I'm basing it on what I've read of the series which is around 10-20 issues with him in it before I decided to drop the title. The series itself was fine, but I didn't like Shatterstar in the issues. It was too much "He's alien, and he doesn't care who he sleeps with....isn't that craaaaaaaaaazy!!!!" vibe going on.

#52 Edited by HAWK2916 (2621 posts) - - Show Bio

@ageofhurricane: Now I actually really disliked this development. Loved Miss America though, who coincidentally should have been the new Ms.Marvel.

#53 Posted by Moonlighterstone (387 posts) - - Show Bio

R U serious?

#54 Posted by Selina_Sublime (193 posts) - - Show Bio

Do we need a gay/other minority X-Man? No, we don't need one necessarily. But it would be nice to evolve the series, which has worn a badge of honor about being the strange! the oppressed! the hated! and feature some of the real-life metaphors the X-Men's themes reflect.

Yes, good characters and good stories are top priority, but why can't we have both quality and the inclusiveness that the times of the original X-Men (or even far more recent eras of the franchise) could afford to give us?

#55 Posted by Ultra_beleco (184 posts) - - Show Bio

@erik said:

@feelgood said:

We need a new main character in the X-Men series. It would be nice to get a gay male X-Man, who is a main character and not just a "supporting" character.

Why not a team of just the gay X-Men?

Are there that many? I once tought Marvel could make a mini series called X- Pryde or something like that, and it would mix characters who suffers persecutions that existis in our world such as Kitty (she could be the main character) and the persecution for being mutant.

#57 Posted by Ultra_beleco (184 posts) - - Show Bio

Do we need a gay/other minority X-Man? No, we don't need one necessarily. But it would be nice to evolve the series, which has worn a badge of honor about being the strange! the oppressed! the hated! and feature some of the real-life metaphors the X-Men's themes reflect.

Yes, good characters and good stories are top priority, but why can't we have both quality and the inclusiveness that the times of the original X-Men (or even far more recent eras of the franchise) could afford to give us?

I hate the "Agenda argument" because it is sooo speculative. I see lot of writters being acussed of shoving "(insert anyone who is not White,male and heterossexual here) agenda" down people's throat.

Someday these people will realize that there are writers who actually want by free will and creativity write about a gay character. Or a character of a different religion, or ethnicity. In a lot of cases because:

a) They are part of those "minorities" themselves

b) They have friends/family who are part of that minoritie and are inspired by them.

#58 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7684 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawk2916 said:

@ageofhurricane: Now I actually really disliked this development. Loved Miss America though, who coincidentally should have been the new Ms.Marvel.

Like...i wasn't even against it or anything. But for one, it was most definitely unexpected as evidenced by subsequent positive fan reception. My main problem is that it's now become his sole intrinsic definitive trait. At least where Tumblr stands, anyways. He's not really David Alleyne, human genius and leader of his generation's X-Men, there aren't any integral holistic constituents or dimensions to the character, now he's more like David Alleyne that black gay guy.

Perhaps it's the circumstantial result of cancellation wherein Gillen was unable to develop David past w.e, but it just didn't sit well with me. A character--a person, is more, so much more, than their sexuality.

#59 Posted by comedy_brosUSA (827 posts) - - Show Bio
#60 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6721 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawk2916 said:

Why's that?

#61 Posted by Rickbarry (1981 posts) - - Show Bio

Iceman is clearly gay. He went shopping with a girl and didn't try to hook up with her afterward. Also there's this.

#62 Posted by Lightblaze (118 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL. I'm not against GLBT, but Maybe having a main gay character sound good to me. I adore Northstar.