Can we come up with average ages for the X-men?!

• 94 results
Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#51  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@tomchu: Ruby Summers is the daughter of Cyclops and Emma Frost from a possible future.

oh, and Cyclops is neither middle-aged, nor does he shoot lasers; he's about 33, and shoots force beams.

tomchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@oldnightcrawler:

Hahaha I know, I was *trying* to be sarcastic,

There was an issue somewhere in which a human claimed Cyclops shoots laser beams, in which Cyclops corrected him with 'Force Beams' in the same way it happened here.

33? Hmmm, Always thought he was about 35, but then again, giving a decade range for comic book character is more than enough.

Polarity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ageofhurricane said:

@oldnightcrawler: Mm. So you've lumped Emma in the same age category as the rest of the actual X-Men, meaning to say that Storm was around the same age 10ish years ago ? Lol Yeah. I don't think i need to post scans of Storm during the late 80s and 90s to get my message across. Like i said, they age when necessary, that fan-made "ratio" only complicates things.

Storm, Nightcrawler, and Colossus are all supposed to be the same age as the O5, they just weren't recruited until they were older (as shown in UXM #300). I based Emma's age on a comment she made in Morrison's run that she was 27. My numbers are based on the text, which generally supports the ratio. It's not just arbitrary.

I always thought Storm was a tad bit older than most of the O5 with Kurt being roughly the same age and Colossus being the youngest X-man until Kitty showed up. I'm pretty certain Colossus was the only teenager on the team until Kitty joined.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@oldnightcrawler: Storm was born in 1951, while Jean was born during 1956, so they're not the exact same age if i'm going to be specific. But my point is that Storm, during the 80s and 90s, looked for the majority like she had just hit 40 at the very least, and during the Extremists arc which was in 2007, she looked 50 something, if she was in her early 30s as your credible ratio has proven, then she artists wouldn't go out of their ways to make here look so damn mature. If she's a young as you say, i wouldn't see quite a few people saying she looks like a mom trying out her daughter's clothes in certain outfits, because the general consensus is that she's fairly older than the rest. But then i can only speak for Storm.

And i think this ratio is in fact quite arbitrary, but this comic books. It's never made sense to estimate a character's age based on thought up ratios.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@polarity: Yes, you're right, Colossus was in fact the youngest out of the second generation.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@tomchu: haha! okay, just checking..

but yeah, between 32-35, it doesn't need to be too specific, but around there by now, anyway.

@polarity said:

@oldnightcrawler said:Storm, Nightcrawler, and Colossus are all supposed to be the same age as the O5, they just weren't recruited until they were older (as shown in UXM #300). I based Emma's age on a comment she made in Morrison's run that she was 27. My numbers are based on the text, which generally supports the ratio. It's not just arbitrary.

I always thought Storm was a tad bit older than most of the O5 with Kurt being roughly the same age and Colossus being the youngest X-man until Kitty showed up. I'm pretty certain Colossus was the only teenager on the team until Kitty joined.

She could be, but we're never given any reason to think that. I think of it like, at the time of the X-men (vol. 1) #1:

Beast was 18,

Cyclops, Jean, and Angel were 17,

Iceman was 16,

Storm and Nightcrawler were between 16-18,

Colossus was 15.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: Storm was born in 1951, while Jean was born during 1956, so they're not the exact same age if i'm going to be specific.

what are you basing that on? just curious.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler:

Jean's tombstone when she "died" read "1956 - 1980", take that in mind, while for Ororo, there was a panel of her when she was a baby, her parents were holding her and the narration went something like "And it was a hot July of 1951".

You should also take in mind that Sage, the metaphorical 6th X-Man, stated that she was the same age as Beast as they were both recruited around the same time.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

@moywar700: You know Magneto is a holocaust survivor right? O.o

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@ageofhurricane said:

@oldnightcrawler:

Jean's tombstone when she "died" read "1956 - 1980", take that in mind, while for Ororo, there was a panel of her when she was a baby, her parents were holding her and the narration went something like "And it was a hot July of 1951".

You should also take in mind that Sage, the metaphorical 6th X-Man, stated that she was the same age as Beast as they were both recruited around the same time.

well, I do tend to think of relative ages as being more important than actual dates, because if Jean was born in 56, she would have been 7 when she joined the X-men, and Cyclops would be almost 50. That might not sound so crazy, but that would make also make Kitty almost 50 (47?) despite being a teenager for more than twenty years.

Good catch, though, I am willing to concede that Storm must therefore be 4 years older than Jean, and therefore 21 years old at the time of the X-men's debut (maybe 24 when she actually joined?). Perhaps that age difference was one of the reasons she was next in line for leadership after Cyclops.

But, yeah, I did totally forget about Sage, who would've had to have been at least 18 to infiltrate the Hellfire club.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#62  Edited By McKlayn

We know time slows down in the Marvel U but maybe we can create a collective list of the different ages of X-men characters. Come up with a age for 5-10 different character and we'll average them out til we come up with a good estimate. Also if you can justify your answers it would help. Like if someone's age was given in a book, would be a great example.

The answer to your question is very simple

Yes we can come up with round about ages of each X man character

HOWEVER

you will never get the entire forum to agree with each other on those ages

Diamondlifer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Diamondlifer1

@silver_raven: Nice estimates except Sunspot if im not mistaken in The New Mutants he was like 4 years younger than Sam and Rhane was a year younger than Roberto and Magma is older than Roberto

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc said:

Emma - 29

Cyclops - 29

Wolverine - 120

Cannonball - 22

Dani Moonstar - 22

Jubilee - 22

Kitty - 24

Colossus - 30

Rogue - 26

Storm - 29

Magneto - Late 60's (but physically like 40 something)

Xavier - Late 60's

Iceman - 26

Characters ages have been thrown around - unfortunately yet not surprisingly they often contradict each other. Plus writers aren't aiming for realism, rather what they feel works best for each character - allowing enough ambiguity for readers to project because ultimately how we project ages determines our own personal enjoyment and the more we individually enjoy the characters the more we are willing to give them money.

this seems about right to me, except I think it was stated that Colossus is about 7 years older than kitty

Polarity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Polarity

A couple of things:

Storm is slightly older than the 05.

Colossus is quite a bit younger than the rest of the ANAD team, in fact if Iceman is 26 then he would be a couple of years younger than him.

Sam and Dani are several years older then Kitty and the difference between Sam and Rogue should be measured in months not years. Sam was around 18 when the New Mutants debuted and Rogue was 18 when she joined the x-men.

mcelroys5th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, I know for a fact that The Five were all about the same age(except for Iceman who was 14) Beast was the oldest by a year and I didn't know who was the youngest of Jean, Scott and Warren so lets say when Havok and Polaris joined up they were Iceman's age and when the second generation(Storm, Wolverine and the like) three years had passed and two years later, the New Mutants started and about four years after that Gen X and a year after that the Xavier school opened. So I say its has been 20 years

Cyclops 36

Iceman 34

Warren 36

Beast 37

Phoenix 30(When she died)

Sage 36

Havok 34

Polaris 34

Nightcrawler 35 (Joined at 19)

Wolverine 208

Storm 36 (Joined at 19)

Colossus 32 (Joined at 18)

Banshee Died at 43 (Joined at 29)

Thunderbird (Joined and Died at 23)

Sunfire 36 (Joined at 19)

Shadowcat 28 (Joined at 13)

Rogue 29 (Joined at 16)

Dazzler 33 (Joined at 23)

Longshot 30 (Joined at 20)

Psylocke 35 (Joined at 23)

Forge 47 (Joined at 35)

Gambit 31 (Joined at 19)

Jubilee 21 (Joined at 13)

Bishop 45 (Joined at 23)

Cannonball 28 (Joined New Mutants at 15, Joined X-Men at 17)

Joseph (Died at 27 & Joined at 24)

Maggott (Died at 23 & Joined 18)

Cecilia Reyes 32 (Joined at 25)

Marrow 27 (Joined at 19)

Thunderbird II 29 (Joined at 25)

X-Man 25 (Joined at 20)

Cable 58 (Joined X-Men at 53, Joined New Mutants at 48)

Northstar 33 (Joined Alpha Flight at 18, Joined X-Men 28)

Wraith 23 (Joined X-Men at 18)

Sunpyre (Died at 20, Joined at 19)

Paulie Provenzo (Died at 26, Joined at 24)

Chamber 26 (Joined Generation X at 18, Joined X-Men at 20)

Frenzy 33 (Joined X-Men at 27)

Husk 24 (Joined Generation X at 16, Joined X-Men at 18)

White Queen 32 (Joined X-Men at 27, Joined Generation X at 24)

Avatar image for alienrobotzombieoverlord
AlienRobotZombieOverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The O5 were high school age when they started: Scott, Jean and Warren were about 16, Hank maybe a year older and Bobby a year younger. That would make Jean about 33 when she died in 1980. The rest of the O5 are in their 70s now and long retired.

Colossus was 14 when he was recruited in 1975 and 40 when he died in 2001. (It was very awkward for him when a 13 year-old Kitty Pryde started hitting on him when he was 20. Kitty's 47 now.) Kurt Wagner was 17 that same year; he died at age 54. Storm was 19; she's still alive in her late 50s now and retired. John Proudstar was 20 and died that same year. Logan was 83 (he was born in 1892), and he's over 120 now and still active. Sean Cassidy was 32 and he retired four years later at age 36.

A lot of younger X-Men are still around, though. For example, Warren had a son, Warren Worthington IV, who later became Archangel...

(Marvel would be a lot more interesting to me if their universe moved at real time and dead people stayed dead.)

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always thought white queen is older than the o5

Takeshi55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pietro and Wanda are in their 20s in the silver age comics, as they refer to the X-Men as dumb teens, which indicates they're older than them.

I'd say they're about 35-39.

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By RabumAlal

I think the original members should be around the same age. It doesn't make sense that Beast would be 40 when Scott is 33 or something.

Tazirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Psylocke was born in 1956 on 4/23 It's in the Captain Britain books. she's a few minutes older than Brian. When she went to Xaviers it was canonically 1986, so she was 30. She spent roughly a year with the team before joining, Kitty was 15, Doug was 14. She officially joined at 31, Got the Armour at 32, Went through the siege according to most sources a year later. Spent a few months with the Hand, got rescued, then put the X-men back together. She was around 34 when Blue and Gold started.

She "died" 3 years later Marvel time. She was dead for a year, Came back and has been alive and kicking for about 5 years Marvel time including ANAD. So Betsy is almost 40 age wise. Kwannon may have been younger when they did the silly body retcon. But after she died, Jamie created a new mixed body for her. So technically Betsy is about 5 in terms of being alive, 40 mentally, 30 physically.

SamantaGothic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scott 29, Emma 29 , Beast 31, Magik 20, Bobby 27, Kitty 23, Wolverine 120+, Storm 35, Magneto 60+..also Xavier...

my dad 44, my mom 41, my sis 3 ^_^

FS7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By FS7

There've been a few retcons regarding the X-Men's ages that have made things pretty confusing. "Marvel Time" was something that hadn't quite been established back in the late 60s, and some creators seemed to go by real time instead. That's how you wound up with Scott having a younger brother who was already graduating from college, which suggests that Scott would've been, like, at least 25 when Alex made his first appearance (never mind the fact that Scott was still being referred to as being a teenager as late as X-Men #46, just nine issues before Alex graduated college, and that the X-Men were still being billed as "The Strangest Teens of All" even after Alex joined!).

Obviously that just doesn't work when you take into account other comics set in the Marvel Universe at the time. Peter Parker aged about a fraction of what Scott aged during this time, for example.

So other creatives went on to retcon the O5's ages. In the last issue of X-Men: The Hidden Years, John Byrne had Beast turn 20, Mark Waid and Pasqual Ferry did an issue of X-Men shortly before Onslaught where Scott stated that he was 25, and so on. Other creative teams retconned their ages when they first joined the X-Men, making them younger when they first appeared.

EDITED TO ADD: Due to some new information, I'm disregarding that reference to Cyclops being 25 around the time of Onslaught. I reckon the original X-Men could only be one year older max without aging other characters like Spider-Man too much (bear in mind that Peter was still being referred to as a teenager as late as 1973's Marvel Team-Up 16, which came out YEARS after the original X-Men series went to reprint-only), so I'm taking that into account here.

Some retcons stick, others don't. Wolfsbane was said to be 14 in the New Mutants graphic novel, making her older than Kitty Pryde! Then, Claremont or someone changed their mind and decided that actually she was 13. But in New Mutants v2, we see flashbacks that hammer home the fact that Rahne was 14 at the time.

So, with that in mind, here are my current ages for the X-Men and co, based on a few references from the comics:

Psylocke – 35 (said to be about to turn 29 in a 1985 issue of Captain Britain; that's based on her birthdate at the time, until I see anything that contradicts that, I'll assume she was 29 when she joined the X-Men and that she's 35 now; like many of you have suggested, her twin brother Brian sure looks like he's in his mid-30s even if Betsy doesn't)

Beast – 32

Sage – 32 (Sage mentions she's the same age as Hank in X-Treme X-Men 3)

Omega Sentinel – 31 (said to be 28 when she became a Sentinel in HoX 1; that was seven months before Thunderbird III joined the X-Men, so)

Cyclops – 31

Iceman – 30

Emma – 29/30

Nightcrawler – 29 (turned 21 in Uncanny X-Men Annual 4, shortly after Kitty joined up)

Havok – 28 (stated to be 6 when his parents were abducted by the Sh'iar, when Scott was 10; I'm assuming Alex was about to turn 7 at the time, 'cause Scott really doesn't appear to be four whole years older than him)

Colossus – 26 (he was 19 around the time of Kitty's 14th birthday, as per Special Edition X-Men 1)

Karma – 26/27 (said to be 19 in an issue of New Mutants set during Kitty's 14th birthday)

Rogue – 25 (said to be 18 in Uncanny X-Men 182, and there's apparently an issue of X-Men Legacy that implied she was 23)

Siryn – 24 (said to be the oldest member of X-Force after Cable and Domino in X-Force 30, and it's mentioned in X-Force 91 that she was barely old enough to drink when she had her throat slit by Feral)

Cannonball – 23 (Said to be 20 in X-Force 37 and implied to be 21 in X-Force 96; according to Generation X 24, Sam's at least three years older than Paige, and her birthday's after his; this would seem to contradict that issue of Uncanny X-Men where Sam's ID says he's just turned 21, but hey)

Danielle Moonstar – 23 (an issue of New X-Men Academy X from before House of M implies she was 21 at the time)

Warpath – 22/23 (said to be 19 in X-Force 42, around the same time Cannonball was said to be 20, though whether he was born the same year as Sam is unknown)

Shadowcat – 21 (like I said, she should be a few months younger than Rahne, even if the way she carries herself makes her seem older)

Sunspot – 21 (Roberto was 14 when he joined the New Mutants, making him about the same age as Rahne and Kitty)

Wolfsbane – 21 (it's mentioned in an issue of New X-Men: Academy X that she was 19 when she had her affair with Elixir; seeing as that would make her the same age as Paige, who is three years younger than Sam, while Rahne is supposed to be two years younger than him, I'm assuming Rahne was about to turn 20 at the time, and she's a year older than Paige)

Husk – 20 (Husk was 19 when she was dating Angel)

A few guesses:

Cable – somewhere in his 50s (he already had a grown son in the future, then he came to the present, befriended Moira MacTaggert, became a mercenary, met Domino, attended and graduated from Harvard Law School… all before he became the New Mutants’ mentor and formed X-Force)

Banshee – mid to late 40s (he does have daughter in her mid-20s, after all; he married young, but still, he was probably already in his 20s when Terry was born)

Domino – early 40s

Cecilia Reyes – early 30s (based solely on how long it takes to study pre-med in college and go through med school)

Gambit – late 20s/early 30s (I’m leaning towards early 30s due to that comment by Mystique during Peter Milligan and Salvador Larroca’s run on X-Men about him being long past his prime)

Angel – 30 (I think he's supposed to be the same age as Scott)

Boom Boom – 21/22 (she should be about Sam’s age, right? Maybe a little younger?)

Avatar image for deactivated-60e87a786cc9c
deactivated-60e87a786cc9c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@fs7: Well, thanks for bumping this & the info.

chloros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Emma 27?

No Caption Provided

But yeah I usually picture her, Cyclops, Jean, Psylocke and Colossus in early/mid 30's. Iceman, Nightcrawler, Gambit and Rogue mid/late 20's. Kitty early/mid 20's. To me it feels like Storm is 45, just cause she comes off as the auntie.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fs7: ur missing the most important x-men of all jean?

other websites have emma 2 years younger then scott and jean(emma was a teen and jean was wearing her older marvel girl outfit in emma frost solo,)))

No Caption Provided

this pic shows emma 16 while scott and jean 18 hence the older costumes and now the original black and yellow outfits from when they first started

but im not the emma expert @pyrofn seems to be LOL

FS7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's funny, I was literally just looking through the Jean Grey page on Marvel Wiki for any references to her age. I haven't been able to find anything on how old she is or was at any given time (aside from the age the date on her gravestone implies, which, seems to have been retconned, as per what I mentioned above). Some people here seem to think she's Bobby's age? I always assumed Scott, Warren and Jean were all the same age.

As for that scene from the Emma Frost comic, I guess that does seem to suggest she's 2 or 3 years younger than Scott. But seeing as there've been so many different takes on Emma's origins, it's hard to tell what's true or false (or canon and not canon).

FS7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just found out that Luna, Quicksilver's daughter, was 6 years old in Son of M 4, which corroborates my theory about Cannonball being 22 at the time, despite what's on his driver's license later on, seeing as she was born shortly (literally a few months in real time) before the New Mutants were first formed. Cannonball was 16 when the team got together for the first time, and 16 + 6 = 22, so yeah.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sort of hard to determine considering most X-Men characters are tied to some real world war or event or situation in time.

JCG79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only Magneto's Holocaust connection will stick, the others are changed or ignored much like Reed's and Ben's WWII service.

Avatar image for theinsufferable
TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You mean to tell me Jean doesn't join the X-Men two months before JFK's death anymore?

AsheTDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

According to posts from Jordan D. White the editor in charge of the X titles Cyclops is around 27. So using that info...

Cyclops 27.

Jean 27.

Angel 27.

Beast 28, stated to be a year older than the other O5 members.

Iceman 26, stated to be a year younger than the other O5 members.

Emma Frost 27.

Storm 28, stated to be slightly older than the O5.

Colossus 25 or 26, stated to be slightly younger than the other Giant Sized X-men crew.

Nightcrawler 26.

Rogue 25.

Kitty Pryde 24.

Gambit 26.

Rachel Grey 21 or 22. Shown to be beginning college, but lost in time stream for years.

Cannonball 24.

Sunspot 24.

Mirage 24.

Magik 23.

Magma 23.

Wolfsbane 22.

So many more to come.

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By butterflykyss

Emma is not younger than any of the O5 or the giant size characters (storm, nightcrawler, colossus). she referred to the xmen at that in a fashion that indicated she was much older than them.

AsheTDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By AsheTDust

Emma was stated to be 27 during Morrison’s run. So that puts her at the same age as Cyclops, Jean and Angel.

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Emma was stated to be 27 during Morrison’s run. So that puts her at the same age as Cyclops, Jean and Angel.

Emma was simply in denial and delusional. in uncanny she referred to colossus, Logan, and ororo as young people when she captured them:

No Caption Provided

When Emma switched bodies with Ororo, shaw commented that in ororos body she was youthful also another indication she was much older than her:

No Caption Provided

anything that indicates she is younger than the colossus, who we know is around the age of the 05 if not younger, is retcon or showing her to be delusional.

AsheTDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@butterflykyss:

So it’s a retcon. Not to be dismissive, but it’s not like it matters much in the grand scheme of X-Men mythos.

Heck, Moira suddenly being a mutant is a much bigger deal than Emma’s age change.

Retcons happen, when they do it is hopefully to improve the quality of the story.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Cyclops and company should be in their early 30s IMO

FS7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, so as far as the whole debacle with Emma’s age goes:

Yes, she does refer to them as young people, but it’s worth pointing out that Logan was in that group. Wolverine sure as heck didn’t look a day under 40 back then. Emma herself does not look like she could be older than that. We could try to no-prize by saying that Emma was just referring to Ororo and Piotr, and Storm simply looks really young and Emma just assumed Storm was younger than her. Alternatively, we can chalk it up to a mistake on Claremont’s part (heck, wouldn’t be the first or last time Claremont added a line of dialogue that contradicted something in Byrne’s plot or art).

As for that other page, Shaw says “you still possess beauty, youth and the power of a goddess”. I don’t think this line of dialogue indicates that Shaw thinks she’s not beautiful, so there’s no reason to think he’s saying she isn’t young or as young as Storm. I think he’s just talking about how not everything about Emma being trapped in Ororo’s body is all that bad.

Finally, we could just consider that it is a retcon, and that, aside from that page from Morrison and Quitely’s run, there are other things to back that up (as seen in that “Emma Frost Files” link).

Oh, and no, Colossus is not the same age as the original X-Men. He was said to be 18 during Cockrum’s run, and 19 in that issue I mentioned before where Kitty turns 14. Heck, even Bobby’s older than Peter. That's something that's remained true over the years. Piotr has always been the runt of the All New, All Different team (right up until Kitty joins, that is).

Batvibe12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Mid 30s

1. Storm
  2. Forge
  3. Hank McCoy

Late 20s - Early 30s

1. Scott
  2. Jean
  3. Emma
  4. Piotr
  5. Betsy
  6. Gambit
  7. Lorna
  8. Alex

Early-Mid 20s

1. Everyone in the New Mutants
  2. Kitty
  3. Nightcrawler
  4. Rogue

I know I got half of these wrong, but...

Takeshi57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batvibe12:

I don't understand why everyone underestimates Nightcrawler's age. He was old enough to drink when he first joined the X-Men so he's clearly around Scott's age.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't understand why everyone underestimates Nightcrawler's age. He was old enough to drink when he first joined the X-Men so he's clearly around Scott's age.

Drinking ages were different in the 70s and 80s in certain places of the US. Nightcrawler could have been considered 18 and old enough to drink at the time. Granted I think the All New, All Different team were meant to all be older when they first joined, but were reduced in age over time.

TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@takeshi57 said:

Drinking ages were different in the 70s and 80s in certain places of the US. Nightcrawler could have been considered 18 and old enough to drink at the time. Granted I think the All New, All Different team were meant to all be older when they first joined, but were reduced in age over time.

Kurt's 21st birthday is in Uncanny X-Men annual 4, which was published in 1980 around the same time as Jean's death, at which point Jean's stated to be 24. And since Jean is usually considered to be Scott's age, Kurt should be a couple of years younger than Scott.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kurt's 21st birthday is in Uncanny X-Men annual 4, which was published in 1980 around the same time as Jean's death, at which point Jean's stated to be 24. And since Jean is usually considered to be Scott's age, Kurt should be a couple of years younger than Scott.

It's all over the place. In the issue where Cyclops first finds out Corsair is his father he refers to the plane crash as happening "20 years ago" and he is supposed to be roughly 9-10 years old when that happens, placing him at 30. That issue is about 1 to 2 years after Jean's death. Similarly, Storm's parents die in the Suez crisis which happened in the mid 50s, and she appears to be around 7 years old at the time (possibly older seeing as she supposedly survived on her own afterwards) and that incident was almost 30 years old when Storm recalls it, meaning she would have been early 30s at the time (late seventies)

Trying to equate the X-men's supposed ages is like an unsolvable math problem." x character in relation to y character = probably this age" It's sort of silly to worry about also considering A. they're fictional people and B. Almost all of them are tied to some real world event that would make them all elderly by now. It's just best to assume what people have been assuming, that they're all standard, perpetual super hero age (mid 20s to mid 30s)

TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By TheInsufferable

@cattlebattle: That is true, and the funny thing about comic aging is that the young characters have actually aged unlike their elder counterparts who have reached the age limit, which is why most of DC's former sidekicks look almost as old as their mentors, and New Mutants have a smaller age gap with the older X-Men right now. The real world events are mostly retconned though, unless they're very crucial to the character like Magneto, which still leaves a lot of problems in spite of explanations like "his body's been de-aged" and stuff like that. All in all, there's a good reason they usually try to avoid mentioning the characters' exact ages.

FS7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By FS7

I'd say the first wave of sidekicks is nowhere near their mentors' ages, when it comes to the way they're drawn or written.

I mean, every now and then an artist would draw Dick Grayson or Wally West looking like they were in their early 30s (by my reckoning), but that's the exception, not the rule. For the most part, the creators seem to be shooting for "20-something" for the first generation of former sidekicks, whereas with the mentors they tend to go for "mid 30s or maybe pushing 40 or maybe early 40s? Somewhere around there".

But that's always gonna be up to personal interpretation. I've seen people say "so clearly, based on the art in this issue, character x is supposed to be in their 30s", while to me that character seemed to be barely old enough to drink.