#1 Edited by time (5165 posts) - - Show Bio

Just curious, what are best stories for Kurt, Hank and Bobby Drake. If Your fan of these characters please share your favourite stories of them.

Nightcrawler

Beast

Iceman

#2 Posted by HAWK2916 (2067 posts) - - Show Bio

I find myself enjoying the current arc in Astonishing for Iceman

#3 Edited by time (5165 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawk2916: It's pretty good, I would like to know some other good Iceman stories as well.

#4 Edited by oldnightcrawler (5004 posts) - - Show Bio

@time said:

Just curious, what are best stories for Kurt, Hank and Bobby Drake. If Your fan of these characters please share your favorite stories of them.

who's Hank Drake?

haha! seriously, though.. for me, the Beast is one of my favorite characters, so I like just about any story that he's a main character in. I loved in the mid-90's when he took over as the leader of the blue team, and just about any story with him and Cecilia Reyes is good. Whedon's Astonishing X-Men run is a pretty epic depiction of him.

#5 Posted by time (5165 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler: Really your asking that, Hank is Beast and Bobby Drake is Iceman.

#6 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5004 posts) - - Show Bio

@time: yeah. Beast's last name isn't Drake, that's all. It was just a joke because you missed the second comma.

#7 Posted by slimlim (266 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawk2916 said:

I find myself enjoying the current arc in Astonishing for Iceman

yes. current arc of Astonishing is an epic Iceman story. unless they screw up the ending.

#8 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5004 posts) - - Show Bio

one of my all time favorite stories for Nightcrawler (and Wolverine) was a backup story from Classic X-men, when he was still new to the team. It starts with some kind of contest between the two, with the stakes being that the loser buys the beer.

I forget who wins (probably Wolverine), but instead of going back to the mansion to drink, Wolverine convinces Nightcrawler to come into town and go to Harry's Hideaway. Back then, Nightcrawler was very apprehensive about being seen in public, but Wolverine keeps egging him on with booze and dares. It's a great story about Nightcrawler learning to be proud of who he is and not bothered by the perceptions of others, and the beginning of my favorite friendship in comics.

#9 Posted by IrishX (2465 posts) - - Show Bio

I've enjoyed all the solo Nightcrawler series. The Winding Way is a great story.

#10 Posted by time (5165 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler: Sounds like a good story, can you remember the issue number. I would like to check it out.

#11 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5004 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by time (5165 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

one of my all time favorite stories for Nightcrawler (and Wolverine) was a backup story from Classic X-men, when he was still new to the team. It starts with some kind of contest between the two, with the stakes being that the loser buys the beer.

I forget who wins (probably Wolverine), but instead of going back to the mansion to drink, Wolverine convinces Nightcrawler to come into town and go to Harry's Hideaway. Back then, Nightcrawler was very apprehensive about being seen in public, but Wolverine keeps egging him on with booze and dares. It's a great story about Nightcrawler learning to be proud of who he is and not bothered by the perceptions of others, and the beginning of my favorite friendship in comics.

Yeah, classic and indicative of a time when the X-Men were a family in the making. Logan and Kurt were/are one of my favourite relationships in comics.

#14 Posted by time (5165 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

@oldnightcrawler said:

Yeah, classic and indicative of a time when the X-Men were a family in the making. Logan and Kurt were/are one of my favourite relationships in comics.

Your got any Beast or Iceman stories suggestions.

#15 Posted by Sinisteri (550 posts) - - Show Bio

For Beast.

For me, one of the best Beast stories was in Mutant X where Havoc spent time in a parallel universe. In that universe, Beast had experimented on himself altering his appearance and losing his intelligence making him fairly simple. In one story, he temporarily regained his super intelligence for a short period of time. Before he lost it again, Beast created an artificial intelligence houses in a super computer based on his brain/mind/personality which could later be used to guide his more simple self. That was a damn good Beast story.

#16 Posted by Sinisteri (550 posts) - - Show Bio

As for Iceman,

For me-- one of Iceman's best story was Emma possessing him when she woke from her Sentinel escape induced coma using his abilities in ways not seen before then: surviving holes blasted into his ice body, merging at with & at one point of a body of water to re-emerge at a different point/location of the body of water, turning into water to easily slide beneath a door into a secured room. This was the most powerful and versatile Iceman in his history.

His current story in Astonishing X-men is only now fully exploring how powerful he truly is.

#17 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5004 posts) - - Show Bio

As for Iceman,

For me-- one of Iceman's best story was Emma possessing him when she woke from her Sentinel escape induced coma using his abilities in ways not seen before then: surviving holes blasted into his ice body, merging at with & at one point of a body of water to re-emerge at a different point/location of the body of water, turning into water to easily slide beneath a door into a secured room. This was the most powerful and versatile Iceman in his history.

His current story in Astonishing X-men is only now fully exploring how powerful he truly is.

yeah, these are both excellent Iceman stories. Iceman, and even Beast can be harder to find stories really about them specifically, because it seems like so often they are used (to great effect) as supporting characters or comic relief. They were even originally developed as a comic duo in the original stories, providing, between the two of them, the original comic relief of the book. So I guess it makes sense. It really does make the stories that are really about either one feel that much more special, even after all this time.

#18 Posted by Sinisteri (550 posts) - - Show Bio

They got more spotlight or character focused stories in the original run of X-Factor. That series explored Beast self experimentations going too far and Iceman's love life, family life and uncontrollably lowering environmental temperature after one adventure.

#19 Posted by time (5165 posts) - - Show Bio

@sinisteri: I remember that story with Emma taking over Iceman body. It was a good Story.

#20 Posted by genelaw9 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Nightcrawler - The 12-issue run from 2004 was great but definitely a little weird. I would pick up early Excalibur stories. Most stories were team focused but I think it was Claremont's best characterization of Kurt.

Iceman - Trickiest of the three. The Emma Frost possession story was a good story for older Bobby. If you like original team stuff, check out Jeff Parker's X-men First Class. Good fun and good stories for Bobby and Hank.

Beast - Whedon's Astonishing X-men run was a good one for Hank. Gillen wrote a very clever mini called S.W.O.R.D. which featured a good (but oddly drawn) Beast. Endangered Species was a great solo-ish "team-up" with Dark Beast but it gets quite serious. For classic Beast stories check out old Avengers issues (around issue 151?).

#21 Edited by time (5165 posts) - - Show Bio

@genelaw9: Sounds good, I will check them out. Thanks.

#22 Edited by John Valentine (16335 posts) - - Show Bio

Carey's first year and a bit on X-Men Vol.2 (up until Messiah Complex) has some really good Iceman moments. Liu's most recent focus on Bobby in Astonishing is good, if not a more negative portrayal of his character.

Wolverine and the X-Men #2 (though currently a bit of a joke of a series) had a really good Wolverine/Iceman & Iceman moment in it.

Nation X #1 (2009) mini-series, had a really good Iceman feature in it, written by Yost. This is pretty much how I view the character.

The early 90s issues with Emma Frost and, IMO, Operation Zero Tolerance are good stories for Bobby too.

I'd most definitely avoid any of the Chuck Austen stuff from early 2000s. Awful. Not just for Iceman characterisation (an entitled, whiny jerk who's inferior to Alex Summers in pretty much every way) but also as a comic in general.

#23 Edited by cattlebattle (13347 posts) - - Show Bio

I always liked Amazing Adventures Beast. That series seemed more in tone with 70s sci fi-horror, Beast may not be written the same way everybody knows him now but its a personal favorite of mine.