Been away for 8+ years, help me catch up get a new pull list

gater4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By gater4

Super quick background. Collected and read from 1984-2004. Collected everything, but focus was all X-Books (ALL - Deadpool, Bishop, Cable, Wolvie, even stuff like New Mutants and Excalibur and ... everything...Power Pack..yuck). Got married and kids entered the picture - stopped reading around House of M, subscriptions ended around Uncanny 500. Been buying random TPBs along the way, but mostly non-Marvel stuff on recommendations (Walking Dead, Fables, Y:The Last Man, Sleeper, etc). But now the kids are needing a little less attention and a little less $$$. I certainly appreciate certain writers and follow them as I can (Vaughn, Brubaker, Ennis, Morrison, Johns...)

So, I'm looking to catch up and re-sub...

Question #1: Since House of M, what major events happened that I need to know about? I can pick up some TPBs on big time events. Got some expendable cash (maybe like $300-400 to spend on trades to catch up). If it's garbage, I can skip it...

Question #2: I'm sure that like everything else, there are now exponentially more X-Books and similar titles and minis and all - what are the decent ongoings I should add to my pull list? Uncanny, X-Men and Wolverine are still around, I'm sure and I subscribe to even if they are shit (because I'm stupid), but what else is good? Focus on the X-world, will expand into the MU if they are really well done.

Many thanks in advance and excited to be back!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@gater4: Well, I hate to say it, but you've likely already read the best that the X-men has to offer. New X-men and Astonishing X-men are really, IMHO, the best things that the X-men franchise has ever come out with.

After House of M came Decimation, which was a misnomer (as to decimate something means to reduce it by 10%), and it of course focused on the effects of the whole 'no more mutants' thing. It wasn't bad, largely because it brought with it a new X-factor title centered around Madrox which was ongoing until I believe last year, but overall the event was rather...meh. I'd suggest looking up a summary online instead of trying to track it down.

Something called Unstoppable came out next, but I don't remember anything about it, so I'll talk about Deadly Genesis instead (it came next). I would not recommend tracking it down- all you really need to know is that the third Summers brother is revealed; his name is Vulcan, he's an omega-level energy manipulator, and he's a jerk.

After Deadly Genesis Vulcan goes off into space for reasons I don't recall and tries to take over the Shi'ar empire in The Rise and fall of the Shi'ar Empire, which I wrote my first review on this site about (link).

Endangered Species was next, and it focused both on Beast and explaining why some mutants still had their powers following House of M. I think this is possibly the last time I remember Beast getting characterized decently in an X-men comic, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Next came Messiah Complex, which was about the first mutant birth since M-day and introduced a new addition to the Summers family, Hope (though she would be named that later). The event was pretty much most of the X-men factions and enemies fighting to either steal or protect an infant, and serves as a precursor to a far better event which happened a few years ago, Second Coming, which we'll get to later.

Divided We Stand, which was about characters dealing with the dissolution of the X-men as a team, and was actually fairly decent.

The X-men soon reconvene, however, and this time in San Francisco, which was the first time this had happened since they relocated to Australia in the 1980s. It's okay, might be worth checking out.

X-Infernus is next, and it's pretty much all about Magik. If you don't like her, don't read it.

Messiah War, the precursor for Second coming, came next. It's a crossover between the Cable and X-factor titles. It was okay.

Utopia, which takes place during Dark Reign, is essentially about Norman Osborn creating his own team of (Dark) X-men and trying to use it and his Avengers to get rid of the actual X-men. It wasn't horrible.

In Nation X Magneto returns and Beast leaves. Yet again, it wasn't horrible.

Next was Necrosha, in which Selene returns and uses the transmode virus to bring various dead X-characters to life as a sort of army so she can become a goddess. This brought Cypher back into the picture and involved possibly the coolest (visually) incarnation of X-force I have ever seen.

Second Coming, my personal favourite X-men story of recent years, was next. It's the final part of the Messiah trilogy (that being Messiah Complex and Messiah War) and spanned most X-titles at the time. I really don't want to spoil it, so I'll just say it's excellent and you should definitely read it.

Curse of the Mutants was next, and it was stupid. Jubilee became a vampire. Don't read it.

Then came Age of X, which was good.

Schism was next, and it sucked. Don't buy it.

Regenesis was a bit better than Schism, I guess, but that's not difficult.

Avengers vs X-men was terrible. Again, don't buy it. Read a summary online or something.

Battle of the Atom was remarkably unimportant and not worth paying attention to.

And that should be all the story arcs! Welcome back into the world of the X-men, and have fun catching up!

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@squares said:

@gater4: Well, I hate to say it, but you've likely already read the best that the X-men has to offer. New X-men and Astonishing X-men are really, IMHO, the best things that the X-men franchise has ever come out with.

After House of M came Decimation, which was a misnomer (as to decimate something means to reduce it by 10%), and it of course focused on the effects of the whole 'no more mutants' thing. It wasn't bad, largely because it brought with it a new X-factor title centered around Madrox which was ongoing until I believe last year, but overall the event was rather...meh. I'd suggest looking up a summary online instead of trying to track it down.

Something called Unstoppable came out next, but I don't remember anything about it, so I'll talk about Deadly Genesis instead (it came next). I would not recommend tracking it down- all you really need to know is that the third Summers brother is revealed; his name is Vulcan, he's an omega-level energy manipulator, and he's a jerk.

After Deadly Genesis Vulcan goes off into space for reasons I don't recall and tries to take over the Shi'ar empire in The Rise and fall of the Shi'ar Empire, which I wrote my first review on this site about (link).

Endangered Species was next, and it focused both on Beast and explaining why some mutants still had their powers following House of M. I think this is possibly the last time I remember Beast getting characterized decently in an X-men comic, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Next came Messiah Complex, which was about the first mutant birth since M-day and introduced a new addition to the Summers family, Hope (though she would be named that later). The event was pretty much most of the X-men factions and enemies fighting to either steal or protect an infant, and serves as a precursor to a far better event which happened a few years ago, Second Coming, which we'll get to later.

Divided We Stand, which was about characters dealing with the dissolution of the X-men as a team, and was actually fairly decent.

The X-men soon reconvene, however, and this time in San Francisco, which was the first time this had happened since they relocated to Australia in the 1980s. It's okay, might be worth checking out.

X-Infernus is next, and it's pretty much all about Magik. If you don't like her, don't read it.

Messiah War, the precursor for Second coming, came next. It's a crossover between the Cable and X-factor titles. It was okay.

Utopia, which takes place during Dark Reign, is essentially about Norman Osborn creating his own team of (Dark) X-men and trying to use it and his Avengers to get rid of the actual X-men. It wasn't horrible.

In Nation X Magneto returns and Beast leaves. Yet again, it wasn't horrible.

Next was Necrosha, in which Selene returns and uses the transmode virus to bring various dead X-characters to life as a sort of army so she can become a goddess. This brought Cypher back into the picture and involved possibly the coolest (visually) incarnation of X-force I have ever seen.

Second Coming, my personal favourite X-men story of recent years, was next. It's the final part of the Messiah trilogy (that being Messiah Complex and Messiah War) and spanned most X-titles at the time. I really don't want to spoil it, so I'll just say it's excellent and you should definitely read it.

Curse of the Mutants was next, and it was stupid. Jubilee became a vampire. Don't read it.

Then came Age of X, which was good.

Schism was next, and it sucked. Don't buy it.

Regenesis was a bit better than Schism, I guess, but that's not difficult.

Avengers vs X-men was terrible. Again, don't buy it. Read a summary online or something.

Battle of the Atom was remarkably unimportant and not worth paying attention to.

And that should be all the story arcs! Welcome back into the world of the X-men, and have fun catching up!

Pretty much, but I'd recommend reading All New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men. Good books.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares: I second the All-new X-men endorsement!

Avatar image for blackserenade83
BlackSerenade83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get Magneto. That series is fantastic. Possibly my favorite ongoing right now.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares said:

@squares: I second the All-new X-men endorsement!

I guess I'll change my username to Squares.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@gater4 said:

Super quick background. Collected and read from 1984-2004. Collected everything, but focus was all X-Books (ALL - Deadpool, Bishop, Cable, Wolvie, even stuff like New Mutants and Excalibur and ... everything...Power Pack..yuck). Got married and kids entered the picture - stopped reading around House of M, subscriptions ended around Uncanny 500. Been buying random TPBs along the way, but mostly non-Marvel stuff on recommendations (Walking Dead, Fables, Y:The Last Man, Sleeper, etc). But now the kids are needing a little less attention and a little less $$$. I certainly appreciate certain writers and follow them as I can (Vaughn, Brubaker, Ennis, Morrison, Johns...)

So, I'm looking to catch up and re-sub...

Question #1: Since House of M, what major events happened that I need to know about? I can pick up some TPBs on big time events. Got some expendable cash (maybe like $300-400 to spend on trades to catch up). If it's garbage, I can skip it...

Had you read/finished reading House of M or Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men (#1-24)? those are still some of the better/more relevant stories from where it sounds like you left off. I'd recommend those pretty highly if you haven't read them; probably get them all in trade for between $100-130, I'd imagine.

After that, Ed Brubaker's Divided arc (from Uncanny X-men #495-499) is really good. That I would recommend highly. Uncanny X-men basically becomes the main title around this time and continues to be until the series ends in issue #544 at the end of 2011. It's up and down through this period, but '08-'11 is basically the period the X-men moved to San Francisco and established Utopia. More interesting than that story itself, in my opinion, were the squad books that came out of it like New Mutants (vol.3, 2009), and especiallyUncanny X-Force (vol.1, 2010), which is still pretty relevant.

Schism (2011) is the story of how the X-men split into factions over those who want to remain on Utopia following Cyclops and those who want to return to the school with the other X-men, and Avengers Vs. X-Men is the story of how Cyclops' X-men become outlaws to the rest of the X-men and the MU. Both are pretty relevant to the current landscape, but neither of them are especially good on their own. At the very least, they're worth reading about, but I wouldn't feel bad about reading them for free if you get the chance. Or you could fast-track both of them by reading the Avengers Vs X-Men: Consequences mini (2013), which is actually pretty well done.

Question #2: I'm sure that like everything else, there are now exponentially more X-Books and similar titles and minis and all - what are the decent ongoings I should add to my pull list? Uncanny, X-Men and Wolverine are still around, I'm sure and I subscribe to even if they are shit (because I'm stupid), but what else is good? Focus on the X-world, will expand into the MU if they are really well done.

If I were to recommend which current X-men books I thought were most worthwhile at the moment, I'd say:

• Wood's X-Men (vol.4, 2013), which is about Storm's X-men, based out of the JG School. Meandering plots, but great character work.
  • Bendis' Uncanny X-Men (vol.3, 2013), which is about Cyclops' outlaw X-men. Arguably one of the best X-men books in years.
  • Latour's Wolverine & the X-Men (vol.2, 2014), which is about Wolverine's students at the JG School. The first volume of this series, by Jason Aaron, is not that great overall, but this new series is quite good so far.
  • Peter David's All-New X-Factor (2014), about a new, corporately funded mutant team with Gambit as the main character. This isn't exactly an X-men book, so much as a book with a lot of X-related characters; but it's still probably Marvel's best team book at the moment.
  • Aaron's Amazing X-Men (2014, mostly) has mainly focused on Nightcrawler. It's been hit or miss in the first 6 issues, so it may be a pass compared to some of the other books at the moment, but Kyle and Yost are taking over in issue 8 or 9, so I'm keeping it on my radar until then at least.

hope that helps, and welcome back :v

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I just want to post in here because the information given is awesome! I'm a bit in the same boat as the thread maker.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gater4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks guys for all the insight! I got my tpb list and my new pull list, thanks! I appreciate you all taking the time to respond.