#1 Edited by RDClip (1129 posts) - - Show Bio

I was just wondering. Every mutant we typically see in X-Men has useful powers (yes, I bet goldballs will find a use for his powers), but has the comic ever shown a mutant with almost completely worthless/useless powers?

#2 Edited by goobot (516 posts) - - Show Bio

Not sure about the comic, but in X2 one kid just has a weird tongue.

#3 Edited by Jimmie_Hudson_ (288 posts) - - Show Bio

meg from family guy can grow her nails and it isn't really useful. however, i like to believe that there is no such thing as a useless power. one can always find use of any and all powers. now some powers may be less useful than others tho.

#4 Edited by ArturoCalaKayVee (11563 posts) - - Show Bio

There are a ton of mutants with useless powers and they appear in X-Men books all the time. Read Wolverine and the X-Men and you'll witness dozens. Grant Morrison's New X-Men had tons of "useless" mutants as well. Same with Whedon's Amazing run. They're everywhere.

#5 Edited by Squares (6444 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on how you define useless.

There was, for example, a mutant named Jazz who had blue skin (that's it). Beak, Choir, Ugly John, Wraith, Forearm, Pako, possibly the nameless Michael Jackson ripoff, and Sally Floyd's daughter are all good examples too.

#6 Posted by Rebelpunk13 (81 posts) - - Show Bio

wasnt there a mutant named Change who can produce the exact amount of change from hes pocket or something? Or am i high?

#7 Edited by kgb725 (6440 posts) - - Show Bio

Cypher he could only talk different languages and he was only useful to speak to aliens who spoke perfect english before then

#8 Posted by Squares (6444 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725 said:

Cypher he could only talk different languages and he was only useful to speak to aliens who spoke perfect english before then

You just said that his power has a use, therefore your point is completely invalid.

#9 Posted by darthphoenix (756 posts) - - Show Bio

why are the students in the jean grey school look more like murlocks or science lab projects?

#10 Posted by kgb725 (6440 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by adamTRMM (1752 posts) - - Show Bio

why are the students in the jean grey school look more like murlocks or science lab projects?

Because Aaron thinks that concept is "cool".

#12 Posted by Squares (6444 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725 said:

@squares: All powers have a use

Yeah, because translucent skin is a useful power. Or, say, having a bunch of mouths on your neck.

Read the OP.

#13 Edited by JetiiMitra (8611 posts) - - Show Bio

This guy

#14 Posted by TazzMission (5488 posts) - - Show Bio

jubilee. fire crackers for powers is the worst

#15 Posted by Dr_Harlequin (485 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran said:

This guy

Does that dude have three faces? Ew

I hope he's just turning his head.

#16 Posted by JetiiMitra (8611 posts) - - Show Bio

@dr_harlequin: No, he has three faces. His name is Ugly John and he died in like 3 pages.

#17 Posted by THUNDERBOLT30 (10455 posts) - - Show Bio

Jia Jing & Shark Girl seem a bit useless as they are now,

#18 Posted by Deadpool_is_better_than_you (59 posts) - - Show Bio

Deadpool

#19 Posted by bigtewell (749 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran: well he has three mouths soo he could be eatimg with one or two and talking with the third or sucking 3 dicks at once

#20 Posted by Squares (6444 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran said:

This guy

Does that dude have three faces? Ew

I hope he's just turning his head.

Yes, he has three faces, he's called Ugly John.

#21 Posted by Dr_Harlequin (485 posts) - - Show Bio

@squares: Maybe he can use it for Poker?

#22 Posted by Rubear (477 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725 said:

Go read New Mutatns last volume... xD

#23 Edited by skypilotbinky (98 posts) - - Show Bio

There was a member of Gene Nation named Integer back in the 90s that existed only as a numerical concept. Probably the most ridiculous mutant ever. Tops anything Aaron or Morrison made up or any of the Morlocks. There's also mutants like...

Bliss (tongue has a mouth kind of like a xenomorph)
Blow-Hard (blew wind out of his pipe)
Tar Baby (stuff stuck to him because his skin was tar)
Tommy (two dimensional girl)
Beak (he had a beak and chicken wings)
No Girl (telepathic brain in a jar)
Glob Herman / Sack (gelatinous mutants)
Dummy (gas in a suit)
Basilisk (IDK, he had this thing where his eyes should be that did something)
Squid Boy (breathes underwater)
Forearm (long forearms)
Longneck (long neck)
Choir (she had three mouths on her neck)
El Guapo (controlled his skateboard with his mind)
Sluk (he looked like a depressed fry guy from McDonalds)
Tag (caused people to run away from anyone he touched)
Preview (precognition limited to several minutes in advance)
DJ (energy powers based on music)
Rain Boy (water in a suit)
Zeeshan (face melted)
Eye Boy (has lots of eyes)
Shark Girl (turns into a shark)
Face (pretty much Chamber except it's his whole face not his jaw/chest)

#24 Posted by tomasmaclgh (126 posts) - - Show Bio

@squares said:

There was, for example, a mutant named Jazz who had blue skin (that's it). Beak, Choir, Ugly John, Wraith, Forearm, Pako, possibly the nameless Michael Jackson ripoff, Ernst, and Sally Floyd's daughter are all good examples too.

She has superhuman strength...

#25 Posted by Squares (6444 posts) - - Show Bio

@squares said:

There was, for example, a mutant named Jazz who had blue skin (that's it). Beak, Choir, Ugly John, Wraith, Forearm, Pako, possibly the nameless Michael Jackson ripoff, Ernst, and Sally Floyd's daughter are all good examples too.

Oh. I retract that statement, then.

#26 Edited by adamTRMM (1752 posts) - - Show Bio

@squares said:

Did she ever show this ability? Because she's actually a body Cassandra Nova originally used in E for Extinction.

#27 Posted by Oscars94 (2507 posts) - - Show Bio

A lot of Cyclops new team. GoldBalls?

#28 Posted by PastePotPete (405 posts) - - Show Bio

gauntlet he is just green skinned and is decent with a gun and has a bad -a$$ attitude

#29 Posted by JonSmith (3996 posts) - - Show Bio

All powers have a use if you're creative enough and in the right situation. No power is useful ALL the time, but EVERY power is useful sometime. For examples:

@oscars94 said:

A lot of Cyclops new team. GoldBalls?

Imagine Goldballs taking trajectory lessons from Cyclops, learning how to predict how his shots will ricochet perfectly. It would take a lot of practice, but properly trained, he'd be able to take out an entire room of people with a single shot, much less his usual volley.

Now for the rest, courtesy of @skypilotbinky:

Bliss (tongue has a mouth kind of like a xenomorph): That additional tongue/mouth produces venom. Think a REALLY vicious Poison Ivy.

Blow-Hard (blew wind out of his pipe): Created gusts of wind. Such as might be useful for getting rid of poison gas's or fumes.

Tar Baby (stuff stuck to him because his skin was tar): Useful for capturing a target. Grab 'em and they're stuck. Or climb walls like Spider-Man.

Tommy (two dimensional girl): Could for camouflage (graffiti, just by leaning against a wall), or slipping through otherwise inaccessible points.

Beak (he had a beak and chicken wings): Also has slightly enhanced durability, agility, strength, hollow bones, and that beak of his? Hooked. As in meant for ripping stuff out of prey.

No Girl (telepathic brain in a jar): Telepathic. Immobile, but telepathic. Think Xavier taken to the extreme.

Glob Herman / Sack (gelatinous mutants): Sack possesses people, Glob is flammable and strong.

Dummy (gas in a suit): Take him out of the suit, he's intangible.

Basilisk (IDK, he had this thing where his eyes should be that did something): Allowed him to emit a strobe that paralyzes targets.

Squid Boy (breathes underwater): Try and drown him. I DARE YOU.

Forearm (long forearms): For those cookies that are just out of reach on the top shelf. Not to mention both villainous restraints are designed for standard human proportions. Having arms longer than that on such a device could be an asset. It's still a pretty lame power though.

Longneck (long neck): Not as lame as this guy's though. It's not USELESS, I guarantee he can see over a crowd better than most non flyer's, but the longer neck is a fairly large weakness. Hence why it killed him when his powers were removed.

Choir (she had three mouths on her neck): Why do you think she's called Choir? She's a one girl quartet! And you need to raise a ruckus, either for a distraction or otherwise, she'd be good to have on hand, on account of having four voices for the price of one.

El Guapo (controlled his skateboard with his mind): Trip up opponents, keep an appendage handy even when separated or locked up.

Sluk (he looked like a depressed fry guy from McDonalds): Eyes on stalks. See Longneck.

Tag (caused people to run away from anyone he touched): Need to evacuate a crowd for reasons you can't explain, such as a bomb about to go off and you know no one will believe you? Tag.

Preview (precognition limited to several minutes in advance): Spidey makes due with barely a fraction of this. Properly trained, he could go all Mister X, able to see an opponents moves in advance and react accordingly.

DJ (energy powers based on music): The dude is a walking arsenal of superpowers so long as he's got his MP3 player. Or his mouth free. You put him on a team with Choir and they're a great team.

Rain Boy (water in a suit): A living fire hose. Good enough for Hydro Man, good enough for mutants.

Zeeshan (face melted): Wasn't just his face. He was completely beginning to melt. We don't know what his full powers would have been had he not taken his life, but it's safe to assume some form of liquid. See Rain Boy.

Eye Boy (has lots of eyes): Each of which see something else. Some eyes see normally. Some see different spectrum's of light. Some see magic. Some see thoughts. Memories. Some have X-Ray vision. And so on.

Shark Girl (turns into a shark): If you think this power is useless, you're obviously not a fan of Street Sharks, and for that, shame on you.

Face (pretty much Chamber except it's his whole face not his jaw/chest): ... The poor guy's still got his energy blasts. Don't take that from him. S'all he's got. C'mon.

Point is: ANY skill, no matter how useless it seems, when properly applied, can be useful. Even if it only makes things a little more convenient or has downsides, it still has a use. Especially in the world of supervillains and mayhem the X-Men live in.

#30 Posted by PapiNacho (2407 posts) - - Show Bio

Toad?

#31 Edited by Outside_85 (8966 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really, every Marvel mutant power can find some kind of useful application.

Didn't Newsarama once make a list of 'useless mutants'? And the winner was some guy who could throw some of his bloodvessles around? (he's dead now).

#32 Edited by skypilotbinky (98 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonsmith said:

Point is: ANY skill, no matter how useless it seems, when properly applied, can be useful. Even if it only makes things a little more convenient or has downsides, it still has a use. Especially in the world of supervillains and mayhem the X-Men live in.

Thing is the OP said almost worthless/useless powers. The very idea of someone having a "power" suggests that they have something they can do that most people can't. However the usefulness of those powers can only be measured in the variety of the situations they can be applied. Most of the mutants I listed can only use there powers in very specific scenarios. Most of those scenarios do not include altercations. Some have powers but lack the skills or other powers to use them. For instance Tar Baby could stick to you but he lacks the strength to subdue someone so his enemies would just have an annoying person stuck to them. Preview's power could be compared to a Spidey Sense but Spidey also has superhuman strength and reflexes to take advantage of his Spidey Sense. At best Preview can see her ass getting owned several moments in advance. Tags power wouldn't have worked in your scenario because he can't control the direction people run and the tagged individual would still be in danger. In the case of No-Girl, telepathy is a useful power, but she lacks mobility in a universe where you could swing a cat and hit a telepath. At least people gave a shit about Xavier enough to build him a hover chair.

#33 Posted by Oscars94 (2507 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Posted by tomasmaclgh (126 posts) - - Show Bio

@adamtrmm: I actually don't remember seeing her use her powers. But she is listed as having them.

#35 Edited by amseaton (240 posts) - - Show Bio

@tazzmission:

Jubilee also possessed the ability to detonate matter at a sub-atomic level, essentially making her a walking atomic bomb. According to Emma Frost, Jubilee was one of the most powerful mutants she had ever encountered, but noted that her fear of harming others kept her from using those powers to their full potential.

@deadpool_is_better_than_you Deadpool is not a mutant.

#36 Posted by LordOfAllHumans (4129 posts) - - Show Bio

@squares said:

@kgb725 said:

Yeah, because translucent skin is a useful power. Or, say, having a bunch of mouths on your neck.

Read the OP.

Actually the girl with a bunch of mouths on her neck (Irina I believe he name was), was very useful when the Umen attacked, Jean had her project multiple voices to make the Umen think they were surrounded by a bunch of invisible mutants. As far as the translucent skin, if you are talking about Wraith, it was explained by Jean that he had not yet unlocked the full uses of his power and that his translucent skin was only a side effect of his power to create a field of invisibility, along with his ability to cause pain by directly effecting the brain through touch. If you're not talking about him then my bad.

#37 Edited by Squares (6444 posts) - - Show Bio

@squares said:

@kgb725 said:

Read the OP.

Actually the girl with a bunch of mouths on her neck (Irina I believe he name was), was very useful when the Umen attacked, Jean had her project multiple voices to make the Umen think they were surrounded by a bunch of invisible mutants. As far as the translucent skin, if you are talking about Wraith, it was explained by Jean that he had not yet unlocked the full uses of his power and that his translucent skin was only a side effect of his power to create a field of invisibility, along with his ability to cause pain by directly effecting the brain through touch. If you're not talking about him then my bad.

No, she wasn't useful, the U-men saw through it immediately.

But I'd forgotten about Wraith, good point.

#38 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@adamtrmm said:
@darthphoenix said:

Because Aaron thinks that concept is "cool".

You know, the point of the X-Men was to be an allegory for minorities and down-trodden social groups, but goddamnit the new students freak me out. Prejudice-gauges at full blast!

#39 Edited by LordOfAllHumans (4129 posts) - - Show Bio

@squares said:

@lordofallhumans said:

@squares said:

@kgb725 said:

Read the OP.

No, she wasn't useful, the U-men saw through it immediately.

But I'd forgotten about Wraith, good point.

She was useful. Even if momentarily, Jean found a use for her power. You are arguing effectiveness, the topic of this thread is about uselessness. Jean wanted voices to be physically projected around the the Umen, and they were.

#40 Posted by Chapmar (192 posts) - - Show Bio

Blow-Hard (blew wind out of his pipe) - His power clearly has the use of being able to make millions laugh with one simple description.....

#41 Posted by LordOfAllHumans (4129 posts) - - Show Bio

How is No-Girl being listed as having a useless power? Her power is telepathy (one of the more useful and versatile powers around), her lack of mobility has nothing to do with her mutant power. She was not always a brain in a jar.

#42 Edited by adamTRMM (1752 posts) - - Show Bio

@knightrise said:

You know, the point of the X-Men was to be an allegory for minorities and down-trodden social groups, but goddamnit the new students freak me out. Prejudice-gauges at full blast!

I've always said that X-men can be so much more then a "mistreated minority" :) But, if it sells, then it's "good" enough. For Marvel of course.

#43 Edited by Squares (6444 posts) - - Show Bio
#44 Posted by THORSON (2384 posts) - - Show Bio
#45 Posted by THORSON (2384 posts) - - Show Bio

rouge.

i'd like to meet the creator of that character.

#46 Posted by Farkam (4889 posts) - - Show Bio

A lot of folks here don't know what useless means. Tskk.