ANXM #10 Discussion

CTG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CTG

Wow, that was sweet, I think I need to read it again to take everything in.

Early thoughts:

• Not a surprise that the Cuckoos are heading w/ Cyclops
  • I think Jean is going also.
  • Awesome stuff for Young Iceman lol
Avatar image for illyanarasputin
IllyanaRasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By IllyanaRasputin

I don't think it's Jean going. At least I hope it's not Jean going. Personally I think it's going to be Beast. More or less because he didn't say much throughout the whole issue and it would make sense because there was a lot of interaction with older Beast and Cyclops. Maybe younger Beast see's the faults with his older self and is seeing Cyclops is trying to do the right thing with him and his school.

I'm kind of cheesed no other students are going. Maybe in Uncanny X-Men we'll see more mutants tag along with the mystery O5 character. I mean I'm glad the Cuckoos are heading w/ Cyclops, but would love to see, Surge, Dust, Rockslide, Mercury, Pixie and Gabriel join Cyclops too.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Wait, so allthe Cuckoos are headed with them ? What a load sh*t, as expected.

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think it's Jean going. At least I hope it's not Jean going. Personally I think it's going to be Beast.

I agree with the OP, I think Jean is going. But as an undercover agent. She'll use her telepathy to trick Emma, because although Emma is strong, she's not as strong as Jean (right? I don't know that much about the X-Men, sorry!).

I think it was a great issue! Except for the art. Everything was fine, but Wolverine's face looked like ET! It was really distracting for several panels.

IllyanaRasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gotwillpower: Not to sound rude but did you read the issue? Now that the Cuckoo's are on the team they have 3 powerful telepath's that could quite possibly take out Jean and know that she's just there for intel. Also, Jean wasn't able to read any of their thoughts, either due to tech or Emma Frost is slowly gaining her abilities back and blocked telepaths out from their minds Also, I don't think you should automatically doubt that Emma would just let Jean Grey fly in and infiltrate their new base. She might have lost her powers but she hasn't lost her intellect.

Haha. Have to agree with you about Wolverine's face also.

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@illyanarasputin: But Jean never told anyone she was going undercover, so for a while Wolverine's X-men won't even realize she's a double agent. Also, I don't think she needs to be able to enter anyone else's head, just be able to defend her own. Redirect mind searches to false information. And, I don't mean Jean will infiltrate them by "Flying in," but rather by pretending she's accepted Cyclops's offer.

GonnaRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GonnaRain

"No one wants to hear you talk yourself out of responsibility for the @#@! you've done in your life."

That's pure gold. Please Wolvi do continue.

I really liked this issue, but as always, it's pretty much just because of the Uncanny Team. Immonen's Emma is awesome, just like all his art, he's truly an amazing artist. And Magik's porting seemed splendid.

I also expected more students to join Scott, but I'm guessing it's my personal opinion, because if it were me, I would jump that boring ship in a second and join the new Xavier's School.

Anyways, this will be a long month for sure.

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

I'm done reading this book. All talk with very very little progression for 5 issues in a row.

CerealKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

it was such a cruel cliffhanger!

and i dont think jean will go, since it just seems to make sense to leave her on wolverines team as their prime telepath now that scotts team has the cuckoos, from a smart writing point of view. they cant have all the strongest telepaths on one team!

my bets are on hank, he's been pretty quiet about his feelings so far i think. he's due for a dramatic outburst! and it would so stick it to older beast plus maybe redeem him for some fans. have at least one hank mccoy that people still like at this point hahaha.

i thought for the whoke issue they were building up to see young scott go with the uncanny team but they shot that dead. i kind of wanted to see that happen though haha

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gonnarain: I would go to Xavier's school too. Wolverine is just mad cause he loves Jean, and the rest of the school misinterprets Scott's message. They think he wants to attack humans, but I get the impression that Scott is acting in defense of mutant kind.

my bets are on hank, he's been pretty quiet about his feelings so far i think. he's due for a dramatic outburst! and it would so stick it to older beast plus maybe redeem him for some fans. have at least one hank mccoy that people still like at this point hahaha.

Lol, yeah now that older Beast has the looks to go with his ridiculous behavior, I don't like him very much. It'll certainly be interesting next issue, no matter who joins Cyclops.

IllyanaRasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gotwillpower: haha. I know what you meant by infiltrate :P but no I still don't think Jean would be able to hide her ulterior motives from the Cuckoos or Emma at this point especially because the sisters are trained telepaths and Jean isn't (just yet), I totes see where you're coming from but I just don't see it being plausible when there are other telepaths on the team, and we all know Emma and the Cuckoos can get Jean's motives from her in a second.

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@illyanarasputin: I have to agree with you now. I didn't realize the Cuckoos were telepaths when I made my first comment. I guess that's why Bendis noted that the undercover option is out, because otherwise people like me (new X-men readers) would think it's bad writing on his part.

IllyanaRasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gotwillpower: Ahhh. Okay, that explains the confusion. Yeah, I guess you wouldn't know about the Cuckoos. However, I'm pretty sure in the upcoming UXM issue it'll explain that the Cuckoos are telepaths for new readers because they have some interaction with Emma Frost via telepathy in the panels I believe.

GonnaRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gotwillpower: The rest of X-Men are mad because of the Xavier fiasco mostly. It's obvious they will try to blame Scott, but they should be sympathetic, a little at least, after all they used to be teammates, friends... And they way they're currently acting is quite douchy, at least in my opinion. That's why I'm not liking Kitty, Storm, Wolverine, Iceman and Beast as of now.

Forgot to add, I really loved how young Scott stood up to Beast. After all it was time someone already pointed out how he made a lot of stuff up just to convince the O5 to go along with him, even if it's quite obvious that he doesn't really give a damn about the Mutant race or making everything "right", and just want to achieve his own personal vendetta against Scott.

Jg0587

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amazing issue.

My first thoughts were also that jean will be joining undercover but not be telling anyone, making her a double agent, as someone else mentioned.

She seemed bothered that she was unable to use her telepathy against them.... I think she will go undercover to 1) redeem herself and 2) protect herself and the xmen from harm should someone infiltrate the JGS and read their minds (I.e., read their minds that jean is undercover).

The only thing I will say is I just can't see all new xmen being exciting for me personally if jean isn't in it, so I wonder If they would truly write her out of anx and into uxm.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Eeshaan1685

Also interesting is Wolverine's response.

To Hank if he's defecting, Logan would go "U mad, boy ? " or something like that. But Logan actually seems horrified himself at this person who is leaving.

And IMHO the only person to do that would be Jean. But I wouldnt be surprised if it's Hank, TBH...

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I still don't really like what is happening so far and the series is just mediocre.I just like the villain alliance that is happening,to see Lady Mastermind alongside with Mystique and Sabretooth.

But I also think that it's Jean that is going.

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Good issue, Mystique and her brotherhood intrigue me a lot. And I love how Scott is telling Beast and Wolverine how idiots they are.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Eeshaan1685

@jg0587 said:

Amazing issue.

My first thoughts were also that jean will be joining undercover but not be telling anyone, making her a double agent, as someone else mentioned.

She seemed bothered that she was unable to use her telepathy against them.... I think she will go undercover to 1) redeem herself and 2) protect herself and the xmen from harm should someone infiltrate the JGS and read their minds (I.e., read their minds that jean is undercover).

The only thing I will say is I just can't see all new xmen being exciting for me personally if jean isn't in it, so I wonder If they would truly write her out of anx and into uxm.

Even if some of the 05 are in different teams and not together, they will still be covered, even when they're off doing their own thing somewhere else.

Doesnt matter if all of the 05 are in 5 entirely different teams, or gone all solo on their own path, they will still get proper coverage as this book is about them all, not just 1 character.

Jg0587

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure how to respond to someone with a quote (new to site), but @ avenger85: thanks for pointing that out! I'm new to comics, I didn't realize that it would follow the 05 around wherever they went. I assumed the perspective would stay focused on the jean grey school for some reason.

Your explanation makes way more sense. Thanks for explaining :)

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also interesting is Wolverine's response.

To Hank if he's defecting, Logan would go "U mad, boy ? " or something like that. But Logan actually seems horrified himself at this person who is leaving.

And IMHO the only person to do that would be Jean. But I wouldnt be surprised if it's Hank, TBH...

thats the best explaination i could find

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenger85: @jg0587: @veitha: @illyanarasputin: @gotwillpower:

Also what about next issue where it says that "jean grey pushes her powers to the limit, shaking the x-men to its core." Maybe its the phoenix foce and what about jean dream that scott said something like we came to take you out of here, there going to kill you maybe like the shi'ar or the avengers???

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jg0587 said:

I'm not sure how to respond to someone with a quote (new to site), but @ avenger85: thanks for pointing that out! I'm new to comics, I didn't realize that it would follow the 05 around wherever they went. I assumed the perspective would stay focused on the jean grey school for some reason.

Your explanation makes way more sense. Thanks for explaining :)

NP, the JGS has its own book called Wolverine and the X-Men. This book is about the O5, and when they go back to their own time ( they cant stay here forever as theyre already like 5 X-Books in the 616 universe) it'll be about the new reality they created.

IMHO, I think that is what these books are building up to.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I don't it's going to to be Jean. My money is on Warren or Evan.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

Evan ?

Anyways my money is on Hank or Jean.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

@teerack said:

Evan ?

Anyways my money is on Hank or Jean.

Genesis, but you'd probably know him better as Kid Apocalypse.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@avenger85: @jg0587: @veitha: @illyanarasputin: @gotwillpower:

Also what about next issue where it says that "jean grey pushes her powers to the limit, shaking the x-men to its core." Maybe its the phoenix foce and what about jean dream that scott said something like we came to take you out of here, there going to kill you maybe like the shi'ar or the avengers???

I think that Bendis wants to recreate what brought to the Dark Phoenix Saga, but I don't know if he is really going to bring back the Phoenix. He has got a new Mastermind, a darker Jean Grey and now I think that he wants to bring back the whole "pushing powers to their limit" stuff, what essentially happened at the start of the Dark Phoenix Saga inside the shuttle.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#28  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@jg0587 said:

I'm not sure how to respond to someone with a quote (new to site),

there are little "reply" and "quote" buttons that appear at the top right of anyone's posts (should be right up here ^) when you pass your cursor over them, just click on those.

As for my thoughts on this issue, well, I thought it was a lot of fun. I'm really loving this new Brotherhood, even if I do have a hard time picturing Mystique calling "shotgun".

As for who's leaving, yeah, I don't think anyone's surprised by the Cuckoos. I would've appreciated some mention of Wolverine not being able to let Quire go, since he's supposed to be there instead of jail, even just a "he's not going anywhere", but maybe Wolverine doesn't really think Quire would go. I did like that Quire was actually one of the characters being shocked by the name of Cyclops' new school, it's a little thing, but I appreciated his presence in this issue.

As for who the mystery member that's leaving is, obviously it's one of the O5, and obviously it's not Scott or Bobby, beyond that I think they've done a really good job of making it seem equally likely that it could be any of the other three, especially through their facial expressions (man, am I digging the art in this book), so I'm happy to just wait and see.

IllyanaRasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By IllyanaRasputin

@teerack: I would love it to be Evan, he'd make a great new member on Cyclops' team. However, I don't think it's going to be him. It would make great plot development and everything but EVERYTHING has to be about the O5 sweeping all of the other students under the rug :(

@veitha: Can totally see this happening. I don't think the Phoenix will come back in anyway, but I definitely can see Mystique and her Brotherhood try to push Jean Grey to her limits because she is a lot more dark than the original 616 Jean was, and since they have Lady Mastermind it'll make a good fun story for the new readers.

Jg0587

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jg0587

Veitha actually has some similar thoughts to my own personal predictions i've had ever since I saw the black and white preview cover for ANX 13.

Warning: the following is more than should be inferred this soon into the series. If you're bored by hearing people's imagination run wild, you should probably stop reading. You've been warned :P (Click spoiler block below to read).

I think the cover of ANX 13 will represent the beginning of a metaphor to the story; it won't have a literal tie to the issue (and surrounding issues). Of course there are similarities between the original dark phoenix saga buildup and now due to the fact that Jean Grey is involved and that a relative of Mastermind (with the same powers) is involved, sure... but I think this time it'll be much different in content with much the same "meaning".

With all the evidence we have so far (mixed with my personal longings), I think Jean will flirt closely with the dark side of moral reasoning. It won't involve the phoenix we have come to know. I think basically the "dark phoenix" this time around will serve as a metaphor for jean's inner struggle between her desire to do the "greater good" and the realization that sometimes the price is far too high to justify the end result.

At first I think we are going to see Jean do some villainous things. I think this time around, she regains (through a hard lesson) benevolent control over her mind and powers that the adultt/missing/white phoenix of the crown version of jean has reached. This lesson is going to make her convictions even stronger and is necessary since Xavier isn't around to instill it this time. (Side note: To me, Kitty, by not telling jean what is right or wrong but rather showing jean what consequences her powers can have, is allowing jean leash room, to figure out these lessons on her own. So rather than trying Xavier's (failed?) method of forcing mental blocks on jean, Kitty is watching from a supervisor's safe distance while Jean figures it out by herself. I think this is a brilliant strategy to develop Jean's TP/TK into it's omega level potential whereas Charles' way only stunted her omega potential.)

Anyway, to me I think this could culminate with jean ascending to the metaphorical "white phoenix of the crown" - a level of moral enlightenment that she will receive by getting through her dark trials. Like the dark phoenix metaphor I mentioned earlier, I think there will be no actual phoenix involved but just a personal transcendence above her original, more questionable ethics that we see now with her control over warren, etc.

Anyway, that's far more than anyone asked for but just what my wishes are. I just feel this would allow Jean to retain her "phoenix" codename and persona without actually having to involve some fiery cosmic bird force for once in her life. As a metaphorical state of being the phoenix could be hers as it always has been... still be a source of power... yet not have all the phoenix baggage. Perhaps we can actually keep Jean Grey around for good this time :)

Disclaimer: if any of these ideas have actually been explored in Jean comics I apologize, I'm a newer comic book reader so I don't know all the details out there, but I have tried to do my research.

@hopesummersforthefuture

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@jg0587: I don't think that sounds unlikely.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IllyanaRasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By IllyanaRasputin

@hopesummersforthefuture: I think they'll probably go for another approach than seduce Jean Grey into bringing out her full potential. I mean she is only 16 after all. Sure she might be infatuated with boys at time but there are MANY other ways to bring out ones hidden potential other than seducing them sexually.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers