• 72 results
#1 Edited by Rickbarry (1783 posts) - - Show Bio

So, yeah, I'm in my 20's and I still read comics. The invention of the Ipad has only made me purchase more over the past few years, but over the last year I've found myself at a disconnect with a lot of Marvel titles. I had a bit of a renaissance the past few years. It was fun to actually see an X-team that got me excited and I writer that I feel identified with what I enjoyed seeing. Sadly things change and the fella has moved on to greener pastures. The latest fella, Brian Michael Bendis, seems to be around for the foreseeable future. I haven't really bought the flagship titles as a result, but the latest crossover warranted me to spend some cash to see what all the fuss was about. To say that I was unimpressed was an understatement. It's more than just not liking a story or an arc. The entire movement of Marvel Now leaves me with a frightening few titles that I want to purchase.

So it made me think. Does most everyone go through this phase where they simply couldn't care less about the mainstream direction of a entire franchise only to jump back in a year or two later? Or am I the equivalent of a dinosaur that should invest his comic piggy bank into his 401k or a better life insurance policy?!

#2 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21868 posts) - - Show Bio

To be honest we all should invest our money in 401ks and life insurance, but truth is comics are to good. If your not enjoying what you read, read something else.

#3 Edited by JetiiMitra (8631 posts) - - Show Bio

coughvaliantcough

coughjumpshipcough

#4 Edited by Rickbarry (1783 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran: Thanks for your thoughtful response?

@allstarsuperman:I mentioned I stopped buying a majority of the titles, but I was asking more along the lines of is it normal to leave a franchise totally and then come back later down the line just as excited?

#5 Edited by AllStarSuperman (21868 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran: Thanks for your thoughtful response?

@allstarsuperman:I mentioned I stopped buying a majority of the titles, but I was asking more along the lines of is it normal to leave a franchise totally and then come back later down the line just as excited?

@mitran was giving you a thoughtful response, I was thinking about saying the same thing, if marvel isn't working for you try something else, Valiant is really good and so is Image.

As for the second part I got into comics less then 2 years ago, so personally idk yet, but others on this site make it seem possible.

#6 Posted by JetiiMitra (8631 posts) - - Show Bio

@rickbarry: At the moment, not many are quote/unquote "happy" with the big two publishers. If you're tired of mainstream stuff then going indie is really the best thing to do, especially what with the stuff Valiant has been putting out. I've also heard good things about Image and IDW, but haven't read anything by them.

#7 Edited by AgeofHurricane (7297 posts) - - Show Bio

My sentiments exactly, and i'm only a teen. Feels like this corporate hysteria that Marvel's entrenched into is rubbing off on all of their titles and brand-spanking innovations. This'll obviously go on for a long time because the fans will never, ever, stop providing the lucrative even after the scales have fallen, but still.

Me thinks i'll permanently be going over to the indies, apparently there's more heart over there and the creators actually like and are fans of the characters they're writing.

I will always love the X-Men, but what they're not doing it for me atm. Things are less about the characters and more about the creators themselves. There's not a lot of soul put into most of the work these days. Just slap-stick money-making regimes, which obviously work.

#8 Edited by turel_hash_ak_gik (350 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran: what titles would you recommend? some that dont rely on being really violent and gory to sell as i've come to see indies, please.

#9 Edited by Wolverine08 (42289 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel is doing really good in my opinion in everything besides the X-Men. Just look elsewhere besides the X-Men for good Marvel Comics.

#10 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

Guess I'm in the small minority of people who love current X stuff

#11 Posted by leoseeks (7 posts) - - Show Bio

@rickbarry

I feel your pain and I think I felt the same way when I was your age (I'm 50 now) After a long hiatus I decided to jump back on board but I may bow out as far as the X-men are concerned. I just put it down to different tastes and whats being written now in the Xmen doesn't interest me. I started reading X-men when the first giant sized X-men came out (boy I feel like an old geezer) I loved it! Eventually, finances and the idea that I' getting too old for this made me drop comics all together.

Right now the few comics I'm reading are Xmen legacy, Xmen, and I just started picking up Superior Spiderman. I used to hate DC comics. But surprisingly for me, I'm loving InJustice Gods Among Us. Its one of the few comic that has me biting my nails, wondering whats going to happen next. Occasionally I'll read some Archie comics because I'm astonished at how progressive they've become. Unfortunately, the rest of the X-men titles haven't really grabbed my interest, so its time to move on to something else . I don't think I would attribute it to age, just taste and whats being written now in the flagship titles doesn't work for me either.

#12 Edited by nightwing737 (1099 posts) - - Show Bio

@rickbarry No you are not getting to old, you just need to use your money wisely, but still buy comics. Just don't stop reading comics.

#13 Edited by Mannequin (252 posts) - - Show Bio

If you're not enjoying what your reading, simply don't read it anymore. Your never to old to read comics; I know an abundance of people that are older than you who still read comics.

#14 Posted by Jake Fury (18629 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm 37 and I still read every week. I'm a much bigger fan now than ever before.

#15 Edited by Hel (487 posts) - - Show Bio

Ive been reading Marvel for some 30+ years and gone through that phase of not caring about comics at all for several years but I always jump back on. Might feel a bit lost at first but at least we got digital comics and internet to catch up whats been missed

#16 Posted by JetiiMitra (8631 posts) - - Show Bio

@turel_hash_ak_gik: Harbinger is my favorite Valiant title. X-O Manowar is also pretty good, and neither are gory for the sake of it. If you want to read stuff similar to X-men, Harbinger is where it's at, though. And like I said, I don't read much IDW or Image (except for The Walking Dead, which is great), but if basically everyone else is right, TMNT is a good indie title - which I'm skeptical of reading, but hey, good reviews is good reviews.

#17 Edited by turel_hash_ak_gik (350 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran: oh yes. tmnt is great. i highly recommend it and thanks for the recoms.

#18 Posted by Xaos (423 posts) - - Show Bio

@rickbarry:

Actually I really understand you. As an ex-fan of the X-men, I've restricted myself to some comics like Invincible or Powers.

I've dropped almost all maintream comics company like Marvel and DC a long time ago. But I keep eyes open in hope to find some good story that don't make me want to roll my eyes or give myself some epic facepalm.

#19 Edited by JetiiMitra (8631 posts) - - Show Bio

@turel_hash_ak_gik: No problem. Valiant's been putting out great stuff, and if they're any indication of what indie publishers are capable of, then I'm definitely going to branch out more.

#20 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5894 posts) - - Show Bio

@rickbarry: I feel you Rick. I haven't been interested in the current X-men titles lately and Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing X-men was the last good title I've read. Nowandays, I just read indie comics like Image and IDW, with Saga being my favorite series right now.

#21 Posted by Strider92 (16476 posts) - - Show Bio

@rickbarry: At the end of the day comics are a form of entertainment and if you're not entertained by them any longer then they aren't worth the money. I myself have no DC/Marvel titles on my pull-list at the moment (Scarlet Spider was on it until it got canceled! Screw you Marvel) but if its just the stories/characters that no longer interest you and no the comic genre itself then I suggest migrating to Image or Valiant comics. Both are stomping Marvel and DC in story-telling and characters at the moment. If you'd like some suggestions just pm me :)

#22 Posted by Extremis (3350 posts) - - Show Bio

@rickbarry: well were you reading All New and Uncanny from the beginning of Bendis' run? If not and you just jumped into the event that might explain your not enjoying it.

#23 Posted by IllyanaRasputin (1116 posts) - - Show Bio

I was in the same boat. 21 years old, been reading comics for years and even more since it's much more accessible from my iPad :P X-Men was my first go to but after New X-Men it started getting bland. I dove into the Marvel Universe with the Avengers and some solo series. Lately though the quality of writing has been garbage. I'm hardly reading any of the new Marvel Now titles because they lack the ability to captivate me in the book. Hate what they've done to so many characters, Emma, Rogue, Husk, Mockingbird, Iceman/Kitty (the list goes on).

That being said I started reading DC Comics two weeks ago and I am LOVING the arcs. I never got into the heroes from DC, cartoon series and films are the only knowledge I really have of them so diving into these books gets me some more basic knowledge and I'm loving it. Favourite by far is the Batgirl series. Really big fan of Catwoman, Batman, Knightwing and the Justice League Dark series. If you're looking for a fun good read try getting into DC comics. They're something new so they're fun, not the same stories that Marvel keeps recycling and if they are the same stories they're new to me because I never heard of them before... plus the characters are easy to get attached to and fun to read about.

#24 Posted by Azrael_Online (186 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm 30 and I stopped reading and collecting back around '97 or so when I went to high school and took being a musician more seriously. At the time I just didn't have the time but was still subscribed to a single title that I would read when it came in, but that was about it. I was originally going to move with my at the time fiance earlier this year to another state, started clearing out the closet and garage and re-discovered my old comic collection. I only kept my favorite characters stuff, sold everything else and now find myself playing catch up with some things by way of graphic novels. I refer to it as 'fun reading' aside from my school and work stuff. So I would agree that you're never really too old to read the stuff, but it may seem silly in some people's eyes if you're as fanatical as a 12 year old about it, hah.

#25 Posted by The_Absolute (892 posts) - - Show Bio

@hel said:

Ive been reading Marvel for some 30+ years and gone through that phase of not caring about comics at all for several years but I always jump back on. Might feel a bit lost at first but at least we got digital comics and internet to catch up whats been missed

Also.

#26 Posted by phisigmatau (515 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think you're too old. Or anyone for that matter. But marvel has just been lack lackluster. Don't know the last time I bought an xmen comic. My favorite team has been sabotaged the past 15 years.

#27 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4573 posts) - - Show Bio

@rickbarry: I think it's pretty normal. I was really into comics, especially the X-men, when I was a kid; but I found that in my early twenties, they just started to lose their appeal. I figured, like you seem to be now, that I had simply outgrown them. I started reading other things, and eventually stopped reading comics pretty much altogether. Sporadically I would hear about something that would draw me back in, but through most of my 20's I rarely visited a comic store. Friends would lend me trades or digital copies of books they thought I'd like, and I usually did, but it just wasn't part of my life anymore.

It wasn't until I was 30, with seven or eight years of academia, and lots of traveling and real world adventures of my own, that I returned to the X-men. It took me several months of reading to catch up on everything I missed, but it made me realize what I did like about the X-men, and I guess I've been back on my own terms ever since.

I guess my point is that what's fun and interesting about the X-men doesn't ever change that much, not really, but people do change. If you just aren't feeling it, that's probably healthy; it probably means you want to change and grow and have your own adventures. So do that. The X-men will still be around, for kids of all ages, if you ever want to come back.

#28 Posted by Rickbarry (1783 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis: I gave All New X-men a shot at the beginning. I found the massive amount of dopplegangers made the book incredibly annoying. Uncanny was better, but still failed to grab me.

@ageofhurricane: You might have hit the nail on the head. There isn't a lot of...well character in the books lately.

@rabbitearsblog: I've heard of Saga. I'll have to give it a peek sometime, but I know that it's been popular over the past year or so.

I certainly didn't expect this large of a response! Thanks to everyone who threw their two cents in. Some responses were quite helpful and all were appreciated, but onto the topic at hand! I'm certainly not trying to bash Bendis. I believe he wrote at least some of Ultimate X-men and that was a refreshing new look on characters in a different universe altogether. He's simply the most recent person that's given me a negative vibe from the X-titles. I feel like a lot of events that have happened over the past few years were simply shock value of "Whoa! Look who's splitting up, going over here, but wait now they're going over here and the reason will make everyone hate me." It wouldn't be a big deal if these events could be bought in their own individual titles. That's never the case. It's going to be it's own title, take over every major X-book and last anywhere from between four to six months. Half a year of comics goes to telling a story that won't matter after the next event.

#29 Edited by CheeseSticks (2476 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree, the X-Men have not been good lately. Schism is probably the beginning of that.

I want my old X-Men back.

#30 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5894 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree, the X-Men have not been good lately. Schism is probably the beginning of that.

I also want to see the old X-Men back, but I don't see that happening for awhile, unless sales really tank by next year.

#31 Posted by CheeseSticks (2476 posts) - - Show Bio

@cheesesticks said:

I also want to see the old X-Men back, but I don't see that happening for awhile, unless sales really tank by next year.

Oh, i know it will never happened.

I just finished re reading Mutant Genesis(X-Men vol 2 #1-7 written by Claremont in 1991) and OMG, the X-Men were amazing back then.

#32 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5894 posts) - - Show Bio

@rabbitearsblog said:

@cheesesticks said:

Oh, i know it will never happened.

I just finished re reading Mutant Genesis(X-Men vol 2 #1-7 written by Claremont in 1991) and OMG, the X-Men were amazing back then.

Oh man, I remembered that book... I miss Chris Claremont's earlier run on the X-Men...

#33 Posted by McKlayn (1077 posts) - - Show Bio

@rickbarry: I think it's pretty normal. I was really into comics, especially the X-men, when I was a kid; but I found that in my early twenties, they just started to lose their appeal. I figured, like you seem to be now, that I had simply outgrown them. I started reading other things, and eventually stopped reading comics pretty much altogether. Sporadically I would hear about something that would draw me back in, but through most of my 20's I rarely visited a comic store. Friends would lend me trades or digital copies of books they thought I'd like, and I usually did, but it just wasn't part of my life anymore.

It wasn't until I was 30, with seven or eight years of academia, and lots of traveling and real world adventures of my own, that I returned to the X-men. It took me several months of reading to catch up on everything I missed, but it made me realize what I did like about the X-men, and I guess I've been back on my own terms ever since.

I guess my point is that what's fun and interesting about the X-men doesn't ever change that much, not really, but people do change. If you just aren't feeling it, that's probably healthy; it probably means you want to change and grow and have your own adventures. So do that. The X-men will still be around, for kids of all ages, if you ever want to come back.

lol i did this exact same thing, so yea it happens its normal

#34 Posted by Extremis (3350 posts) - - Show Bio

What are you, agent Murtaw?

"I'm too old for this $h@&"

#35 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4573 posts) - - Show Bio

@mcklayn said:

lol i did this exact same thing, so yea it happens its normal

see? 'cause obviously the shit me an' mcklayn get up to is normal, yeah? :v

#36 Posted by Rickbarry (1783 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

What are you, agent Murtaw?

"I'm too old for this $h@&"

I named my title after a 25 year old action movie! I'm old, man!

#37 Edited by daredevil21134 (11828 posts) - - Show Bio

I will never stop collecting Daredevil no matter how old I get.Even though I don't read the current series I still collect it hahaha. I don't read X-men because it's to different for me.I loved 90's X-men a lot

#38 Posted by The_Goddess_of_Chaos (312 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think you're too old. Or anyone for that matter. But marvel has just been lack lackluster. Don't know the last time I bought an xmen comic. My favorite team has been sabotaged the past 15 years.

man i feel ur pain.....but for me its been 10 and a half years(for the x-men)

#39 Edited by Extremis (3350 posts) - - Show Bio
#40 Posted by phisigmatau (515 posts) - - Show Bio

@phisigmatau said:

man i feel ur pain.....but for me its been 10 and a half years(for the x-men)

you're right. 10 years is more accurate.

15 years is how long its felt.

#41 Posted by CheeseSticks (2476 posts) - - Show Bio

#42 Posted by Cap10nate (2300 posts) - - Show Bio

@rickbarry: I agree with some of the above posters about checking out Valiant, especially Harbinger since you are an X-Men fan. It has been one of my favorite reads each and every month and keeps getting better. X-O Manowar is up there as well.

I'm also in my 20's and started to move away from the Big 2 a little bit. I have been dropping most of my DC pulls over the past year as they have interested me less and less to pick up indie titles. I have 10 indie books vs 12 Marvel and 2 DC at the moment.

#43 Posted by Rickbarry (1783 posts) - - Show Bio
#44 Edited by Ryagan (864 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't even keep up with current titles. I tried doing that with Superior Spider-Man for a while, but I just like reading trade paperbacks so much more reading issues. I'll continue to reading comics, but I'm not sure if I'll ever keep up with "current" titles. I just wait for the trade paperbacks. Why? 'Cuz I'm weird. I'm 18 and just started reading comics a little over a year ago, and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon.

#45 Posted by attatje (1421 posts) - - Show Bio

I currently love DC Comics' New 52 and most of their comics so you should try them

#46 Posted by nappystr8 (1107 posts) - - Show Bio

@rickbarry: I'm not sure how long you've been reading comics, but something that takes time for most of us to learn is that your favorite title is not always going to be good. Writers and artists come and go, each with their own direction they take, some writers run out of ideas if they are on a book too long, and some writers are writing so many books at once, that they can't really put enough time and effort into each (Bendis on X-Men, previously Bendis on Avengers). So there come times when you have to drop books staring your favorite characters. They will generally be there when you decide to come back, the X-Men certainly will.

What I strongly suggest is that you check out some of the other books Marvel Now has to offer, because most of it is phenomenal. If you are basing your general disintrest in Marvel Now on the fact that you are not yet familiar with or attached to the characters, I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice. If you actually have given a lot of those non X-Men Marvel books a try, then look at other companies.

If you think it's an issue of the books not being adult enough, New Avengers from Marvel, Green Arrow and Animal Man from DC, and The Wake from Vertigo are all intelligently witten, very serious, and very dark stories with really sharp modern looking art. MAX titles might be another thing to look into.

#47 Posted by Rickbarry (1783 posts) - - Show Bio

@nappystr8: Yep. My pull list has dwindled over the months. I only pick up Cable & X-force and Young Avengers these days. They're both rather good and the latest issue of X-force came at me from left field. I was surprised in a positive way. I've not seen The Adversary in forever.

#48 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5894 posts) - - Show Bio

@rickbarry: I'm not sure how long you've been reading comics, but something that takes time for most of us to learn is that your favorite title is not always going to be good. Writers and artists come and go, each with their own direction they take, some writers run out of ideas if they are on a book too long, and some writers are writing so many books at once, that they can't really put enough time and effort into each (Bendis on X-Men, previously Bendis on Avengers). So there come times when you have to drop books staring your favorite characters. They will generally be there when you decide to come back, the X-Men certainly will.

What I strongly suggest is that you check out some of the other books Marvel Now has to offer, because most of it is phenomenal. If you are basing your general disintrest in Marvel Now on the fact that you are not yet familiar with or attached to the characters, I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice. If you actually have given a lot of those non X-Men Marvel books a try, then look at other companies.

If you think it's an issue of the books not being adult enough, New Avengers from Marvel, Green Arrow and Animal Man from DC, and The Wake from Vertigo are all intelligently witten, very serious, and very dark stories with really sharp modern looking art. MAX titles might be another thing to look into.

I definitely agree with all this! I've learned a long time ago that not all X-Men titles are going to be good and so, I have to choose which stories I'm interested in very carefully.

#49 Posted by Blackdog2009 (1821 posts) - - Show Bio

@rickbarry: not your fault, Bendis kept me away from Marvel Comics for a long time. I stay away from anything he writes and you should too. Also give other things a try, Valiant , Vertigo, DC, image.

#50 Edited by adamTRMM (1779 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, now I confirm - I'm getting old for this $#!% too...