A new writer for Xmen

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

It seems that after Guggenheim leaves following this current arc we will get the current writer of Ms.Marvel. Im not familiar with her work since I havent read Ms.Marvel. Is she any good?

This also brings up a question about the book itself for me. I wonder i the direction is just to have the cast there an bring in different writers kind of audition style to tell whatever story for an arc? Possibly could this determine who becomes the long term writer... who knows. Hell we dont know if sales are good enough to keep the book around right now. Also this made me think of other female writers that would be a good fit for this book. I thought of Kelly Sue Deconnick and Kathy Immomen who would really fit well on the book.

Its been my wish that either Mike Carey or Peter David take over as the writer of Xmen and really it still is. I just wonder if there's anything to read into the fact that it seems we getting writers coming on for arcs but not long term. Maybe they are trying to negotiate everything with David now, lol.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I'm with you on Carey or David taking over. Though idk what the Ms. Marvel writer will bring to the table. I heard her first few issues of Ms Marvel were good and had alot of interpersonal stuff, which is what i'd like for this book. But i haven't heard much about it since.

I believe the thing about trying different writers from arc to arc is that the issues begin to feel alot like one-shots. For instance idk if XX-Men will continue Jubilee's story about her baby, or if it will have the students as supporting characters anymore since Guggenheim's run has only had them pull cameo's. So the next run may choose to eliminate them completely to focus on the main team doing missions as opposed to the overlapping story arcs of a single regular writer

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I've been really enjoying Ms. Marvel so far, and she's the best selling solo woman at Marvel at the moment, so it seems like G. Willow Wilson is doing a good job. :)

I don't read X-Men, so I'm not sure how her writing style would compare to what's come before. I may jump on for just that arc though.

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

She's good. Great dialogues and she handled Wolverine just fine in Ms.Marvel.

She wants to have a four issues-first arc in which every issue is seen from the perspective of a certain character, and I think that this could work very fine.

I can't wait to read her Monet

Avatar image for timelordscience
TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TimeLordScience

Ms Marvel <3333

That isn't to say that Wilson will be a good writer for the X-Men though

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Carey has written X-Men before and David has had X-Factor going on for a long time

Why do you want them to write the same thing

BB

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cattlebattle

Peter David wouldn't write the main X-title anyways. He has stated multiple times over his career at Marvel that he hates having to disrupt his storytelling for a pointless crossover every twelve issues...that is why he quit X-Factor in the 90s. When he did X-Factor in 2006, Marvel editorial let him have his tie in issues to the yearly crossovers be very tangential, and that he could pretty much do his own thing.

There is no way they would let him do that with the main title.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: Well they should. Countless crossovers are one of the problems now.

To whoever said Carey and David have written the xmen before- I would say so what. Whats the problem both are good writers and both seem to get it when it coms to the xmen as opposed to some other writers.

@koays: I would say tha a writer not choosing to focus on Jubilee and Shogo would be a good thing. Not that its not a decent development but really taking the kid into battle is just ridiculous. Just like the Rachel-Sublime implication or whatever needs to never be mentioned again. The students making appearances was cool and I wanted to see more of their development. I still hope we get a student book.... a REAL student book.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cattlebattle

@hawk2916 said:

@cattlebattle: Well they should. Countless crossovers are one of the problems now.

They have always been a problem. I try not to sound sound like some old hipster but I usually contend that Marvel really lost anything that was good about it in the early to mid 90s. Thats when they started having yearly line wide crossovers sometime running adjacent to "X-overs" and almost all of them attempt to have some real dramatic event that alters things...which is OK if it's only done once in a while, but every year is too much. Anything that happens to most of the characters usually winds up getting retconned into utter pointlessness anyways. It can also compromise and undermine any storytelling or character development a writer has accomplished prior to it.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

X-Men hasn't had a consistent creative team.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

@teerack: I agree! Out of all the Marvel books being published, the X-Men probably had the most inconsistent creative teams over the years and it's gotten to that point where the stories can be generally confusing if they are not consistent with each other.

@cattlebattle: I agree with every point you made! The X-Men comics had gotten too confusing over the years and I think the constant crossovers might had something to do with all that.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: Oh yeah. How many writers were writing that book?

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Teerack

@rabbitearsblog: It changes writer ever arch. It has had 4 so far and will have 5 soon.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Rabbitearsblog
Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BUMP!!!

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want a long term writer or team of writers who will handle the Xmen for the foreseeable future. Keep things tight and on the same page regularly consulting one another. Get rid of the alternate reality multiples (hell put them all in a book called Alternates). And let's get some good stories going again

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916: You mean like how Claremont used to be?

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PayneInTheAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hickman

Remender

Brian K. Vaughn

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By adamTRMM

A new writer as if one that never written X-men before? Christopher Priest is a choice that interests me these days. He did some pretty impressive fusion of continuity, novelty and nonlinear storytelling in Deathstroke.

Hickman of course, he'd probably build a nice, cosmic oriented X-universe. There are some unfinished topics of his previous runs that he could borrow from, Franklin is a mutant for example and he made him a future god basically. But he largely ignored mutants, so there's a chance he was never really interested.

JMS, depending on approach and factors as to what exactly he's going to do here, if it's Sense8 then no thanks, but if it is Supreme Power then yes please!

JT Krul, tbf his work isn't really notable en masse (to say the least), but he crafted this superb outlier called Captain Atom and I was really, really impressed. One of my favorite comics ever. If he can replicate this magic right here, then I'd welcome him with passion.

Scott Snyder did this mini story of Rasputins once, made me think he knows the subject and he's also a big name at DC. Hm, they get Bendis, we get him, sound marketing if you ask me.

I'm going to read God Complex and then I'll be back with an answer for Paul Jenkins. He did write X-men, but his work mostly was peripheral.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

THANK GOD! I am soooo over Guggenheim and him being obsessed with Kitty. Just give the dude a Kitty solo and let the other characters take over Gold.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HAWK2916

@adamtrmm: of course I'm with you on Christopher Priest. Been saying that for a while now.

Never thought about Scott Snyder or Paul Jenkins either. Those picks are actually pretty awesome.

Hell if Marvel was able to somehow pull both Priest and Snyder away from DC and get them to sign an exclusive to handle the Xmen, that'd be me massive news on a level with Bendis leaving. (Which I was happy to see him go by the way, really started to hate the guy)

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In another thread someone brought to mind two writers I had forgotten about but who would be, what I think, is a great fit for the Xmen. Matt Kindt who wrote Unity among other books at Valiant. And Joshua Dysart who wrote Harbingers, which is basically an Xmen book. I know many of us have a sour taste for Valiant writers coming over to Xmen considering the garbage we got from Lemire, but these guys actually wrote and did well with team books not just solos. Not sure if they would be the big name splash that some others would be, but as far as great writing, I think they would check all the boxes.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By adamTRMM

@hawk2916:

To be fair I'm not even familiar with Snyder's most famous work (aka Batman), so I'm basing that just on that short X-story and Superman Unchained short run as well. Well and the fact that he's a big name now. Did you read his Batman? About Jenkins, he's another one of the famous in comics business "hit or miss" cases. Inhumans was a well structured story, but when you think about the actual plot it's cringey imo. At the same time I liked his issues of New 52 Stormwatch, IIRC there was some absolutely wild and virtuoso scifi/mystical combo (I don't remember what was there exactly, I just remember the impression now lol). His Sentry stuff was always OTT for me though. Read more like quality facfic that suffers way too much from pet character syndrome. With God Complex I'll finally know where to place him as a writer because I think the concept is exciting so I can get behind it to observe the execution. Well, we already covered it all with Priest, just make it happen, dear X-office!

Good one with Dysart, how did I forget him? He's one of my top picks for sure. Not only was I impressed with his ability to tell a story about posthumans with Harbinger, I was also extremely pleased to find out he's such a dedicated writer as he traveled to Middle East and Africa to gather relevant information and do proper research for the stories he crafted. I think this kind of dedication to authenticity is admirable. I actually do think with creative freedom and healthy cooperation from editors, he might be a new Claremont. Matt Kindt wrote my favorite origin of Martian Manhunter though, I really loved the back issues from N52 JLA, but I can't say how much of it was him or Geoff Johns to really determine that.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HAWK2916

@adamtrmm: I read quite a bit of his Batman and thought the guy did a good job. And in terms of workload. This one can handle some stuff. I think he had the monthly Batman series going while also writing a weekly series as well. Didn't know about the short story either.

I really liked Matt Kindt's Unity stuff over at Valiant.

Dysart is awesome. Didn't know about the research trips and all but if he takes his work that seriously then that's exactly the type of writer we need to head up the Xmen. Just going off of his Harbinger stuff, I was already convinced he'd kill it on an X-book.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916:

I've heard he's relying really hard on the "batgod" effect and is disliked by non-bat/dcfans for that lol. But in Marvel he won't have the Bat to deviate so it's all good ;)

Yeah I'm really slow on Valiant. Shame on me, but I'm having a hard time to completely move on from the big two.

Same thing, even without that I was suggesting him, now it's a must if you ask me!