A few questions regarding team concepts

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

So in going through the forums and enjoying checking out everybody's dream X-men teams, I started to think about what each X-team's mission statement or purpose should be. For me it's kinda hard to formulate a team or even really jump onboard for a new book unless there's a viable reason for them existing, not just throwing a bunch of characters together. I just find myself wanting each team to have it's own niche as far as why it exist. I guess Im thinking in terms of how the Avengers franchise is.... it seems that each team has it's own well defined role. I don't know, maybe im the only one who feels this way and maybe Im grasping at straws here but it just seems that if a new fan comes on and wants to know what they should read or get into, it would be so much better if you could just definitively tell them what the teams are about and they could go from there.

1. How would you define each team's mission statement or reason for being? (Uncanny Xmen, Xmen, Legacy, Uncanny Avengers, Uncanny Xforce, Xforce, Xfactor)(and please no answers along the lines of: " to make marvel more money". lol)

2.Should each team have it's own niche and reason for existing? if so, what should it be, what should teams be based on? I guess im thinking in terms of how the Avengers franchise is.... it seems that each team has it's own well defined role.

I kinda understand what Uncanny Xmen is about. Even the adjectiveless X-title seems to be a re-incarnation of Storm's Security Recon team. The new Xfactor seems to be reasonably defined, Legacy just seems to be a spotlight almost one-shot type book. Uncanny Avengers is about unity and all but I still can't quite get why that team is needed. Just seems the stories would be better served as just plain Xmen arcs. (certainly a better writer than some of the xmen stuff, but I digress) I think Amazing is supposed to be about finding Nightcrawler, which seems like more of a story arc rather than a basis for forming a team and writing a whole new book. Now if the premise of the book was about retrieving dead Xmen or former Xmen trapped in other dimensions or existing in some other form/place (i.e Siryn, Jean grey in the White Hot, Strong Guy as a Hell lord etc) then I could see that as the basis for a book. And even then the members of the team would need to more than likely have some connection to the character they are trying to rescue or find or even some connection to death and resurrection or something, not just random ( based on the some the outcry regarding Firestar being on this team, while others are not)

3. Is it time to reinvent Xforce? If so what could it be?

Previously Xforce seemed to be well defined especially when Cyclops formed it into a hit squad. But it seems that the Xforce thing is a bit outdated right now. Honestly I don't know why Uncanny Xforce exist. If someone could explain it's purpose, I'd appreciate it? Cable and Xforce also is kinda clouded as far as the reason why they do what they do but it is a little better defined. Personally I think it's time to do something else with Xforce. Operating as outlaws seems to be Uncanny's thing right now. I guess xforce could still be a kill squad or I'd even settle for Cable taking a team on the road and just traveling to dystopian futures and straightening them out. I even like DC's idea of having the Suicide Squad. It might be an interesting direction if the outlaw Xforce was captured and used by the government to go in impossible situations and handle baseline humans problems in world affairs in exchange for freedom or their lives or even some concession for mutantkind. It just feels like the current Xforce teams just seem to be a bit stagnant as far as what their purposes are.

Any thoughts?

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2  Edited By AgeofHurricane

Uncanny X-Men - Cyclops' manifesto towards the growing and long since escalated matter in regards to mutant/human relations in light of recent events such as: AvX, Schism and other contrivances. The team and title doesn't have that much of a statement and actions of Scott within the title have very much refuted and negated his former stance within the Schism. He doesn't seem to be doing anything different or unique, just attention seeking, really. There is no Revolution, just lots of regurgitated exposition.

X-Men - On paper, an impromptu team of fabulous X-Men who just so happen to be female. Doing classical, old-school X-Meny stuff. You know, like helping people, helping themselves, sharing jokes. Just classics. As of BOTA the "team" are still in the process of reeling from events and the loss of a valued member. Focus is mainly on Jubilee and her life as a teen-vamp-mom. Doesn't really have that much of a statement itself, although it compensates for this in stellar characterization, great character moents, character-driven plot and cerebral drama, all while integrating the familial aspect and magic of the X-Men. Something that's lacking in the main X-Books. Jubilee is their reason for being, and i think that's as a good a reason as any!

X-Men Legacy - Legion's enthralling journey of redefining what it means to be a mutant/X-Man in today's society with British nuances. The statement's self-explanatory from the get-go as you see tidbits from all of his drawn-out monologues. Spurrier creatively fleshes out Legion's character in these "episodes" as he literally journeys across the globe, meeting, fighting and interacting with new acquaintances/enemies in his quest to live up his father's Legacy. Featuring Blindfold as the love interest! Unfortunately this title doesn't get enough credit, imo. Understandably so, as Legion's character, being so life-like, can be a bit annoying.

Uncanny Avengers - From the the preliminary 5 issues i've read of this, i didn't quite understand. So Steve had this idea that it'd look good in the public eye if Avengers/Mutants were a united front and the Unit Team are a response to that--Steve also thought it'd be a smashing idea to have Havok be the headliner of this team and proponent of mutant rights. Afaik, i've of yet to see this team's mandate (bettering the improvement of mutant/human relations) come to fruition. Currently, it's literally the end of the world for them. And, yeah, Wanda Maximoff has her own school. So i was told.

Uncanny X-Force - Honestly doesn't really have one. In comparison to Cable's X-Force, who actually have a solid reason for being and have come into conflict with the Uncanny Avengers numerous times--reinforcing their credentials and importance as a team--Humphries' iteration look like a joke. Recent issues have taken a turn for the worse after that Fantomex arc, but for something that's supposed roll a long those wet-work/intrigue operations, it's failing badly. He hasn't quite found his footing as of yet and it'll probably be too late by the time he has done so. They have no purpose and no reason for being. Literally just there.

Cables' X-Force - Framed for the murdering of some men at an anti-mutant's agricultural factory of some sort. Were originally only supposed to have come together for that one particular mission, but the team have subsequently found themselves all joint at the hip for other end-of-the-world missions because of the ominous and constant visions their team leader receives. So, discreetly saving the world, kicking bad guy asses and having fun while doing so, and being serious when necessary. Old school X-Force i'd say, just not as...harsh. This also features Hope Summers in her journey of trying to become a better character. Hits somewhat of a road-block, imo, towards the middle, but quickly picks up pace towards the recent issue. Character driven like Wood's X-Men and Spurrier's Legacy.

X-Factor - Corporate biz. This needs some Sage.

And so goes a segment of point 1...

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like this synopsis. How do u feel about Xforce? I really want a new direction there. I think it would be an interesting development for Xforce to be a govt run special forces squad doing missions in exchange for more mutant benefits. Or for Xforce to be utilized as a team that travels into the many dystooian futures to take out or deal with mutant antagonists. In fact that could be two xforce squads but both would be quite different

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@ageofhurricane said:

X-Men - On paper, an impromptu team of fabulous X-Men who just so happen to be female. Doing classical, old-school X-Meny stuff. You know, like helping people, helping themselves, sharing jokes. Just classics. As of BOTA the "team" are still in the process of reeling from events and the loss of a valued member. Focus is mainly on Jubilee and her life as a teen-vamp-mom. Doesn't really have that much of a statement itself, although it compensates for this in stellar characterization, great character moents, character-driven plot and cerebral drama, all while integrating the familial aspect and magic of the X-Men. Something that's lacking in the main X-Books. Jubilee is their reason for being, and i think that's as a good a reason as any!

well, only if you don't countX-Menas one of the main X-books, which I do, along with Bendis' Uncanny X-Men.

For me, those are the two main X-books, and the others are satellites, regardless of what Marvel's hype machine says.

Uncanny Avengers - From the the preliminary 5 issues i've read of this, i didn't quite understand. So Steve had this idea that it'd look good in the public eye if Avengers/Mutants were a united front and the Unit Team are a response to that--Steve also thought it'd be a smashing idea to have Havok be the headliner of this team and proponent of mutant rights. Afaik, i've of yet to see this team's mandate (bettering the improvement of mutant/human relations) come to fruition. Currently, it's literally the end of the world for them.

Though the first four issue arc was slow, I think it's too bad you stopped after issue 5. For me, issue 5 is where things start to get good, and every issue since has just gotten better and better.

I don't know if you're an Avengers fan or not, but, despite the initial contrivances of the team's concept, this really is the best Avengers book out right now. It's at least the most classic feeling; withUncanny Avengers, it feels like Remender's doing for the Avengers what Wood is doing for the X-men. Classic, character driven superhero dramas that still seem fresh.

I just don't count it as an X-men book. Though, if I did, it would probably be my second favorite (after Wood's).

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@ageofhurricane said:

well, only if you don't countX-Menas one of the main X-books, which I do, along with Bendis' Uncanny X-Men.

For me, those are the two main X-books, and the others are satellites, regardless of what Marvel's hype machine says.

Uncanny Avengers - From the the preliminary 5 issues i've read of this, i didn't quite understand. So Steve had this idea that it'd look good in the public eye if Avengers/Mutants were a united front and the Unit Team are a response to that--Steve also thought it'd be a smashing idea to have Havok be the headliner of this team and proponent of mutant rights. Afaik, i've of yet to see this team's mandate (bettering the improvement of mutant/human relations) come to fruition. Currently, it's literally the end of the world for them.

Though the first four issue arc was slow, I think it's too ad you stopped after issue 5. For me, issue 5 is where things start to get good, and every issue since has just gotten better and better.

I don't know if you're an Avengers fan or not, but, despite the initial contrivances of the team's concept, this really is the best Avengers book out right now. It's at least the most classic feeling; withUncanny Avengers, it feels like Remender's doing for the Avengers what Wood is doing for the X-men. Classic, character driven superhero dramas that still seem fresh.

I just don't count it as an X-men book. Though, if I did, it would probably be my second favorite (after Wood's).

Uncanny Avengers is dope!

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uncanny Avengers is dope!

it really is. It really deserves to be Marvel's flagship book, based not only it really being the epicenter of their shared universe, but even more so on it's consistently high quality across the board. It's certainly the ongoing team book that I've come to most appreciate, anyway.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree Uncanny Avengers is awesome. I wish Remender was writing Uncanny Xmen. The current arc with the apocalysoe twins would have been great as the 50 year anniversary event. Imo its the perfect blend of Xmen and Avengers though at the momenr it feels like an xmen book. I say this given the fact that typically I hate when Xmen become Avengers and the unity team idea is a little crazy imo. But this book is just awesome. That last issue is one of the best single issue comics ive come across in a long time

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916: SHE LIKES YOU.

yeah, even focusing on the members I generally have less interest in, everything about this issue was great.

tomasmaclgh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ageofhurricane said:

X-Factor - Corporate biz. This needs some Sage.

Yes please.

@hawk2916 said:

I agree Uncanny Avengers is awesome. I wish Remender was writing Uncanny Xmen. The current arc with the apocalysoe twins would have been great as the 50 year anniversary event. Imo its the perfect blend of Xmen and Avengers though at the momenr it feels like an xmen book. I say this given the fact that typically I hate when Xmen become Avengers and the unity team idea is a little crazy imo. But this book is just awesome. That last issue is one of the best single issue comics ive come across in a long time

I loved Remender's X-Force. And the fact that he's able to further develop some of the story lines he hinted in that book is bringing all to a full circle: the Apocalypse Twins in UA and Dr. Mindbubble in Captain America.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with Hurricane on Sage needing to be in xfactor. Though I always wanted her in Uncanny. I want her wherever Gambit is

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: Mm. Marvel's hype machine says that Uncanny Avengers, Uncanny X-Men, All New X--Men and Wolverine and The X-Men are the flagship titles that we need to follow. Everything else is collateral.

@hawk2916 said:

I like this synopsis. How do u feel about Xforce? I really want a new direction there. I think it would be an interesting development for Xforce to be a govt run special forces squad doing missions in exchange for more mutant benefits. Or for Xforce to be utilized as a team that travels into the many dystooian futures to take out or deal with mutant antagonists. In fact that could be two xforce squads but both would be quite different

I like Cable's X-Force as it is and would preferably just cancel Humphries' X-Force or get a different, better writer who can deliver and a set a standard for the level of compelling and thought-provoking stories that is the UXF title's stock in trade. A writer who could actually give Hopeless a run for his money.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: Mm. Marvel's hype machine says that Uncanny Avengers, Uncanny X-Men, All New X--Men and Wolverine and The X-Men are the flagship titles that we need to follow. Everything else is collateral.

I get why you would say that, but why would you count those three and not Wood's X-men? All four were in the recent crossover

Even if Marvel is thinking of it like their are 4 main books, wouldn't it be more likely that the fourth would be Wood'sX-Men? I at least don't think it would be Uncanny Avengers, since it's not really a main X-men or a main Avengers book (though it deserves to be the main Avengers book, in my opinion).

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ageofhurricane said:

I get why you would say that, but why would you count those three and not Wood's X-men? All four were in the recent crossover

Even if Marvel is thinking of it like their are 4 main books, wouldn't it be more likely that the fourth would be Wood'sX-Men? I at least don't think it would be Uncanny Avengers, since it's not really a main X-men or a main Avengers book (though it deserves to be the main Avengers book, in my opinion).

More likely from a fan's perspective--but they don't see it that way, which is what i'm basing the listings off of. Wood's X-Men is one of the only X-Title that matters afaik, but yeah.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@oldnightcrawler said:

More likely from a fan's perspective--but they don't see it that way, which is what i'm basing the listings off of. Wood's X-Men is one of the only X-Title that matters afaik, but yeah.

what are you basing that on?