Posted by inferiorego (22598 posts) - - Show Bio

The Good

Cable leads a new team of X-Force members. You didn't have to be reading CABLE & X-FORCE to really understand anything within this issue. It's quite the fantastic jumping on point for new readers. Anyone who has been even remotely interested in Cable or X-Force finally has a great place to jump on, since both this character and team have been tied up in longer story lines that connected to previous volumes.

The story set-up is quick and painless and lets the reader know what they have coming to them in the upcoming months. Without getting into too much detail or giving away any spoilers, writer Simon Spurrier has this first issue delving deeper into the Marvel Universe and how government agencies deal with the super-heroes living within their borders and how they use them. It's an idea that everyone knows exists, but Spurrier makes this idea into its own story, along with adding a bit more mutant flare to it. Frankly, the story is incredibly intriguing.

The team is pretty stripped down right now: Cable, Psylocke, Fantomex, and Marrow. They actually work pretty well together and all play off of each other well, in combat. As for personalities, there's a bit of clashing, since all these characters have pretty big personalities. There's a few fantastic scenes with Fantomex, who comes off as a bit of a goof, but he's quite enjoyable on the page.

The Bad

I'm a bit split on Rock He-Kim's art, as a whole, but I really didn't like quite a few things he did on this first issue. I really dislike Cable's design. The tall-collared, sleeveless shirt is weird looking, along with the headband with build in eye patch. There's actually quite a few panels where Cable looks odd because his arms seem too short. He looks too compact. Finally, his eyes are way too big, as is everyone in this book. Frankly, he doesn't look like Cable at all, and that's a bummer because He-Kim's colors are great here, but everything else is a bit tough to read. His line work isn't as strong as it should be to carry the story. He-Kim's art is really the shakiest thing about the issue as a whole.

One complaint about the writing. Marrow's narration is tough to read because it's really awkward and fragmented. The word "baby" is tossed around quite a bit and her narration comes off as free-formed jazz, but that's not how she talks throughout the issue. Maybe I missed something, like it's not her doing the narration, but it seems a bit off. Regardless, even if it isn't Marrow doing the narration, it's still very rough.

The Verdict

X-FORCE is off to a bit of a slow start. The story is a good deal of fun and shows an immense amount of promise, but the art is incredibly rough in numerous aspects. He-Kim's colors are fantastic within the issue, but the layouts, set-ups, and figures are muddled and tough to read. Cable looks a bit silly, and everyone's eyes are gigantic. It's hard to take anyone really seriously. Spurrier does give the reader something to really look forward to, though. He gives us a book that is very new reader friendly and a story that shows potential to be something epic. While I wasn't the biggest fan of the narration coming from Marrow, the rest of the dialogue was great, and I'm looking forward to what they have in store for us next.

Staff
#2 Posted by Fhiz (479 posts) - - Show Bio

Any mention of the characters that were left in the dust with that last crossover?

#3 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

Why do you hate free form Jazz mat?

#4 Edited by Renchamp (2333 posts) - - Show Bio

I am excited for this book. The art in the preview looked jarring but interesting. I'm hoping it fits the tone of the story.

#5 Posted by SynCig (410 posts) - - Show Bio

My biggest concern for this book was the art. The preview pages I saw did not impress me so seeing that Mat wasn't a fan of the art just confirms my worries. Since I trade wait everything, I'll at least be able to make an informed decision on whether to check this one out. I read the first volume of Cable and X-Force and I thought it was decent. Haven't checked out Humphries' Uncanny X-Force because, frankly, I heard some pretty bad things about it. Remender's Uncanny X-Force is in a three way tie for my favorite X stories ever so having a somewhat lackluster follow-up from two different X-Force titles sucks. Hopefully this one will pick it up in issues to come.

#6 Edited by iceslick (780 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego: Hey Mat, did they address what happens to the characters that are left out of the team? The last issues of Uncanny X-Force and Cable and X-Force didn't address anything about the team splitting up and going their separate ways. All it was is, Cable giving Psylocke a wink about hoping to team with her again.

#7 Posted by RaggedScarecrow (811 posts) - - Show Bio

I seem to remember X-Men Legacy getting off to a rocky start but quickly picked up speed, I'm hoping the same thing happens here. Still looking forward to this.

#8 Posted by AustinCY (29 posts) - - Show Bio

Absolutely agree with this review.

I'm a HUGE fan of the X-Force titles (except for Humphries' X-Force) and when it was announced that another X-Force team would be put together, I was really excited. I enjoy the whole idea of our favourite mutants coming together as a group and doing their own missions. However, for this team, you have Psylocke and Fantomex together again which has already been done in Remender's brilliant run. I was hoping that they'd utilize other mutants who haven't been on an X-Force team yet - so I'm glad Marrow has a spot on this team. I'm wondering who else will make an appearance!

Also, I find the art distinguishable from the rest yet dispirited, lifeless and awkwardly drawn at the same time. Crain's artwork on X-Force was unique, grimy and especially dark which was fantastic. He-Kim's drawings is what's going to make me disappointed with this X-Force title.

#9 Edited by dbatdog (537 posts) - - Show Bio

How many issue will this have before they renumber this again...

#10 Edited by mattwing87 (427 posts) - - Show Bio

@dbatdog said:

How many issue will this have before they renumber this again...

It seems renumbering or cancellation happens at issue 12, 19, 25, 32 or 42. My money is on 19

#11 Posted by MatKrenz (1233 posts) - - Show Bio

Well Si Spurrier is writing this so imma check this out. He's writing Dr.Nemesis again, he was so awesome in the X-Club mini.

#12 Posted by Danial79 (2346 posts) - - Show Bio

Seems my favourite characters from the previous two series have vanished. Does this issue explain where Nemesis, Forge, Spiral, and Puck have gone?

#13 Edited by MadeinBangladesh (6575 posts) - - Show Bio

hmmm 4 stars. Looks like the series isn't that good.

#14 Posted by Cavemold (1678 posts) - - Show Bio

Another low review for xforce aw nuts. I will test it out baby!

#15 Edited by Hawkguy (571 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll still check it out. Hopefully Spurrier's first arc is 6 issues so the artist switch happens relatively early. I'm not liking it too much, the pictures look like magazine cut outs pasted onto paper

#16 Posted by admwriter (20 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm still trying to figure out why Dr. Nemesis and Forge (Sorry... "Skitch" Ugh....) were even in the last volume, so seeing them omitted doesn't bug me. Sadly the art I saw was really off-putting and I have zero interest in Fantomex or Marrow (really? Marrow?) so looks like I'll be skipping this one.

#17 Posted by Bl00dwerK (92 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm getting this in the event that Domino might show up. That's it...

#20 Posted by LiveForever (273 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, at least Sam Humphries is off this. That art is real off-putting though.

#21 Posted by KingStandup (59 posts) - - Show Bio

I plan on picking this up for a few reasons, but mainly because Cable kicks so much ass and Fantomex has always interested me.

#22 Edited by ClawFist (317 posts) - - Show Bio

Awe man, Spiral and Cluster were my favorite part about the previous Uncanny X-Force series, and Domino is always awesome. No Spiral, No Cluster, No Domino, No Deal.

#23 Edited by SC (12910 posts) - - Show Bio

@andy_117: Hello. Please remember for the future that CV has a no swearing policy. Grawlixes are fine substitute however. Cheers.

Moderator Online
#25 Posted by TheAmazingImmortalMan (2873 posts) - - Show Bio

Cable is one of my favorite mutants so I'm definitely checking this out, The art isn't that great but it isn't so bad that I can't enjoy the story so I'm a happy camper.

#27 Posted by judasnixon (6415 posts) - - Show Bio

The dialogue in this book was so awful I quit reading it 2/3 in. Everyone in this book sounds like a one note Character.

#28 Edited by Rubear (451 posts) - - Show Bio
@danial79 said:

Does this issue explain where Nemesis, Forge, Spiral, and Puck have gone?

Hope in coma. Nemesis on base with her.

#29 Posted by spacemanspiff85 (94 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon:

Fantomex comes off like he's never spoken English before, totally different than he was when Remender wrote him. Everyone in this book annoyed the heck out of me. Psylocke accidentally killing someone was pretty stupid, as was Marrow taking out a plane with her pointy bones.

#30 Posted by lykopis (10753 posts) - - Show Bio

The dialogue in this book was so awful I quit reading it 2/3 in. Everyone in this book sounds like a one note Character.

Ah, I was wondering when I would find someone who thought the same as me. I finished it though, lol.

@judasnixon:

Fantomex comes off like he's never spoken English before, totally different than he was when Remender wrote him. Everyone in this book annoyed the heck out of me. Psylocke accidentally killing someone was pretty stupid, as was Marrow taking out a plane with her pointy bones.

And another person, especially your blocked text. It's my biggest complaint. Add to that Marrow's inner dialogue mentioning something about not having to explain her powers being back or some such? Very confusing. Plus, the under breath muttering of Psylocke was fun the first couple of times but it got old pretty quick.

I'm disappointed. I will pick up the second issue but it looks grim in terms of adding this to my pull list.

#31 Edited by Xwraith (16841 posts) - - Show Bio

Betsy and Jean-Philippe have had it really bad since Remender's run ended... from what I can see, it doesn't seem like it's going to get better.

#32 Posted by spacemanspiff85 (94 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith:

I really wish the two of them had just gone off to a chalet somewhere in France and disappeared after Remender finished with them, to be honest. :P

#33 Posted by MaxLevelGeek (7 posts) - - Show Bio

nice review!

I had similar issues with it.

Check out my review at maxlevelgeek.com

#34 Posted by sparty-dbq (789 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh my God, this book sucks. This may be the first time I've ever be unable to finish reading a comic (and I somehow made it through Superior Spider-Man #1)

I want to spot-weld Marrow's mouth shut. Has she always been this unbearable? And who the hell is she talking to in her narration boxes? Is she supposed to be addressing us, or is she dictating an letter to a boyfriend or something, because she says "baby" every eighth word like it's some kind of tic.

I don't know why I wasn't expecting to be hit over the head with more Betsy-Fantomex drama considering they comprise half the damn roster. Humphries rightfully put their crap to bed in Uncanny X-Force, but Spurrier just dug it up again.

I'm sure there's a perfectly good reason why Hope is suddenly in a coma that will be revealed later, but I don't care nearly enough to stomach another issue of this

#35 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11309 posts) - - Show Bio

Huge fan of X-Force but this is something I'll pass on. Don't like the art and I don't like how it seems nothing was addressed from the previous volumes runs (Other than Hope and that seems like BS to me).

#36 Posted by mickeymayhew (207 posts) - - Show Bio

Huge fan of X-Force but this is something I'll pass on. Don't like the art and I don't like how it seems nothing was addressed from the previous volumes runs (Other than Hope and that seems like BS to me).

that's exactly why I picked it up in the store last night, scanned it, and then put it back on the shelf.

#37 Posted by bladewolf (692 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a good issue at all. I wrote my own review if anyone is interested in hearing a second (even more negative) opinion: X-Force #1 Review

#38 Posted by Fallschirmjager (16298 posts) - - Show Bio

:( miss the old team all ready. doubt ill pick this book up.

#39 Posted by Nefilim927 (357 posts) - - Show Bio

Very disappointed to see so many writing this series off with the first issue. I was planning to write a review on this one but all this hate needs to be addressed. GIVE IT A CHANCE PEOPLE!! Does anyone really believe that just because Marrow's new powers weren't explained in the first issue we'll never find out the how/why? I'll admit that the character voices are still trying to find their footing, some more than others but again, I kind of felt the same way after reading Remender's first issue of Uncanny. I am not well read on Marrow's history so I can't tell how/if she is out of character, but I kind of like what they are doing with her (female Deadpool). I am confident that Spurrier will make this all work, I will admit however that I am very worried about his characterization for Fantomex. As far as the art goes, I'm very surprised to see this much hate, it is very stylized but I enjoy it. Looking for some intelligent conversation on the matter...

#40 Edited by SlamAdams (299 posts) - - Show Bio
#41 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6575 posts) - - Show Bio

wow this was bad, but art was amazing IMO

#42 Edited by JamesScott (42 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow this really seemed to polarise opinions! Some hated the art, some loved it. Some hated the writing, others loved it.

For me, the art was unusual but refreshing to see something different. The story was ok (if a little dumb in places). Think I'll stick with it for the first arc at least.

#43 Posted by HAWK2916 (1645 posts) - - Show Bio

The start is slow just like Legacy was. Legacy ended up being up and down though. As for the art, i was not a fan of it. Spurrier constantly gets crappy artist it seems. The crazy portrayal of Marrow and her narration was horrible and an aggravation to say the least.