gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

Oh man. As much as I dig this book, don't expect it to take you to a happy place. The story deals with the Rooks family. Their daughter got in a bit of trouble. The idea of the Wytches is someone could pledge you to them in order to gain some sort of wish. The bad news is, if you're the one pledged, your pretty much screwed. When the Rooks left their previous home to avoid some bullying and a strange incident that affected their daughter, they soon found that the trouble didn't get completely left behind.

The daughter, Sailor, has gotten lost in the woods. She's in a weird place now as her father needs to find her. After the visit he received last issue and the weird message on his stomach written in his veins, you know things probably won't go too well. We find out more information and even though we know some of the details, it's all a scary idea. Scott Snyder is carving out a nightmarish world without having to resort to cheap or grotesque gimmicks.

Adding to the vibe of the story is the art by Jock and colors by Matt Hollingsworth. You can see and feel the dark things coming and you're just not sure where it's all going to go.

The Bad

Hollingsworth adds some color splashes over the art and color. While it does add to the mood and feel, there are some moments it feels like a little too much. Last issue felt a little more jarring than this issue. I like how it looks but it almost takes you out of the book.

It's not really a "bad" thing and clearly has no affect on the rating but, man, does this story just leave a sinking feeling in your stomach. Maybe it's because I have a daughter myself.

The Verdict

WYTCHES is more than just a comic, it's a journey. Scott Snyder, Jock, and Matt Hollingsworth are taking us down a dark and slightly disturbing road. We're being presented with some dark and twisted ideas and visuals. That makes this the perfect comic to creep you out without any gratuitous moments. This is a comic you'll find yourself slowly reading as you take in each moment and all the detail in the art. I've said it before and I'll say it again, don't read this comic when you're home alone.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1 the_stegman  Moderator

I think all the Image titles got 5 stars. Why!? Cause Image is the true House of Ideas.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

I think all the Image titles got 5 stars. Why!? Cause Image is the true House of Ideas.

true

~MiB

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@the_stegman: I never really thought about it until just now but I agree, Image really is the true House of Ideas.

Avatar image for victorcheenoanleu
victorcheenoanleu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By victorcheenoanleu

So I'm the only one a bit annoyed with the water color stuff?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CaptainHoopla

I've been a bit on the fence with this book, but this issue sunk its hook in me. Definitely going to read the next couple of issues to see how this arc ends.

I'm not a fan of the color splotching either. I find it too much to the point of distraction.

lagozzino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I'm not a fan of the color splotching either. I find it too much to the point of distraction.

Exactly. Whatever mood they think they're achieving with that splotching effect, they're really not pulling it off.

Honestly its distracting enough that I don't think I could ever give an issue 5 stars as long as they keep this style up.

Avatar image for victorcheenoanleu
victorcheenoanleu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man: I meant I don't like it. There's just some pages where it's really distracting.

Armaghetto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DING DING DING! Totally because you have a daughter yourself. I felt the same way.

Enough with the colour splashing though.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Another excellent issue and review! I completely agree with everybody about the color splashing.