inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

This whole latter part of this series is all about the build up for the fight between Wonder Woman and First Born. It's a slow process building on strategy and building armies. The book does moves slow, but in a very different way. Azzarello explores relationships between characters and betrayal, which all lead to this eventual fight.

This issue is incredibly exciting, although it's not action packed. Azzarello does not only a fine job with the overall story, but also with the dialogue. In the opening of the book, there's a fantastic scene between Eris and First Born, and Eris' dialogue fits her character because she's the goddess of chaos. He really nails it here.

This book and story has an incredibly brilliant flow. Everything moves seemlessly from moment to moment. Azzarello, Sudzuka, and Chiang (who did breakdowns) have one of the most consistently fantastic books on the shelves at the moment. The quality of their work is always top caliber and more than anything else, this book is simply a delight to read from a story and visual standpoint.

The ending to this issue is utterly fantastic and calls back to some earlier events in this series. This book is in its own little world, which is what makes it so strong, and it spends time drawing from the Wonder Woman mythos as well from previous issues in this volume. The book is continuing to build to war, and I couldn't be more excited.

The art is stunning in this issue. Goran Sudzuka, along with Matthew Wilson on colors, create a full, visually stunning piece that will captivate the reader. At no point does the art take shortcuts to finish a panel or a page. It all fully realized and there are certain scenes, like the one where Wonder Woman stands in front of a fire, where Wilson's color work really stands out.

The Bad

Azzarello's, Chiang's, and Sudzuka's time on this book is coming to a close soon. I'm not sure of exactly when, but I do know it's down the pipeline.

The Verdict

WONDER WOMAN continues to be the stand-out of the New 52 that does not get the credit it is due. This is a phenomenal series that only gets better with each passing issue. The battle between Wonder Woman and First Born is coming to a head, and she's going to need all the help she can get. The creative team really makes a huge impact here and the ending isn't shocking but it will lead to some seriously cool moments in the next issue. Overall, I highly recommend this issue.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

I need to read this series. I keep hearing such great things.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The current creative teams final issue is 36 and it will be one sad day when that issue comes out.

Tattacus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I'm gonna have to start getting the trades one of these days. People keep saying how good this is.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Kal'smahboi

@tattacus said:

@kal_smahboi said:

I'm gonna have to start getting the trades one of these days. People keep saying how good this is.

Yeah, I think I'm going to library it up. It's on my list haha.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Although she's only been featured here lately, Harvest is my favorite god yet. And it makes me want to see these gods go out and play roles in the larger DCU. I'd love to see her interact with Swamp Thing at some point. Oh and BOOM...Orion's back!!

Cade_Calrayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, this series. So good. The thought of it ending....

kpung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@br_havoc said:

The current creative teams final issue is 36 and it will be one sad day when that issue comes out.

Do you have a link confirming this?

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kivatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That new Wonder Woman armor though. I my body can't wait.

I have a feeling she's gonna take off her bracelets, and go full God Mode to be able to contend with the first born.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Reviews" like this are why some folks feel that DC buys and pays for them "visually stunning"? Sudzuka? The fill-in artist? Really? Man quit playing, you're trying to goop the people.

This is a nice little story, that moves very slowly and has inconsistent art. It's hardly worth the heavy handed adjectives like stunning, incredibly exciting, incredibly brilliant or utterly fantastic. Hell you said stunning and fantastic twice.

Just stop.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Reviews" like this are why some folks feel that DC buys and pays for them "visually stunning"? Sudzuka? The fill-in artist? Really? Man quit playing, you're trying to goop the people.

This is a nice little story, that moves very slowly and has inconsistent art. It's hardly worth the heavy handed adjectives like stunning, incredibly exciting, incredibly brilliant or utterly fantastic. Hell you said stunning and fantastic twice.

Just stop.

Well it is his opinion so...

fps_dean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@br_havoc said:

That's only four more issues.... sad to think about it. I think Wonder Woman has been DC's best series going currently and in a very long time, and quite possibly the best comic going currently. It's so good...

For those who haven't read it, it's one of those series that reads even better in trade form... go pick it up.

herrweis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont know what this scorpio cat is trippin on ,but this series has been the $h!+ from start to finish without a doubt.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BR_Havoc

@fps_dean said:

@br_havoc said:

That's only four more issues.... sad to think about it. I think Wonder Woman has been DC's best series going currently and in a very long time, and quite possibly the best comic going currently. It's so good...

For those who haven't read it, it's one of those series that reads even better in trade form... go pick it up.

Hands down the best new 52 series, It bums me out thinking that in 4 issues it will be finished, but I have faith Azzwill leave it in a satisfying way.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@herrweis said:

I dont know what this scorpio cat is trippin on ,but this series has been the $h!+ from start to finish without a doubt.

I hate fake attempts to pull the wool over people's eyes. If you're doing a review, have some objectivity and make it fully formed. Give the real pros and cons, instead of trying to sell the people a dream, because the story got you all gushy.

That thing is a love letter with bombastic superlatives that pissed me off, okay?

They're not even true. All Azzarello has done is write a story for people that never read Wonder Woman before and never will again, as soon as he leaves.

It's all Olympians, puns and penises.

DemonKnights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love the bow and arrow

kivatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine:

Wait so you're mad that he's bringing in new readers, and new Wonder Woman fans, and a different version of her. If they wanted to do the same stories, with the same general Wonder Woman esque feel why would they create the New 52 in the first place. It seems as if you're mad because you can't open up your mind to something New because you so complacent with the Pre-52 stories

This is a new take on Wonder Woman, if you don't like it don't read it, and don't try to shit it because it isn't what you're used to.

Just leave. Simple as that

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just read the "Thor: God of Thunder" #23 review. 5 stars. "Epic" was used twice. Along with spectacular, awesome and pure gold.

I eagerly await for @scorpio_cassadine to tell CV to stop using such superlatives and repetitious adjectives in the comment section of that review. It sounds like Marvel bought and paid for it.

After all, it's all Asgardians, hammers and face-smashing.

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn this book is fantastic! Although I would really love a family tree of all the gods in this, so I could cross them off one by one! :D

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kivatt said:

@scorpio_cassadine:

Wait so you're mad that he's bringing in new readers, and new Wonder Woman fans, and a different version of her. If they wanted to do the same stories, with the same general Wonder Woman esque feel why would they create the New 52 in the first place. It seems as if you're mad because you can't open up your mind to something New because you so complacent with the Pre-52 stories

This is a new take on Wonder Woman, if you don't like it don't read it, and don't try to shit it because it isn't what you're used to.

Just leave. Simple as that

I'd tell you to leave but you will anyway around issue 39 or whatever. You're not new fans of Wonder Woman, you're new fans of Azzarello's "Days of Our Olympian Lives".

Superman/Wonder Woman is a new take and it has a "general Wonder Woman esque feel" it's also in the New 52 and yes, it's also in First Place.

The sales aren't consistently higher simply because of Superman or the "Doomed" crossover. They're higher because Wonder Woman fans -that don't read her main book- have another place to go to get their fix.

It may have been different if Azzarello had not gone out of his way to anger old fans. He was openly hostile and made jokes in interviews, and in story, in an effort to alienate us.

At that he was successful, at writing Wonder Woman he was not.

kivatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kivatt

@scorpio_cassadine:

Will I leave when Azzarello leaves? No I won't. Why? Because I like Wonder Woman, and I am a fan of women having their own titles. So I'm gonna stick with the book with the new creator change, I did the same with Batwoman, and The Flash (even though I think that the artwork now is terrible). I'm still sticking with it. Hell I'm gonna stick with Green Arrow once Lemire leave.

Sales are higher because, let's see it's Superman and Wonder Woman. It's a team up book with two of the biggest DC names. That's why sales are higher, not just because "Wonder Woman is written the way you think she should be". Hell, throw Batman in there and the sales would exponentially increase, because the idea of it is a money maker, and it's good book.

You're upset because Azzarello made jokes about Wonder Woman fans. So you guys are so petty, that because your character, in a new universe, where all the stories and characters are different, is written in a new light, and the author is not going to change his creative vision based on your demands as fans, you won't but the book, acknowledge how good it is, and just complain? Even though the book is wonderful and one of the best DC titles out there, you're still not going to pick it up because of those reasons? And you call yourselves fans, but you can't even support your own character. How childish and immature is that?

I am a Wally West fan, and have been collecting his comics since I got into comics, and started to pick up his older back issue. When they put him aside for Bart, I still bought the comics to support DC and The Flash family. When Barry came back I still supported the Flash. Hell when they brought even new Wally, even though I don;t agree with why they did it, and it could have been done differently, I am still going to pick up the the Flash to support the series, and the new Wally. Hell I even bought the Gambit solo and that was terrible. I even bought the Teen Titans book, just because I like Tim Drake.

I'm not going to berate the book, because my favorite character isn't the way I want it to be. Instead I will judge it based on how good or bad the stories actually are. Things change, deal with it. Either get on board, and accept that the status-quo is different, or complain, moan and groan till you die. Stop being self intitled, the writer does not owe you anything. They don't have to write a character the way you want to. They can do whatever the hell the want to. That's the way that it is. If you don't like it, then don't read it, and go back to reading Pre-52 Wonder Woman. Simple as that

I swear comic fans are never pleased. You guys are some Superboy-Prime as people. That's the reason why people hate him so much. Because he is a accurate representation of how a good amount of you act.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let's talk in the singular, shall we? I'm not "you guys" I'm a single poster with an opinion that differs greatly from yours. Personally I was turned off by Azzarello's treatment of Wonder Woman fans. His unencumbered disdain was clear for all to see in interviews and his in story "jokes" in the book, so don't talk to ME about being petty, when it's readily apparent that Azzarello brought my response on himself.

He cavalierly dismissed Wonder Woman's origin and said "he fixed it" like it was broken. He turned the Amazons into primitive, man hating, whores, as well as rapists, murderers and baby traders and called it an improvement. He admitted he didn't research Wonder Woman or read her more recent stories, yet he fraudulently perpetuated the myth that Wonder Woman's world was "perfect" before he came along, as if there was never any conflict on Paradise Island, when that's really all there was, under several different writers.

He's basically a liar, with a few overused tricks like puns, that have all you fanboys artificially enamored, only because you don't know or care what came before his twisted perversion of Wonder Woman's mythos.

Equonox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My only problem w/ this book is both the Minotaur and the First Born seem way too OP. The First Born has literally killed Death...come on...

Other than that gripe, this book is awesome. Feels like Game of Thrones :D