Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

ZhuRong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh look it's the same dragon Wonder Woman fought in Justice League (forgot the issue).

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FoamBorn

@zhurong: Hydra, I believe. She fought this monster in Batwoman

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finch draws some good looking monsters, I'll give him that.

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn: I can't see it.

Did Donna say anything?

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@malachi_munroe: Not in this preview

http://www.newsarama.com/23270-wonder-woman-38-preview-the-issue-donna-troy-comes-back-in-earnet.html

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

This might be the worst testament to leadership abilities on DC Earth.......if Atlantis wasn't currently trying to literally tear itself apart because the land doesn't consider Aquaman fit to be king.

ZhuRong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn: Thanks for the correction, that's what I meant.

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn: thanks :)

I don't like the way they were treating Diana though.

DonJack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DonJack

Look, I hate Finch's art, but the hydra looks nice (kudos to the colorist, I think it's what makes it so nice, actually).

However, now a hydra just pops up on the island? Next issue is Cerberus? Then a cyclop? When you use everything special all at once, nothing is special anymore.

Also, the way the Amazons are being condescendent to Diana is stupid. "Do I look like I have time to explain?"... well, you have time to be a jerk. "We don't have time to remember names", are you kidding me? It's Dessa, the Queen's right hand.

Not to mention the interview in USA Today linked in Newsarama's post... apparently Diana won't notice that Donna is a strange Amazon. Wow.

And going back to the last issue, Diana left the battlefield to investigate with the League something that already happened (so it's not an urgent call), and looks like this time won't pay off either... so yeah, she's the most terrible and dumb queen, I'll give that to the Amazons.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11  Edited By SaintWildcard

@saren said:

This might be the worst testament to leadership abilities on DC Earth.......if Atlantis wasn't currently trying to literally tear itself apart because the land doesn't consider Aquaman fit to be king.

NOt as bad as this

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Outside_85

It really does seem this run relies on everyone being a clueless dolt. Meredith is perhaps right that the Queen of England doesnt know all of her subjects... considering that QoE has the excess of 30million subjects and the Amazons at best numbers a thousand or two judgeing by Azzarello's city, you can bet your ass you know when a new face is around. Especially since Amazons dont exactly pop out of nowhere.

DonJack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DonJack

And Diana IS the kind of person who would know each one of her sisters... Even if she doesn't remember all their names, she would recognize a stranger.

At least some Amazon will have to notice it.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: To me it's more like a testament to how pathetic the amazons have become, especially if they have superhuman strength like some people speculate, they should be able to deal with the Hydra without a Queen. Meredith is treating them like defenseless citizens. They used to make do without Wonder Woman. With that said, if Wonder Woman can't function as a Queen she ought to relinquish her position

DonJack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DonJack

I'm almost seeing it... the "council" -- which apparently is way more powerful and respected than the Queen, to the point that the Amazon who alerts about the attack refers to the council, and not to Diana who is standing right next to her -- electing Donna as their new Queen without even knowing her, taking in consideration that only Derinoe is conspiring.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man the amazons really love to disrespect their queen and god of war though.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

soo much crying...again.

so frustrating.

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It really does seem this run relies on everyone being a clueless dolt. Meredith is perhaps right that the Queen of England doesnt know all of her subjects... considering that QoE has the excess of 30million subjects and the Amazons at best numbers a thousand or two judgeing by Azzarello's city, you can bet your ass you know when a new face is around. Especially since Amazons dont exactly pop out of nowhere.

Didn't Azz;s run have some line about how there were more Amazons than Diana realized after they were returned to normal?

DonJack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DonJack

No. /\

ZhuRong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ZhuRong

I never seen so many complaints about a character's run in my life. Supergirl fans have more tolerance than this.

I take that back, they don't complain at all.

DonJack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On a side note, FInch is apparently trying to not draw Diana as a 16 year old... and it's not working too well. She is uglier.

AwesomeHobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really wish people would stop complaining and breathe. The Amazon's really don't have much of a reason to respect Diana at this point and no she doesn't just deserve respect for inheriting the title of queen. All she's really done to them recently is get them turned in to snakes, get them turned back into people just to break an ancient code and bring men to the island and then lead them into a battle where most of them get slaughtered. Now as young queen she doesn't fully understand her responsibilities and neglects her kingdom. They don't have much reason to respect her, they have reasons to downright hate her. Then to all the people asking how Diana couldn't know everyone on Themyscira, well she's 21, that's a few thousand, and it wouldn't be very wise of her to assume someone might be new in the position she's in. Like they could've just got a haircut and Diana just doesn't recognize that. I mean it's very possible for her not to know everyone even if she's the kind of queen that would try to know them all.

ZhuRong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ZhuRong

@donjack: Yeah, guess you're not the only one to notice.

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally think Finch is improving. The Amazon that was being a bitch to Diana looked really beautiful. As for the writing, Meredith is slowly getting better. The Amazons aren't respecting Diana because she hasn't demanded their respect yet. I don't think she would want to demand anything lest she make them even more hateful.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

This preview just went somewhere; now, the Amazons are fighting Hyda instead of those birds? Wonder what happened at the Justice League? I hope everything is explained in this issue. Where was Diana between the Justice League and Paradise Island?

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Amazons aren't respecting Diana because she hasn't done anything worth respecting or even considered addressing their concerns apart from whining to her boyfriend about how hard her life is.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: Shes only been Queen for like 3 issues.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

And in those three issues, Themyscira has been under siege at least twice, Amazons have been killed, and the Queen doesn't even show up. Her actual excuse for why she wasn't around when the Stymphalian birds were eating Amazons was that she's got other stuff that keeps her busy. She should just abdicate gracefully and let the Amazons handle themselves.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

At least the art looks to be getting a bit better.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren said:

@sodamyat said:

And in those three issues, Themyscira has been under siege at least twice, Amazons have been killed, and the Queen doesn't even show up. Her actual excuse for why she wasn't around when the Stymphalian birds were eating Amazons was that she's got other stuff that keeps her busy. She should just abdicate gracefully and let the Amazons handle themselves.

I was wrong. Its a whopping 2 issues. So the poor Amazon getting killed happened twice. Yes, she should let someone else rule in her place because of that. She should be capable of serving on the Justice League to protect the entire planet and be the God of War, all the while ruling in Paradise Island at the same time. Letting her sisters get attacked twice is just too much.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

@sodamyat said:

@saren said:

@sodamyat said:

I was wrong. Its a whopping 2 issues. So the poor Amazon getting killed happened twice. Yes, she should let someone else rule in her place because of that. She should be capable of serving on the Justice League to protect the entire planet and be the God of War, all the while ruling in Paradise Island at the same time. Letting her sisters get attacked twice is just too much.

2 issues of Finch and 3 under Azzarello actually :)

The business about respect; if you want to get down to it, Diana is a monarch and before that she was a crown princess, that alone is something a martial society like the Amazons should respect without question, especially when Diana had previously done nothing to earn the kind of abuse Aleka threw around.

@saren said:

The Amazons aren't respecting Diana because she hasn't done anything worth respecting or even considered addressing their concerns apart from whining to her boyfriend about how hard her life is.

One thing is that they don't respect her for some reason. It's another thing when some of them start being uncivil when speaking with her.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

@saren said:

@sodamyat said:

Aquaman manages. His kingdom has been constantly under attack and at least his people know he's there. He doesn't complain to Mera about how hard his life is. He just does what has to be done. Batman serves on the Justice League, runs a multinational corporation and coordinates a global network of spies and operatives. It's not like there are actual mandated responsibilities to being God of War. Ares used to just hang around in Darfur and get drunk; nobody took issue with that. The only Leaguer who can legitimately complain that they're too busy to handle something is Green Lantern, because his jurisdiction is now the entire universe.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SodamYat

@saren said:

@sodamyat said:

@saren said:

@sodamyat said:

Aquaman manages. His kingdom has been constantly under attack and at least his people know he's there. He doesn't complain to Mera about how hard his life is. He just does what has to be done. Batman serves on the Justice League, runs a multinational corporation and coordinates a global network of spies and operatives. It's not like there are actual mandated responsibilities to being God of War. Ares used to just hang around in Darfur and get drunk; nobody took issue with that. The only Leaguer who can legitimately complain that they're too busy to handle something is Green Lantern, because his jurisdiction is now the entire universe.

Everyone deals with things differently. And she only "complained" once when she opened up to Aquman, and maybe one other time with the person she loves. Ive seen Superman feel down about his efforts too. I think youre being unnecessarily harsh on her. Her people have been attacked twice. Thats it.

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

@saren said:

@sodamyat said:

2 issues of Finch and 3 under Azzarello actually :)

The business about respect; if you want to get down to it, Diana is a monarch and before that she was a crown princess, that alone is something a martial society like the Amazons should respect without question, especially when Diana had previously done nothing to earn the kind of abuse Aleka threw around.

@saren said:

One thing is that they don't respect her for some reason. It's another thing when some of them start being uncivil when speaking with her.

Well whether we like it or not (and I sure as hell don't), Azzarello pretty much opened the door for this kind of thing. I mean, once you have the Amazons disrespecting Diana from childhood because she was made of clay, should you be surprised that they won't respect her when they think she's shirking her duties.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

ZhuRong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitalius: A Hydra but it looked like a dragon so thats why

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

@zhurong:

To be fair Hydras are picked as dragons with several heads.

Avatar image for unbreakable_fs4
unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty good issue

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#40  Edited By Saint_Sophie

I liked it. Glad that they're finally talking more about her status as the Goddess of War.

But I do admit, after just finishing up Azz's run, I knew it would be fairly different. I kind of miss the Olympian drama though. I mean I know we got Strife and all that, but still.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By CSG_CL

@agent_z: yet Finch could have chosen to close this door as Azzarello also left other doors open. Hippolyta's fate, Diana is now one of their pantheon of gods, there are Amzons who she had already won over etc... This is on Finch, for good or bad, she chose to explore this one thread Azzarello created despite having options. People need to give it a rest with Azzarello, his run is over, Finch is 3 issues deep, her decisions are her own, not some legacy of the writer before her.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@csg_cl:

So is it getting better then? I bought the first Finch issue and dropped it as I thought it was so awful! I like to give new creative teams a chance, but read through the second Finch issue and it didn't seem much better, so hopefully things are on the up now then.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza: meh, it's pretty weak IMO ... The art has improved (at least D. Finch has altered his faces to make them look more adult). Meredith has some okay ideas, but her writing is pretty clumsy and the story hasn't really moved forward in 3 issues. Basically we've had the same story written for 3 issues ... Vanishing villages, b!tchy Amazons, whiney Diana and a monster fight. Good action, not much else.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Twas a dream, people.

Also, Diana has set up a council for a reason, to have the Amazons decide amongst themselves how to rule the island. This isn't about a Queen who has abandoned her people. If anything, this is a reflection on the Amazons for not being able to govern themselves and having Wonder Woman as a sort of scape goat.

It's an interesting story, so far. The Amazons are at fault here, not Diana. I am enjoying the angle being pursued with the potential of Diana being the God of War causing some sort of havoc down the line.

Plus, Donna. Not going to pretend I'm not ecstatic over her introduction. Her origin and look and so far, everything. I'm digging it.

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola: the problem with this is that the writers are just portraying the Amazons as one-dimensional antagonists with little to no redeeming qualities. And it's all done to overcompensate for some perceived 'perfection' they had in the past. Perez and Rucka were able to write these women as flawed but still have them likeable and sympathetic. With these Amazons I find myself alternating between apathy and wishing they would all just die since they serve no purpose to give Diana never ending grief. Also what is there about Donna so far to like. She hasn't even spoken yet.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No I disagree. It's Diana who's at fault here. She told the amazons to change everything about their culture or just about and then left to do other things. This a great story about how even super heros can only do so much and be in so many places at once before all the obligations start falling apart. Diana and the amazon's have real issues that they're dealing with. I don't get how people are posting that they're whining or disrespectful.

deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent_z said:

@ms-lola: the problem with this is that the writers are just portraying the Amazons as one-dimensional antagonists with little to no redeeming qualities. And it's all done to overcompensate for some perceived 'perfection' they had in the past. Perez and Rucka were able to write these women as flawed but still have them likeable and sympathetic. With these Amazons I find myself alternating between apathy and wishing they would all just die since they serve no purpose to give Diana never ending grief. Also what is there about Donna so far to like. She hasn't even spoken yet.

I wouldn't say that the Amazons are being portrayed as one dimensional antagonists with little to no redeeming qualities. There are those in the council who don't agree with the criticism being sent Diana's way. They have a right to be upset with what's being sent their way and they have a right to expect their new Queen to help deal with it, along with overseeing the transition of power from one person's hands onto the entire council's. Leaving someone so attached to the old ways in charge was a big mistake for Diana. I do think Finch is making the Amazons a wee bit antsy and quick to anger but I'm okay with that since they are a warrior race and have mostly lived with a warrior perspective. I am hoping there will be a further fleshing out of the Amazons in this new direction, and hopefully what you find lacking will be addressed.

@agent_z said:

Also what is there about Donna so far to like. She hasn't even spoken yet.

I mentioned Donna's introduction, origin and look so far. This is what I am liking. If there was one thing I wasn't too keen on, it was the erasing of Diana's lack of paternal parentage. Donna has taken on that origin, and I think that's cool. Same with her armour and on a personal note, her eyes. As for needing to wait for her to speak, we shall soon see. I suspect she will be a warrior's warrior, an Amazon's amazon and challenger to the throne. I am looking forward to that, if that's the case.

@kiba said:

No I disagree. It's Diana who's at fault here. She told the amazons to change everything about their culture or just about and then left to do other things. This a great story about how even super heros can only do so much and be in so many places at once before all the obligations start falling apart. Diana and the amazon's have real issues that they're dealing with. I don't get how people are posting that they're whining or disrespectful.

Fair comments. I do think it feels kind of abrupt how there are so many problems with the Amazons being attacked and being in essence, leaderless, and that would be my biggest criticism. I would have thought Diana would have been much more aware of these issues a long time ago since taking on the mantle of God of War.

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola: well as you yourself pointed out in your initial post it is the Amazons who are at fault for not being able to govern themselves so clearly Finch wants us to see them as the guilty party.

I'd also like to add that I think the overemphasis on the warrior aspects of this character and her culture is detrimental to the franchise because it's just the writers falling tired old cliches and crappy portrayals like Amazons Attack and Geoff Johns' portrayal of Diana in JLU. Before the Amazons were a people that strived for intellectual and spiritual enlightenment (the key word being strived). Now they're a less advanced version of the Klingons.

deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent_z: I see. That's fair of you to point out. I think also that you're right about the approach being made by the writers towards the Amazons. I guess the idea is to start at the bottom and then slowly evolve the Amazons into the intellectual and spiritually enlightening civilisation they have been known to be. Which is the point of the New52. This isn't the wise and older Diana we've gotten to know, but a young and untested one. I remember the Finches mentioning they see Diana as mistake prone due to her inexperience and I suppose they are showing us what they think that inexperience translates as.

I don't disagree with you, but I've gotten into a mindset of sitting back and waiting for what comes with large doses of salt. I wasn't all that happy with Azzarello's run and probably was a little too harsh in my opinion of it and I don't want to make the same mistake with Ms. Finch. I want to try being optimistic and see if I can enjoy the character of Wonder Woman again.