Why is the Perez run so epic?

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By jointron33

Seriously, jettisoning some of the campier elements of the character (although I still disagree with getting rid of Steve Trevor), giving her real threats, being accurate to mythology and expounding upon it (i.e. the awesome Bana-Mighdall stuff), and having some of the best "very special" issues, such as the one concerning Nessie's friend committing suicide. Why in the heck has this not been completely collected?

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I know right! I just started reading it and its great.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's even better than the Luke, Rucka, Simone, and Azzarello runs.

Sinisteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Perez made her more human and gave her relevant stories. He retconned away the secret identity which made her more vulnerable than any gimmick. He let her fly instead of depending on an invisible plane.

I hated that he didn't use a younger Steve Trevor and Etta Candy.

Perez WW was a young woman clearly from a different world to whom characters could warm and wanted to be around. She was naive but intelligent. And look at how well her villains were crafted and handled with distinction and full backgrounds which played heavily into stories. His Circe was a threat to all DCU at one point.

dmessmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm plowing through this run at the moment (on no. 40) and it really is the best Wonder Woman stuff I've read. They've collected the first 24 in TPB, but vol. 1 is out of print, I believe. I guess not enough people bought it for them to continue. It's a shame because Perez's run is always the first thing I point to when people ask if there are any good Wonder Woman stories.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jointron33

@sinisteri: HIs villain stuff is some of the best updating I've ever seen.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

perez showe how wonder woman an her villans should be,it's the best wonder woman's run until these days,it has great stories,great action and connection between the characters,perez's run ha so much potential,DC should have tried to push it more,it woould have been a even bigger hit than it was.

Avatar image for kapitein_zeppos
kapitein_zeppos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Perez simply wrote a good story without all this current concern about filling a certain quota of dark, gritty, relatable, tragedy, drama, grounded in reality etc ... The more you try to double-guess and triple-guess, while inverting everything, the more it loses freshness and spontaneity.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just collected the first 7 issues they've been a blast. I especially loved how Perez truly made Wonder Woman an opposite to Ares beliefs and the way she defeated him. Had DC treated Perez's run the equivilant to Miller's Batman year one Wonder Woman would have had the same love as Batman and Superman's popularity. But oh well DC screwed up as always