What I fear for the character in the mainstream

Gjgp27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

With the character attracting tumblrites and SJWs, I fear that comics and other media depicting the character, her mythos, villains, and supporting cast, will take an even further miniscule role, and give way to much hoohah and bahblooey concerning feminism.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

same here.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I fear that's what will happen to most female characters.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know ... she faired pretty well from the Lynda Carter series back in the day ... I think the mainstream will embrace her unless they make her a man-hating-feminazi type feminist. There are actually quite a lot of childrens/young adult books and such around WW and a large portion of the movie going audience already has some exposure to her from her various appearances. I suspect we'll get something akin to the Timm universe version of Diana when all is said and done

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All they have to do is make her like Faora

ParaChomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ParaChomp

Sure social justice warriors and feminism are sensitive subjects but I honestly believe it would benefit American comics by giving them a push in the direction that they need.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would LOVE it we got something close to Timm's Wonder Woman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: or Man of Steel's Faora but with more personality

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: or Man of Steel's Faora but with more personality

i dont see it. i want compassion, firm but just. I want the feeling of the bruce timm wonder woman. you know, that mother feeling she gave off. like, come to mama, i'll take care of you but lie to me or betray me and i'll wreck you.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

I would LOVE it we got something close to Timm's Wonder Woman

I wouldn't be opposed to that either ... she was a bit nerfed, but she had all the right basics to her personality

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41 said:

The feminist thing is taken out of proportion by some people. Femist doen't mean hating men. If some women take her as a feminist icon that is not a bad thing. A lit of powerful and independcent female characters are taken as feminist icons by a lot of people. it's not a bad thing. If there are some people that misunderstand the concept and use her image to attack men that is something that has nothing to do with WW and her comic. WW has never been portrayed as a man hater in her comics. She has a lot of male friends and she respects them as much as she respects her female friends. She believes in equality and treats women and men with equal respect. Writers shouldn't worry about the people that misunderstand the feminist concept. The best way to handle this is by showing that Diana cares about men and women equally because that is the way it is in her comic.

Exactly. Feminism is such a feared word, but many female characters in movies that are loved and respected are considered to be feminist characters. Clarice Starling, Buff the Vampire Slayer anyone? Cat Woman! All at sometime have been considered and interpreted through that light. If feminism ever comes across as man-hating, be weary who you are reading, most likely it´s either a male writer who doesn´t know how to subtly deal with a character who is a feminist icon (sometimes female writers as well) or the writer has a purposeful agenda to make feminism out to be a man-hating set of theoretical beliefs. Feminism like Marxism, existentialism, liberalism, Realism, post modernism etc is made up of a vast tapestry of theoretical and ideological commitments, that diverges from each thinker, writer or social activist that has contributed to it´s rich history.

I mean it´s hilarious to me that people fear a theoretical approach to politics, social theory, aesthetics and philosophy. It´s like saying "man I hope filmmakers don´t get to hung up on Neo from Matrix being a postmodern icon in a remake, cause I don´t want to alienate general audiences by making Neo look like a Modernist hater" it´s dumb. sorry OP.

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone who believes in gender equality is a feminist. There is a difference between a feminist (a person who believe s in equal rights between men and women) and a feminazi (someone who wants unequal rights in favor of women and resent men).

So people might say "Im not a feminist" but if they believe in gender equality then they are.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klaus: A certain user (you might know who I am talking about) seems to think feminists are nothing more than feminazis and go out of his way to bash what they stand for.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Feminism is a collection of movements and ideologies that share a common goal: to define, establish, and achieve equal political, economic, cultural, personal, and social rights for women.

Egalitarianismis a trend of thought that favors equality for all people. Egalitarian doctrines maintain that all humans are equal in fundamental worth or social status, according to the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, the term has two distinct definitions in modern English. It is defined either as a political doctrine that all people should be treated as equals and have the same political, economic, social, and civil rights or as a social philosophy advocating the removal of economic inequalities among people or the decentralization of power. Some sources define egalitarianism as the point of view that equality reflects the natural state of humanity.

Dont confuse both terms anymore.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gjgp27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Gjgp27

Bruce Timm's version? You mean where she was a callous b1tch and acted nothing like her comic counterpart, her rogues and supporting cast was next to non-existent, and Timm used her to further rub his Batman loving peni-......err, libido?

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

WW has always been about feminism, the only problem is that she is often a straw feminist or she is shown as needing a more logical(steve) person to give her a more balanced view. If anything I fear they will do her dirty like they do in most WW media instead of trying to make her a dynamic well written character like i know she can be

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I like how we live in a world where fighting for social justice is considered a bad thing.

Yes, fighting for equality makes you an a-hole on the internet.

Nice.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Also, how does Bruce Timm's Wonder Woman have a nice personality?

She was a royal CUNextTuesday. Hell, Hawkgirl basically had to tell her she's wrong.

Her personality only changed when he tried to make her Batman's girl.